Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

We have a very kind stretch leading up to the Tennessee game. Which means after the Tennessee game we hit the meat grinder.

Coming up is:

OU

@ISU

KSU

OSU

@TCU

Tenn

Honestly - that needs to be 4 wins. Whether that's 4-1 with a loss to Tenn or 3-2 with a win shouldn't matter too much - assuming Tenn doesn't completely suck dick down the stretch.

If we go 3-3 we are really going to be looking down the barrel. Here are the next 5 after Tenn:

@TTU

ISU

KU

@Baylor

@OU

Russian Reaction GIF

We get a bit of respite after that with Tech and TCU at home before we finish in Morgantown, Baylor in Austin and then Lawrence. 10 wins or better in conference is starting to look like a great result for this team. I'd probably take 9-9.

Hold onto your butts, folks. It's gonna be a doozy.

7 hours ago, ChessAmerika said:

Beard does not have a good track record with highly rated recruits. 

These highly prized recruits figure out very quickly that they want to play in an offense where they can show out. That is not Beard’s offense. Seems to me he might want to better target his recruiting to guys who fit his system and let fans hyperventilate over the stars.   Getting or earning the reputation that he runs good players off won’t serve him well long term.

32 minutes ago, Satchel said:

These highly prized recruits figure out very quickly that they want to play in an offense where they can show out. That is not Beard’s offense. Seems to me he might want to better target his recruiting to guys who fit his system and let fans hyperventilate over the stars.   Getting or earning the reputation that he runs good players off won’t serve him well long term.

It's not Adams' either, and Tyson has to know that, so I don't know if I buy that being the reason he's not a good fit. More than likely he just needs a year or two to develop to be a good Big 12 player. That isn't really what Beard likes to do, based on his track record. Not saying he can't do it, but he seems to prefer guys that are immediate contributors, which not every highly rated HS prospect will be.

Edited by Brian Fantana

6 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

It's not Adams' either, and Tyson has to know that, so I don't know if I buy that being the reason he's not a good fit. More than likely he just needs a year or two to develop to be a good Big 12 player. That isn't really what Beard likes to do, based on his track record. Not saying he can't do it, but he seems to prefer guys that are immediate contributors, which not every highly rated HS prospect will be.

It’s early, but Adam’s new offense is unlike Beard’s.

26 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Jaylon Tyson thinks he should be getting regular, meaningful PT on this team right now, and Chris Bears disagrees. if that constitutes "running off highly rated recruits" then that's sad.

Do you know that to be a fact or are you making an educated guess? Mark Adams is not going to promise or hand him PT either, and I'm sure Tyson knows that, so I'm skeptical of that being a major motivator. If he wanted guaranteed PT there are a hundred other places he could go instead.

The "running off talent" narrative just comes from how Beard operates and some people just not understanding how you have to play the game now with the transfer portal. Based on past experience, Beard is going to play the transfer market aggressively while still pulling in the best HS recruits he can, and he won't spend a significant amount of time developing a player. From my experience, a significant amount of time is more or less any longer than a single offseason. If you don't come around in that time period, you're likely to get told you should look elsewhere, that's just how he operates. It's high risk, high reward, but if you get enough hits every year you're probably going to be a contender every year.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

Jaylon Tyson thinks he should be getting regular, meaningful PT on this team right now, and Chris Bears disagrees. if that constitutes "running off highly rated recruits" then that's sad.

It’s such a dumb narrative because it’s not unique to Beard at all. It happens all over the country. The same exact thing is happening with Schaefer right now and a highly ranked recruit not getting big minutes. 

When the 5 star FR get minutes next year they won’t go anywhere. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

We have a very kind stretch leading up to the Tennessee game. Which means after the Tennessee game we hit the meat grinder.

Coming up is:

OU

@ISU

KSU

OSU

@TCU

Tenn

Honestly - that needs to be 4 wins. Whether that's 4-1 with a loss to Tenn or 3-2 with a win shouldn't matter too much - assuming Tenn doesn't completely suck dick down the stretch.

If we go 3-3 we are really going to be looking down the barrel. Here are the next 5 after Tenn:

@TTU

ISU

KU

@Baylor

@OU

Russian Reaction GIF

We get a bit of respite after that with Tech and TCU at home before we finish in Morgantown, Baylor in Austin and then Lawrence. 10 wins or better in conference is starting to look like a great result for this team. I'd probably take 9-9.

