Brexit shenanigans

bernorange

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

47% think they made the wrong decision on any sort of Brexit. Only 41% still support it.

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/in-highsight-do-you-think-britain-was-right-or-wrong-to-vote-to-leave-the-eu/

They really should get a second vote now that they have a better idea on the specifics, rather than pie-in-the-sky hypothetical they were sold on.

I wonder how long will pass before the UK starts a serious push to rejoin.

Yep.   It's moronic to argue that, because a small majority voted for Brexit, they voted for it to happen no matter the terms.  But, that's where we seem to be. 

Edited by Mojo Hand

16 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Yep.   It's moronic to argue that, because a small majority voted for Brexit, they voted for it to happen no matter the terms.  But, that's where we seem to be. 

Ironically, Brexit presents a pretty strong argument against direct democracy referendums to make enormously consequential decisions that an ill-informed voting public are not fully educated to make.

• Like 1

Ironically, Brexit presents a pretty strong argument against direct democracy referendums to make enormously consequential decisions that an ill-informed voting public are not fully educated to make.

Well, it’s the moronity of treating a Letter of Intent as a binding and inviolable contract.
They approved the concept of Brexit. That’s an LOI. Once they did their due diligence and drafted actual contract terms, the deal is pretty shitty. They shouldn’t go forward with it.
That’s what every goddamned business in the world does.

We are a republic, though. Not a democracy. While I probably dislike Trump more than you, I can still see the value in our system of government. Let's say the crisis with the Amazon rainforest prompted the world to form a unified government...do you really think that the area of the world with the highest concentration of folks should determine policy? We would all be dead or living in fallout shelters within a generation. The same is true for our system. The thing is, statistically, clutter happens. Data, almost by definition, almost always falls in a bell curve type distribution. There are always going to be outliers from the norm. Let's just hope that this is one of those. 

there's no difference between these two words.  we're a democracy.  we're also a republic. they're the same thing.

• Like 1

We are a republic, though. Not a democracy. While I probably dislike Trump more than you, I can still see the value in our system of government. Let's say the crisis with the Amazon rainforest prompted the world to form a unified government...do you really think that the area of the world with the highest concentration of folks should determine policy? We would all be dead or living in fallout shelters within a generation.

You mean because it’s too late?

Oh, China.

We should spin the rubes off.

The US should step up and guarantee as much trade to the UK as is needed to get them through their coming Brexit.  Sure there will be a few short term shortages.  What can't the US provide, albeit at a price higher due to distance of delivery, etc?  The EU will talk big and then capitulate when it is done +/- 6 months back to normalized trade with the UK.  There will be some disjointed financial job scenarios but evolve they will.  The fact the EU wants a big, essentially welfare, payment from the UK means to me it is a winning deal for the UK to rid themselves of the PIIGS as the world economy potentially slows down. ( PIIGS  defined)
can'twait.gif for Brexit.

Who in the US should make this guarantee and why? The UK is moving to stand on its own. So let them do just that.

The UK is capitalist. The US is capitalist. Let the markets work out supply/demand balancing.

1 minute ago, swraith said:

Who in the US should make this guarantee and why? The UK is moving to stand on its own. So let them do just that.

The UK is capitalist. The US is capitalist. Let the markets work out supply/demand balancing.

Psst: Folks like zork don't really believe in free market capitalism; they're actually economic nationalists.

6 minutes ago, swraith said:

Let the UK pull themselves up by their own bootstraps. God damn America, so young and naive and just wants to give money away to countries who don’t need it. 

I'm not talking about giving anything away.  Just saying we should help facilitate them having access to whatever the US produces at market prices to the UK.(plus shipping as I alluded to in my post)  That lone act, even if purely symbolic in nature, will cause the EU to capitulate because they don't want to lose access to the UK market.  If the EU is stupid then the US products get more market share.  Win/win for USA/UK.

