Mammoth WVH

hookem48

I want to root for the guy, but I have to be honest. If someone played the audio of this for me and didn’t tell me who it was, I think my response would be, “well, that was pretty average and forgettable.”  It will be interesting to see what else he does. The vocals were stronger than I expected. Rock on, Wolfie. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It's cool that he wrote it and played all the parts.  He obviously has talent.  I liked the first single, but it's not much more than a basic 90's alt-rock anthem.  This is different, but still hardly ground-breaking.  It's 90's "hard" rock.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to play guitar as well as he does, or sing, or play bass, or drums.  He has skills.  I just don't think he's transcendent . . . . like his Dad.

. . . and that's a really unfair bar to put in front of him.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

I want to root for the guy, but I have to be honest. If someone played the audio of this for me and didn’t tell me who it was, I think my response would be, “well, that was pretty average and forgettable.”  It will be interesting to see what else he does. The vocals were stronger than I expected. Rock on, Wolfie. 

maybe you were expecting more because of who he is. Even if someone doesn't like it, dude playing all the instruments on the album is fucking impressive.

22 hours ago, Handcruser said:

I want those vistalites. I almost pulled the trigger multiple times when they came out.

Should have.

I've always thought I should park a few thou every few months or so into a new release of . . . something.  I'm pretty sure a reissue Vistalite kit with zero hours, stored inside, would be a nice little inheritance bump for my kids, 40 years down the road.  Or a 2020 Corvette (or whatever year the mid-engine was released).  Problem is, I'd drive that. 

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've always thought I should park a few thou every few months or so into a new release of . . . something.  I'm pretty sure a reissue Vistalite kit with zero hours, stored inside, would be a nice little inheritance bump for my kids, 40 years down the road.  Or a 2020 Corvette (or whatever year the mid-engine was released).  Problem is, I'd drive that. 

I've thought this too.  But my problem with all that is - what the f use is it to me if it's in a closet or attic somewhere?  

Anyhow, I like this song, but the poor guy is always going to be compared to his Dad - unless he does enough cool stuff on his own like this.  So for his own mental health, I hope he keeps on doing and improving.  At the very least, that video shows me he has a good sense of humor.  He could afford to work on his look a little though.  I mean, Val and Eddie were pretty svelt (at least Eddie was...) in their primes.  Wolf reminds me of School of Rock era Jack Black.  

12 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

He could afford to work on his look a little though.  I mean, Val and Eddie were pretty svelt (at least Eddie was...) in their primes.

Shit ton of blow will do that to ya

Wolf reminds me of School of Rock era Jack Black.  

Yes, exactly.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/28/2021 at 6:59 PM, tbone_ said:

I think that’s a pretty damn good song.

I mean it didn’t hit me like eruption did but jimmy is right that’s a pretty high bar.

I think it's pretty damn good too but I'm ok with it not being something earth shattering.

• 5 months later...

So, that pretty good but not earth shattering song hit #1 on the "active rock" charts this week.

The whole album's out, and I've had it in pretty heavy rotation. On the one hand, a lot is like this song, extremely well-executed stuff you've heard before. But then he'll throw in a little lick, and he'll do that lick on three different instruments at once, and you're like, "Whoa." Guitar solos are rare... they're good. Not Ed good, but hey, I wanna hear that again.

Very catchy, sing-along-able stuff.

And then there's "Stone." Pass the doobie; that's the shit. I don't even know what that is, but I like it.

Have any of y'all heard it?

• 1 year later...
On 9/9/2021 at 5:02 AM, Nole-4-Life said:

I like what he's doing but damn he needs to get off twitter. He engages the trolls and it's just a bad look, IMO.

Seriously. He's the Derka of rock. Just keeps feeding the trolls.

but it's amusing sometimes

oh and there's a new album coming out probably being announced tomorrow so BUMP

On 3/22/2023 at 11:47 AM, Rimbo said:

And the official video video

Personally, I like it. I believe he’s pretty damn talented.  I also appreciate the fact he’s forging his own identity and not trying to be the second coming of VH….which would have definitely flopped. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

when you can show your band exactly how you want each instrument played is pretty damn good.

It's basically Smashing Pumpkins without the pretense of the band recording the songs in the studio, right?

On 3/22/2023 at 11:14 PM, NWBuck said:

Seeing him tomorrow night (with Alter Bridge- huge Myles Kennedy fan), so I'll report back.

Great show, and WVH is a really tight band. Wolfie is pretty low-energy, but his bass player really makes up for it... dude was the energizer bunny.

Wolfgang is great vocally (thank God he didn't get his dad's voice!) and very personable and engaging. They'll be back in Seattle opening for Metallica next- it'll be great to see them in front of a larger crowd (and outdoors... the kick drum was really over-miked tonight).

