Boston Red Sox 2021 thread

dbecks

Part of me thinks that Aaron Boone pulling Cessa and going with Green/Kriske was his roundabout way of making up for last week's BS (rain delay, Dugie getting plunked by fan, umpire debacle). The other part of me thinks that is just Aaron Boone's management style.  Either way, I'm glad to get a game back on them in the standings.

Chris Cotillo:

“Reports indicate Red Sox have their eyes on some big names (Scherzer, Rizzo, Kimbrel). Knowing how Bloom operates, don't think they'll jump the market and beat the field on those guys with massive offers. Just a guess.

Instead, could wait until price drops Thu/Fri”

Scherzer just seems like too far of a reach, I refuse to bite on that one.

Rizzo would be fun for nostalgic reasons, and would just be a rental with free agency looming (so cheaper), but Carlos Santana is another option floating around.

Obviously he’s past his prime, but gets on base, still has some power, and hits from both sides of the plate. We’ll see. Whole lotta action anticipated before 4pm eastern time on Friday.

I think the Sox should make a play for Eric Hosmer.  The Padres need to dump him and he could be a cheap pickup.  I believe the Pads are expecting to pay most his salary and add a prospect or 2.  Not many teams out there that need a first baseman.  He'd be an improvement over what we have now plus he's a lefty.  I like RIzzo more but Hosmer could be had on the cheap.

I refuse to believe Bloom goes after a big name.  Think low cost bargain bin types.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Snotrocket said:

Sox just entered the Scherzer sweepstakes?  Oh please let this be true.  Don’t toy with my emotions Red Sox brass.  Sale Scherzer 1, 2 would be devastating come playoff time.

Please  make a legitimate attempt to get him.

You’re not connected, are you?

In news that hits close to home, the Sox today outrighted RHP Brandon Workman off the major league roster. He has elected to become a free agent.

Damn. He got lit the fuck up in his last outing, but had a solid ERA for most of June/July. With the trades (and lukewarm arms) they just gained, I guess there just wasn’t room. Hope I’m wrong, but this is a shitty move.

• Hook 'Em 1

Getting swept out of first fucking sucks. 13-12 I July. At least there’s a decent chance at a rebound @ the Tigers (who are better now than last time they played).

Also, this:

Chris Sale expected to make at least one more minor league rehab start. If all goes well, Sale could be back in the Sox rotation by the middle of the month.

Tanner Houck > Garrett Richards

Richards may have just made his last (sub-par) start for the Sox. Rumor is he’ll be put in the bullpen, and if he doesn’t objects, will be DFA’d.

Houck might take some time to be worked into a full-time (5-6 inning) starter, so might have a strict pitch/inning limit if/when he’s put into the rotation.

Not picking up another SP at the deadline will cost us a playoff spot.

Just lost a series to the Tigers. The fucking Detroit Tigers… this very well may be the wheels falling off.

Martin Perez in his last 11 starts: 7.13 ERA
Nick Pivetta in his last 13 starts: 5.43 ERA
Garrett Richards in his last 9 starts: 7.36 ERA

1 hour ago, dbecks said:

Just lost a series to the Tigers. The fucking Detroit Tigers… this very well may be the wheels falling off.

Martin Perez in his last 11 starts: 7.13 ERA
Nick Pivetta in his last 13 starts: 5.43 ERA
Garrett Richards in his last 9 starts: 7.36 ERA

Like I said, not picking up a SP will cost us a playoff spot.  Sale will bump one of those guys but we can't be trotting out 2 of those guys plus this years version of Rodriguez down the stretch and make the playoffs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

When it rains, it pours.

Sources confirm Kyle Schwarber has suffered a minor setback with a left groin strain in the midst of his rehab from a right hamstring strain. The setback isn’t expected to significantly delay his timetable for return, but nevertheless is concerning.