Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

Texas could use another shooter so the Small offer makes sense. Just not sure if there's going to be much interest because of playing time. 

"Come join a final 4 roster" is a good selling point. 

I'm guessing Small would be the 2nd guy off the bench at the 3 if he came here behind Timmy Allen? But you still have Cunningham and Tyson that can play the 3 too. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

If we get Carr, I'm worried about how we're going to keep our score under 150 so as to maintain good sportsmanship.

I would be more concerned about team chemistry and so many really good players working together for the benefit of the team first. Beard knows what he is doing but they have to play with only 1 ball. 

So if Carr is here, what do we look like lineup wise? 

1 - Carr / Askew / Perryman

2 - Jones / Ramey / Febres / Benson

3 - Allen / Cunningham / Tyson 

4 - Disu / Bishop

5 - Mitchell 

Allen will play some 4, Bishop and Disu some 5.  Damn what a fucking roster.  

Edited by BurntOrangeBlooded15

13 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

So if Carr is here, what do we look like lineup wise? 

1 - Carr / Askew / Perryman

2 - Jones / Ramey / Febres / Benson

3 - Allen / Cunningham / Tyson 

4 - Disu / Bishop

5 - Mitchell 

Allen will play some 4, Bishop and Disu some 5.  Damn what a fucking roster.  

Pretty much, though I could see Ramey starting over Beard. I think Ramey’s really gonna thrive under Beard and he’s. A better player than Jones when he’s at his best. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/30/2021 at 5:10 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Donewald JR has a lot of experience overseas, NBA, college basketball, G-league, etc. His dad was also a big name in the college basketball world in the Northeast. This just seems like a guy with a ton of connections. 

Midwest.  His dad was Bobby Knight's top assistant at IU in the 70s, and coached a bunch of years at Illinois State.  Like BK, he was a hell of a coach, but kind of a raging asshole to his players at times.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Could somebody list out the all conference accolades for the transfers? I’ll start it off with Carr : 2020-2021 Third Team All Big Ten 

Timmy Allen was First Team All Pac 12 in 2020-21, Second Team All Pac 12 in 2019-2020 and Pac 12 All Freshman Team in 2018-2019

5 minutes ago, Mittens said:

What is the scholarship count at?  Is there only 1 available, obviously reserved for Carr?

Current scholarship players

Senior (1): Jase Febres 

Junior (5): Avery Benson, Andrew Jones, Courtney Ramey, Timmy Allen, Christian Bishop

Sophomore (3): Brock Cunningham, Dylan Disu, Tre Mitchell

Freshman (1): Devin Askew

Incoming (1): Jaylon Tyson

It appears we have two scholarship spots left, but we also have two incoming walk-ons. Unless there is some exception for players using a Covid year not counting against the roster limit, we would have 5 non-scholarship players projected to the roster (Whiteside, Nevins, Deutser, Perryman, and Bott). Unless the existing walk-ons leave or some kind of roster limit exception is made, we're actually underwater by a head before adding Carr.

All of that said, I have no idea how rostering players works in CBB other than the limits. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It appears we have two scholarship spots left

Thanks.  That was what I was looking for.  

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Unless there is some exception for players using a Covid year not counting against the roster limit

My understanding is that a player who would have exhausted eligibility if not for the additional year granted because of Covid, doesn't count against the 13. 
Pretty sure that doesn't apply to Andrew Jones because he RS in 17/18, and Medical RS in 18/19.

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

I do wonder if Texas lands Carr and Small maybe Texas redshirts a player or 2 next season? 

Hard to imagine somebody as talented as Tyson would redshirt but Scott Drew has been doing this successfully at Baylor. 

They don't have anybody that needs a RS besides perhaps Tyson, though I doubt he is going to RS. What it does mean is Cunningham will likely get 5 minutes every 4 or so games, it also means that if you don't play your ass off when you get your minutes your ass will be on the bench.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 12:51 AM, blacklab said:

If Lance Armstrong can do it so can Texas Basketball!

I have always said, Armstrong's only having one ball in and of itself is a competitive advantage.  If you don't believe me pull on some bicycle shorts and go ride 20 or 30 miles. You will laugh at how right I am! 

Can't wait to see if we can get a better game day atmosphere when we get the new Moody with Beard at the helm.  