Trump is the US, the paper towels are the symbolic act or actual goods imported and paid for by the UK, the people receiving the paper towels(goods) are the UK:

PerfumedCharmingIndigowingedparrot-size_

What does the EU sell that can't be bought equivalently, more or less, from the US?(Mercedes?)

Edited by zork
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zork said:

I'm not talking about giving anything away.  Just saying we should help facilitate them having access to whatever the US produces at market prices to the UK.(plus shipping as I alluded to in my post)  That lone act, even if purely symbolic in nature, will cause the EU to capitulate because they don't want to lose access to the UK market. 

A US/UK deal will be killed in Congress. No deal will be made as long as the Good Friday Agreement is going to be violated, which it will with a hard Brexit. The UK will be on their own.

I'm not talking about giving anything away.  Just saying we should help facilitate them having access to whatever the US produces at market prices to the UK.(plus shipping as I alluded to in my post)  That lone act, even if purely symbolic in nature, will cause the EU to capitulate because they don't want to lose access to the UK market.  If the EU is stupid then the US products get more market share.  Win/win for USA/UK.
Trump is the US, the paper towels are the symbolic act or actual goods imported and paid for by the UK, the people receiving the paper towels(goods) are the UK:
PerfumedCharmingIndigowingedparrot-size_restricted.gif
What does the EU sell that can't be bought equivalently, more or less, from the US?(Mercedes?)

Why is this “symbolic” gesture needed? In the era of America First, what does America gain from such a gesture?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, F250 said:

A US/UK deal will be killed in Congress. No deal will be made as long as the Good Friday Agreement is going to be violated, which it will with a hard Brexit. The UK will be on their own.

As they should be. It's what they wanted. Why should we take a loss to help them out? They are ripping out their economic integration with Europe, and will be left with a gaping wound. It isn't our responsibility to give them free band aids. The UK has even less bargaining power with us than they have with Europe.

Shitheads like zork want us to give a helping hand because they want ethnonationalist homelands to be the thing everywhere. Zork will happily support brexit phase 2 as well when UK citizens of Indian and Pakistani descent are forced out of the UK. 

3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

As they should be. It's what they wanted. Why should we take a loss to help them out? They are ripping out their economic integration with Europe, and will be left with a gaping wound. It isn't our responsibility to give them free band aids. The UK has even less bargaining power with us than they have with Europe.

Shitheads like zork want us to give a helping hand because they want ethnonationalist homelands to be the thing everywhere. Zork will happily support brexit phase 2 as well when UK citizens of Indian and Pakistani descent are forced out of the UK. 

Exactly. Right wing nationalists in America want us to help the UK because if Brexit fails, it demonstrates that right wing nationalism is not a functioning ideology. The farmers, coal miners, etc... in the U.S. that supported Trump and the GOP are learning that hard lesson now.  We should in no way subsidize and enable that ideology by interfering with the market place doing its thing and applying its punishment. They made their bed.  

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zombie said:

Exactly. Right wing nationalists in America want us to help the UK because if Brexit fails, it demonstrates that right wing nationalism is not a functioning ideology. The farmers, coal miners, etc... in the U.S. that supported Trump and the GOP are learning that hard lesson now.  We should in no way subsidize and enable that ideology by interfering with the market place doing its thing and applying its punishment. They made their bed.  

This is precisely right.  As zork's post reflects, "America First" is nothing of the sort.  it is "White Ethno-States First."

I have no interest in the American consumer subsidizing the Midlands' fit of pique.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

12 minutes ago, Zombie said:

All of this.

They want to prove that the ethnonationalism, me-against-the-world approach is TOTALLY the way to go.  But they realize that, put into effect, it needs serious propping up to be viable.  So, what they REALLY believe in is "ethnonationalism is the way to go, and all we need is a huge co-signer on the massive check we wrote that our ass can't cash."

Fuck 'em.  The UK said "we can go it alone."  So let 'em.

That's right, burn all those filthy limeys! Let's make policy based on revenge instead of what is actually right or wrong. The conservatives can say libruls hate Jesus, and the liberals can pretend to be compassionate all the while screwing over those they disagree with. So business as usual, I guess. 

