Chris Beard to Texas

Machinator

Just now, Hornlover said:

My dream job is not having to have a job. I'm not sure what the rest of you fuckers are on about.

This. backup would be teaching at UT. If someone else offered more money I'd go there though. Fuck you pay me.

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

I think we all can agree "Better not show your face north of Brady" is a fucking all-time great line.

That's about as small town bumpkin as you can get.  Imagine escaping from that.

"JED, YOU BEST GIT YOUR ASS OUTTA HAR WITH THAT TEXAS TEA MONEY! DON'T YOU DARE COME THIS SIDE OF BUG TUSSLE EVAR 'GIN!!!"

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I used to "Bleed Lubbock" also.  Then I saw Dr. Sameer Islam near Tech, about an offer regarding some hemorrhoid banding for life.  Now, my anus and I feel great.  

Edited by Lobo

30 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Between BitterWhiteGuy from Barking Carnival and Will Curry from BON, the SBN guys are faaaar from thrilled with this hire. Not that I agree, but just putting it out there.

Considering his recruiting classes, Shaka's offenses were wildly inconsistent and completely pathetic half the time:

2016: 49

2017: 177

2018: 89

2019: 29

2020: 153

2021: 30

You could argue Beard is an upgrade on offense, considering what he had to work with. Let's see what he can do if he brings in better overall talent than what he had at Tech.

Edited by CurlyDumps

42 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

This. backup would be teaching at UT. If someone else offered more money I'd go there though. Fuck you pay me.

I've taught at UT.  It's really not that great.

Well, it would be great if you didn't have to deal with the students.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

I've taught at UT.  It's really not that great.

Well, it would be great if you didn't have to deal with the students.

as opposed to that other large university filled with benevolent, humble, and attentive 19 year olds.  What's it called again?  Oh yeah...Panacea State University.  

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Dumb question about Beard that's probably been asked and answered, but did he have any kind of playing role here before becoming a student assistant?  Walk on?  Practice player?

I went two pages past your question and never saw a response. I stole this from someone who stole it from some 9.95er (247?), but it was a good write up on his start at Texas straight from Penders himself:

Spoiler

TOM PENDERS’ PERSPECTIVE ON HIS FORMER STUDENT ASSISTANT CHRIS BEARD

As a student at Texas in the early 1990s, Chris Beard went to then-UT basketball coach Tom Penders about being involved with the Longhorns’ program.

“Chris wasn’t a bad player,” Penders told Horns247. “He wanted to walk on. We didn’t really have room for walk-ons at that time. He said he wanted to be a coach one day, so I kept giving him more duties.

“We put him in the room next to mine — an 8-foot by 12-foot cubby hole — cutting up film.

“Chris was always in that room,” Penders said. “If I had to do it over again, of course, film study has gotten more advanced, but I would’ve spent more time in the film room, because that was a great way to break down opponents.

“By Chris’ senior year, he was like an assistant coach. We were able to give him a scholarship, and he earned it.”

Penders said Beard was no pushover as a student manager and was always hanging around the coaches, whenever possible.

“Being a manager can be tough,” Penders said. “The kids, the players, sometimes tease the managers. But if the kids were rude to him, Chris would just ignore them. He was nobody’s gopher, although he would’ve done anything for the coaches.

“Chris always sat up in the front of the bus with us and listened and was a loyal — very, very loyal guy. He’s family to me. You get close to players, and in Chris’ case, because he was such a sponge, I got close to him as a manager. Like I said, as a senior, he was like an assistant coach.”

Penders isn’t surprised Beard has gone on to be a success as a head coach and still stays in touch. Penders said before the 2019 season, he went to Lubbock and spent about a week observing Beard’s program, sitting in on meetings and practices.

“It’s his preparation, time in the film room, and then his ability to communicate with the players without being overbearing or condescending,” Penders said. “He might get on a guy, but he’ll walk off the floor with his arm around the kid.

“His players really respect him, because he really cares about his players, and that comes through in his day-to-day work.

“People talk about five-star kids. He’ll take four-star kids and make them fives by his coaching. All of his players, without exception, get better every year. You see it, and it’s largely in the confidence area. Their skills improve, but their confidence really improves at an amazing level.”

Penders said he likes that Beard’s teams are always mentally and physically tough.

“It doesn’t do any good to win the recruiting wars if you don’t know what’s in a kid’s heart or how tough he is,” Penders said. “Chris finds those kids with skill who are tough, and then he brings toughness to his teams. In practices, he doesn’t blow the whistle every time there’s a touch foul.”

I asked Penders about Beard’s ability to evaluate talent.