3 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Teams who work the portal are going to need to keep 1 spot available until the NBA draft withdrawal deadline happens. A lot of good players like Bagley are just now really exploring the transfer market.

Think he is going back to ASU

39 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Yea, he just announced it. Now I’m trying to figure out what the two Oral Roberts kids are going to do.

Update: Both Abmas and Obanor are withdrawing from the draft. Abmas, I think is staying at ORU, not sure he ever entered the portal. Obanor is in the portal and sounds like he’s leaving.

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The pitch is tough. Texas is already loaded in the front court. There is no chance Obanor is coming to Texas. 

Lots of nearby choices. Oklahoma St., Oklahoma, Houston, A&M, Texas Tech. I think you are right in that our roster would be a deterrence. ASU would be damn good with him.

Just now, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Is it?  Mitchell, Disu and Bischop.   Who else is there? 

It was already a miracle that Texas could land three players of that caliber in the front court. 

There are 80 minutes at PF and Center to divide between three players that could start anywhere. Bishop is probably coming off the bench after averaging a double double in the NCAA tournament for Creighton who made the sweet sixteen. 

There is no chance Obanor is coming here to be an 18-20 minute per game player and none of the other players on the roster would buy into that either. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It was already a miracle that Texas could land three players of that caliber in the front court. 

There are 80 minutes at PF and Center to divide between three players that could start anywhere. Bishop is probably coming off the bench after averaging a double double in the NCAA tournament for Creighton who made the sweet sixteen. 

There is no chance Obanor is coming here to be an 18-20 minute per game player and none of the other players on the roster would buy into that either. 

Unless they can convince him that he is a small forward and rotate Mitchell, Disu and Bishop between power forward and center. And Allen and Obanor at small forward with Obanor getting additional minutes at power forward. But Febres and Cunningham wouldn't be too thrilled.

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Would’ve had a better shot at Abmas if he had decided to transfer, and that’s only if we took him instead of trying to take Carr.

5 hours ago, Bevo said:

Unless they can convince him that he is a small forward and rotate Mitchell, Disu and Bishop between power forward and center. And Allen and Obanor at small forward with Obanor getting additional minutes at power forward. But Febres and Cunningham wouldn't be too thrilled.

Lulz at thinking anyone gives a shit about Febres and Cunningham. They are end of the bench players, though Febres might have a more defined role in a real offense.

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Did Carr announce and I miss it?  

No he hasn’t announced, he’s still choosing and we’re still in pursuit. That’s why I said trying.

I just meant if Abmas was transferring, we could’ve had a shot, but we’d have to choose who to prioritize between him or Carr because they obviously wouldn’t both come.

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

No he hasn’t announced, he’s still choosing and we’re still in pursuit. That’s why I said trying.

I just meant if Abmas was transferring, we could’ve had a shot, but we’d have to choose who to prioritize between him or Carr because they obviously wouldn’t both come.

Gotcha. I’d already had Carr penciled in with how this has all been going in the portal. Misread your tense. Thanks. 

Humidor

Spoiler

The Texas staff was on the road yesterday, and throughout the weekend evaluating/recruiting prospects in the 2022 and 2023 classes. The staff was watching PF Kijani Wright (Windward School/Los Angeles), SG Keyonte George (iSchool Academy), PG Arterio Morris (iSchool Academy) and others Thursday.

Wright remains a Texas vs. Stanford and USC battle. George remains considered a Texas lean over Baylor and Morris is considered a Texas lean. Wright is expected to decide in August, if not the end of July. George has been planning a November decision (his birthday is in November), but that could be moved up. Morris could be the closest to announcing a decision.

The staff is working to make a move with 6-foot-3 CG Cason Wallace (Richardson High), but they may be too far behind Tennessee, Kentucky and Baylor. Should Morris call the staff and be ready to shut it down, that would likely end the Wallace recruitment.

Texas continues the pursuit of five-star center Kel’el Ware (North Little Rock, AR), and he remains scheduled to make an OV to Texas the weekend of September 4th.

IT doesn’t have anything new to add on Minnesota transfer point guard Marcus Carr. Texas was considered the leader once the 6-foot-2 withdrew from the NBA Draft, and Louisville remains the most serious threat. There have been multiple Zoom calls and consistent communication with Carr and his circle. Texas has strong connections here, and Carr knows exactly how he would fit on a loaded Texas team as the final piece of a Final Four contender.

• Hook 'Em 2