Brexit shenanigans

bernorange

Also, the process was insanely flawed, mainly by not giving the population a choice or clear picture on how the Brexit would go.

It's like asking during the Cold War, "Should the United States defeat Communism?" Yes or No?

(Never mind if that means a bunch of people are going to die) 

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Also, the process was insanely flawed, mainly by not giving the population a choice or clear picture on how the Brexit would go.

It's like asking during the Cold War, "Should the United States defeat Communism?" Yes or No?

agree 100%. A simple majority via a referendum shouldn't be used to reverse a previous decision. I would think 60, 67 or 75% should be the mark that has to be hit. 

1 minute ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Looks a lot like our dipshits fucking over what our major cities want. 

actually, the similarities between the communities that elected donald trump are very, very similar to the population that voted to leave europe. poor people in dying towns with industry leaving or having left.

• Like 1

Ughhhhhh

Y’all know I love the BRF but I’m SO disappointed in The Queen.

This and her harboring of Prince Andrew has supremely pissed me off.

She was a despised figure after she and her advisors botched the palace response to the death of Princess Diana. It’s taken her 20 years to claw back to the status of beloved figure.

And now she shits on her legacy at the very end of her life.

• Like 1

Boris may've overplayed his hand here.

As much as I think Brexit is a huge mistake and don’t want to see it happen...I don’t think Boris has made a mistake here. There is no political figure in UK that can stop Brexit and Boris doesn’t limit himself to conventional rules. Much like Trump.

Because the default action is hard crash Brexit, it’s going to happen. How long Boris remains PM post Brexit is open to wild speculation. All depends on if the fears of Brexit are wildly overblown or surprisingly accurate. But even if this is all that Boris accomplishes as PM, he will have marked his place in history.

2 hours ago, swraith said:

As much as I think Brexit is a huge mistake and don’t want to see it happen...I don’t think Boris has made a mistake here. There is no political figure in UK that can stop Brexit and Boris doesn’t limit himself to conventional rules. Much like Trump.

Because the default action is hard crash Brexit, it’s going to happen. How long Boris remains PM post Brexit is open to wild speculation. All depends on if the fears of Brexit are wildly overblown or surprisingly accurate. But even if this is all that Boris accomplishes as PM, he will have marked his place in history.

Or, you know, they could come back to sanity and have another referendum.  Lol, almost typed that with a straight face.  Brexit will be the beginning of a global downturn that will alter the course of history and could destroy us all.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Yea, he probably never got to sleep with a beautiful woman ever again.

Agree.  He's a famous dude.  She's a hot star in her own right.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if the deal was 'don't embarrass me'.  The 'cheating on Liz Hurley' probably wasn't the issue. 

Edit:  And I also have more faith in the Brits for some sort of an uprising.  We fucked up 4 years and it will take many more to clean up the oil spill that is Dotard.  The Brits could very well be fucking themselves over for generations.  Hard to believe but then you take one look at Boris and it makes complete sense. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc

On 8/27/2019 at 7:54 AM, Ghost of LL said:

So having just gotten back from a few weeks in the UK, I was struck by how normal everything is.  While I was there, the government memo came out predicting all manner of disaster should a no-deal Brexit occur.  And the general popular response was a shrug of the shoulders.

Part of it is that Parliament is on holiday.  But part of it is just general paralysis that permeates all levels of society.  It's like people genuinely think that if they ignore it it'll go away.  Or else it'll just happen, and there's nothing they can do about it so they might as well just muddle on.

There's no joy in it from the pro-Brexit people.  There's no dread from the anti-Brexit people.  They're collectively like an old man who is just waiting for death.

They've been putting out these memos weekly for three years. Why would there be the slightest reaction now? You either don't believe it, or you got outvoted. 

I was watching the BBC folks do the stories on "we're gonna run out of medicine" and "we're gonna run out of food" and I just wondered if the people telling the stories even believed their nonsense. If you'll pardon my bastardizing the cliche, every lie has been told but not everyone has told it.

Imagine you're a purchasing manager on October 1. Shit goes sideways. Your boss says "what happened?" You're like "Wait, Brexit, that's today? OMG I had no idea". Anyone who isn't prepared for the exit at this point needs to get fired. Three years of nonstop blabbing. If you didn't get the memo, you need your head adjusted.

Brexit is Y2K all over again. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Or, you know, they could come back to sanity and have another referendum.  Lol, almost typed that with a straight face.  Brexit will be the beginning of a global downturn that will alter the course of history and could destroy us all.  

Two weeks ago, Jeremy Corbin proposed a path that would guarantee (a) no Brexit, (b) a second refernedum, and (c) a general election. The unified, collective response was "Go home Jeremy, you're drunk." What more do you want? They rejected it by a large margin. 

Edited by Thetexashammer

Personally, I give zero fucks about England or the English. However, Northern Ireland voted to remain in the E.U. and a hard Brexit will likely result in the end to the open border with the Republic of Ireland. There are reports that police from England will be sent into Northern Ireland to secure the border and many of the Ulster loyalists are resistant to a United Ireland. This could potentially lead to a return to the Troubles. This is a terrible situation that could result in unnecessary generational violence.

Fuck England, fuck the Queen and fuck the Republicans supporting the tyranny of English rule.

