H E B coming to the DFW

TexasGary

13 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Not sure why they came and put them both in the same damn county. Would have been nice to have one closer to Fort Worth. 

HEB is methodical like that. They're slow rolling into DFW, and you're sure to see more. Having the stores located close to one another is all about ease of distribution with them also being fairly close to the three Central Markets in and around north Dallas. I think their closest distribution facility is in Temple right now which currently limits their ability to serve North Texas. Once you hear an announcement for a warehouse in, say, Midlothian, then you'll know they're going to blow up the Metroplex.

Edited by bolverk
there they're their
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This is great news and all but I'm patiently waiting for one closer to me in Dallas. HEB bought the Sun Fresh/old Albertson's in Uptown by West Village a few years ago and it's sat vacant since. I heard it was going to be a Central Market but feel they would've already done that if that was the case. Isn't Burleson about as close to downtown FW as the Plano store will be to downtown Dallas? Hell, it might be closer.

My understanding is that sitting for years and years on real estate that they consider strategic is kind of HEB's thing. Sometimes it's a blocking move to not allow a competitor to move in; sometimes it's a site they're actually interested in.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, bolverk said:

My understanding is that sitting for years and years on real estate that they consider strategic kind of HEB's thing. Sometimes it's a blocking move to not allow a competitor to move in; sometimes it's a site they're actually interested in.

Article indicated they have owned the Plano location for a while.

46 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Once you hear an announcement for a warehouse in, say, Midlothian, then you'll know they're going to blow up the Metroplex.

It will be Roanoke. That is the cold storage mecca of DFW and they are expanding afap.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Rumor a couple of years ago that H-E-B grocery bought a plot in the middle of Hurst-Euless-Bedford (north side of Cheek-Sparger a block west of 121).  Also land in north FW, between 820,287, and 35w (IIRC).

Yep. I sprayed that lot off Cheek-Sparger. They also own the old Safeway on Alta-Mesa. Some of them have been developed with other tenants. They have at least 3 properties on 380. One of which is the demolished trailer park in Aubrey. The other two I know of have been developed and leased out if not sold.

Those of us in Frisco, also known as the Chosen ones, or God' special children, get our shit first. 

Even though we already have Market Street, Kroger, Tom Thumb, and Costco.  We also have a kickass Mexican meat market in The Colony called La Paisana that has cheap fajita meat and righteous Pan Dulce.  

Plano already has a Central Market as well off the Bush

Edit

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Rumor a couple of years ago that H-E-B grocery bought a plot in the middle of Hurst-Euless-Bedford (north side of Cheek-Sparger a block west of 121).  Also land in north FW, between 820,287, and 35w (IIRC).

Please be true. I'm literally one intersection south of there. 

When I worked at the Tom Thumb at Legacy/Coit as a yute, it was the highest-grossing Tom Thumb in Texas. Now? It's become a ghost town as more options opened up. This news will make it worse. I won't be surprised if the shutter soon. 

Edited by Bruh Man

1 minute ago, Bruh Man said:

When I worked at the Tom Thumb at Legacy/Coit as a yute, it was the highest grossing Tom Thumb in Texas. Now? Its become a ghost town as more options opened up. This news will make it worse. I won't be surprised if the shutter soon. 

Alberston's already spit the bit up here.  Bailed on their Lebanon/Legacy location.  

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

My understanding is that sitting for years and years on real estate that they consider strategic kind of HEB's thing. Sometimes it's a blocking move to not allow a competitor to move in; sometimes it's a site they're actually interested in.

H-E-B plays the market with game theory calculations.  They buy property as a first mover advantage, and more or less dare a competitor to buy up property at a higher rate as the second mover, and double dare the competitor to actually expand on it.  They are an absolute cold blooded killer.  

4 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

H-E-B plays the market with game theory calculations.  They buy property as a first mover advantage, and more or less dare a competitor to buy up property at a higher rate as the second mover, and double dare the competitor to actually expand on it.  They are an absolute cold blooded killer.  

That's what I've been told as well with someone saying that you shouldn't think of them as a grocer but more as a distributor who's really good at real estate and that they are blood thirsty when it comes to acquiring sites.

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

That's what I've been told as well with someone saying that you shouldn't think of them as a grocer but more as a distributor who's really good at real estate and that they are blood thirsty when it comes to acquiring sites.

Yep.  THink of the amount of property taxes they've paid on undeveloped land in those locations over 7-9 years.  It's couch change for them, but it's not a drop in the bucket either.  They will let their competitors hang themselves and then develop a site to finish the job, quickly.  It's like watching halal butchering.   

• Hook 'Em 1

They’ve been sitting on a site in Oak Cliff/Bishop Arts and plan to build a Central Market there in at least 5 years. A regular H‑E‑B would work better(overall demographics )there but the site is too small.

We do have plenty of upscale Fiestas, Tom Thumbs, and Rio Grande markets though. Lulz

Yeah, I’ve been watching what they have done throughout Austin. Especially oak hill and dripping springs area. It’s pretty impressive

4 hours ago, bolverk said:

A tactic I've observed in Houston...

