Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The NCAA is handing wavers out like candy. I don't think this will have any impact at all. 

I haven’t seen any test cases for players who put their name in the portal after the deadline. Have you?

Not disagreeing with you in general that the NCAA is more prone to hand out waivers these days, but in your hypothetical you’re asking Beard and Co. to contact a player on another team impermissibly, convince them to enter the portal for NIL assurances, with complete confidence the NCAA is going to grant a waiver. I think that whole scenario is a lot likelier in your imagination than reality. Not trying to insult you. It just doesn’t pass any kind of check on my sense of reality. 

10 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Perhaps he and the people around him are using common sense. I’ve been saying for a while that:

a) Beard is fearless about recruiting over people

b) adding Hunter would mean there’s way too many people with expectations to initiate the offense to keep them happy. Which is not a knock on anyone. I’m thrilled we may be getting Hunter. He’s a humongous upgrade at the PG position over any other option. He’ll be the best PG on campus since TJ Ford, and that includes DJ Augustin, who I loved. Augustin was a way better outside shooter, but in pretty much every other category Hunter is either his equal or better. And he’s coming in with a year under his belt of being the man at a high level of competition, on a Sweet Sixteen team. 

I’d prefer to keep Morris if given that as an option. He’s a true point guard at 6’5, an explosive athlete, with one and done type potential. Beard will find ways to get him on the court. Maybe even as a Tyty Washington at Kentucky type, and that didn’t slow down Washington’s NBA ambitions even a little. 

But any of that are secondary concerns. The number one thing is getting Hunter on campus. He’ll make the team demonstrably better. I wish there was an equivalent big guy to add alongside him, but alas it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen. At this point I’d still like a potential interior body to throw in there, if possible. 

I dont get the gushing over Hunter. I didnt watch a ton of ISU basketball last year, but when I did see them play he jump off the screen like some transcendent talent . He's a nice player, but no way is he clearly better than DJ was at Texas. I obviously watched a lot more Augustin, but I'd take him all day over Hunter.

Freshman stats on a 40 min basis - DJ 16.2 pts 7.5 ast 3.2 rebs, Hunter 13.8 pts, 6.2 ast, 4.4 reb.

Soph version of DJ won the Cousy Award as the nations best PG, was 1st team all american, and drafted 9th.

If he transfers in, great. If he transfers in and we lose Morris, meh. we trade a 6'5 guy for a 6'0 guy on a team already starved for height. 

Hunter won Big 12 freshman of the year in the best conference in college basketball. He's an elite playmaker and excellent on-ball defender. 

Not sure if serious? I hope Texas keeps Morris, but in no way should Texas prioritize a player that's not played at this level compared to a guy that a lot of people think will be an All-American caliber player next season. 

Not to mention Morris might be a one and done player to begin with. 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I dont get the gushing over Hunter. I didnt watch a ton of ISU basketball last year, but when I did see them play he jump off the screen like some transcendent talent . He's a nice player, but no way is he clearly better than DJ was at Texas. I obviously watched a lot more Augustin, but I'd take him all day over Hunter.

Freshman stats on a 40 min basis - DJ 16.2 pts 7.5 ast 3.2 rebs, Hunter 13.8 pts, 6.2 ast, 4.4 reb.

Soph version of DJ won the Cousy Award as the nations best PG, was 1st team all american, and drafted 9th.

If he transfers in, great. If he transfers in and we lose Morris, meh. we trade a 6'5 guy for a 6'0 guy on a team already starved for height. 

Augustin is the better scorer but Hunter is the better playmaker and defender. I'm not convinced you watched Iowa State this past season. 

Hunter was unreal for a freshman and it's why the national champions from last season want him. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Augustin is the better scorer but Hunter is the better playmaker and defender. I'm not convinced you watched Iowa State this past season. 

Hunter was unreal for a freshman and it's why the national champions from last season want him. 

I admitted I didnt watch a ton of Iowa State last year, probably the two games against texas and a few other random games.

@ISU 13 pts, 8 ast , 3 reb

@Tex 10 pts, 1 ast, 7 reb

I said he's a nice player, so I'm not trashing the guy.  Its kind of a pointless argument, but  DJ had better better scoring/shooting numbers, better assist & assist/TO numbers, won the Cousy award as a soph, voted unanimous first team all-american as a soph, and a top 10 NBA draft pick.  I'm gonna need to see more out of Hunter before I agree he would be the best PG we've had on campus since TJ. If that's a controversial assessment, so be it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Where is this arterio Morris 6’5 narrative coming from? He’s long, but he’s maybe a touch over 6’3. Hunter is maybe a bit over 6’.

