Ski Season 18/19

texasdago

Have been digging into this resort.  Looks interesting.  Car-free villages, almost unlimited off-piste skiing capabilities, nice snow sure location.  Vertical not great by European standards but apparently low on crowds and great list system.  

Also https://www.bergfex.com/aletsch-arena/ - "The Aletsch Arena cable cars took first place in the overall ranking of the International Skiarea Test 2016. Apart from becoming the overall winner and the Rising Star of the Year 2016, the Aletsch Arena cable cars were awarded the International Piste Quality Seal in Gold and the Piste Rescue and Safety Trophy." 

b7a8e7430b5a6567_b5527ed1f2c62224@2x.jpg 

Edited by texasdago

• 4 weeks later...

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2018/10/10/breaking-wolf-creek-will-open-this-saturday-to-powder-conditions-racetoopen/

The Durango Herald is reporting that, as snow slams Southwestern Colorado, Wolf Creek has pledged to open for this Saturday and Sunday. It seems the resort that likes to boast it hast the state’s deepest powder may push this year’s race across the finish line.

Edited by MoJames

23 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Doing our PC trip the last weekend of January, the last weekend of Sundance.  Not sure why we aren't doing the following weekend like we usually do.  Hope it's not too much of a zoo.

That's going to fucking blow, man.  The hill probably won't be bad but town will be a joke.

Swedish Brand - Wear Colour.  Bought a jacket last year and really enjoyed skiing in it:

https://wearcolour.com/men/jackets-men.html

Here's the one I picked up - good price at Backcountry.com - https://www.backcountry.com/wear-colour-falk-jacket-mens?skid=CWR003X-SWEBL-XL&ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6d2VhciBjb2xvdXI6MTo3OndlYXIgY29sb3Vy 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2018 at 12:11 AM, pops said:

Need a new hardshell jacket. My 10 year old mountain hardwear finally gave up the ghost. Any recs?  Arc'teryx? Mammut? Go back to MH?  Thanks assholes. 

Well if they won't replace or fix it I'd look at Arc'teryx. I bought one back in 90 or 91 and it's a still going strong today.

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Anyone familiar with secondary ski resorts in the Rockies? I've been to Targhee a lot but I've never been to Big Sky/Moonlight Basin. I want to go to Whitefish this spring. Any info. good or bad on Big Sky and Whitefish?

Got a bud who's skied everywhere in N. America  and from Chile to Fernie. He says Whitefish is a great ski location, kind of primitive, but good snow.

Not that cheap to get to though. We looked at tickets a couple years ago and they were steep.

Just now, Bevo said:

Anyone familiar with secondary ski resorts in the Rockies? I've been to Targhee a lot but I've never been to Big Sky/Moonlight Basin. I want to go to Whitefish this spring. Any info. good or bad on Big Sky and Whitefish?

I've been to Big Sky.  Quickie review:  the mountain is pretty decent.  Lone Mountain has a little tram that takes you to the peak, and from there you get really great challenging mostly steep terrain (The Gullies and all the short but really steep runs off of the Turkey Traverse area.  The dangerous, steeper skiing is actually down the hill a bit in the Stillwater Bowl.  Lots of rock sides, you gotta know what you're doing but the runs aren't long.  Most of the best powder/glade skiing is off of Lone Mountain's left shoulder (as you're looking up at it, on its right as you'r skiing it).  Those runs are longer but not really that steep, but (like most places) a hoot in the powder.  There is also some nice skiing off the South Face (again on that side of Lone Mountain) - we had a blast in the powder in places like Liberty Bowl, Dakota Bowl, Wyoming Bowl, and Chicken Head Bowl.  The rest of Big Sky is meh, nothing all that special, but nice.  The town actually to me is kind of a bit sleepy, and ritzy... as in meant for old peoplez.  I just didn't find the nightlife all that amazing.  I wouldn't go for the partying.  Its a "do it once at least" but not sure I'd go all the way back just for it.

TIp:  You're only about 45 mins. from maybe the Best Little Kept Secret In Them Thar Parts, that is.. Bridger Bowl!  I found it a nice little, very challenging area. Plus it has great bars, it's meant as a haunt for Montana State students, and so the atmosphere is very down to earth and fun, not stuffy and quiet like Big Sky.  I found the entire mountain eminently more skiable and enjoyable than Big Sky, even though it's smaller.  Make it a point to head to Bozeman if you're in Big Sky.  The extra trip is worth it.

