Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

5 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Considering how easily the Zags took apart UCLA, I'm feeling better about our performance against them

Texas - lose by 12 on the road in Spokane, shot 44% and 38% from three and +1 on the glass.  Held Gonzaga to 54% and 37% from three. 
UCLA - lose by 20 at a neutral site, shot 35% and 17% from three and -8 on the glass.  Held Gonzaga to 56% shooting and 39% from three. 

Texas is going to the NCAA champ game.  Book it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Texas - lose by 12 on the road in Spokane, shot 44% and 38% from three and +1 on the glass.  Held Gonzaga to 54% and 37% from three. 
UCLA - lose by 20 at a neutral site, shot 35% and 17% from three and -8 on the glass.  Held Gonzaga to 56% shooting and 39% from three. 

Texas is going to the NCAA champ game.  Book it. 

And we're still missing a key piece in the paint

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Considering how easily the Zags took apart UCLA, I'm feeling better about our performance against them

Yeah- after being more or less non competitive with the Zags it was heartening to see UCLA smoked as well. Shows Zags are, for sure, right now at least, head and shoulders better than college basketball as a whole. Figured that was probably the case but nice to see it confirmed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

When you consider that we played them at their place and supposedly not many teams schedule them in Spokane and that was the first game that our kids played together in a game. I believe that all of UCLA's starting 5 came back from last year and they played on a neutral court in front of a lot of their fans.

As has been stated on this board previously, our team is a work in progress and I wouldn't be surprised if Coach continues to move players in and out of the starting lineup and having different players coming off the bench in different situations. When all of that is figured out, I like our chances in March. There are going to be bumps in the road but those bumps will make us better.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, realgreggym said:

When you consider that we played them at their place and supposedly not many teams schedule them in Spokane and that was the first game that our kids played together in a game. I believe that all of UCLA's starting 5 came back from last year and they played on a neutral court in front of a lot of their fans.

As has been stated on this board previously, our team is a work in progress and I wouldn't be surprised if Coach continues to move players in and out of the starting lineup and having different players coming off the bench in different situations. When all of that is figured out, I like our chances in March. There are going to be bumps in the road but those bumps will make us better.

Our defense is pretty disruptive most of the time with occasional lapses, and our offense is pretty stagnant most of the time with occasional flashes. But nobody can deny the talent/depth on this team. We don't have a superstar, lottery-type player, but we have quality all the way down the bench. If Beard can find a way to keep them all engaged throughout the season, and develop a semblance of an offense, we should just overwhelm most teams. Zags are a different beast, but we'll be a much different team should we meet up again.

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

Our defense is pretty disruptive most of the time with occasional lapses, and our offense is pretty stagnant most of the time with occasional flashes. But nobody can deny the talent/depth on this team. We don't have a superstar, lottery-type player, but we have quality all the way down the bench. If Beard can find a way to keep them all engaged throughout the season, and develop a semblance of an offense, we should just overwhelm most teams. Zags are a different beast, but we'll be a much different team should we meet up again.

You may be right but I believe that part of the situation on offense is that we are passing up wide open shots because the kids are extremely unselfish. Once they feel more comfortable playing together, that hopefully won't be a problem. 

14 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

You may be right but I believe that part of the situation on offense is that we are passing up wide open shots because the kids are extremely unselfish. Once they feel more comfortable playing together, that hopefully won't be a problem. 

There's some of that, but I also notice our guards consistently driving the lane with no idea what they want to do when they get there. They pick up their dribble and then start looking for an escape which more often than not is kickout back up top and a reset. The offense just isn't flowing yet. We'll get there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

There's some of that, but I also notice our guards consistently driving the lane with no idea what they want to do when they get there. They pick up their dribble and then start looking for an escape which more often than not is kickout back up top and a reset. The offense just isn't flowing yet. We'll get there. 

Exactly!

The thing that stands out to me is you can win a lot of games by generating extra possessions. 

Turnovers: 

Texas 55

Opponents 94

Rebounds: 

Texas 165

Opponents 147

Since the opener we are rebounding much better and that will drastically improve with Disu. If you're getting 10 or so more FG attempts than your opponent it's tough to beat a team like Texas with this level of talent. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

i really wish we could have held on to Royce Hamm, who appears to not just be a good rebounder, but an elite rebounder, averaging 13 a game and more than 4 OREB per game. he'd also be our most athletic forward, and his effort and help defense are both really good. he made no secret that he was unhappy with the way Shaka used him, and he left before Beard ever had a chance to recruit him to stay. even when Disu comes back, i think we will really miss Royce and his effort + skill set. 

• Hook 'Em 4

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i really wish we could have held on to Royce Hamm, who appears to not just be a good rebounder, but an elite rebounder, averaging 13 a game and more than 4 OREB per game. he'd also be our most athletic forward, and his effort and help defense are both really good. he made no secret that he was unhappy with the way Shaka used him, and he left before Beard ever had a chance to recruit him to stay. even when Disu comes back, i think we will really miss Royce and his effort + skill set. 

