Ski Season 18/19

texasdago

Yup... some places like A-Basin and Grand Montets still open but the list of open resorts is getting teeny.

Starting to think about 2018 ski season already?  I may not have an ACL anymore but my PT says that based on how I am doing 6 weeks post-injury, I will most likely be able to go skiing without surgery.  All I know is I am already looking forward to next season...

15228e46ef464ef7a41203d7eb2468f0--downhi 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are likely looking at first going over New Year's time frame.  We usually could avoid it but not this next season.  Any decent sized Colorado resorts that won't be completely covered up with people during that time?

18 hours ago, Newdoc said:

We are likely looking at first going over New Year's time frame.  We usually could avoid it but not this next season.  Any decent sized Colorado resorts that won't be completely covered up with people during that time?

Nope.   The week between Christmas and New Years Day is the busiest time of the year. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/9/2018 at 5:08 PM, Newdoc said:

Telluride, Purgatory, Crested Butte. Stay away from the big resorts along I-70. 

I've done Crested Butte on Christmas and Telluride on New Years and I didn't feel the crowd was a problem in either case. They are more isolated so less crowded in general. 

From Texas, you can fly directly into Gunnison, which is then a 30 minute drive/shuttle to Crested Butte. Or you can fly directly into Montrose, which is a little over an hour drive/shuttle to Telluride.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 10:21 AM, wild_turkey said:

Telluride, Purgatory, Crested Butte. Stay away from the big resorts along I-70. 

I've done Crested Butte on Christmas and Telluride on New Years and I didn't feel the crowd was a problem in either case. They are more isolated so less crowded in general. 

From Texas, you can fly directly into Gunnison, which is then a 30 minute drive/shuttle to Crested Butte. Or you can fly directly into Montrose, which is a little over an hour drive/shuttle to Telluride.

i'd add aspen to that list. 4 mountains with something for everyone and multiple airport options that keep you away from the I-70 madness. 

On 7/30/2018 at 1:07 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i'd add aspen to that list. 4 mountains with something for everyone and multiple airport options that keep you away from the I-70 madness. 

Never been to Snowmass but the vertical and the trail map look nice.  Big fan of quality verticals.

Considering an xmas vacation ski trip. Definitely want less crowded and less lines. Advice above about Crested Butte, Telluride, Aspen, etc is great.

The trip has to during xmas vacation due to kids. I've always heard that between Christmas and NYE is the busiest time. 

Are the days after NYE - like 1/2 to 1/6 - noticeably less crowded?

3 hours ago, zman13 said:

Considering an xmas vacation ski trip. Definitely want less crowded and less lines. Advice above about Crested Butte, Telluride, Aspen, etc is great.

The trip has to during xmas vacation due to kids. I've always heard that between Christmas and NYE is the busiest time. 

DP

Edited by Bert Orange

3 hours ago, zman13 said:

Yep. Night and day.

But to be clear, it’s half capacity once school starts. Weekends still going to be more crowded. 

Wolfcreek is a better option than Purgatory.  It will always have more snow and generally less crowds. It can be tough to get to for a someone not used to snow if the weather is sketchy.

That being said, lets just hope we get some fucking snow this year.

Currently I work a 28 day rotation, I work 28 days at a time and 28 off. I also get free travel to wherever i want on days off. I have February off and I’m thinking of doing a full on two weeks in the alps. I wanna hit Chamonix for sure and do a guided ski day down Mont Blanc off piste.

My little sister is moving to Paris so I am planning to visit her in the beginning so I will likely start off from Paris into Chamonix but then I’d like to see a few other resorts, maybe in Switzerland or Austria? 

Any other must-do experiences while I’m in the alps? 

I’m an expert snowboarder and I love off piste, powder, and tree runs. 

Edited by Johnny Chimpo

So, Chamonix kicks ass.  I loved it... you definitely want a car while there but if you have access to one and stay in Cham, you are within one hour of:

Grand Montets (kicks all kinds of ass.   If you go off piste on the glacier, get a guide.  Top to bottom is 6600 foot vertical.  I can give you more details)

Vallorcine (lots of nice above tree line off piste as well as itineraries that can take you down into the trees and into Switzerland.  You have to take a local train back)

Les Houches (trees)

Saint Gervais Les Bains and Saint Nicolas de Veroce (where I blew out my ACL, holla!) and Megeve

Les Contamines

Courmayer (lots of good off piste itineraries)

Courmayeur up to Punta Helbronner and down the Toula glacier (definitely expert, definitely get a guide)

Of course Brevent and Flegere

You can probably head to Verbier in Switzerland

Also, Les Marecottes is famous for off piste... just over the border in Switzerland.  Take a looksie.

