Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

^
Pos Rep.  I'm trying to figure out how to blend in, not going well.  I keep trying to drop hip lingo like, "I am just plum excited to be here", "I haven't seen a crowd like this since the Anita Bryant concert", and "If we're gonna be standing like this all night, can I at least get some more comfortable footwear?"  

They did have a beer tent at the Tower party earlier.  The burnt orange yoga pant(age)/pantaloon(ians)?  is quite abundant.  

7 hours ago, Goodman said:

Many of us have been calling for this. We should play at least 5 games each mbb/wbb at Gregory. No question it would be great for our brand but our AD has not a clue. Hope Beard makes this a tradition.

Why is CDC getting criticism on this?  He's working with Beard to make this happen and make it an annual thing.

5 games per year?  Never gonna happen.  You can't take that many games off of the season ticket package.  This is students only so it's basically zero ticket revenue.

• Hook 'Em 1

Do the math fellas.  Our home non-conf. slate is very typically 8 games.  This year it was 10 games.  That was because they wanted to bake in the Lemons Classic as one date which would free up one actual calendar date so we could do this one game at Gregory and not impede the feelings of season ticket buyers who usually expect 8-9 home games on the non-conf. side.  

To further mitigate their concerns, there are actually several hundred courtside/suite holders here tonight at Gregory peppered throughout the crowd.  It was advertised as this "student appreciation" deal, but there's plenty of big donors here.  Myself however, am a guy in swim trunks from the lap pool, looking for the beer tent.  

I really need to watch that show, I had no idea who this guy was until I imdb'd it...he's kind of a big character on a big show (then again, I'm the idiot that thought Gregory Gym's Shake Smart was named after Shaka Smart).  This is awesome for students.  Chris is obviously trying to connect himself as much to the university as possible, little things like this and last night go a long way. 

What would go a really long way is for us to beat the shit out of those Jersey Fuckbags---Seton Hall next week.  Gotta rebound better against a team like Seton Hall.  They are exceptionally good on the offensive glass.  They shoot okay, but not great.  So no need to give them more chances.  Great defensive team as well.  I assume Thursday nights just outside Newark is gonna be rowdy and loud?  I know, I know...we gotta take care of UT-RGV first.  Okay ladies. 

We've got to rebound better, with or without Disu.  Size like Bishop and Mitchell and some really big wings/guards...we are underperforming there. 

As another Coach with a great Beard once said, "Zerschmettere das Glas."  The Glass.  Crash...the Glass! 

and ftr, the fact that hawaiian shirt guy stood out like a sore thumb simply because he was enthusiastic only proves my point. but good for him. i'm glad that his enthusiasm was rewarded with such a cool experience. Coach Beard is the fucking man. The whole reason i was/am disappointed in the students' apathy towards being loud or excited is how hard Beard has been working to create a great basketball environment. hopefully this hawaiian shirt guy episode will inspire more students to act like they care when they come to the games. 

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

and ftr, the fact that hawaiian shirt guy stood out like a sore thumb simply because he was enthusiastic only proves my point. but good for him. i'm glad that his enthusiasm was rewarded with such a cool experience. Coach Beard is the fucking man. The whole reason i was/am disappointed in the students' apathy towards being loud or excited is how hard Beard has been working to create a great basketball environment. hopefully this hawaiian shirt guy episode will inspire more students to act like they care when they come to the games. 

even Beard knows it will take some time and most importantly some real success on the court.  He is doing all this so that if this year is a success on the court that when we open Moody he gets a rabid student section and it is a "must be at" student experience.

he's coached in the Erwin Center many times.  he knows what the mausoleum is like.  he's determined to change it by being engaged and winning.   we are never going to be Duke, as this is a football school, but we can be pretty damn good if we are winning.

Seton Hall won't be easy on the road but their Michigan win is starting to make more sense now. 

Michigan is terrible. L to Seton Hall, blown out by Arizona, blown out by UNC, and struggled with teams like Tarleton State. Seton Hall may have only played 1 tournament team so far and it was a L to Ohio State (although close). 

12 hours ago, Red Five said:

Is Carr on a pitch count or something? What’s going on there. He scored 20 ppg in the Big 10 last year.

The team is stacked, a lot of these guys can score. Mitchell and Allen have hovered around 20ppg in recent years and we've all witnessed what Andrew Jones can do. I don't see any cause for concern when Texas is winning these games by  extremely large margins, if someone has an off night there are plenty to step up and replace that production.