6 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Lulz at the America Firsters wanting to prop up the UK. 

Just wait until the GOP proposes funding to prop up the NHS while still refusing any type of single payer healthcare here.  That type of hypocrisy will absolutely be a part of any UK aid package the GOP throws out there.  We may even have to start pledging allegiance to the UK like we already have to do for Israel in order to bid on state contracts.

• Like 1

Just now, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

That's right, burn all those filthy limeys! Let's make policy based on revenge instead of what is actually right or wrong. The conservatives can say libruls hate Jesus, and the liberals can pretend to be compassionate all the while screwing over those they disagree with. So business as usual, I guess. 

Naah.  We should make whatever trade deal with the UK that we think would be mutually advantageous.  And you would think a country on the brink of a massive shift of its global trade alliances would already have some proposals drafted up and well under negotiation with the US.  Right?  Fucking clowns.

10 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Who cares about revenge?  The UK doesn't really produce anything at all that we need or want, and they aren't the cheapest producer for the products they do produce.  In order for us to do anything for them, we would have to either buy things we don't want or buy things we do want at a higher price.

They are about to restructure their entire economy.  The UK's economy is built on being the financial and services sector for the EU.  Much of that will now rightfully be moving to the EU.  They haven't been good at producing much else in centuries.

Edited by FondrenRoad

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Naah.  We should make whatever trade deal with the UK that we think would be mutually advantageous.  And you would think a country on the brink of a massive shift of its global trade alliances would already have some proposals drafted up and well under negotiation with the US.  Right?  Fucking clowns.

Fair enough,

10 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Who cares about revenge?  The UK doesn't really produce anything at all that we need or want, and they aren't the cheapest producer for the products they do produce.  In order for us to do anything for them, we would have to either buy things we don't want or buy things we do want at a higher price.

They are about to restructure their entire economy.  The UK's economy is built on being the financial and services sector for the EU.  Much of that will now rightfully be moving to the EU.  They haven't been good at producing much else in centuries.

but it sounds like they really don't have anything to trade. I'm fine with just selling them stuff as long as their money still spends. Maybe they can find a way to monetize the obsession american white women have with their monarchy.

21 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Who farted?

33 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Fair enough,

but it sounds like they really don't have anything to trade. I'm fine with just selling them stuff as long as their money still spends. Maybe they can find a way to monetize the obsession american white women have with their monarchy.

Nope, according to the Surly braintrust above their money is ethno racist and not wanted here.  Idiots.  It isn't helping them only, it is selling them our goods. The natural flow of trade with the EU will come back when their panties are un-wadded.  I estimated +/- 6 months and likely less unless there is an edict that says no trade with UK.  In that case the US gets a bigger better deal for longer.

What I believe will have zero effect on Brexit.  It is going to happen, we might just as well take advantage of the butt-hurt EU response.  

The UK has been a great ally.  Brexit doesn't change that in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, zork said:

Nope, according to the Surly braintrust above their money is ethno racist and not wanted here.  Idiots.  It isn't helping them only, it is selling them our goods. The natural flow of trade with the EU will come back when their panties are un-wadded.  I estimated +/- 6 months and likely less unless there is an edict that says no trade with UK.  In that case the US gets a bigger better deal for longer.

What I believe will have zero effect on Brexit.  It is going to happen, we might just as well take advantage of the butt-hurt EU response.  

The UK has been a great ally.  Brexit doesn't change that in my opinion.

Of course it doesn't change that the UK is our ally.  We should make whatever deal is mutually advantageous, now that they won't be covered by our arrangement with the EU.

What we shouldn't do is play politics and prop them up and give them a sweetheart deal to satisfy your ethnonationalist masturbatory fantasy vision of the world.  If they fucked up, and a regular bilateral trade deal with the US won't take all that pain away, tough fucking shit.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Of course it doesn't change that the UK is our ally.  We should make whatever deal is mutually advantageous, now that they won't be covered by our arrangement with the EU.

