Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

1 hour ago, ShowMeALoss said:

That's a shame! I was looking forward to seeing AJ be a beast once he had regained his full strength. Regardless, we should have a very talented team that can compete for a top 2 position in the conference with good coaching. 

What? It’ll obviously change but as it stands today next years team will be competing to stay out of the bottom 2. Our roster gives dumpster fires a bad name. Right now we have Cunningham, Ramey and Hepa. That’s it. if we get the 2 Tech guys plus Greg Brown returns and we get a few other good transfers things look a lot better.

45 minutes ago, justhookit said:

What? It’ll obviously change but as it stands today next years team will be competing to stay out of the bottom 2. Our roster gives dumpster fires a bad name. Right now we have Cunningham, Ramey and Hepa. That’s it. if we get the 2 Tech guys plus Greg Brown returns and we get a few other good transfers things look a lot better.

I didn't say we would be top two as is. My prediction was based on GB returning and getting Peavy and others from the portal. As is, we are a dumpster 🔥 team, as you said. We definitely need a good to great PG bit I am not sure where we are going to get one from.

9 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Awesome. That would make the Bates loss easier. 

Tamar Bates’ video on his 247 page looks like he is two to three years from being strong enough to play college basketball, especially Chris Beard style college basketball. 

https://247sports.com/player/tamar-bates-46086331/

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

Bates was going to start for us this year and really looks like he'll be a good college player. 

In time he could be very good. Physically, he needs to redshirt. Then play sparingly his redshirt freshman year. 

He is a classic example of the kids Texas gets and then throws into the game when they are nowhere near being physically ready to play against Kansas, Baylor, Tech, OSU, Oklahoma or A&M/Houston. 

He would absolutely redshirt at Baylor. That team is made up of men. Bates is still a kid if that video is at all recent. 

Edited by Napoleon

Sorry if already discussed, but unless Tech signs off on an undergrad transfer, current B12 conference rules require in conference transfers to sit out a year.  Even if the NCAA approved immediate transfer eligibility for first time undergrad transfers, the B12 rule will supersede the NCAA rules...

Edited by LTtxfan

24 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Sorry if already discussed, but unless Tech signs off on an undergrad transfer, current B12 conference rules require in conference transfers to sit out a year.  Even if the NCAA approved immediate transfer eligibility for first time undergrad transfers, the B12 rule will supersede the NCAA rules...

It's time to add Tennessee to the Big 12.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Tamar Bates’ video on his 247 page looks like he is two to three years from being strong enough to play college basketball, especially Chris Beard style college basketball. 

https://247sports.com/player/tamar-bates-46086331/

I noticed in his video he's a little skinny, and I agree he would probably need a rs. Matt Coleman definitely needed one, and it didn't even click for him until his junior season. 

Sorry if I'm daft about this, but will Coleman get drafted, or will he be able to come back/will he come back?

1 hour ago, Teryor said:

Basketball players don't redshirt unless there are extreme conditions 

Top 50 recruits NEVER redshirt 

What you guys are saying is absolute fantasy, and he'd be fine physically

It’s rare, but...

Baylor redshirts and they win. 

Coleman would have been projected higher in the draft before arriving on campus than he would be now, after 4 years. 

If he leaves, and I expect him to, it will take him a few years (at least) to make an NBA bench. He’ll have to play in the G-League or overseas while his body develops. 

I’m not sure what a year under Beard would do for his game & body, but it would only help. 

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

In time he could be very good. Physically, he needs to redshirt. Then play sparingly his redshirt freshman year. 

He is a classic example of the kids Texas gets and then throws into the game when they are nowhere near being physically ready to play against Kansas, Baylor, Tech, OSU, Oklahoma or A&M/Houston. 

He would absolutely redshirt at Baylor. That team is made up of men. Bates is still a kid if that video is at all recent. 

You would draft oden over Durant wouldn’t you?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I noticed in his video he's a little skinny, and I agree he would probably need a rs. Matt Coleman definitely needed one, and it didn't even click for him until his junior season. 

Sorry if I'm daft about this, but will Coleman get drafted, or will he be able to come back/will he come back?

Coleman will most likely get an EU contract.  Very small chance he returns.  The only guys I've heard that are locked in or most likely to return are Brock and Jase.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

Coleman will most likely get an EU contract.  Very small chance he returns.  The only guys I've heard that are locked in or most likely to return are Brock and Jase.

I've heard some people like Sam Vecenie believe that he'll have a good shot at a 2 way contract this year which tracks with being in the Payton Pritchard/Malachi Flynn mold of senior undersized PG "good leader, tough, good shooter" mold 

Do people actually follow basketball recruits? This isn’t football where guys need to put on weight to play. No high ranked recruit will come to a d-1 school like Texas to redshirt. You guys think he’s playing against 5’7 100lbs white guys in these high level aau tournaments? Trae young still weight 115lbs and is in the nba. Some weird takes always float around I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If Kevin Durant weighed 240 instead of 220 at the combine, he might still be playing for Portland as the #1 pick instead of Oden. 

Some people just don't get it.  You can be skinny and still be an incredibly good basketball player.