Edited by Chad

20 hours ago, Red Five said:

Is Carr on a pitch count or something? What’s going on there. He scored 20 ppg in the Big 10 last year.

Carr was an inefficient scorer. 

Texas will probably need more from Carr but this tells me Beard has control of the team. Carr was jacking 20 shots a night at Minnesota. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, we need Carr's 7apg from two seasons ago more than we need his 19ppg from last season here at Texas.  As stated above, he's a career 39% shooter from the field (34%bta).  Not terribly efficient for a PG to be shooting 15 times a night at that clip, Minnesota really needed his scoring much more than we do.  He's been great at not turning the ball over and defense this season thus far.  Hope that continues.  

i compared Carr to J'Covan when we signed him, and like JB, Carr will have his nights where he is feeling it, and on those nights he will really showcase his ability to score in a multitude of ways. but on most nights, when he isn't lighting it up from early on, having him as our primary ball handler and distributor is definitely the way to go. 

Well darnnit Coach, I'll bite.  Which show are y'all gonna take in?  Pretty amazing we can get 20 tickets at the last minute like this.  

I'd like to think they're gonna see "Rochelle, Rochelle"  

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

Well darnnit Coach, I'll bite.  Which show are y'all gonna take in?  Pretty amazing we can get 20 tickets at the last minute like this.  

I'd like to think they're gonna see "Rochelle, Rochelle"  

They seem more like a Sack Lunch crowd.

(Prognosis Negative if it's a twinbill.)

• Like 1

I didn't realize 'Sack Lunch' had been adapted from screen to stage.  Damn, I'll have to check that out.  

Kinda gives away the plot though...obviously for Broadway, they have to be regular size inside of a very large lunch sack.  For production purposes.  You can't have them be super small like you could in a movie.  Thanks for spoiling it, asshole!

Just gonna berate the point.  We really need this win for our tournament resume.  Obviously the Big XII's depth will pad our RPI, but our non-conf. schedule isn't terribly strong this season.  We need at least a split with Seton Hall and Tennessee, preferably a sweep.  And have to beat Stanford in Nevada.  The team is obviously coming together, we're all watching it unfold in real time.  But it's not quite where I thought it'd be on the offensive end and on the glass.  And we're out of time to hone those skills.  

Thursday night is gonna be fun for Longhorn fans though...Seton Hall game at 5:30p on FS1, Women's Volleyball Sweet 16 right afterwards on ESPNU.  Christmas party I have to attend better have a TV on somewhere.

I’m cool with Carr’s defense and ball security … I’m also good with him being selective on shots… the only thing I’d like to see him do 2-4 more times a game is aggressively drive the lane and maybe draw a foul doing so… he’s been showing an odd preference to plant and pivot to pass back at times when he has his man beat to the basket

We are getting to the point in our schedule where no having Disu’s presence for defense and rebounding is going to be a problem

Allen and Cunningham and the redneck musketeer covering minutes inside will work against the directional religious schools but won’t cut it against top 50 teams with height.

We have a good team with a clear susceptibility at the moment… there were even points in the UTRGV game where they took advantage of our lack of interior presence

All said I like a lot about this team … the seton hall game will show us if we can offset height and rebounding deficiencies with defense, aggression and outside shooting to the extent necessary to beat the taller, wider, equally athletic teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/7/2021 at 10:58 AM, VinyVango said:

I’m cool with Carr’s defense and ball security … I’m also good with him being selective on shots… the only thing I’d like to see him do 2-4 more times a game is aggressively drive the lane and maybe draw a foul doing so… he’s been showing an odd preference to plant and pivot to pass back at times when he has his man beat to the basket

We are getting to the point in our schedule where no having Disu’s presence for defense and rebounding is going to be a problem

Allen and Cunningham and the redneck musketeer covering minutes inside will work against the directional religious schools but won’t cut it against top 50 teams with height.

We have a good team with a clear susceptibility at the moment… there were even points in the UTRGV game where they took advantage of our lack of interior presence

All said I like a lot about this team … the seton hall game will show us if we can offset height and rebounding deficiencies with defense, aggression and outside shooting to the extent necessary to beat the taller, wider, equally athletic teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Musketeer is a gamer.   Talk shit all you want...he shows up and fucks up other teams/ provides a big boost to his own squad.

Patience...