What we shouldn't do is play politics and prop them up and give them a sweetheart deal to satisfy your ethnonationalist masturbatory fantasy vision of the world.  If they fucked up, and a regular bilateral trade deal with the US won't take all that pain away, tough fucking shit.

You know who else is our ally?  The EU.  And Trump and zork want to actively undermine the integrity of their union.  Some ally we are.  Although, I guess we are doing worse for our allies in Asia where we have both cozied up to North Korea and left a power vacuum that China has been busy filling.

3 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Fair enough,

If they can't produce anything, they don't have anything they can use to buy our things with.

The UK grew within the EU by controlling a niche sector while being part of a larger market.  So now that they can no longer dominate the EU financial sector, I guess you and zork would like to just let them dominate ours?  Maybe we should just move the NYSE over there.

American white women can buy Chinese made baubles with the queen's face on it just like they do now.  That makes China and the queen some money, but does nothing for the average Englishman.

Edited by FondrenRoad

So supporting the UK is shitting on the EU?  WTF?  Macron and Trump seem to be getting along well enough.  

I never mentioned sweetheart deals, learn to read.   The EU minus UK will still be natural trading partners for each other once the Brexit emotions eventuality cool off.  It is just good business.  The US should fill the void if either want to be titty babies to the other on items that the US can fulfill.  That is a reasonable outlook on the eventuality that will more than likely occur. 

Brexit is happening.  That is not my decision but what seems to be the leading eventuality as the Queen herself just royally stamped by supporting the Parliament suspension.(no judgement, just facts) 

Fuck off with the white nationalist garbage as well.

So supporting the UK is shitting on the EU?  WTF?  Macron and Trump seem to be getting along well enough.  
I never mentioned sweetheart deals, learn to read.   The EU minus UK will still be natural trading partners for each other once the Brexit emotions eventuality cool off.  It is just good business.  The US should fill the void if either want to be titty babies to the other on items that the US can fulfill.  That is a reasonable outlook on the eventuality that will more than likely occur. 
Brexit is happening.  That is not my decision but what seems to be the leading eventuality as the Queen herself just royally stamped by supporting the Parliament suspension.(no judgement, just facts) 

If Brexit was so smart, the UK doesn’t need our “support.” We can and should trade with them to the extent it is advantageous. Like we do with the EU. If the UK needs anything special, then perhaps they chose poorly.
And the EU will negotiate individualized terms with the UK. They will use their leverage. The UK will use theirs. Who do you think will have more?
Ethnonationalist pipedreams. They’d be funny if they didn’t make shit worse for a shitload of people.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, zork said:

The below are your words.  Tell me what you believe the definition of "guarantee" is?  Backtrack away, but at least admit you are backtracking when you do it.

"The US should step up and guarantee as much trade to the UK as is needed to get them through their coming Brexit."

Perhaps you'll quit being called a white nationalist when you stop espousing white nationalist views.  You do know that you've been posting on this and related sites for at least a decade now, right?  There isn't anyone here that didn't think you were racist before you even stepped foot in this thread.  Your views on Brexit are just another drop in the ocean.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 2

The mechanics of a no confidence vote are.......interesting.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/08/29/vote-no-confidence-boris-johnson-win/

If there a no cofidence motion passes, BoJo likely stays Prime Minister but it's not certain. I'm still confused why, if there is broad public support for stopping Brexit, they haven't stopped it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-poll-idUSKCN1V21YG

Polling for a general election shows that Tories and Brexit Party have about 47% support. I don't know how that translates to forming a government. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#National_poll_results

Corbyn has repeated his proposal to avoid Brexit and is going to table a vote of no confidence. People already rejected Corbyn's plan wholeheartedly. Either they hate Jeremy Corbyn more than they hate Brexit, or they think a general election will simply put the parties who want Brexit back in charge, doing absolutely nothing. The Conservatives literally have a ONE VOTE margin now. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32810887  Brexit is automatic if nothing is done. 

