Brexit shenanigans

bernorange

21 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I'd rather my perfect hair, makeup and clothing get ruined by the rain than share an umbrella with you. 

Its difficult to say with certainty, but she does appear to be a bit rude.

• 1 month later...

Reads that the UK really showed the EU by screwing themselves over.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/12/business/brexit-reality-bites-in-britain-intl-gbr-cmd/index.html

• Lack of workers
  • products not getting to stores leading to shortages
  • loss of trade partners
  • weird border rules with Ireland that will pull Northern Ireland further away from GB

I’m sure there are EU businesses that were hurt by brexit but the EU countries themselves are managing just fine. I’m sure brexit apologist will just blame Boris and not that brexit itself was always a flawed concept. 

Reads that the UK really showed the EU by screwing themselves over.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/12/business/brexit-reality-bites-in-britain-intl-gbr-cmd/index.html
  • Lack of workers
  • products not getting to stores leading to shortages
  • loss of trade partners
  • weird border rules with Ireland that will pull Northern Ireland further away from GB
I’m sure there are EU businesses that were hurt by brexit but the EU countries themselves are managing just fine. I’m sure brexit apologist will just blame Boris and not that brexit itself was always a flawed concept. 

“Shooting yourself in the dick,” often to own the libs or some other stupid reason, is the dominant theme of this new century. Hell, even Texas football is all-in in it (except we don’t even have a reason for it, we just shoot our dick off for fun).

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

“Shooting yourself in the dick,” often to own the libs or some other stupid reason, is the dominant theme of this new century. Hell, even Texas football is all-in in it (except we don’t even have a reason for it, we just shoot our dick off for fun).

Take your negativity to the football board. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Brexit combined with global supply chain issues is probably no bueno. 

The British Soft Drinks Association said manufacturers have “only a few days” of carbon dioxide left in reserve to produce beverages and can’t import supplies from the European Union due to Brexit. 

In the latest sign of how a widespread shortage of CO2 is causing shock waves in Britain’s food and drink sector, most carbon dioxide suppliers aren’t scheduling deliveries earlier than 24 hours in advance, which means manufacturers have no visibility on stock levels or when they will receive their next batch, the trade group said in a statement Monday.

The U.K. also can’t rely on imports from Europe as a Dutch plant it sources CO2 from is prioritizing EU clients and the Norwegian plant is shortly due to close for maintenance for up to two weeks, the group said.

Supplies of CO2 have been hit in Britain after fertilizer maker CF Industries Holdings Inc. responded last week to surging natural gas prices by closing U.K. plants that make carbon dioxide as a byproduct. Rival Yara International ASA is also curtailing European capacity. The knock-on effect on the food and drink industry has been sudden and dramatic as the gas is used in a number of ways from stunning pigs and chickens for slaughter to extending the shelf life of products and producing carbonated drinks. 

The shortages are compounding an already fraught U.K. food supply chain that has been battling to keep shelves stocked due to a lack of warehouse workers and truck drivers as a result of Brexit and the pandemic. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-20/u-k-soft-drink-makers-have-just-days-of-carbon-dioxide-left

if this shit impacts beer production over there, shits gonna get real, lulz.  

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Brexit + the queens death will cause the reunification of Ireland and Scottish independence. Calling my shot.

England will eventually re-enter the EU and may even lose the pound in my life time. I’m 38.

I know …. Not really a hot take. But Brexit has killed the UK. 

4 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Brexit + the queens death will cause the reunification of Ireland and Scottish independence. Calling my shot.

England will eventually re-enter the EU and may even lose the pound in my life time. I’m 38.

I know …. Not really a hot take. But Brexit has killed the UK. 

I imagine that Scotland and NI are both sick of what is happening in England. I hesitate to even say London because I think its non-London English politicians/voters that have driven the bad policies and decisions.

2 hours ago, GopherRock said:

I don't know about England getting back into the EU, but I do think there will be an Irish reunification referendum in my lifetime.

UK PMs may have had it with referendums. They barely got past Scotland wanting to go independent in 2014 and then lost the EU vote.

Don't get me wrong. There are some in Scotland and NI that would want annual referendums until they get their way by independence winning. But you can't allow a group to continually vote hoping to catch the right time.

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

Tories are lucky they are a long way from a GE. They’re getting trounced in opinion polls by nearly 20 points 

They're not that fucking far.  They have to call a general election before the beginning of 2025.  