Hold onto your butts, folks. It's gonna be a doozy.

I did the maths in my head and I think you should be 4-1 in that stretch going into the TN game. No worse than 3-2. 

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Tech is still 308th in adjusted tempo on KenPom.  They’re barely playing at a faster pace than us, but our adjusted offensive efficiency is actually higher.  

He would have gone to somewhere like Arkansas if he was making his decision based on wanting a different offensive style and pace.

Who knows? Here’s what he said when he signed with Beard. 

"They showed love from the jump and didn't hop on the wave after and showed mad love ever since," Tyson said of his decision in a Texas Tech release on Nov. 11, 2020. "Also always gives me ways to get better. Tech has the best head coach, assistants, trainers and strength coach in the country. I'm looking forward to winning a national championship

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Tech is still 308th in adjusted tempo on KenPom.  They’re barely playing at a faster pace than us, but our adjusted offensive efficiency is actually higher.  

He would have gone to somewhere like Arkansas if he was making his decision based on wanting a different offensive style and pace.

I don't know that pace is the #1 issue with players. Our offensive sets often call for 3 or 4 players inside of the 3 point line. Granted we have constant movement, but alignments like that make for limited space when a player has the ball below the foul line extended. . 

38 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Who knows? Here’s what he said when he signed with Beard. 

"They showed love from the jump and didn't hop on the wave after and showed mad love ever since," Tyson said of his decision in a Texas Tech release on Nov. 11, 2020. "Also always gives me ways to get better. Tech has the best head coach, assistants, trainers and strength coach in the country. I'm looking forward to winning a national championship

Yeah the player development guy Beard brought along made his bones early in Lebron's career in Cleveland, which is a big reason why there's so much buzz surrounding Bronny James' interest in us.  

18 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yeah the player development guy Beard brought along made his bones early in Lebron's career in Cleveland, which is a big reason why there's so much buzz surrounding Bronny James' interest in us.  

This is another one of those “wins” that really don’t matter in the long run.

23 minutes ago, TxTower said:

Bad Idea Jeans

Seasons already half over and with 8 Seniors graduating here, he would be almost guaranteed playing time next year.

Kids these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

End of the day it opens up a scholarship for Sark to use, No worries from me as we need a LB or WR.

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Better not get too high after this win. Iowa State is a Sweet 16 caliber team and almost beat Kansas in Lawrence tonight. 

This is going to be a grind. 

Hilton has been as much a house of horrors for us as places like GIA and Phog. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

lotta people in this thread who owe AJ1 an apology. 

I'm comfortable with lamenting his short comings when he isn't playing well. I'm also quick to give him credit when he does play well. 

Ultimately I wish he had more games like he had tonight. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Maybe I'm wrong here but to me it looks like Carr is much better when Askew is on the court. I'm starting to think Carr is just a 2 guard and much better when somebody like Askew handles the point. 

Definitely seems like it, and Askew’s continued improvement is making that lineup more viable. I hope we can keep showing this kind of improvement on offense. This team was a joy to watch tonight. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

BIG 12

CONF W-L TOP 25          
3-1 15-1 2-1          
3-1 13-3 0-2          
2-1 13-2 1-1          
2-1 12-3 3-2          
2-2 12-4 3-2          
2-1 13-2 1-1          
1-2 8-6 1-2          
1-3 13-3 3-2          
TCU Horned FrogsTCU
0-1 10-2 0-1          
0-3 8-6 0-3          
Edited by LTtxfan

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

BIG 12

CONF W-L TOP 25          
3-1 15-1 2-1          
3-1 13-3 0-2          
2-1 13-2 1-1          
2-1 12-3 3-2          
2-2 12-4 3-2          
2-1 13-2 1-1          
1-2 8-6 1-2          
1-3 13-3 3-2          
TCU Horned FrogsTCU
0-1 10-2 0-1          
0-3 8-6 0-3          

pulp-fiction-winston-wolfe.gif.81bbb794bf3a0b32150f854927395c4b.gif

• Haha 4

Win in Ames and we start playing with some house money with the chance to put the screws on the next 3 opponents. 