Rebounding you say?!?! While people focused on the design and lack of movement of Shaka's offense, the number one issue with Shaka's offense during Hamm's time on the 40 (outside of last season) was how atrocious we were on the offensive boards. What do you know he had the solution to his offensive woes riding the pine on his bench. You and me have talked about it before, but dominating the offensive boards is a tried and true way of increasing offensive efficiency. The Barnes' Longhorns routinely landed 20 to 30 spots higher in offensive efficiency metrics than you'd think solely as a result of dominating the offensive boards. I mentioned it before but I'd gladly exchange Hamm for Bishop on this squad. Hamm is much more lively and his frenetic (sometimes spastic) energy would be well suited for Beard on both ends of the court. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/25/2021 at 6:04 PM, pyrohornIII said:

So did they do something for Lemons besides wear the tee shirts all week?  I could have missed it, but after all the hoopla about Mike Wacker, I thought we would see a parade or something,  

Would have been appropriate to honor Abe by having all free throws shot backwards. Only Abe, ha!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Everybody I can remember from Penders to Dodds to Barnes to Smart talked about doing this, but in Year 1...Beard is making it happen.  Really cool move on his part and great way to tip the cap to both Gregory and Erwin Center before we head off to make trouble at Moody.  Looking forward to going to the game tomorrow even though they're not selling beer.  Hook 'Em Coach!

Edited by Lobo

during Shaka Smart's time at Texas there was some debate around here re: the following topic, and i feel just as strongly today as i ever have on the matter: i LOVE that Chris Beard called a TO while we were up big in the 2H vs some directional school, just so that he could chew out Timmy Allen- the guy who's been our best player this year- for some sort of transgression that really had no outcome on the game.

winning is not a sometime thing, it's an all the time thing. that's one of those platitudes that i *do* care for and appreciate, because it could not be more true. that winning DNA has to be so engrained in you that you treat every moment of every game as if it were the last possession of the Kansas game. even if you're up by 40 in a home November game, this shit matters. it really does. i honestly and reflexively let out a cathartic sigh of relief and saw a big smile creep over my face when i saw Beard tearing into TA. it's been six years since we've had a coach who truly believed in accountability, and in being up front and open with expectations, and i firmly believe that all championship teams operate this way. a small observation, but one of great importance, in my opinion anyway.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

during Shaka Smart's time at Texas there was some debate around here re: the following topic, and i feel just as strongly today as i ever have on the matter: i LOVE that Chris Beard called a TO while we were up big in the 2H vs some directional school, just so that he could chew out Timmy Allen- the guy who's been our best player this year- for some sort of transgression that really had no outcome on the game.

I think it was the opener when the women won by like, 300 points against UNO - but Vic also called TO up 50 or 60, livid at his team about some poor defense, stomping his feet and chewed them out in the huddle. 

Every single second of a game, no matter the score, is a teaching moment to coaches like Beard and Vic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doc Holliday said:

I really wish I was a student to be able to go to this game.  I hope it's electric AF and loud AF.  I get it's SHSU and don't care.  Make an impact and let's play a game in there every year. 

If anyone has a chance to go to the game tonight, go.  Of course, Gregory has been remolded but you get 7k kids at the game going crazy and it will be an atmosphere that most have never seen before. Hopefully the band will be there as well. Go.

20 hours ago, Lobo said:

Everybody I can remember from Penders to Dodds to Barnes to Smart talked about doing this, but in Year 1...Beard is making it happen.  Really cool move on his part and great way to tip the cap to both Gregory and Erwin Center before we head off to make trouble at Moody.  Looking forward to going to the game tomorrow even though they're not selling beer.  Hook 'Em Coach!

20 hours ago, Lobo said:

On 11/25/2021 at 9:00 AM, Blotto said:

25 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Gregory is a nightmare to plan for from the sound of things. I think basketball capacity is less than 4K total. Prioritizing season ticket holders becomes a chore which is why this is students only. 

It should stay students only, imo.  Build the fire and fanbase for students there while making it special.  Then bring that passion over to the drum and new facilities eventually.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

Many of us have been calling for this. We should play at least 5 games each mbb/wbb at Gregory. No question it would be great for our brand but our AD has not a clue. Hope Beard makes this a tradition.

Disagree with this with Moody being built. If we still had the FEC, them maybe.  Moody will be small enough that it will be the near perfect size arena for us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Disagree with this with Moody being built. If we still had the FEC, them maybe.  Moody will be small enough that it will be the near perfect size arena for us. 

We'll find out soon enough, hope it does deliver. Gregory should remain, even as a token for 1 game. Nothing but upside for the mbb/wbb brand.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Goodman said:

Many of us have been calling for this. We should play at least 5 games each mbb/wbb at Gregory. No question it would be great for our brand but our AD has not a clue. Hope Beard makes this a tradition.

Who exactly do you think is the AD who set this up and the first one to do so in 44 years??  Some of y’all are clueless and have football blinders after a down year, every other sport is literally in the top 20 if not top 10.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Who exactly do you think is the AD who set this up and the first one to do so in 44 years??  Some of y’all are clueless and have football blinders after a down year, every other sport is literally in the top 20 if not top 10.  

I would have thought it was Beard's idea but dunno, good on CDC then.