The Tories have had 12 years.  And you had a steady hand in David Cameron.  But since, it has just been a complete shit parade of Tory mediocrities.  And that's not an impression that goes away in a fortnight.  You would need a full two years to wash the taste of incompetence out of the voters' mouths.  And instead, you have . . . Liz Truss.

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Trickle down economics. SMH. 

It's just incredible.  It doesn't work.  It's never worked.  

But if it were ever to work, . . . it wouldn't be fucking now in the UK.  For fuck sake--nobody is going to invest in the UK right now knowing that those tax cuts are going to be rescinded in two years by a Labour government.  So you're just going to put a fucking hole in the budget large enough to sink the Bismarck and not get anything at all for it.

Fuck.  We knew Liz Truss is a goddamned moron.  And here--shock of my fucking life, Liz Truss is doing positively moronic things.

In happier news, I may pop over there and drop a few George Washingtons and watch the locals scurry for my hard currency.  Maybe I'll pick up a pad in Belgravia or two.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/26/2022 at 3:55 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

GBP worth a new low of $1.035. Has anyone on the pro brexit side ever come out to admit it was a big mistake?

As someone that is putting up 50% of the cost for a golf trip to Ireland next summer this week I just want to say thanks to that slag Liz T. and the rest of the wankers in charge over there.

• Haha 1

On 9/27/2022 at 6:13 PM, Ghost of LL said:

They're not that fucking far.  They have to call a general election before the beginning of 2025.  

The Tories have had 12 years.  And you had a steady hand in David Cameron.  But since, it has just been a complete shit parade of Tory mediocrities.  And that's not an impression that goes away in a fortnight.  You would need a full two years to wash the taste of incompetence out of the voters' mouths.  And instead, you have . . . Liz Truss.

They will hold off as long as they can bc ouch

https://www.wigantoday.net/read-this/labour-33-point-lead-over-tories-latest-polling-would-equate-to-346-seat-majority-3862745

What would happen if there was a general election tomorrow?

Election Maps UK collated the data provided by YouGov and found if a general election was held tomorrow Labour would gain 296 seats to have a majority of 346, with the Tories losing 304 seats, leaving them with just 61 MPs

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

In complete fairness, (1) British polling is notoriously terrible, and (2) a huge part of that is people who voted Conservative in 2020 who are now saying they're "undecided."  A lot of those people would end up voting Conservative again.

So, no--the Tories would not come out of this with only 61 seats.

On 9/28/2022 at 3:45 PM, Ghost of LL said:

There's a real possibility she doesn't make it to Christmas.

And if that happens, then what are the fucking odds that a person who is prime minister for just 5-6 months gets to be the one who presides over the Queen's funeral?  That's just amazing.

when your first official act is to kill the queen?  pretty good. 

today's episode of mark (blyth, a scottish economist at brown) and carrie starts with about 10 minutes of mark talking about britain over the last few weeks.  then a discussion of the upcoming US election and then a discussion of the italian election.  edit: and now on to brazil

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/mark-and-carrie/id1477483752

Edited by elfenix

Is this the start of the we done fucked up falling on the sword? Brexit is what happens when a whole party of idiots get played by a coordinated Russian disinformation program. We're seeing the same shit with the US Republicans. 

https://www.euractiv.com/section/all/short_news/brexit-leader-sorry-for-damage-to-eu-relations-calls-for-humility/

Leading Brexiteer Steve Baker emerged as an unlikely peacemaker on Sunday, telling Conservative party delegates that he and other Brexiteers needed to show “humility” and accept their responsibility for the damage done to EU relations during the Brexit process.

Speaking at the party’s annual conference in Birmingham, Baker, a former chair of the European Research Group, which supported a hard Brexit, said, “I was one who perhaps acted with the most ferocious determination to get the UK out of the EU, I think we have to bring some humility to this situation.”

Baker, who was appointed as a junior Northern Ireland minister in Liz Truss’s government, added that “it’s with humility that I want to accept and acknowledge that I and others did not always behave in a way which encouraged Ireland and the European Union to trust us to accept that they have legitimate interests, legitimate interests that we’re willing to respect because they do and we are willing to respect them.”

“And I am sorry about that because relations with Ireland are not where they should be, and we will need to work extremely hard to improve them, and I know that we are doing so,” he said.

Baker said that he had used the state funeral of Queen Elizabeth earlier this month to apologise to Irish ministers personally.

It marks the first admission by a UK minister of the damage caused to relations with Dublin and Brussels by Brexit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2