Ski Season 18/19

texasdago

My 5 year old has become quite the skier. She’s been crushing greens and easy blues this season and keeps asking to go faster. When mom isn’t with us I let her get after it but we have an agreement that she pulls it back when mom is with us. There’s short steep blues where she opens it up and just bombs it...it terrifies me. Today she asked if we could do some steeper longer blues...mom’s with us and she greenlights it. I tell her she has to stay behind me and follow my turns...

long story short, she ends up bombing it and I full on panic. I just stop and watch her fly down the hill waiting for the crash...it doesn’t happen in my view, I snap out of it and start booking it. We’re skiing down and can’t find her. It’s a trail lots of folks skin up the side so I keep watching them waiting to see if they’re panicking because a kid went into the trees...nothing...we make it down the hill and she’s not there. We’re losing it, mom calls ski patrol I head back up the lift to do another lap.

as I’m going  up I see her skiing behind a guy. Her and mom meet me at the top of the hill. I ask what happened, the guy told Mom she yard saled into the trees at full speed (she was at 30+ MPH when I last saw her), losing her poles in the process.

mom asked her as they were going up the lift if she thought it was a good idea to go that fast and her answer was “mom that’s why we wear helmets.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

My 5 year old has become quite the skier. She’s been crushing greens and easy blues this season and keeps asking to go faster. When mom isn’t with us I let her get after it but we have an agreement that she pulls it back when mom is with us. There’s short steep blues where she opens it up and just bombs it...it terrifies me. Today she asked if we could do some steeper longer blues...mom’s with us and she greenlights it. I tell her she has to stay behind me and follow my turns...

long story short, she ends up bombing it and I full on panic. I just stop and watch her fly down the hill waiting for the crash...it doesn’t happen in my view, I snap out of it and start booking it. We’re skiing down and can’t find her. It’s a trail lots of folks skin up the side so I keep watching them waiting to see if they’re panicking because a kid went into the trees...nothing...we make it down the hill and she’s not there. We’re losing it, mom calls ski patrol I head back up the lift to do another lap.

as I’m going  up I see her skiing behind a guy. Her and mom meet me at the top of the hill. I ask what happened, the guy told Mom she yard saled into the trees at full speed (she was at 30+ MPH when I last saw her), losing her poles in the process.

mom asked her as they were going up the lift if she thought it was a good idea to go that fast and her answer was “mom that’s why we wear helmets.”

Awesome story. My daughter was the same way (at about 7 instead of 5) but if they can be no fear at that age, you will have a blast skiing with her the rest of your life. 

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Austria is getting the same "too much snow" treatment that Chamonix/Zermatt/Saas Fee got last year.  Too much of a good thing and now villages are starting to get evacuated.  Crazy.  There were some days during our trip last year when the snow wouldn't quit... you'd get gobs in the valley and then whiteout conditions higher up.  This was the road to Le Tour coming from Argentiere.  The next pic is the top station on Les Grands Montets - howling winds and tough conditions on top.  Would have been properly screwed without a guide who could take me to a spot sheltered by cliffs and acres upon acres of untracked powder.

2ex31nc.jpg 

mj2ule.jpg 

On 12/16/2018 at 5:59 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

My son went snowboarding for the first time last year and got a taste for speed and jumps by day 3.   Anyway, it's a powder day and he takes a weird twisting fall into knee deep powder.  He's shaken up but seems ok, we go up to the top for lunch, but he eats with his goggles on, it's a bluebird day and we are on the patio, ok, strange kid...  He wants to take a picture of him at the top of the mountain (Florida boy and it's nice out)   I can't convince him to take of the goggles, he says the sun is in his eyes... 

IMG_0085_zpskdmhew7d.jpg

(Notice the shadows?)

after bitching and moaning for a few minutes I give up trying to get a shot of his face and we head down the mountain.   Things are not going well and he is randomly crashing... it's the last day of our trip and I figure he is getting tired and careless, so I reign him in and we make our way down on greens and easy blues at a slow pace...  but homeboy is fine for a few minutes then not so much.  At the bottom I tell him lets call it a day and he starts crying...wtf?   I ask what's wrong and he says he doesn't know.  Then the light comes on...  he's concussed, with a helmet, on a powderday, and no vicious knocks to the melon.  Get home, see a neurologist...  yup concussed AF.   Fun fact twisting of the head, not impact, is MUCH more likely to cause a concussion.

tl/dr Glad your kid's alright...  during that 4 day trip several people died in Tahoe.     

Edited by Loco

meh, he's fine now.  He missed the second half of water polo season...  It took weeks for him to be cleared.  That morning and some the day before he was wanting to get into the trees and I flat out told him no and had to chase him out a few times.   Trees, tree wells, powder, and overconfidence are a bad mix.  I used to love riding in the trees until I was upside down in a tree well that was collapsing... the most scared I have ever been by a long shot.

I think that's why the story up above really got to me.  I can't imagine a child, maybe my child, buried and panicking...  I've heard too many stories from Ski Patrol friends....

Yeah, you know... I will chase after (relatively reasonable) steeps, moguls, go into bowls, etc but I've never been interested in the trees.  I think that's why Europe appeals to me so much... wiiiide open spaces.  I love it.  Trees, glades?  Nope.  Never been for me.  Really curious to see how this next trip will go without my ACL but I feel ready to go.  Chomping at the bit.

