Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

6 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Is Avery Benson suppose to be our shaggy hair white baller who rains threes?

because I want one

no.  High energy, fuck them up on defense, make an occasional shot type guy.

IT on Carr

The Texas staff may not be done filling out the 2021-22 roster. With guard Marcus Carr not being invited to the NBA Combine, that makes it likely he will choose to return to college for one more season. With the expectation that the 6-foot-2 lead guard is leaning to another year in college, the Texas staff will make a run at the final piece to the roster. The Texas staff has some long-standing relationships with two people very close to Carr.

• Hook 'Em 3

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/page/earlytop25062921/texas-oregon-moving-way-too-early-top-25-college-basketball-rankings-2021-22

10. Texas Longhorns
Previous: 14

Chris Beard was never afraid to use the transfer portal during his time at Little Rock and Texas Tech, but he has taken it to a new level since arriving in Austin. As mentioned, the Longhorns have five of our top 30 transfers -- and it will be interesting to see how Beard manages all that talent, especially in the frontcourt. The latest coup for Texas was nabbing Tre Mitchell, who at the time was the highest-ranked uncommitted transfer still available. Mitchell earned first-team All-Atlantic 10 honors after averaging 18.8 points and 7.2 rebounds for UMass, including a trio of 30-point performances. Mitchell should immediately slot into the starting lineup, but that means the likes of former Vanderbilt forward Dylan Disu -- the SEC's leading rebounder -- and Creighton transfer Christian Bishop -- who averaged 13.0 points and 10.3 rebounds in the NCAA tournament -- could come off the bench. Or Beard could go with a bigger lineup and move Kentucky transfer Devin Askew to a backup role. These are all good problems to have in Year 1 at a big program.

Projected starting lineup:

Devin Askew (6.5 PPG at Kentucky)
Courtney Ramey (12.2 PPG)
Andrew Jones (14.6 PPG)
Timmy Allen (17.2 PPG at Utah)
Tre Mitchell (18.8 PPG at UMass)

Projected starting lineup:

Devin Askew (6.5 PPG at Kentucky)
Courtney Ramey (12.2 PPG)
Andrew Jones (14.6 PPG)
Timmy Allen (17.2 PPG at Utah)
Tre Mitchell (18.8 PPG at UMass)

I really don't think this will be the starting (or closing) lineup.  I think Ramey and Jones are going to be our starting guards and then Timmy Allen will play his natural SF role.  Then Disu and Mitchell as our starting bigs. 

Askew will be first off the bench and can sub for any of the 5.  If subbing for Allen, Disu or Mitchell, everybody slides down a position and we go small.

Then Christian Bishop is next off the bench and can again sub for any of the 5 and we can go big or small depending on the sub.

So when do you have to be out of the portal I guess is my question?  I mean first day of UT classes is 25 August, so obviously some date between 1 July and then?  Several of the transfers are already on campus.  Heck, one of 'em is my summer class next month.  I don't want to pressure Carr or whoever else we're talking to, but there's gotta some reasonable date.  Plus all the draft shit on top of that.  

27 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So when do you have to be out of the portal I guess is my question?  I mean first day of UT classes is 25 August, so obviously some date between 1 July and then?  Several of the transfers are already on campus.  Heck, one of 'em is my summer class next month.  I don't want to pressure Carr or whoever else we're talking to, but there's gotta some reasonable date.  Plus all the draft shit on top of that.  

By the start of classes, I’m sure. I’m sure July is going to be a domino of transfers in all sports making commitments 

On 6/29/2021 at 12:48 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Translation?  Big companies like Nike with marketing deals?  Or marketing firms?  

All the shoe companies splash all sorts of money around before the guys get to the NBA. If I’m them I don’t want my future stars in the D League I want them at Kansas and Texas and Duke and Louisville and UCLA and the like. 
I would imagine most 5 stars would get 6 figure deals with the top of the top getting 7 or 8 figure deals. No reason of you are good enough you wouldn’t get them before college. I like being a Nike school for this reason. 

Carr is a slightly less efficient J'Covan Brown who gets to the line like Isaiah Taylor (a lot). if Beard and co. could rope in his wild streak and get him to take better shots and focus more on being a facilitator first and then scoring when it's needed...

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886bwmhq2yaj8pe1zr6lk

this would be the most loaded Texas team ever. our scoring options would be insane. adding Carr would take this thing to the next level. 

