Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

11 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Here’s an overview from On3’s Gerry Hamilton regarding Texas targets. There is no one better in covering Texas basketball than Gerry. I consider him the best in the business in many respects in both football and basketball. It’s dated, especially regarding Walter’s commitment to Baylor, but still a better list than simply searching under Texas offers:

https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/texas-targets-in-the-updated-on3-top-150/

Many thanks for the list!

14 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

Would prefer that our kid's NIL get spread around some more rather than all go to one player.

I'm sure I'm wrong on how all that works though.  I'm not up on NIL.

image.png.5d6a9295176720ec0d36239e2e5be4cd.png

https://www.on3.com/db/bronny-james-144220/nil/

His value is that high because of his social media presence. He would be paid directly by Instagram/tiktok and could facilitate other pay-per-post deals that would have nothing to do with our NIL deals. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

If he even goes to college (and I agree getting to the pros ASAP is more likely, regardless of whether he’s really good enough), Bronny James can and would get massive amounts of “real” NIL and sponsorships that aren’t just donors paying him to go to their school.  It’s apples and oranges to any other recruit.  

LeBron is routinely on record spreading the desire to culminate his career playing on the same team with Bronny, which will be at least two seasons from now (senior year of high school, freshman year of college) if Bronny actually attends. Within this scenario, LeBron would turn 40 y/o during Bronny's rookie season. So, regardless of the circumstance, I don't believe we'll see any reality in which Bronny isn't a one-and-done. He'll be drafted on name and potential; and as longhornmatt already said, I have real doubts he chooses to attend a school for a year.

This isn't good news, but it's a sign that Beard and Co. have been working even this late on trying to bring in another big man.

6-11 220lb French player Zacharie Perrin committed to Illinois yesterday. He mentioned Texas as one of the schools recruiting him hard.

"I didn't consider college until very late in the process since I was focused on going pro with Antibes," Perrin said. "UCLA, Texas, Florida, Memphis and BYU all recruited me....

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/34156963/french-men-basketball-prospect-zacharie-perrin-commits-illinois-fighting-illini

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Really hope we can get Trey Johnson away from Baylor despite his Dad having gone there.

.  The kid is tremendously skilled. 

Well, Anthony Black went to Arkansas and Madisen Skinner transferred to Texas this past offseason after her sister had gone back to their Dad’s alma mater. 

So I’m saying there’s a chance!

First need to get him in on some kind of visit at least. I’m still holding out hope for AJ Johnson in the 2023 class, but I don’t know how realistic that is. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Donewald was on the road in place of Maligi all this time so it shouldn’t be an adjustment at all for him.

My guess is this all it really is. They want Donewald as one of the 3 main assistants over Howard.

The wording by the UT spokesperson makes it sound like a polite firing where they allow Howard to resign. 

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Recruiting doesn’t worry me that much because I think Beard does a lot of heavy lifting in that department and obviously Terry is solid as well.

Now that I think about this I believe Gerry brought up something about the initial staff construction a few weeks ago. He said something along the lines of Beard believing he needed more player development type coaches on staff. 

I didn't read much into it because I thought he was just discussing support staff. Now it all makes sense if he was dropping hints of what was coming. 

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Recruiting doesn’t worry me that much because I think Beard does a lot of heavy lifting in that department and obviously Terry is solid as well.

Chappell is going to be putting in 80 hour weeks.  Young up-and-coming assistants are always going to have to grind.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Just for fun

I'll reiterate my existing call for literally any other Texas basketball personality who is interesting on Twitter. Seriously, the other "journalists" are just press conference retweet automatons.

If basketball were nearly as popular as football this guy would get his own thread on this page. 

I have to admit, his takes at this point are hilarious to me. It’s all so predictable. How in the world does he claim any more to be a Texas fan? He’ll be grinding his teeth with every Longhorn win in the tournament. 

I used to wonder why people even bothered citing him, but this is so rich I can’t get enough of it. 

First off he's wrong as Gerry already pointed out. Donewald is on staff and this has been in the works for some time. 

It's also funny that he thinks this will have some detrimental impact on recruiting. The women's basketball team has been searching for 2 assistants going on 3 months and they just landed the best transfer class in the entire nation. This speaks to hookem's point about Beard doing a lot of heavy lifting in recruiting. If your head coach can recruit it likely goes a long ways. 

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

First off he's wrong….

Could’ve just left it here. He has such an obvious ax to grind with Beard. It’s a bizarre compulsion at this point. He just absolutely loathes everything about Beard. I find it comical. If Beard ever wins a national championship at Texas he may just have an aneurysm. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

If basketball were nearly as popular as football this guy would get his own thread on this page. 

He would but there's nothing interesting about BWG. He simply hates Beard and will twist his narrative whichever way it makes Beard look bad. 

Those tweets above are exactly what you would expect. "Oh boy Beard loses an assistant in August right in the middle of an important recruiting period" with zero perspective on the fact this has been in the works for months. 

I don't find him interesting at all because you know exactly what is coming every time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

This is a big weekend for basketball recruiting. I almost wish they'd been able to take recruits to Wednesday nights volleyball game. The team seemed to have a great time there, and the atmosphere was electric. 

Holland is arguably the most important recruit. From what I know, Arkansas is the biggest competitor right now (he has a former teammate there right now), but it's always scary when Kentucky is involved. From a personal perspective I'll be less torn apart if we lose Holland versus Wesley Yates, but that's just because so much is going in our direction with Yates. 

This guy is a defense first type of player (with PLENTY of offensive skills), which makes him ideal for Beard and Texas. Just another potential cog in Beard's ideal positionless team. At 6-8 he really can defend positions 1-5 against most basketball teams. Another guy who can leap out of the gym a la Dillon Mitchell, and a definite one and done type candidate.

• Hook 'Em 3