I can recommend an instructor/guide who is with the ESF in Argentiere.  Not sure if he goes with boarders but he may not care.  No shortage of great guides on Chamonix.

• Like 1

Guide took me up to Grand Montets where the wind was howling... it was not a comfortable experience at first.  The lift opened late because they had to clear some avalanches.  Confidence level was not high.  Especially when it looked like this as we went towards the start...

28slx5s.jpg

BUT... it was awesome.  Amazing skiing and a once in a lifetime experience.

Hanging out on Col de Rachasses on the Grand Montets.... snowy and flat conditions but gobs of untracked powder and my guide knew exactly where to go.

Next day was sunny and all the powder got tracked out.  We knew it would be a mess so we went to Courmayeur where the weather was amazing!

14ybz2e.jpg  

Edited by texasdago
adding more
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

I wanna hit Chamonix for sure and do a guided ski day down Mont Blanc off piste.  I’m an expert snowboarder and I love off piste, powder, and tree runs. 

You're skiing down Mont Blanc?  It takes like three days.  Are you a hopeful ski mountaineer?  You have a split board right?  You should get a good one and all the necessary goodies you'll need for an up and down the mountain vacation.

Edited by PRONG HORN
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Ahhh perfect thanks Dago. I knew you have been going to the alps for a while so glad you chimed in. I didn’t realize I would need a car for Chamonix, good to know though. I think doing grand montets is definitely something I’m going to look into. 

In theory you don't need a car as buying a Mont Blanc Unlimited pass gets you access to the bus and train network for free.  That said, I like the flexibility to go where I want so for me having a car is important.  

As for skiing down Mont Blanc, the Vallee Blanche is a one-day affair... there are multiple routes down and you can also take the route down from the Italian side.  Toula Glacier is supposed to be much more challenging but the Vallee Blanche, depending on the route taken, can be a "confident intermediate" route or more challenging, depending on where you want your guide to take you.   Its about a 9000 ft vertical run and takes all day.  

Here you go Chimpo...

http://www.vallee-blanche.org/vallee_blanche_guide_chamonix_off_piste_skiing_valley_blanche

BTW, I love all the glaciers in the valley.  If you look here (hard to see), you can see in the top left hand corner the Glacier du Tour, looking down on the beginner Vormaine ski section.  Pictures do it no justice to see these jagged blue blocks up above.  Its amazing.  

ne6qdi.jpg 

While we're at it and you've got  me thinking about the area, you can drive through the Mont Blanc tunnel, pass Courmayeur and go up to La Thuile which has nice skiing on both the Italian and French side.  You can also go heli-skiing:

http://www.heliskilathuile.com/index_e.asp

La Thuile in March.  Notice the masses of people

awbbqx.jpg 

i59idk.jpg 

Take your pick.  Run 7 to La Rosiere in France or 9 down to Les Suches on the Italian side.

2195qja.jpg 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, texasdago said:

In theory you don't need a car as buying a Mont Blanc Unlimited pass gets you access to the bus and train network for free.  That said, I like the flexibility to go where I want so for me having a car is important.  

As for skiing down Mont Blanc, the Vallee Blanche is a one-day affair... there are multiple routes down and you can also take the route down from the Italian side.  Toula Glacier is supposed to be much more challenging but the Vallee Blanche, depending on the route taken, can be a "confident intermediate" route or more challenging, depending on where you want your guide to take you.   Its about a 9000 ft vertical run and takes all day.  

Damn very interesting. Next time I’m at work for 28 days sounds like I have some serious planning to do. I’m super stoked on knocking out some European snowboarding bucket list destinations. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good Lord, noooooo

This puts a bit of a damper on the next trip.  Glad we opted not to stay in Argentiere but down in Chamonix...

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/auvergne-rhone-alpes/haute-savoie/chamonix/haute-savoie-incendie-cours-gare-du-telepherique-grands-montets-chamonix-1539050.html 

Dm0fIDDW0AAB__g.jpg

Edited by texasdago

Thinking about taking a trip for the first time in 5 years.  I would like to go somewhere new.  I have been damn near everywhere in Colorado and New Mexico, but nowhere else.   I'm a pretty good skier, but my knees don't care care for the bumps in my advancing age.  I do love me some steeps though.  My wife has never skied but would like to learn, and if she hates it she is fine just spending some time in the mountains and contributing her lift ticket money to the local economy.  I would like a place that has a good ski school, because I want her to like it as I enjoy skiing and would like make this an annual trip. We would be renting a condo and would like to have good dining options.  On this particular trip I don't really care about nightlife.  Help me choose between Whistler, Tahoe, and Jackson Hole based on the above criteria.  Also please feel free to suggest somewhere else, those are just 3 places I've always wanted to go.