Edited by shadow_operative

On 6/26/2021 at 10:32 PM, shadow_operative said:

I am so interested to see what all Febres is able to do in his one year under Beard. yes, he's essentially been nothing but a spot-up, catch and shoot guy for four years, but last season in particular he showed a penchant for getting blocked shots as a help defender. i'm very curious about his untapped defensive potential. he's a role player who will only get one year under Beard, so i don't expect him to become Avery Bradley overnight, but if he can shoot the three and have a presence on D then that will be a nice little bonus.

Forbes only had 4 blocks in 219 minutes last season.  That's not exactly a penchant for getting blocks.  He could be a decent defender but honestly his untapped potential is in moving without the ball on offense.  He could be pretty damn good on cuts and coming off screens for catch and shoot shots.

i wouldn't be surprised if several of his blocks were counted as steals. same thing happens to Jokic a lot. a guy is driving the lane and is going to go up with one hand for a lay-in or floater, and Febres comes over from the side or from behind and swats down on the ball before the shooter gets the ball up very high. and again, it's not that i think he's going to suddenly become a plus defender, i'm just interested to see if he has more in him than standing around the perimeter waiting to shoot. 

in soccer, whenever a truly major talent is up for sale/transfer, you pretty much know that the guy is going to end up at Barca, Real Madrid, Man City, PSG, Bayern Munich, or Man United. 4/5 huge names end up at one of those clubs. we just joined the equivalent group in college hoops with Beard, Maligi, and Howard running the show. Texas Hoops is no longer going to be largely recruiting from an in-state talent pool consisting of all the guys ranked below the dudes who will be going to Kentucky and Kansas; we are now going to be in the mix for all kinds of 5 star, top 10-15 nationally ranked players from all over the country going forward. our name is going to automatically be on that short list for 3 or 4 out of every 5 major recruits in America, the way Duke, UK, KU, UNC, etc are now. this is a whole new world for Texas basketball. god i want the season to start already.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

in soccer, whenever a truly major talent is up for sale/transfer, you pretty much know that the guy is going to end up at Barca, Real Madrid, Man City, PSG, Bayern Munich, or Man United. 4/5 huge names end up at one of those clubs. we just joined the equivalent group in college hoops with Beard, Maligi, and Howard running the show. Texas Hoops is no longer going to be largely recruiting from an in-state talent pool consisting of all the guys ranked below the dudes who will be going to Kentucky and Kansas; we are now going to be in the mix for all kinds of 5 star, top 10-15 nationally ranked players from all over the country going forward. our name is going to automatically be on that short list for 3 or 4 out of every 5 major recruits in America, the way Duke, UK, KU, UNC, etc are now. this is a whole new world for Texas basketball. god i want the season to start already.

How could you leave off the reigning champions of Europe?

But seriously, Texas basketball is pretty exciting these days.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

How could you leave off the reigning champions of Europe?

But seriously, Texas basketball is pretty exciting these days.

you make a good point though- Chelsea, Atlético, Juventus, Pool, Arsenal, etc- that's really the group we're leaving as we enter the absolute upper echelon of name brand programs. Texas Hoops is going from signing the Pulisic, Aubameyang, and Mane's of the world to being in play for the Neymar, Mbappe, and Messi's of the college hoops world. total game changer.

Guest Lobo

Who are three teams who've never been on Abe Lemon's radar while standing in his kitchen?  

This is what we didn't play in the Gotham Classic for?  5 out of the 13 non-conf. games announced thusfar.  I knew there'd be some directional school opponents, but to have 3 already as one "Classic", little disappointing.  But I get it, Beard needs time for these guys to gel together (I didn't expect us to schedule early-November with Michigan State).  But keep in mind 4 of the 8 OOC games are now spoken for, let's hope there's at least 2 more diamonds in this rough.  

Having said all that, the Sunday afternoon game before Thanksgiving between N. Colorado and Cal. Baptist at the Erwin Center in front of as many as 37 fans...should be a scintillating experience for all involved.  I'm sure the Cal. Baptist Lancers won't be remotely tempted to make any bad choices staying in Austin for a full week with not much to do except find trouble.  

Ah well, at least it's Longhorn hoops with competent coaching.  