You always worry about getting too high - especially early in conference play - but this team has sorely needed some confidence and swagger. They came out with it tonight and played one of their best games of the year. Just have to keep that ball rolling.

On 1/10/2022 at 3:12 PM, shadow_operative said:

I don't care who leaves the program under Beard, or Adams now in LBK.  If you don't respond to 'coaching" then why the fuck are you there to begin with?  Honestly, I'm a lot more concerned with Tyson and his rudderless loyalties than anything Beard did. We'll see how it plays out on the South Plains.

Oh, by the way,

Nimari Burnett, who bailed on Tech midseason in 20-21 and is much of the foundation of this bullshit, was still struggling to make shots for his new Alabama squad... He's now out for the season with an injury.

STATS
2020-21

GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
12 17.7 28.0 17.4 88.9 1.8 0.9 0.5 1.4 1.8 1.4 5.3
Edited by slorch

I would expect more of this full court pressure from Texas against Iowa State. 

Iowa State is is 268th in offensive turnover percentage and Texas is 4th in defensive turnover percentage. Our biggest strength is creating turnovers and Iowa State struggles with turnovers. 

It seems like the full court press gets this team engaged too. Beard should go to it early (it's worked against WV and OU). 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

Got to hold serve at home. Winning on the road in the Big 12 is not going to be easy. We already got 1, not expecting one this weekend. But we need to go 2-0 next week at home with KSU and OSU.

Really need to go 4-1 in our next 5, which would include a road win @TCU and at home against Tennessee in the Big 12/SEC challenge.

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Got to hold serve at home. Winning on the road in the Big 12 is not going to be easy. We already got 1, not expecting one this weekend. But we need to go 2-0 next week at home with KSU and OSU.

Really need to go 4-1 in our next 5, which would include a road win @TCU and at home against Tennessee in the Big 12/SEC challenge.

Yep, you gotta hold serve at home in this conference and try to pick off 2 or 3 road games.  We already have @ KSU, so we need @ TCU and maybe one more somewhere (Norman would be nice because fuck OU, or one of Waco or Lawrence or Lubbock).  Home games against Tech, Baylor and KU are no joke though. 

This is why the Big 12 is the best fucking basketball conference.  50% of teams ranked (both men and women).  Gonna miss it on the men's side when we leave. 

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

lotta people in this thread who owe AJ1 an apology. 

I don't think I owe him an apology, I think my criticisms have been reasonable, but I have to admit my reaction on that breakaway was "holy shit, I forgot he's that quick".  He was flying.

Hot Take incoming:

Hey man! I went to the basketball game last night. Glad we won, but for a rivalry game the crowd was terrible and quiet. No band, no Texas! Fight!, and the loudest it got was for the halftime musical chairs show. The OU sucks, because the do, chant at the end of the game was nice, but it was only led by the jumbotron throwing it up there with about a minute to go in the game. I was in section 34, row 30, but moved down to row 9 after the mass exodus when it became clear Texas was going to win the game. Fuck those people for leaving early and for the people that stayed, why the hell are you just standing without making any noise?!? Row 8 had 10 dudes, all standing, all with their hands in their pockets talking to each other quietly and giving about half a fuck about the game. I've seen it louder in a church parish hall waiting for the coffee to be refilled.

New arena or not, the crowd should be split up with a first come first served section around the entire court, save for the small amount of students that attend. Conversely, they should leave the douche bag "just doing this because it's an event and want to be seen" crowd in some sort of club lounge for dipshits. Every coach and every player should not have to beg the crowd during a rivalry game to fucking cheer on defense or make noise when the rival is shooting free throws, yet here we are. Shit, half the crowd barely threw up the Horns when we shot free throws.

I tried 4 times to get the crowd around me to make noise and get up. It worked each time but lasted for 2 possessions. I cannot wait for the FEC to go bye-bye, but the new arena is going to need some serious hand holding to get the party started. Motherfuckers looked like they were watching a Yanni concert. Oh, Mr. Minister O' Culture? Could you please instill some fucking culture up in this mother?! Because right now, it feels like a funeral could have been going on and nobody would have noticed. Also, don't give me the "they just need to win and they will come" bullshit, because this team has a badass coach and they are winning.

#IMissOldTexas #TEXAS,FIGHT!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1