Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

Probably closes the door on Sims, but Disu probably has more offensive game than Jericho. I wonder if Beard can still pull in Williams on top of Disu. Probably not as some of these guys will want to play, and we are starting to see the minutes fill up at the F & C spots.

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Probably closes the door on Sims, but Disu probably has more offensive game than Jericho. I wonder if Beard can still pull in Williams on top of Disu. Probably not as some of these guys will want to play, and we are starting to see the minutes fill up at the F & C spots.

Why would it close the door on Sims? 

Disu is likely not a 5. 

Edited by texasstrong12

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Especially if Greg Brown comes back. 

Greg Brown isn't coming back to compete with Allen, Disu, Mitchell for minutes at the 4, and he's definitely not coming back to play an undersized 5 when he projects as a 4 with potential to swing down if he develops at the NBA level. You have to read the writing on the wall with some of the guys coming in.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Why would it close the door on Sims? 

Disu is likely not a 5. 

Well if he's starting with Bishop and Allen in the front court, where does that put him? And he's not coming here to come off the bench, neither is Allen or Bishop. You can technically call him a F, and maybe Beard's offense can feature 3 true F's in the game at the same time.

Edited by HtownHorn

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Well if he's starting with Bishop and Allen in the front court, where does that put him? And he's not coming here to come off the bench, neither is Allen or Bishop. You can technically call him a F, and maybe Beard's offense can feature 3 true F's in the game at the same time.

I think one of them will be coming off the bench, I'd guess Bishop and that our center is still TBD

Edited by Teryor

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Allen is probably going to play a ton of minutes at the 3. 

Yeah, unless something has changed I don't think Disu wants to play huge minutes at the 5. 

I'm sure both Bishop and Disu would be willing to play a few minutes there if needed. 

But I don't see why guys like Bishop and Disu can't split minutes at the 4. Texas did last year with 2 guys that most thought were lottery picks (I.e. Brown and Kai Jones). 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Meant Bishop. His dad has said he's not playing the 5, Disu explicitly was played as a forward this season.

Athletic bigs don’t like to be called 5s. We can call Disu a 4 if he wants, he’ll still be the tallest guy on the floor in orange and will guard the tallest guy wearing the other color. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If Disu is at the 5 we'd have to stagger Bishop and Allen quite a bit for spacing purposes.

You realize that Beard's teams don't shoot 3's, they play their offense almost entirely inside the arc. When you move off the ball, cut, and pass with meaning you can create plenty of space.

Beard vs. Shaka teams in 3 PA per game.

2021 - 18.0, 303rd; 24.1, 69th

2020 - 20.4, 235th; 23.9, 92nd

2019 - 20.0, 278th; 25.2, 70th

2018 - 19.0, 284th; 22.5, 141st

2017 - 18.0, 294th; 18.8, 264th

Edited by HtownHorn

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

You realize that Beard's teams don't shoot 3's, they play their offense almost entirely inside the arc. When you move off the ball, cut, and pass with meaning you can create plenty of space.

Even so, spacing created via threat of the long-distance shot is still valuable, just like having a "true point guard" in a motion offense isn't necessarily vital but still useful.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Even so, spacing created via threat of the long-distance shot is still valuable, just like having a "true point guard" in a motion offense isn't necessarily vital but still useful.

I'm guessing Beard is going to rebound the shit out of the basketball to lead to 2nd chance points.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I'm guessing Beard is going to rebound the shit out of the basketball to lead to 2nd chance points.

I don't think I'll miss watching the ball passed around the perimeter for a contested, late shot clock 3 or spilling my bourbon as the shot bounces off the side of the backboard.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Beard's teams might not be as 3 point attempt happy as Shaka's teams, but it doesn't mean that his teams don't shoot the 3 ball. His teams are under average by 2-3 attempts/game.

https://www.si.com/college/unc/basketball/201920-ncaa-three-point-percentage

Allen (majority of the minutes at the 3). You can also play A. Jones, Cunningham, and Tyson here. 

Bishop and Disu (split minutes at the 4)

Sims (majority of the minutes at the 5). Ongenda makes a lot of sense as the 2nd guy here because he might be willing to be a smaller minutes guy until there is roster turnover next season. 

According to Gerry, we are "in the mix" with this undersized Georgia guard.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4431725/sahvir-wheeler

He was once an A&M signee and Buzz kind of ran him off but he had a very good FR season at Georgia. 

Wheeler can really score. 

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Something like this would be a crazy roster, especially given where we were a few weeks ago:

PG - Ramey / Askew

SG - Jones/ Febres

SF - Allen / Tyson / Cunningham

PF - Disu / Bishop

C - Sims / Ongenda

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Is Ongenda even a real possibility? 

According to Gerry, we are "in the mix" with this undersized Georgia guard.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4431725/sahvir-wheeler

All yourz basketball stars are belongs to us !!!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

He was once an A&M signee and Buzz kind of ran him off but he had a very good FR season at Georgia. 

Wheeler can really score. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Those are pretty good assist numbers 

I would rather have Wheeler and Askew handle the ball than Ramey. Bring in those two and let them fight it out for starting PG.