They have different play styles, but maybe morris doesn’t want to share the ball that much.  Hunter would help us win more next year. 

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Where is this arterio Morris 6’5 narrative coming from? He’s long, but he’s maybe a touch over 6’3. Hunter is maybe a bit over 6’.

They have different play styles, but maybe morris doesn’t want to share the ball that much.  Hunter would help us win more next year. 

I'm lazy, SL mentioned Morris as 6'5 so I went with it. 

11 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I admitted I didnt watch a ton of Iowa State last year, probably the two games against texas and a few other random games.

I said he's a nice player, so I'm not trashing the guy.  Its kind of a pointless argument, but  DJ had better better scoring/shooting numbers, better assist & assist/TO numbers, won the Cousy award as a soph, voted unanimous first team all-american as a soph, and a top 10 NBA draft pick.  I'm gonna need to see more out of Hunter before I agree he would be the best PG we've had on campus since TJ. If that's a controversial assessment, so be it. 

I am for one surprised that Augustin had better offensive numbers (particularly assists) playing with Kevin Durant. 

I watched DJ a ton in high school, both on his HS team and in AAU ball, in addition to every game he played at Texas. The point isn’t really to say Hunter is better than DJ, as much as it is to emphasize how big this pickup really is. Hey, if someone told me we had the reincarnation of DJ joining the team next year, I’d be thrilled about that, too. The big thing about Hunter is that he’s not the shooter DJ was, and this team could really use better 3 point shooting. 

What will set Hunter apart is his explosive athleticism. DJ could beat a defender off the dribble, but it’s because he was such an elite ball handler and had such a craftiness to his game. Augustin’s change of pace with the ball was elite. Hunter blows by defenders because he’s explosive with and without the ball. DJ wasn’t a great defender, primarily because of that lack of athleticism. Hunter is an elite on the ball defender. 

I do question how he’ll do on switching at 6’, but we’ll find out. I’d try to exploit that if I’m a Texas opponent. But Hunter has elite hands, lateral quickness, and anticipation as an on and off the ball defender. It’ll say this. Augustin couldn’t dunk the ball for the life of him, whereas Hunter dunks the ball with ease. 

Hunter is elite against the press (so was Augustin, frankly). He has great floor vision (Augustin was slightly better, but Hunter is in the same classroom). Hunter will be the worst FT shooter in the lineup if he doesn’t improve significantly in the off-season, and as a point guard and someone I expect will get to the line regularly that’s an element of concern, especially late game. But TJ Ford wasn’t an elite free throw shooter, either. 

Again, the point is to give people an understanding of how much he’ll help improve the team. Saying he’s the kind of pickup that rivals Augustin in impact is my way of doing that. Heck, having Matt Coleman on last year’s team would have done wonders. Hunter is way above that. 

PS apparently I was determined to give Morris 2” lifts on his shoes. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Morris seems like the PG mold Beard wants as a long, athletic defender who can guard multiple positions (it's all about defense!). Beard definitely has to find ways to get him on the court and keep him happy. I think the lineup could be:

PG: Hunter

SG: Carr

SF: Allen

PF: Mitchell

C Bishop/Disu

Then you have Morris as the 6th man (comes in for Hunter, Carr, or Allen, plays PG whenever Hunter is out). Rice next off the bench at the SG/SF positions. Cunningham backup SF/PF. We'll also see a lot of small ball with Allen at the 4 which opens up minutes for Morris/Rice.

I actually think Carr as 6th man could make a lot of sense, coming in as a pure scorer when the other scorers are out, but I don't see any way that ends up happening.

11 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Morris seems like the PG mold Beard wants as a long, athletic defender who can guard multiple positions (it's all about defense!). Beard definitely has to find ways to get him on the court and keep him happy. I think the lineup could be:

PG: Hunter

SG: Carr

SF: Allen

PF: Mitchell

C Bishop/Disu

Then you have Morris as the 6th man (comes in for Hunter, Carr, or Allen, plays PG whenever Hunter is out). Rice next off the bench at the SG/SF positions. Cunningham backup SF/PF. We'll also see a lot of small ball with Allen at the 4 which opens up minutes for Morris/Rice.

I actually think Carr as 6th man could make a lot of sense, coming in as a pure scorer when the other scorers are out, but I don't see any way that ends up happening.

The two things the team will lack is elite 3 point shooting and enough quality big men. Also, I have some mild concerns regarding Hunter on switches.

They’ll be much better at attacking off the dribble, which was a HUGE weakness last year. Hunter, Rice, Morris, and Dion Mitchell are all better than anyone on the team last year. Should be a better fast break team, but a lot of that is coaching. Beard favors a more deliberate style of offense, and loathes releasing players early on the defensive end. 