Edited by Thetexashammer

Just now, Brisketexan said:

If Brexit was so smart, the UK doesn’t need our “support.” We can and should trade with them to the extent it is advantageous. Like we do with the EU. If the UK needs anything special, then perhaps they chose poorly.
And the EU will negotiate individualized terms with the UK. They will use their leverage. The UK will use theirs. Who do you think will have more?
Ethnonationalist pipedreams. They’d be funny if they didn’t make shit worse for a shitload of people.

Not necessarily long term.  There will be changes due to Brexit and possibly short term supply chain breakdowns on certain items till it is worked out.  Some will find other sources and I'm suggesting normalcy among trading partners will resume on most of it in the long haul.  

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

The below are your words.  Tell me what you believe the definition of "guarantee" is?  Backtrack away, but at least admit you are backtracking when you do it.

"The US should step up and guarantee as much trade to the UK as is needed to get them through their coming Brexit."

Perhaps you'll quit being called a white nationalist when you stop espousing white nationalist views.  You do know that you've been posting on this and related sites for at least a decade now, right?  There isn't anyone here that didn't think you were racist before you even stepped foot in this thread.  Your views on Brexit are just another drop in the ocean.

There is also mention of paying more for any of the goods that would have been coming from the EU due to the obvious shipping distances.  "Guarantee" at full price if available and with the extra shipping charges in place.  

My views on Brexit are largely that:

• the UK was giving more than they were getting,
  • the PIIGS are going to continue to be a financial burden that has so far just kicked the can further down the road and will be a terror when the global economy tanks,
  • the people got the chance to vote and decided to get out. 
  • They are going to finally follow through this fall, apparently
  • I'm a lay person who tangentially follows Brexit/UK/EU issues when it comes up

It wasn't clear till just recently that it was really going to happen,in my lay opinion, with May botching every step of the way.  Now it seems pretty clear.  (I haven't looked but I would think the Brexit gambling lines have shifted in the last couple months more towards Brexit eventuality than not)

58 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

If they can't produce anything, they don't have anything they can use to buy our things with.

The UK grew within the EU by controlling a niche sector while being part of a larger market.  So now that they can no longer dominate the EU financial sector, I guess you and zork would like to just let them dominate ours?  Maybe we should just move the NYSE over there.

American white women can buy Chinese made baubles with the queen's face on it just like they do now.  That makes China and the queen some money, but does nothing for the average Englishman.

Well if they don't have anything they can buy our things with, then why is the pound worth anything? As long as it is worth anything let them spend it. When it isn't worth anything anymore I guess they will either have to start producing stuff or stop buying stuff.

22 minutes ago, zork said:

Not necessarily long term.  There will be changes due to Brexit and possibly short term supply chain breakdowns on certain items till it is worked out.  Some will find other sources and I'm suggesting normalcy among trading partners will resume on most of it in the long haul.  

There is also mention of paying more for any of the goods that would have been coming from the EU due to the obvious shipping distances.  "Guarantee" at full price if available and with the extra shipping charges in place.  

My views on Brexit are largely that:

• the PIIGS are going to continue to be a financial burden that has so far just kicked the can further down the road and will be a terror when the global economy tanks,
  • I'm a lay person who tangentially follows Brexit/UK/EU issues when it comes up

It wasn't clear till just recently that it was really going to happen,in my lay opinion, with May botching every step of the way.  Now it seems pretty clear.  (I haven't looked but I would think the Brexit gambling lines have shifted in the last couple months more towards Brexit eventuality than not)

