Boston Red Sox 2021 thread

dbecks

Good Lord, win a game... please?

Fun time nonetheless last night, even if the Sox lose & MMP refuses to keep the roof open on a balmy 78-degree night. (The glare inside that stadium with the roof closed is a gatdamn travesty.)

Fun fact:

Tonight Xander Bogaerts will play his 957th career game at shortstop for the Red Sox, passing Nomar Garciaparra for third-most all-time in franchise history. Only Everett Scott (1,093) and Rick Burleson (1,004) have more.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, dbecks said:

Good Lord, win a game... please?

Fun time nonetheless last night, even if the Sox lose & MMP refuses to keep the roof open on a balmy 78-degree night. (The glare inside that stadium with the roof closed is a gatdamn travesty.)

Fun fact:

Tonight Xander Bogaerts will play his 957th career game at shortstop for the Red Sox, passing Nomar Garciaparra for third-most all-time in franchise history. Only Everett Scott (1,093) and Rick Burleson (1,004) have more.

Hey look, we won!

Now on to the first series with the Yanks who are 3-7 over their last ten. However, the pessimist in me wants to say we'll drop the series because Boston just hasn't been playing well against good teams. These guys destroy bad pitchers and then can't hit against decent-to-good pitching. Granted, we'll miss Kluber (injury) and Cole (pitched today, and the Rays actually got him), so who knows.

Speaking of the Rays, they're really good.

• Like 1

Fuckinghellshitdickballs. What the fuck is with the goddamn scouting report disparity vs. the fucking Astros?

They have our number, that’s for sure. Let’s hope they don’t meet in the playoffs... if the Sox can get there.

51 minutes ago, dbecks said:

Fuckinghellshitdickballs. What the fuck is with the goddamn scouting report disparity vs. the fucking Astros?

They have our number, that’s for sure. Let’s hope they don’t meet in the playoffs... if the Sox can get there.

Right now, they'd meet in the wild card game. It would be in Boston, but the Astros would probably still win haha.

• 2 weeks later...

I mean… he was projected to be #1 on many recent lists, so I can’t complain too much.

But still, damn Gers taking Leiter kinda sucked. Best of luck to him, though. I think he’s gonna be an ace in a few years. Sox still need pitching in the farm system.

14 hours ago, dbecks said:

I mean… he was projected to be #1 on many recent lists, so I can’t complain too much.

But still, damn Gers taking Leiter kinda sucked. Best of luck to him, though. I think he’s gonna be an ace in a few years. Sox still need pitching in the farm system.

Yeah, this is all encompassing of how I feel. I don't understand the lack of top pitching talent among the draft picks in recent years. Maybe they just figure they can buy it. I don't know.

On 7/12/2021 at 4:43 PM, txhorns said:

I've got no problem with taking Mayer at #4 overall.  It's a great pick.  It pisses me off though that there's only 1 pitcher in the first 6 rounds and he was taken in the 4th.

It's certainly a great pick. I'm just confused about the acquirement plan of pitching - as you pointed out.

Also, time to continue our domination of the Yanks.

“PORTLAND, Maine -- What's 6 1/2 feet tall, works in the upper 90s and is about to make an impact on the AL East in the dog days of summer?

Chris Sale faced 12 over 3 2/3 no-hit innings, striking out six and walking one in a scoreless rehab start for the Double-A Portland Sea Dogs on Tuesday. His first pitch was measured at 96 mph on the stadium gun. The Red Sox left-hander matched that speed multiple times and topped out at 97.”

• Hook 'Em 1

I had no idea there was a Red Sox thread on this site. I'm mostly a lurker on here to read about football and baseball recruiting news, but I will start posting in here.  I'm excited to see what Chaim does before the trade deadline, and to see how the rest of the season unfolds in the AL East. Obligatory fuck the yankees as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

I’m all for Rizzo if the price is right, but a possibly cheaper (trade-wise) name I’m hearing is the Rockies’ CJ Cron.

Granted he’s a righty rather than a lefty, but he’s having a better season than Rizzo is, and Chaim is familiar with what he can do when he was in Tampa (30 HR and a .816 OPS in 140 games).

The Marlins’ Jesus Aguilar would be more expensive than Cron, but is fucking crushing it this year.

I’m ok with any of those three.

Dalbec has shown moments here and there, but just isn’t consistent enough to be a playoff team’s everyday 1B.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yep, fuck em and welcome! So who should we go for? I would like to snag Rizzo but could cost a lot. What should we give up for him? 

https://bosoxinjection.com/2021/07/21/red-sox-rumors-anthony-rizzo-good-fit-trade-deadline-upgrade/

I do think the price is probably too high for Rizzo (maybe wouldn't be if DD was still around).  We definitely need another bat to add to the lineup considering Danny Santana or Chavis gets plugged in anytime someone gets hurt.  I think that and maybe a suitable relief pitcher would make this year's team lethal. 

Speaking of lethal, this changeup from Richards last night was insane. 

Edited by saul silver