I was also guilty of buying into last year’s preseason hype, which wasn’t fair to the talent that was assembled. It was never a top 5 collection of talent. I’d like to keep my expectations to a top 15 type team until I see how the team actually performs with their various parts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Not disagreeing with you in general that the NCAA is more prone to hand out waivers these days, but in your hypothetical you’re asking Beard and Co. to contact a player on another team impermissibly, convince them to enter the portal for NIL assurances, with complete confidence the NCAA is going to grant a waiver. I think that whole scenario is a lot likelier in your imagination than reality. Not trying to insult you. It just doesn’t pass any kind of check on my sense of reality. 

If Texas is offering the type NIL deal they are for Hunter all that means nothing. 

Money is money. 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If Texas is offering the type NIL deal they are for Hunter all that means nothing. 

Money is money. 

Then can some 6'9-6'11 guy fucking graduate and come get paid? 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Money is money. 

You’re crafting a narrative in your head that’s not going to play out this year. We’ll see if something happens along those lines next year prior to the portal deadline. 

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Hunter won Big 12 freshman of the year in the best conference in college basketball. He's an elite playmaker and excellent on-ball defender. 

Not sure if serious? I hope Texas keeps Morris, but in no way should Texas prioritize a player that's not played at this level compared to a guy that a lot of people think will be an All-American caliber player next season. 

Not to mention Morris might be a one and done player to begin with. 

Nailed it. Great post.

Highlights.

The first 1:50 is of Hunter shooting the three. He was a 27% 3 point shooter on the year, so take those highlights with a grain of salt.

From 1:50 to 3:24 are highlights of his dunks.

3:24 on are his dimes  

Its a highlight reel, so take it for what it is, but as 5m of clips it’s worth watching to see him at his best in some regards.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

I love it when people make a definitive argument while simultaneously admitting they haven’t done the research required to support the argument. Well done sir. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Well I’d love a great three point shooter as well but only a fucking idiot would pass up hunter. Bitter white gut I actually love your takes so we can all destroy your dumb ass on here. I wish you’d come back and post here because we all know your pussy ass is lurking.

Hunter did make 7 of 11 threes against LSU in the NCAA tourney, so he could I dunno improve. That seems like a thing that happens after freshman year. 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

This is going to shock you that Bitterwhite guy is now meh on Tyrese Hunter. My god this guy is a fucking dweeb. 

He does clarify that the reason it was specifically mean was that he'd be an uptempo offense, which is his biggest hateboner about Beard:

Putting Hunter in an uptempo offense running next to guys like Gradey Dick, Braun, and/or Wilson is going to ruin some Big 12 coaches' offseason

I actually wish Carr hadn't come back. He's a horrible shooter. He only scores lots of points as a volume shooter and he's really inefficient doing it.  He's not particularly physically imposing on either end.  I mean... I'd rather Carr go pro or transfer.  Keep Morris. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's SO MAD

Bitterwhiteguy is mad because he knows Hunter is good. He's been trying to wishcast Hunter to schools like Gonzaga and Kansas for weeks on twitter. It's not because Hunter is a bad fit it's because he knows Hunter is good. 

It's hilariously sad. 

He makes an ass out of himself time and again all because he cannot admit that he was wrong about Shaka Smart.  He will find fault with literally everything Beard does because he's a small and petty man.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, RabidM said:

I actually wish Carr hadn't come back. He's a horrible shooter. He only scores lots of points as a volume shooter and he's really inefficient doing it.  He's not particularly physically imposing on either end.  I mean... I'd rather Carr go pro or transfer.  Keep Morris. 

This is really stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, RabidM said:

I don’t get the love for Carr either. He was frustrating as hell for most of the season and people seem to have forgotten that based on a good game vs. Purdue.

He averaged 11 points a game, doesn’t possess elite athleticism, and doesn’t shoot free throws well for a shooting guard. 

Edited by Ghost of Shag
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Ghost of Shag said:

I don’t get the love for Carr either. He was frustrating as hell for most of the season and people seem to have forgotten that based on a good game vs. Purdue.

He averaged 11 points a game, doesn’t possess elite athleticism, and doesn’t shoot free throws well for guard. 

He's never broken 40% FG shooting for his entire fucking career.  His stroke isn't bad, he's just inaccurate and people want to make him the starting SG?  FFS why?  He's just a drain on offensive efficiency and he can't stretch the floor with shooting to create space.  If he's your primary SG, teams can just pack the lane and clog everything up. 

• Hook 'Em 1