38 minutes ago, F250 said:

Personally, I give zero fucks about England or the English. However, Northern Ireland voted to remain in the E.U. and a hard Brexit will likely result in the end to the open border with the Republic of Ireland. There are reports that police from England will be sent into Northern Ireland to secure the border and many of the Ulster loyalists are resistant to a United Ireland. This could potentially lead to a return to the Troubles. This is a terrible situation that could result in unnecessary generational violence.

Fuck England, fuck the Queen and fuck the Republicans supporting the tyranny of English rule.

Republicans? I don't know how they made brexit happen.

13 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I doubt it. This was a huge deal and the information was out there. Problem is people are lazy and stupid. Turnout was massive, so that means more lazy and stupid people who saw the vote as, "Britain First vs. Globalism".

I guess it kind of was.

The US should step up and guarantee as much trade to the UK as is needed to get them through their coming Brexit.  Sure there will be a few short term shortages.  What can't the US provide, albeit at a price higher due to distance of delivery, etc?  The EU will talk big and then capitulate when it is done +/- 6 months back to normalized trade with the UK.  There will be some disjointed financial job scenarios but evolve they will.  The fact the EU wants a big, essentially welfare, payment from the UK means to me it is a winning deal for the UK to rid themselves of the PIIGS as the world economy potentially slows down. ( PIIGS  defined)

can'twait.gif for Brexit.

5 hours ago, zork said:

The US should step up and guarantee as much trade to the UK as is needed to get them through their coming Brexit.  Sure there will be a few short term shortages.  What can't the US provide, albeit at a price higher due to distance of delivery, etc?  The EU will talk big and then capitulate when it is done +/- 6 months back to normalized trade with the UK.  There will be some disjointed financial job scenarios but evolve they will.  The fact the EU wants a big, essentially welfare, payment from the UK means to me it is a winning deal for the UK to rid themselves of the PIIGS as the world economy potentially slows down. ( PIIGS  defined)

can'twait.gif for Brexit.

I think it's much more likely that Trump start a trade war with them over Hugh Grant calling boris a rubber bath toy.

• Like 3

Just now, CO Horn said:

The majority didn’t vote for Trump. 

Well I'm pretty sure Trump wasn't on the ballot across the pond. 

Look, most of us here agree that Trump is an idiot of a calibre that would put the Schwerer Gustav to shame. This thread is about the folks who became our friend after we kicked them out with the help of the French, but then went to war with again. For some reason lots of folks still like their monarchy.

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Well I'm pretty sure Trump wasn't on the ballot across the pond. 

Look, most of us here agree that Trump is an idiot of a calibre that would put the Schwerer Gustav to shame. This thread is about the folks who became our friend after we kicked them out with the help of the French, but then went to war with again. For some reason lots of folks still like their monarchy.

My point was if fewer people voted for Trump than voted for his opponent, they should be President, unless you want to go against democracy.

3 minutes ago, CO Horn said:

My point was if fewer people voted for Trump than voted for his opponent, they should be President, unless you want to go against democracy.

Republicans/Tories: A majority chose Brexit - we have to go with Brexit

Also Republicans: A minority voted for Trump - GET THE FUCK OVER IT, LIBTARDS! HE'S PRESIDENT. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CO Horn said:

We are a republic, though. Not a democracy. While I probably dislike Trump more than you, I can still see the value in our system of government. Let's say the crisis with the Amazon rainforest prompted the world to form a unified government...do you really think that the area of the world with the highest concentration of folks should determine policy? We would all be dead or living in fallout shelters within a generation. The same is true for our system. The thing is, statistically, clutter happens. Data, almost by definition, almost always falls in a bell curve type distribution. There are always going to be outliers from the norm. Let's just hope that this is one of those. 

Just now, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

We are a republic, though. Not a democracy. While I probably dislike Trump more than you, I can still see the value in our system of government. Let's say the crisis with the Amazon rainforest prompted the world to form a unified government...do you really think that the area of the world with the highest concentration of folks should determine policy? We would all be dead or living in fallout shelters within a generation. The same is true for our system. The thing is, statistically, clutter happens. Data, almost by definition, almost always falls in a bell curve type distribution. There are always going to be outliers from the norm. Let's just hope that this is one of those. 

I know we are not a democracy. Now remind me the form of government in the UK.  Is it a democracy?  No, so fuck all democratic ideals because something is not a strict democracy.

3 minutes ago, CO Horn said:

I know we are not a democracy. Now remind me the form of government in the UK.  Is it a democracy?  No, so fuck all democratic ideals because something is not a strict democracy.

Look, I'm on you're side for the most part. Brexit is highly regarded, as is our president. But let's not confound the two or the means which they came about. If anything, it makes the case that majority rule can lead to disastrous outcomes, but so can representative rule. Eventually you are going to get a statistical outlier with any system, and it will not be good. Given enough time, the same will happen twice at the same time. 

16 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

A majority of Brits oppose no-deal Brexit. 

47% think they made the wrong decision on any sort of Brexit. Only 41% still support it.

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/in-highsight-do-you-think-britain-was-right-or-wrong-to-vote-to-leave-the-eu/

They really should get a second vote now that they have a better idea on the specifics, rather than pie-in-the-sky hypothetical they were sold on.

I wonder how long will pass before the UK starts a serious push to rejoin.