This year in Austria - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/alps-avalanche-latest-dead-killed-austria-germany-salzburg-bavaria-snow-weather-a8716626.html

Reminds me of last year in France - https://www.thelocal.fr/20180122/french-alps-100-chamonix-chalets-evacuated-due-to-extreme-snow  (the chalets mentioned in the article were further down the road in that first picture I posted above.  My picture was in March.  January was far worse)

Edited by texasdago

On 1/8/2019 at 10:07 AM, Loco said:

meh, he's fine now.  He missed the second half of water polo season...  It took weeks for him to be cleared.  That morning and some the day before he was wanting to get into the trees and I flat out told him no and had to chase him out a few times.   Trees, tree wells, powder, and overconfidence are a bad mix.  I used to love riding in the trees until I was upside down in a tree well that was collapsing... the most scared I have ever been by a long shot.

I think that's why the story up above really got to me.  I can't imagine a child, maybe my child, buried and panicking...  I've heard too many stories from Ski Patrol friends....

Bummer.  My son broke his wrist last year on our last afternoon at Mammoth.  First day of volleyball was the following week.  Missed the whole season.  

On 1/8/2019 at 3:17 PM, texasdago said:

Yeah, you know... I will chase after (relatively reasonable) steeps, moguls, go into bowls, etc but I've never been interested in the trees.  I think that's why Europe appeals to me so much... wiiiide open spaces.  I love it.  Trees, glades?  Nope.  Never been for me.  Really curious to see how this next trip will go without my ACL but I feel ready to go.  Chomping at the bit.

Love the trees. The powder stashes you find, and the solitude can't be matched in a bowl.  That and you can pull up next to a tree and blow a bowl or take a leak.

My son went snowboarding for the first time last year and got a taste for speed and jumps by day 3.   Anyway, it's a powder day and he takes a weird twisting fall into knee deep powder.  He's shaken up but seems ok, we go up to the top for lunch, but he eats with his goggles on, it's a bluebird day and we are on the patio, ok, strange kid...  He wants to take a picture of him at the top of the mountain (Florida boy and it's nice out)   I can't convince him to take of the goggles, he says the sun is in his eyes... 
IMG_0085_zpskdmhew7d.jpg
(Notice the shadows?)
after bitching and moaning for a few minutes I give up trying to get a shot of his face and we head down the mountain.   Things are not going well and he is randomly crashing... it's the last day of our trip and I figure he is getting tired and careless, so I reign him in and we make our way down on greens and easy blues at a slow pace...  but homeboy is fine for a few minutes then not so much.  At the bottom I tell him lets call it a day and he starts crying...wtf?   I ask what's wrong and he says he doesn't know.  Then the light comes on...  he's concussed, with a helmet, on a powderday, and no vicious knocks to the melon.  Get home, see a neurologist...  yup concussed AF.   Fun fact twisting of the head, not impact, is MUCH more likely to cause a concussion.
tl/dr Glad your kid's alright...  during that 4 day trip several people died in Tahoe.     

Sorry man. For Florida

14 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Love the trees. The powder stashes you find, and the solitude can't be matched in a bowl.  That and you can pull up next to a tree and blow a bowl or take a leak.

No doubt... nowhere to take a leak in a bowl.  That said, I feel a certain sense of solitude in a bowl.  This gives me a bigger snow boner than going into the trees... (aside from the avalanche danger)

28b9t9f.jpg

Edited by texasdago

25 minutes ago, texasdago said:

No doubt... nowhere to take a leak in a bowl.  That said, I feel a certain sense of solitude in a bowl.  This gives me a bigger snow boner than going into the trees... (aside from the avalanche danger)

28b9t9f.jpg

It just moved..........

2 more weeks and its Breck bound !

3 hours ago, texasdago said:

28b9t9f.jpg

That looks so fun on a snowboard.  Like a giant wave.

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

That looks so fun on a snowboard.  Like a giant wave.

Yeah?   My calves burn looking at traversing 2-3miles of head wall...  then screaming down to keep enough speed to exit the bowl...   Did the glacier at Whistler once, once! 

Edited by Loco
  • Like 1

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fneveitalia%2Fvideos%2F2283537538558585%2F&show_text=0&width=268" width="268" height="476" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe> 

Shoot nope... let's see how I can post this...

Enjoy... https://www.facebook.com/neveitalia/videos/2283537538558585/ 

Edited by texasdago

2 weeks to PC.  We are planning to rally to Snowbird on Saturday.  First time we have ventured from PC/Canyons ((except powder-catting, which was amazing).  What's the lowdown on Snowbird?
Bring your "A" game. Some of the steepest inbounds skiing in the U.S. The tram gives the most vertical. I prefer to ski Little Cloud area. They got a huge dump this week, with more on the way next few days.

9 minutes ago, ousuxndallas said:

Bring your "A" game. Some of the steepest inbounds skiing in the U.S. The tram gives the most vertical. I prefer to ski Little Cloud area. They got a huge dump this week, with more on the way next few days.

Yeah Snow bird has some dangerous steep shit.  You can get caught in places with no way out, but really some steep gnarly stuff.  I prefer Alta.

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

Going to Telluride later this week. Their snow looks great this year.

Booked flights to SLC in late February. Haven't decided where we are going to ski. We've done PC/Canyons before so we will probably do Alta or Deer Valley this time around.

When we do park city we look at the snow totals each  morning @ Alta snowbird canyons park city deer valley and follow the snow o

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

My kind is not welcome at Alta.

They ought to ban you fuckers from every run with moguls. Skied lots of fucked up bumps yesterday, courtesy of snowboarders that shave them all off and fuck up the lines.

I must concur. Boarders fuck up bump runs.

Going to Telluride later this week. Their snow looks great this year.
Booked flights to SLC in late February. Haven't decided where we are going to ski. We've done PC/Canyons before so we will probably do Alta or Deer Valley this time around.
Alta and Deer Valley couldn't be more opposite, experience wise. Both are great in their own way.

It's a stellar year for snow all around. Could be a banner year.