Chris Beard to Texas

Machinator

Ramey?
guy is a net zero or less over the course of a season. More bad than good. Unless you think he will take coaching now that it will be proffered. 

Dont know if his game can be rehabbed, but dude could ball right out of the gate. When concepts and plays consistently are designed to attack the other team’s weaknesses, space the court, divert and distract the defense, all of a sudden Ramey will get 2-3 more gimmes a game.

Nevertheless, without transfers, next year will be a struggle. As is, Ramey will be the star on a bad team.

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

"Mark" Adams would be great. Otherwise nope.

I said this in a PM to @Braff Zacklin already but apparently he is the only one that hasn't cleaned his desk out and left Lubbock and is on the fence about joining Beard at Texas, for whatever that's worth. It'd be interesting to see how Beard operates without him if he doesn't end up joining Beard in Austin.

7 minutes ago, HookEm said:

My Tech alumni dad:  I guess loyalty means nothing to Chris Beard

Me:  Are you loyal to Tech?

Tech dad: Of course

Me: Why?

Tech dad: Because I graduated from Tech

Me:

winning independence day GIF by IFC

spacer.png

Your dad ripping up the will with your name in it...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

CDC has made some great hires.  I think Beard will be great here, even though next year is probably going to suck even with the possibility of portal enhancements to the roster.   But he will do definitely do more next year than Shaka would have, and by year two or three we should be in a really good spot.   

I actually expect him to recruit better than Shaka overall, in addition to the dramatically better coaching and development.  Shaka has done jack shit in Dallas for about 5 years now, and DFW is arguably the top metro area in the country for basketball recruiting now.

Not just Shaka.  Rick didn't hadn't had much luck in Dallas either.  For whatever reason Dallas area recruits gave been much more nationally prominent and their AAU squads are notoriously hard to deal with. Myles Turner and I believe Andrew Jones played for off-brand AAU programs which made it easier for us to have an in with them, but we're basically o-for the last 16 years in the Dallas area since LaMarcus Aldridge. Even during that time we missed out on guys like Chris Bosh, Ike Diogu, Bracey Wright, Derringer Williams, etc.

24 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Adams is the favorite to land the HC job at Tech

Agreed and my guess is Beard told him... stick around the job should be yours, but if for some reason they are dumb enough to pass on you I've got an assistant coaching job with a raise attached to it waiting for you in Austin.

• Hook 'Em 2