“He’s excellent,” Penders said. “He always makes a pitch to the top kids. But it’s a tougher sell to get them to go to Lubbock then it is to go to Austin.

• Hook 'Em 4

Is it possible Beard is just wanting out of Lubbock because the heat on the pedophile dentist scandal is heating up?  Word is it's going to take down some big names.  Just wondering (and not serious).

Not in love with this hire.  Feels more like going after the shiny toy that other kid on the playground has rather than hiring the right fit for the program.  Hard to see Beard's "street dog" mentality working with the type of recruits we typically get.  And if he doesn't bring Adams with him, you're not getting the defense Tech has been known for. 

• Fuck You 7

My only fear is that his hard-ass, lunch pail, underdog approach may actually work better with the guys he was recruiting to Tech.  At Texas he will get much higher quality recruits who will need a different style of coaching.  I think he will be up for it though. 

My dream would be for us to have a Michigan-State level of success here - and I think Tom Izzo could be a reasonable comp for Beard's ceiling here. He is also known for his defensive wizardry and ability to coach up his players.  And to some degree he prefers to take 3-4 year players instead of the one and dones. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Is it possible Beard is just wanting out of Lubbock because the heat on the pedophile dentist scandal is heating up?  Word is it's going to take down some big names.  Just wondering (and not serious).

Not in love with this hire.  Feels more like going after the shiny toy that other kid on the playground has rather than hiring the right fit for the program.  Hard to see Beard's "street dog" mentality working with the type of recruits we typically get.  And if he doesn't bring Adams with him, you're not getting the defense Tech has been known for. 

Terrible GIF by memecandy

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I don't follow basketball as much as a lot of others, but this is good, right? 

From Gerry Hamilton:

Spoiler

Ogden is a terrific evaluator.

Zhaire Smith and Davide Moretti were his evals early. Ogden was the Tech coach that flew to Italy to see Moretti in person.

He was key in that 2017 class that led to getting to the E8 and NC game.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

UNC wouldn't look at him.  They stick with family due to the skeletons in the closet.  

Ahhh “the Carolina way”. 

It is interesting to me that all of the blue bloods hire a certain profile. I think Duke will get popped for some shit pretty quickly after K leaves. Jeff Capel isn’t getting the Ncaa love that K gets if he takes over. I actually saw a quote from bill self looking up an old article. In 2005 or 2006 he told his staff “I don’t care what we have to do but we have to win here”. Kinda a quote that in the right context let’s you peel back the skin to see the underbelly of big time hoops. UNC is no different. UK is no different. Duke is no different they just have the golden boy as their coach. Indiana might be different and that’s why they have fallen behind the other blue bloods. 

Edited by Jhawk

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

From Gerry Hamilton:

Reveal hidden contents

Ogden is a terrific evaluator.

Zhaire Smith and Davide Moretti were his evals early. Ogden was the Tech coach that flew to Italy to see Moretti in person.

He was key in that 2017 class that led to getting to the E8 and NC game.

He’s also a Lifetime Longhorn and coached under Barnes 

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom

36 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

I certainly hope not. Beard’s not being paid for Tech tears, he’s paid to win. Tech gave him the opportunity and I can’t blame them for being unhappy about his departure.

7CFC0777-ACCB-4D1C-8383-46CC27627893.gif

Edited by ChiTownDoc
Edit: no tears???
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Whatever happened to the really successful UTA coach that their dumbass AD ran off so that he could hire Ogden?

Scott Cross. Spent a year as a TCU assistant and then took the head job at Troy, where he has a 20-39 overall record. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

One of my favorite things about just how prestigious the Texas job is (for any sport) is the ability to hire sitting head coaches to take a step down to be Texas assistants.

Basketball - Chris Ogden (UTA)
Football - Jeff Choate (Montana State)
Softball - Megan Bartlett (Ball State)

51 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Between BitterWhiteGuy from Barking Carnival and Will Curry from BON, the SBN guys are faaaar from thrilled with this hire. Not that I agree, but just putting it out there.

I'd rather him explain to me why Chris Beard's system seems to work than just plant his flag. One thing I've learned from reading Texas fansites and listening to Texas podcasts is that the guys that cover our teams are wrong most of the time. It's just usually because they're too optimistic.

4 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I'd rather him explain to me why Chris Beard's system seems to work than just plant his flag. One thing I've learned from reading Texas fansites and listening to Texas podcasts is that the guys that cover our teams are wrong most of the time. It's just usually because they're too optimistic.

You're reading it wrong, @Bitterwhiteguy think's Beard's offense is milquetoast at best.