As a young and stupid teenager, I wanted to go to college in Bozeman so I could go skiing Bridger Bowl.  Always heard it is amazing.  

Ok, so on the very tiny off chance anyone is planning on skiing Saas Fee this year, they're selling season passes through November 4th for 255 CHF per person.  That's $255.00 for a season pass... worthwhile if you're going to hit it for 5-7 days. 

https://www.saas-fee.ch/wintercard/en/

Mountain has glaciers (has been open since July and used as a summer training ground for various World Cup skiers, intl ski teams, etc), about a 6,000 foot vertical and supposedly has stunning views.  They're supposed to get at least a meter or two of snow this week... (that's a lot in inches) :D

56 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

TIp:  You're only about 45 mins. from maybe the Best Little Kept Secret In Them Thar Parts, that is.. Bridger Bowl!  I found it a nice little, very challenging area. Plus it has great bars, it's meant as a haunt for Montana State students, and so the atmosphere is very down to earth and fun, not stuffy and quiet like Big Sky.  I found the entire mountain eminently more skiable and enjoyable than Big Sky, even though it's smaller.  Make it a point to head to Bozeman if you're in Big Sky.  The extra trip is worth it.

Funny that you say that. I had heard of Bridger Bowl from people in Bozeman, but I figured that it was just closer and easier to get to for the locals. I didn't realize that it really did have good skiing.

The other place that I am curious about is near Spokane. Have any of you all skied Schweitzer Mountain? Basically, I am not serious/somewhat serious about getting a vacation home: We like to ski, mountain bike, hike, etc. Both Whitefish and Schweitzer have a lake nearby so it adds a little bit to the usage during the summer. Schweitzer seemed more expensive, probably equal in price to Big Sky so our tentative plan is to go out to Whitefish for skiing to get a feel for things there. However, if something better cropped up, we could easily change our minds and vacation there instead. My wife isn't into the glitz of places like Aspen and Jackson Hole and I don't want to spend a lot of money. And, I may inherit a house in Santa Fe and if that happens then I would want to sell the other vacation home anyway.

5 hours ago, Bevo said:

The other place that I am curious about is near Spokane. Have any of you all skied Schweitzer Mountain? Basically, I am not serious/somewhat serious about getting a vacation home: We like to ski, mountain bike, hike, etc. Both Whitefish and Schweitzer have a lake nearby so it adds a little bit to the usage during the summer. Schweitzer seemed more expensive, probably equal in price to Big Sky so our tentative plan is to go out to Whitefish for skiing to get a feel for things there. However, if something better cropped up, we could easily change our minds and vacation there instead. My wife isn't into the glitz of places like Aspen and Jackson Hole and I don't want to spend a lot of money. And, I may inherit a house in Santa Fe and if that happens then I would want to sell the other vacation home anyway.

All these places are close to Southern BC, which is really the most relevant ski related detail IMHO.  It sounds like your wife would love BC.  Those small USA areas up there can be a little stuffy just like Big Sky.  Other than Whistler you won't find that in BC

1 hour ago, PRONG HORN said:

All these places are close to Southern BC, which is really the most relevant ski related detail IMHO.  It sounds like your wife would love BC.  Those small USA areas up there can be a little stuffy just like Big Sky.  Other than Whistler you won't find that in BC

Which places would you recommend?

Personally other than Whistler/Blackcomb (which itself is an acquired taste, so fricking massive), I never really felt that the BC resorts were worth the time/effort to travel there.  I've not been to them all, but I've been to Big White, Silver Star, Sun Peaks, W/B of course, Fernie... and my favorite SE BC resort, Kicking Horse. I really like the layout of that mountain and the town's decent.  Otherwise they're all kinda quiet towns and relatively small.  JMHO.

20 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That and Revelstoke are supposed to be powder city according to a couple ski bids I know.  They're on my bucket list much more so than Whistler with it's coastal, water laden snow potential.