Not only that but this isn’t the 80’s and 90’s when basketball was 100 times more physical than today. Basketball today is basically position less basketball where everyone is roaming the three point line and setting high pnr and pick and pops. And guys in the 80’s and 90’s were even skinnier than today. Kevin mchale had noodles for arms as did Robert parish and Ralph sampson.

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

If Kevin Durant weighed 240 instead of 220 at the combine, he might still be playing for Portland as the #1 pick instead of Oden. 

Some people just don't get it.  You can be skinny and still be an incredibly good basketball player.

watch steph curry and davidson ncaa tourney run.  steph looked like a middle schooler among grown men but he was torching 7 Gonzaga, 2 Georgetown and 1 shot away from taking out 1 Kansas.  If you are naturally gifted/skilled, weight won't matter as much

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Not only that but this isn’t the 80’s and 90’s when basketball was 100 times more physical than today. Basketball today is basically position less basketball where everyone is roaming the three point line and setting high pnr and pick and pops. And guys in the 80’s and 90’s were even skinnier than today. Kevin mchale had noodles for arms as did Robert parish and Ralph sampson.

NBA physicality was night and day from the 80s to the 90s.  Team scoring dropped from 109 in 1980 to 91 by 1999....

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

He was also over the moon about the Shaka hire and then spent five years blaming his failures on bad luck, so this article is extremely encouraging.

I mean, my God, there's being wrong, and then there's this:

...I got to watch Shaka in person at Larry Brown's coaching clinic several months ago...

...you're starting to get a picture of the man who is at the head of the program. He had one of the best lectures of the day and his command of a room full of coaches was impressive. He has a presence that many of the other speakers lacked, and he'll control the room wherever he goes. Larry Brown loves the guy; when he was done with his lecture, Larry & Shaka spent 30 minutes on the far side of the court talking tactics & drawing up plays together. Shaka is a basketball sponge, and this was a hell of a hire.

lol

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

NBA physicality was night and day from the 80s to the 90s.  Team scoring dropped from 109 in 1980 to 91 by 1999....

Ppg isn’t the greatest data point to say it’s more physical. Detroit pistons of the 80’s is pretty damn physical and being physical was more about going for a layup and getting blasted with a forearm to the back. If I remember correctly the points going down in the 90’s had a lot of different factors. The 90’s knicks is a good blast your ass defense though, the mutombo nuggets were too.

45 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

He was also over the moon about the Shaka hire and then spent five years blaming his failures on bad luck, so this article is extremely encouraging.

I mean, my God, there's being wrong, and then there's this:

lol

"he'll control the room wherever he goes." lololol. every interview i saw with him was the exact opposite. he gets asked a question, and then before answering he tabs his water bottle, then slowly takes a swig, then calmly and disingenuously answers the question by spouting a couple of platitudes while saying nothing of substance. he's one of the worst speakers i've ever seen as a HC. did anyone else ever get sick of watching him constantly take time to slowly drink his water as he replied to media questions? man i am not going to miss that. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Who is bitterwhiteguy? Besides a moron I mean.

he's a basketball writer for Barking Carnival who was making excuses for Shaka all the way up until he was pushed out the door. he even said after year four or five of Shaka's time here that he "didn't think that any other coach out there would be doing any better than Shaka had done at Texas to that point", if that paints a picture for you. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

(Gerry Hamilton) Texas hoops team/recruiting nuggets (Monday 3:29pm)

Spoiler

Roster: The latest
The Texas staff is continuing to work on getting as many of the current players on the roster back for another season. That includes Matt Coleman and Jericho Sims. Both are considered long shots, but Texas is putting in effort.

IT is not ready to make any definitive statements on what the roster will look like next season. Way too many moving parts right now.

Transfer/portal: Targets
Goes without saying that F Micah Peavy is a target of Texas. The former state champion from Duncanville High was recruited by Beard to Texas Tech.

South Dakota G/W Stanley Umude (6-6, 210) is a transfer that Texas will tussle with Kansas, Arkansas, Arizona and Texas A&M for the talented scorer. Umude, who played in high school at San Antonio Warren, averaged 21.6 points, 7.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists this season. He converted 47.1% from the field, 35.5% from three (39-110) and 79.9% from the free throw line.

IT has already mentioned three other top transfer/portal target possibilities in Georgia PF Toumani Camara(6-8, 220 from Belgium), Utah F Timmy Allen (6-6, 210 from Arizona) and Florida SG Noah Locke (6-3, 200 from Baltimore).

There is another player or two that is expected to jump into the portal that would have the full attention of the staff.

High school recruiting 2021 class:
Should Jaylon Tyson request his release from his LOI, it goes without saying Texas would covet one of the top shooters in the country in the 2021 class. The 6-foot-6 guard made over 200 three-pointer's his last two season of high school basketball at a 44% clip.

Texas is expected to take a look at PG Jaylen Blakes of Blair Academy (Royal Ivey's high school). Texas was in the top three for Blakes during the season, along with Illinois and DePaul. He has been wide open in the last few weeks with recent offers from Pittsburgh, VCU and Harvard.

• Hook 'Em 2