Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

1 hour ago, Teryor said:

It sounds like we're hiring his dad (who was with Beard already) for those out of the loop

Are you saying Peavy's Dad was with Beard at another stop other than Tech?  I know he and Beard are good friends, but Peavy's dad has coached Duncanville high school for the past few years.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Justin Wells at IT said there's growing optimism that Greg Brown returns for another year. I find that hard to believe, but that would be quite the coup, if he buys in.

Hell the fuck yeah!! I thought it was a bit curious that we haven't heard anything yet from him.  And with his plummeting stock there was a real possibility that he'd fall out of the 1st round.  Can this week get any better? "Hey Kai what do you think about the possibility of becoming the 1st pick in the draft?" 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Haha 1

Beard contract details from 247

Spoiler

Chris Beard has agreed to a seven-year, $35 million contract as the new basketball coach of the Texas Longhorns, a source close to the situation told Horns247.

The contract calls for Beard to earn a base salary of $5 million in each year of the deal, plus incentives, and is "about 70 percent guaranteed," the source said.

Beard had a base salary this season at Texas Tech of $4.3 million, but he earned $5.1 million for the 2020-21 school year, because he had a one-time, $750,000 retention bonus paid to him in September, plus other incentives reached.

According to Beard’s last contract at Tech, obtained by Horns247, Beard was set to earn base salaries of $4.4 million in 2021-22; $4.5 million in 2022-23; $4.6 million in 2023-24; and $4.7 million in 2024-25.

Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt reportedly offered Beard a "lifetime contract" near the end of this past season. On Friday, Kansas announced a "lifetime contract" extension for Bill Self that starts with a new five-year, rolling agreement that automatically adds one year at the conclusion of each season for the remainder of Self's career.

There was some speculation Texas might have to pay Beard more than first-year football coach Steve Sarkisian to lure Beard to Austin. But that didn't end up being the case. In January, Sarkisian agreed to a six-year, $34.2 million contract that starts at a base salary of $5.2 million and escalates by $200,000 in each year of the deal.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

Chris Beard has agreed to a seven-year, $35 million contract as the new basketball coach of the Texas Longhorns, a source close to the situation told Horns247.

The contract calls for Beard to earn a base salary of $5 million in each year of the deal, plus incentives, and is "about 70 percent guaranteed," the source said.

Beard had a base salary this season at Texas Tech of $4.3 million, but he earned $5.1 million for the 2020-21 school year, because he had a one-time, $750,000 retention bonus paid to him in September, plus other incentives reached.

According to Beard’s last contract at Tech, obtained by Horns247, Beard was set to earn base salaries of $4.4 million in 2021-22; $4.5 million in 2022-23; $4.6 million in 2023-24; and $4.7 million in 2024-25.

Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt reportedly offered Beard a "lifetime contract" near the end of this past season. On Friday, Kansas announced a "lifetime contract" extension for Bill Self that starts with a new five-year, rolling agreement that automatically adds one year at the conclusion of each season for the remainder of Self's career.

There was some speculation Texas might have to pay Beard more than first-year football coach Steve Sarkisian to lure Beard to Austin. But that didn't end up being the case. In January, Sarkisian agreed to a six-year, $34.2 million contract that starts at a base salary of $5.2 million and escalates by $200,000 in each year of the deal.

Well this pretty much cements it that he didn’t just bail to Texas because we money whipped him... and pretty much confirms that he never gave TT a chance to counter or even entered a negotiation.

Texas called and it was over. 

So go get your fucking shine box Tech fans..

Edited by Laxtonto
Fuck you phone for autocorrecting when I cuss.... it is never duck you peice of shit
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

Damn, we’re giving him Nurse money.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Machinator said:

Justin Wells at IT said there's growing optimism that Greg Brown returns for another year. I find that hard to believe, but that would be quite the coup, if he buys in.

Looking at some mock drafts he's a late first/early 2nd rounder now. 

Jonathan Wasserman has him at #30. 

He would probably see a big jump in year 2 like Kai Jones did. 

i think Beard has a fairly easy sell as to why it benefits GB III to return, and that it will ultimately come down to GB III accepting this change of plans. if he stays, he's going to get to rewrite his college story and his draft stock is going to rise. if we end up returning Ramey, Brown, and Hamm, plus a couple of TTU transfers, then damn...just the fact that it's even a remote possibility has me more optimistic than i've been in a long time. 

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i think Beard has a fairly easy sell as to why it benefits GB III to return, and that it will ultimately come down to GB III accepting this change of plans. if he stays, he's going to get to rewrite his college story and his draft stock is going to rise. if we end up returning Ramey, Brown, and Hamm, plus a couple of TTU transfers, then damn...just the fact that it's even a remote possibility has me more optimistic than i've been in a long time. 

It would be nice to keep a couple of those Shaka commits too. 

Ellis and Joplin can really play. 

15 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It would be nice to keep a couple of those Shaka commits too. 

Ellis and Joplin can really play. 

i've been assuming that they will stay along under Beard, especially being that we haven't heard anything to the contrary at this point. i think those two both know that they are still in a great situation at Texas, and it's a bit late in the game to open your recruitment back up when Texas was the biggest program offering you in the first place. hopefully they both stay. 

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i've been assuming that they will stay along under Beard, especially being that we haven't heard anything to the contrary at this point. i think those two both know that they are still in a great situation at Texas, and it's a bit late in the game to open your recruitment back up when Texas was the biggest program offering you in the first place. hopefully they both stay. 

Maybe but I'm going to guess Shaka probably goes after both at Marquette. 

Hopefully, they committed to Texas vs Shaka. 

Bates was the obvious one because of his comments about committing to Shaka/Black head coach so that wasn't really a surprise. 

Seeing a lot of Chris Beard related tweets being retweeted by Greg Brown makes me think he is returning. We will be a legitimate contender for the Big 12 title next year if we get Peavy from TT and get Greg Brown, Royce Hamm, AJ and Donovan Williams to return. I think AJ will be a force next year. 

2 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Seeing a lot of Chris Beard related tweets being retweeted by Greg Brown makes me think he is returning. We will be a legitimate contender for the Big 12 title next year if we get Peavy from TT and get Greg Brown, Royce Hamm, AJ and Donovan Williams to return. I think AJ will be a force next year. 

Hamm is headed to UNLV.  It was announced today. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Hamm is at UNLV, and i can't see AJ returning. 

13 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Hamm is at UNLV, and i can't see AJ returning. 

That's a shame! I was looking forward to seeing AJ be a beast once he had regained his full strength. Regardless, we should have a very talented team that can compete for a top 2 position in the conference with good coaching. 

Edited by ShowMeALoss