IMG_20230323_172915.thumb.jpg.2c8d014112dd74bfc7585427ec91cfd3.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The new album is out.

It's better than the first one.

I agree with @jimmyjazz's take above on the first album...

On 3/27/2021 at 7:56 PM, jimmyjazz said:

not much more than a basic 90's alt-rock anthem

Yeah. The new one's got a bit different character. There's a song or two ("Waiting") which I agree are pretty generic. But mostly not.

On 3/27/2021 at 9:56 PM, jimmyjazz said:

It's cool that he wrote it and played all the parts.  He obviously has talent.  I liked the first single, but it's not much more than a basic 90's alt-rock anthem.  This is different, but still hardly ground-breaking.  It's 90's "hard" rock.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to play guitar as well as he does, or sing, or play bass, or drums.  He has skills.  I just don't think he's transcendent . . . . like his Dad.

. . . and that's a really unfair bar to put in front of him.

The world needs Yngwie Malmsteens, too, I guess. 

On the human side of things, have a group of friends who owns a pinball collection just north of downtown Houston.  They reached out to Wolfy, and he and the band came by to partake in the games the last time they were in town.  By all accounts, they were very cool and had a great time.

I was already casually interested in the band, now I also want them to do well.  I better appreciate who they are and what they are trying to do.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

On the human side of things, have a group of friends who owns a pinball collection just north of downtown Houston.  They reached out to Wolfy, and he and the band came by to partake in the games the last time they were in town.  By all accounts, they were very cool and had a great time.

I was already casually interested in the band, now I also want them to do well.  I better appreciate who they are and what they are trying to do.

he’s playing warehouse live in nov 

On 3/21/2023 at 5:19 PM, Rimbo said:

He's the Derka of rock

Derka of Rock should be a band name.

His music isn't terrible but it's horribly dated. He's a young guy and it sounds like he's only listened to old-man music his entire life, I guess like most of us on this board.

If he freshened up his sound a little I think he would do better.

I like this song and video.

3 minutes ago, ajax said:

His music isn't terrible but it's horribly dated. He's a young guy and it sounds like he's only listened to old-man music his entire life, I guess like most of us on this board.

I mean... my son is the same way. We're definitely in a weak point for pop music right now, and it's been weak for a while. Kinda getting to be the way things were back in the days before the Beatles came along.

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

I heard this song last year - thought it was really good. 

The chorus reminds me of this one.  Notes:  Sheryl was 40 at the time and it might be the hottest she's ever looked.  Plus, classic Doyle Bramhall II harmony vocals.  The guy has a sound.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

15 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I mean... my son is the same way. We're definitely in a weak point for pop music right now, and it's been weak for a while. Kinda getting to be the way things were back in the days before the Beatles came along.

It's the opposite for me and my son. He's introduced me to some fantastic new music, the kind of music that I feel like I've been waiting for my whole life. As much as I love the music I grew up with, my favorite band of all time is a current band.

I think music is just fractured. The top of the charts is dominated by the most uninteresting stuff. There's awesome music out there, you just have to go out and find it.

(My daughter only listens to kpop. My god, being in the car with her is such a beating when she's in control of the stereo.)

1 hour ago, ajax said:

It's the opposite for me and my son. He's introduced me to some fantastic new music, the kind of music that I feel like I've been waiting for my whole life. As much as I love the music I grew up with, my favorite band of all time is a current band.

I think music is just fractured. The top of the charts is dominated by the most uninteresting stuff. There's awesome music out there, you just have to go out and find it.

(My daughter only listens to kpop. My god, being in the car with her is such a beating when she's in control of the stereo.)

Anyway, check out the new album. He's starting to diverge from the more derivative style of his first album and define a style all his own.

Except for the guitar solos. Where he sounds so much like his Dad...

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Anyway, check out the new album. He's starting to diverge from the more derivative style of his first album and define a style all his own.

Except for the guitar solos. Where he sounds so much like his Dad...

I took a listen to a scattered few songs. Not bad. Sounds slightly more modern. Sort of a Foo Fighters vibe.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ajax said:

I took a listen to a scattered few songs. Not bad. Sounds slightly more modern. Sort of a Foo Fighters vibe.

I got the Foo Vibe as well.

This solo at 4 min.  Close your eyes and it’s Ed.  Pretty cool feeling to listen to this.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Rip76 said:

This solo at 4 min.  Close your eyes and it’s Ed.  Pretty cool feeling to listen to this.

I thought that too... after a few listens, though, it didn't seem to have enough "brown sound" that EVH was known for. With the echo, it almost seems more Steve Vai-esque

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Rip76 said:

it's a hell of a solo... there's another solo in there I felt was even more Ed, but I'm still finding my way around the album