I'm not a big fan of Heavenly. Just didn't care for the layout, having to ride the gondola up just to get to the base of the mountain, and I don't think of South Lake Tahoe as a ski destination. 

Jackson Hole is beautiful when I've been in the summer but I've never skied there, mainly because the resort is about 20 minutes from Jackson. I prefer to have the mountain and town in close proximity. 

Was also going to suggest Park City. Easy to fly into SLC, short trip up to the mountain, big mountain with any ski terrain you want, cool town with lots of dining, shops, etc. It seems like it would fit all of your criteria.

Edited by wild_turkey
  • Like 1

PCMR is hella crowded.  but luckily there are many great resorts within 30 - 60 mins drive.

my favorite resort in the area is snowbasin.  more of a locals mountain but it's a big resort.  great snow, great runs and 1/4 of the crowd of PCMR.  alta, deer valley are great ski only resorts in the area.

The trick to Heavenly is to go up on the Nevada side. Much easier access and way less crowded. It’s where Sonny Bono died so there’s that. You can cross over to the Cal side if that’s your thing. IMO it’s easier to get to the Cal side by starting on the Nevada side and crossing over than dealing with the crowds and gondola. Definitely more fun to do it that way.

Gonna pull the trigger on Whistler in the next few days once we get the dates nailed down.  4-5 days there with a couple in Vancouver on either the front or back end.  There are a couple of direct options out of dfw, so it’s just 2 extra hours on the plane.  If there weren’t direct flights available I would’ve gone with Park City.  

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Gonna pull the trigger on Whistler in the next few days once we get the dates nailed down.  4-5 days there with a couple in Vancouver on either the front or back end.  There are a couple of direct options out of dfw, so it’s just 2 extra hours on the plane.  If there weren’t direct flights available I would’ve gone with Park City.  

The struggle is real...

Now it's do you bring your own skis/board or rent ??!!

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The struggle is real...

Now it's do you bring your own skis/board or rent ??!!

Well, that's easy.  My stuff is really old and the wife has nothing.  For what the airline will charge for me bringing my old shit, I'm sure I can rent something better.  If this becomes a regular thing, I'll probably grab some new skis and boots for myself prior to the next trip.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

Well, that's easy.  My stuff is really old and the wife has nothing.  For what the airline will charge for me bringing my old shit, I'm sure I can rent something better.  If this becomes a regular thing, I'll probably grab some new skis and boots for myself prior to the next trip.

I've gotten my packing down to the ski bag and a carry on for boots, helmet and a few other things.  I've got skis I love so for the next few years I'll take those.

The nice thing about renting is you can try out different skis every day till you hit on the ones that do it for you.

On 9/11/2018 at 9:43 AM, wild_turkey said:

I booked Telluride for Jan 23-27. Hoping the snow situation is much better this year, obviously, for everyone's sake.

Hey!  Just paid for my season pass today.  Where we staying?

On 9/11/2018 at 5:55 PM, conVINCEd said:

So everyone loves Park City, does anyone have any thoughts on Whistler?

Make sure your DUI record is clean or else getting into Canada is tough (t least it used to be).  Don’t want to be going thru customs to find this out only to get bussed back to the US.  If so, pick the passenger side of the bus going back- it’s better scenery.

19 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Whistler is a given for just about everything.  Everybody loves Whistler

Yup

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I've gotten my packing down to the ski bag and a carry on for boots, helmet and a few other things.  

Pro tip

Yeah, I'll do the upgraded demo package for myself for that reason.  I'll go basic for the wife, but will probably upgrade her boots for the sake of wanting her to enjoy skiing.  It's bizarre that I haven't skied in 5 years, but sometimes life's circumstances conspire against you.  Met my wife 4 years ago, got married 2 years ago, and the travel budget has just been a little weird during this time frame (her family is scattered across the country, lots of weddings in expensive places, and a honeymoon that we spent too much money on). Feels like we're finally approaching normalcy. 

17 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

Make sure your DUI record is clean or else getting into Canada is tough (t least it used to be).  Don’t want to be going thru customs to find this out only to get bussed back to the US.  If so, pick the passenger side of the bus going back- it’s better scenery.

That fucking sucks.  All good on that front.