Edited by Lobo

On 7/6/2021 at 12:39 PM, texifornia said:

Yeesh, is beating up on the Little Sisters of the Poor that much of a tribute?

This is actually a great tribute to Abe - the “Longhorn Classic” was started under his tenure and continued through the first couple of years of Penders. It was always us against a bunch of chumps at the start of the season and we always won in blowouts…

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

This Carr I’m guessing?

Yes.

I think Texas will land Carr.  A perfect one year rental for Beard and gives Askew time to develop further (remember, he was a 17 year old freshman last year at Kentucky). 

Kansas - landed Remy Martin and Agbaji is returning
Kentucky - landed TyTy Washington, Sahvir Wheeler and brings back Devin Mintz
Texas - landed Askew to replace Coleman, but has no legit second ball handler on the roster (depth chart would be Carr/Askew)
Louisville - landed Jarrod West and El Ellis, though they are from C-USA and JUCO, respectively.  But Louisville is the least likely of the 4 to be a Final Four team. 

Texas
Louisville

Kansas

(big gap)

Kentucky

Edited by Js1

In my view, the main risk this year is going to be chemistry, not talent.  If we get Carr, that gives us even more talent, but also more chemistry risk.  We will have all-conference guys like Ramey, who have started the bulk of their career, who will only get ~20 minutes per game. 

This situation is very different from when you have a bunch of talented freshmen.  In that case, everyone comes in expecting to earn their playing time to a degree.  Even Greg Brown, who most considered a lottery pick, didn't complain too much when he was benched late in the year.

For the 21-22 team though, everyone has already earned playing time through multiple years of solid play (and even awards in many cases).

That will be an interesting situation to navigate.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

based on what i've seen so far, i don't see chemistry being an especially big issue. i think that Ramey and Jones will be the team leaders from day one, so no real questions there. after that, sure, some guys are going to have smaller roles and maybe fewer shots than they used to, but as long as you're winning, it isn't exceptionally hard to get 13 young basketball players to all get along and stay positive. programs that win big don't have ego issues, because they get their guys to buy in. ego issues affecting team chemistry is more a thing in the pros, and when it does happen in college, 9/10 it's because you have one single guy who is good enough to deserve 30 mpg but who suffers from Russell Westbrook Syndrome. 

i think the much bigger potential  issue will be that the guys are all learning how to play together on the fly, and only have the one season with which to do it. on-court jelling takes time, and it takes game reps. you want everyone on the court to not only know his own role, but to know the strengths and weaknesses of his teammates, where they like to receive the ball, which situations they thrive or struggle in, etc. hopefully what takes place in practice translates to the games (this is not always the case), because that's about all we can hope for in terms of speeding up the on-court chemistry process. getting all the talent to become a well oiled machine by March will be the bigger hurdle to overcome. i

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, HookEm said:

In my view, the main risk this year is going to be chemistry, not talent.  If we get Carr, that gives us even more talent, but also more chemistry risk.  We will have all-conference guys like Ramey, who have started the bulk of their career, who will only get ~20 minutes per game. 

This situation is very different from when you have a bunch of talented freshmen.  In that case, everyone comes in expecting to earn their playing time to a degree.  Even Greg Brown, who most considered a lottery pick, didn't complain too much when he was benched late in the year.

For the 21-22 team though, everyone has already earned playing time through multiple years of solid play (and even awards in many cases).

That will be an interesting situation to navigate.

They haven't earned it though.  They have to put in the work to get the playing time.  

Beard shouldn't care what they did under Shaka or at Kentucky or Creighton or Utah or Vanderbilt.  It's what they do in his practices to earn time. 

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They haven't earned it though.  They have to put in the work to get the playing time.  

Beard shouldn't care what they did under Shaka or at Kentucky or Creighton or Utah or Vanderbilt.  It's what they do in his practices to earn time. 

Obviously everyone is going to have to earn their spot. But we wouldn’t be ranked #3 in that poll above if everyone had to reset every year with zero expectations.  The point is that if you were 1st Team All-PAC 10, you are going to expect a certain amount of playing time.  If you don’t get it, it is going to take some maturity and handling by the coaches to keep everyone positive.

None of that preseason poll  shit matters.  It ain't a beauty contest, it's a blood bath and war of attrition.

Texas will be fine.   and don't jump off the curb if they start out slow either.

You will believe either way... Sans major injuries, you're gonna be in the running.