Ooh, that might be true at times, but the best and deepest powder skiing I've ever done in Canada was at W/B.  Yeah it's low and yeah it's coastal, but in good years their powder is among the deepest anywhere in North America.  I wouldn't avoid it because of snow quality.  It can get cold there, too, and the snow is awesome.  It's no coincidence that the best and most popular heliskiing in Canada and most of the continent is on the coastal slopes of BC.

I'd more avoid it now because it's a Tokyo-sized clusterfuck.  But on the mountain, it's still awesome - or can be.

Edited by phdhorn

Just now, phdhorn said:

Ooh, that might be true at times, but the best and deepest powder skiing I've ever done in Canada was at W/B.  Yeah it's low and yeah it's coastal, but in good years their powder is among the deepest anywhere in North America.  I wouldn't avoid it because of snow quality.  It can get cold there, too, and the snow is awesome.

I'd more avoid it now because it's a Tokyo-sized clusterfuck.  But on the mountain, it's still awesome - or can be.

Thanks,  I've heard that same thing from other folks.  My best powder has been in Utah which is definitely easier to access for me on the east coast.  I can leave DC and be on the slopes by 1:00 for the free skiing with your airline ticket.

I think if I get the chance to do Fernie or Revelstoke I'm going to take 2 weeks, and hit Whistler as well.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Thanks,  I've heard that same thing from other folks.  My best powder has been in Utah which is definitely easier to access for me on the east coast.  I can leave DC and be on the slopes by 1:00 for the free skiing with your airline ticket.

I think if I get the chance to do Fernie or Revelstoke I'm going to take 2 weeks, and hit Whistler as well.

Whistler is like the Sierras to me (still my favorite North American destinations).  Yeah you get crud, but usually in better winters you get awesome powder.  I for one don't really see much difference in a nice, cold Sierra day's powder vs. the inland ranges.  But yeah, it sure as shit matters when the weather changes or you get warm fronts.  I almost fucking killed myself while screaming down a "powdery" slope at some Tahoe resort (forget which one) then went wide into some Sierra crud, and it was as if some fucking clamp grabbed both my skis and just stopped them cold.  My god it was fucking awful but I emerged intact.

This makes me want to go skiing, and then I realize once I get there it will be terrible and I don't want to go.  I miss it terribly, but when I go I can't really do all the fun, stupid shit I used to do when I was much younger and much less surgically repaired.  I mostly have to keep to the groomers these days, and that bores the shit out of me while still making my knees and back hurt.  May have to suck it up and do it anyway.  I didn't go last season.  

1 minute ago, pepper brooks said:

This makes me want to go skiing, and then I realize once I get there it will be terrible and I don't want to go.  I miss it terribly, but when I go I can't really do all the fun, stupid shit I used to do when I was much younger and much less surgically repaired.  I mostly have to keep to the groomers these days, and that bores the shit out of me while still making my knees and back hurt.  May have to suck it up and do it anyway.  I didn't go last season.  

Groomers are fine if they are steep.  

Yeah I used to do couloirs and jumps and shit but it's too dangerous more or less now.  But I still do steeps and of course still love powder.  Losing 50 lbs. over the last few years has helped again with the bumps, but they can get tiring.  The worst skiing by far to me is  "skied-off" moguls on steep runs - you miss a turn and you could snap your skis - fucking legs - like a twig.

Edited by phdhorn

On 10/29/2018 at 2:48 PM, Bevo said:

Funny that you say that. I had heard of Bridger Bowl from people in Bozeman, but I figured that it was just closer and easier to get to for the locals. I didn't realize that it really did have good skiing.

Schweitzer is a pretty decent mountain. They have put a ton of money into it in the past 20 years or so and trying to make it feel more like sun valley with a village and all that shit. 

If you were looking to do a vacation home I'd say go a bit further south to Hayden Lake or Coeur d'alene. You get basically the same scenery, two awesome lakes, all the same outdoorsy stuff and you are only an hour from Schweitzer without being stuck in Sandpoint. Plus you are only about 45 minutes to GEG. 

• Like 1

Just now, 4th and 5 said:

I was mentioning that for the old fucks in the post above, but Taos is world class for bumps

When they get snow of course.  That's the only knock I've ever heard about Taos.  Some seasons they don't get the snow fall to really make that place do what it can when it does.