• They weren't.  I realize UKIP ran false billboards stating that, but the actual numbers show the UK was benefiting.  However, much of the loss will come from economic contraction.  The idea that the UK can have its cake and eat it too, or even eat from the same cake, is a pipe dream.  While the UK was inside the EU protectionist umbrella before, they will now be on the outside.  Can the NYC metro area still be an economic dynamo without the rest of the USA?  Its unlikely, but this is exactly the kind of break that the UK is attempting to make.
    • They and Eastern Europe are certainly problems, but they will affect the UK the same whether they are in the EU or not.  Most of your red states are stagnant money pits too.  Brexit is in no way an economic decision.  It was a xenophobic decision. The entire sticking point that is fucking up all negotiations is about labor movement and labor movement alone.  Everyone, including the UK, were happy with the trade terms under pretty much every possible new agreement.  They weren't happy with EU citizens coming into the UK.  Period.
    • Really, the only thing the UK wants is "same trade minus labor movement."  This is all Brexit is.  They love everything else.
    • So upon exit, should the people be allowed to vote for reentry?  Is a vote only permitted one time forever?
    • Maybe.  I still have my doubts.  Right now, you just have stupid brinksmanship and rules that can easily be broken.  In reality, they can officially Brexit followed by a month of hell resulting in Boris being dethroned, and the new government can ask for a redo and will get it.
Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Well if they don't have anything they can buy our things with, then why is the pound worth anything? As long as it is worth anything let them spend it. When it isn't worth anything anymore I guess they will either have to start producing stuff or stop buying stuff.

One could say the same thing about Somalia and whatever their currency is.  Nobody is asking that we guarantee Somalia anything, however.

20 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Corbyn has repeated his proposal to avoid Brexit and is going to table a vote of no confidence. People already rejected Corbyn's plan wholeheartedly. Either they hate Jeremy Corbyn more than they hate Brexit...

2cxjjc.jpg

Not a politician but spend a couple of weeks in UK last month.  Every Uber driver, restaurant worker, hotel employee and UK citizen I talked to was pro Brexit.  The immigration into the country is bankrupting the country.  The social services cannot handle the influx of new immigrants.  UK has very strict immigration laws and leaving EU will allow them to revert back to their own system of handling immigration.  Every article I read and protest I watched seemed to be of immigrants not wanting to register for visas or go back to their country of origin.  

• Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

Not a politician but spend a couple of weeks in UK last month.  Every Uber driver, restaurant worker, hotel employee and UK citizen I talked to was pro Brexit.  The immigration into the country is bankrupting the country.  The social services cannot handle the influx of new immigrants.  UK has very strict immigration laws and leaving EU will allow them to revert back to their own system of handling immigration.  Every article I read and protest I watched seemed to be of immigrants not wanting to register for visas or go back to their country of origin.  

You are a liar.   You say you were there for 2 weeks and EVERYONE you spoke to was pro brexit  ?!  How is it possible that the 50/50 (at best) coinflip scenario for you always turned out one way?   HHHHMMMMMM?  Then you post some xenophobic BS so divorced from reality that it's laughable.  Do you even commonwealth bro?

Fuck right off liar.  If I had to guess I'd say you probably have never been to the UK and likely never out of the country.

3 minutes ago, Loco said:

You are a liar.   You say you were there for 2 weeks and EVERYONE you spoke to was pro brexit  ?!  How is it possible that the 50/50 (at best) coinflip scenario for you always turned out one way?   HHHHMMMMMM?  Then you post some xenophobic BS so divorced from reality that it's laughable.  Do you even commonwealth bro?

Fuck right off liar.  If I had to guess I'd say you probably have never been to the UK and likely never out of the country.

I was also just totally in the UK.  EVERYONE was talking about how much they love Brexit.  So much so, they all voted for the Tories in the last snap election, but it was bullshit fake votes and illegal voters who gave Labour all those new seats.  And let me tell you, they were also talking about how everyone in London loves Trump.  It's true.  Those protests?  Bussed in people from California.  And don't even get me started on how random strangers would come up to me and like "can you believe John Podesta and the DNC refused to give their servers to the FBI and CIA? VERY SUSPICIOUS AND DISGRACEFUL!" 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

If you’re going to be a pathological liar, do a better job of it. For fuck’s sake, my 4-year old can see through this.