Another: they are kind of taking a Dresden firebombing approach to rivals, Kroger in particular. They encircle them with HEBs, and poof, the Kroger goes up in smoke. They just killed the once-beloved "Disco Kroger" on Montrose like that, and they are crushing the huge Kroger in the Heights now too. 

We have had an HEB in Granbury for about 10 years. About 5 years later Kroger built a huge store directly across the street, probably paid 4X as much for the land, at least. The HEB parking lot is always full, Kroger has probably a quarter of the customers. I worked in management for a small stint at HEB. The margin....1% (gross). THAT was the target margin for our store. We were close to the Super Walmart at 620 & 183, and the margin is adjusted for the demographic, and proximity to competitors. HEB has it down to a science, they are the most cutting edge grocer with the best house products, packaging, and marketing in the industry. We grossed about $9-10mm per week, so that was still acceptable to HEB for presence in the area. 

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
autocorrect
  • Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Yep. I sprayed that lot off Cheek-Sparger. They also own the old Safeway on Alta-Mesa. Some of them have been developed with other tenants. They have at least 3 properties on 380. One of which is the demolished trailer park in Aubrey. The other two I know of have been developed and leased out if not sold.

Do they own anything within the 288?

I can tell you that everything mentioned in this thread about HEB real estate practices is correct.  They own a shitload of land and will never build on 80% of it.  It's my understand they're the largest landowner in Texas but that could be wrong.  If it's wrong, it's close.  They do it mostly to keep other players out.

Also, CHIEF's post about their margins is correct.  They're a private company so they don't give a shit about margin.  That's why they're a better store.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

Do they own anything within the 288?

Yeah, the old car dealer lot that's a shopping area at the corner of Bonnie Brae and University, across from Academy. Once it was developed I stopped working it. 

The third one is towards McKinney. There's some kind of hospital and a Chicken E near that one. It has also been developed. The last one blank is the old trailer park. It has been a few years. They had about a dozen places around DFW. That's probably changed quite a bit.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I know HEB was very close to acquiring Brookshire’s a few years ago which would have given them a Tyler distribution center. Would be nice if they were to eventually make it to Tyler.

That would be fucking awesome if they acquired Brookshire's. Our little neighborhood store, about a half mile away, is Brookshire's based. It was a David's, and was bought out by Brookshire Bros. It has quite the Texas selection, but I would absolutely shit if it ended up as an HEB Pantry store. Just read, apparently they shuttered that approach, but they would have over 7000 people and a captive audience, if they bought our store out.

CHIEF

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

The great thing about HEB, and something you don't realize until you don't have one, is how Texas centric their products are. Their products are tailored to Texas' tastes, and meal plans. Yankee stores (Albertsons and Kroger) are rather bland and generic. There is a vast difference in their spice isle at HEB, packaged cheeses that are available, meat cuts, tortilla selection, and others. HEB has a strong South Texas and Mexican influence, along with Louisiana, fresh juices, and guacamole, a great seafood selection. They even own their own shrimping fleet on the Texas gulf coast. To me, they are the flagship company of what it means to be Texan. My first bill when HEB opened up in Granbury was over $1000, mainly restocking my depleted spice cabinet, and restocking on wine, and Texas beers. DFW is in for a real treat.

CHIEF

HEB is the only grocery chain in the world that would devote valuable floor space to a tortilla machine and it's complete balls.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CHIEF said:

That would be fucking awesome if they acquired Brookshire's. Our little neighborhood store, about a half mile away, is Brookshire's based. It was a David's, and was bought out by Brookshire Bros. It has quite the Texas selection, but I would absolutely shit if it ended up as an HEB Pantry store. Just read, apparently they shuttered that approach, but they would have over 7000 people and a captive audience, if they bought our store out.

CHIEF

Brookshire’s is completely different from Brookshire Bros. Different company, same area though.

6 hours ago, CHIEF said:

The great thing about HEB, and something you don't realize until you don't have one, is how Texas centric their products are. Their products are tailored to Texas' tastes, and meal plans. Yankee stores (Albertsons and Kroger) are rather bland and generic. There is a vast difference in their spice isle at HEB, packaged cheeses that are available, meat cuts, tortilla selection, and others. HEB has a strong South Texas and Mexican influence, along with Louisiana, fresh juices, and guacamole, a great seafood selection. They even own their own shrimping fleet on the Texas gulf coast. To me, they are the flagship company of what it means to be Texan. My first bill when HEB opened up in Granbury was over $1000, mainly restocking my depleted spice cabinet, and restocking on wine, and Texas beers. DFW is in for a real treat.

CHIEF

Absolutely all of this. They've got 3-4 (at least) of their own food stuffs manufacturing plants in San Antonio and a couple in Corpus and Houston. That's why they taste like Texas.

And they absolutely dominate South Texas, including the Valley, as well as having multiple stores in northeast Mexico, so they've got lots of distribution deals that allow for their products to cross over the river and add more flavor.

Once HEB fully penetrates the DFW market, maybe North Texas will feel more like Texas. To me at least, that area feels almost Midwestern.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

HEB is great. Honestly one of the most significant items in the "pros" column when doing a pro/con list for living in Texas. Hopefully the Butt family continues to hold the company an future generations run it with the same values. The day it goes public or gets bought by private equity, QOL in Texas takes a big hit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1