Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

15 hours ago, Goodman said:

Good luck keeping up with Hakeem's family tree. He is a legend on & off the court.

He has two sons.  Both names Abdullah. The younger one is Abdullah Aziz and goes by Aziz.  Aziz is on varsity as a freshman. Clements lacks depth in most sports but I have heard he is really good 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/24/2022 at 9:32 AM, Goodman said:

Every November my kids hear me talk about TJ’s crew terrorizing Houston, I’ve never witnessed anything like that traveling circus for hs basketball in TX. TJ with the ball in his hands was must watch.

I went to probably 40+ of his games around town and at state. I went to about 20 games of Vince Young. They completely spoiled me in both sports. Although, to be fair, Vince made a huge leap from his junior to his senior year after going to Steve McNair's academy over the summer. TJ was a beast the entire time, with the teammates to match. Vince? Not so much. 

I'll always maintain TJ could have been another Allen Iverson type if he hadn't had the neck issue. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

Texas moved on from him according to Gerry.

Wow. That’s incredibly disappointing to me. 

Thank you for sharing, though. 

I really like Elmarko Jackson. It’s only based on clips but I liked him when we offered when he was barely a top 100 kid. He’s been a fast riser over the summer. 

I’m glad I’m getting some forewarning on Yates. I’m really bummed about that one. 

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Wow. That’s incredibly disappointing to me. 

Thank you for sharing, though. 

I really like Elmarko Jackson. It’s only based on clips but I liked him when we offered when he was barely a top 100 kid. He’s been a fast riser over the summer. 

I’m glad I’m getting some forewarning on Yates. I’m really bummed about that one. 

43 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Are you serious?? He was just there a few weeks ago

Washington and LSU are his 2 finalist. 

From Gerry:

Spoiler

They are waiting on AJ and Andrej. And are bringing in Elmarko this weekend.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Thanks for these, Pancho. Gerry’s the best. I’m glad he covers the team. 

Something must have happened. 

Yates went from a top 9 including Texas, Auburn, Arkansas, Baylor, Gonzaga, and Houston to now LSU and Washington. Wasn't this at one time considered an in-state school battle between Texas, Houston, and Baylor? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

Hopefully they get them cause you don’t want to past up on a Top player for other top players and miss out on all of them 

Well, they did the same thing with Keyonte George for Cason Wallace last year, and then missed out on Wallace. But they added Hunter out of the portal, along with Rice and Brumbaugh. 

It's obvious Beard doesn't operate from a place of fear. I'm not saying you're wrong. But Beard isn't thinking about fallbacks. He's thinking about his top targets and he's convinced he's going to get them.

There's a certain relentlessness about Beard. He's always going to expect the best outcome in some regard. And because those are his expectations, he communicates those expectations to everyone around him, people tend to rise up to meet those expectations. It doesn't mean it's always going to work out for him. I've seen people like that where they lose the people around them because of repeated failures to meet expectations. But when you combine belief with results, I've also seen some amazing transformations in organizations. I've been a part of a few. 

As a fan that's what I'm hoping for. He had good results at Texas Tech. Heck, he's had good results everywhere he's been. Here's hoping he does something similar and then makes it a rest of his life type of project. 

All that said, I was looking forward to rooting on Yates. It's not going to work out, and that's that. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Well, they did the same thing with Keyonte George for Cason Wallace last year, and then missed out on Wallace. But they added Hunter out of the portal, along with Rice and Brumbaugh. 

It's obvious Beard doesn't operate from a place of fear. I'm not saying you're wrong. But Beard isn't thinking about fallbacks. He's thinking about his top targets and he's convinced he's going to get them.

There's a certain relentlessness about Beard. He's always going to expect the best outcome in some regard. And because those are his expectations, he communicates those expectations to everyone around him, people tend to rise up to meet those expectations. It doesn't mean it's always going to work out for him. I've seen people like that where they lose the people around them because of repeated failures to meet expectations. But when you combine belief with results, I've also seen some amazing transformations in organizations. I've been a part of a few. 

As a fan that's what I'm hoping for. He had good results at Texas Tech. Heck, he's had good results everywhere he's been. Here's hoping he does something similar and then makes it a rest of his life type of project. 

All that said, I was looking forward to rooting on Yates. It's not going to work out, and that's that. 

As long as he doesn't throw chairs or choke players, I appreciate the intensity he brings that he observed under Bob Knight.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Beard doesn't want to sign 3 HS guards in the same class and there are 3 that were higher on the board and just as likely to be signing with Texas, if not more likely. I'm not saying he'll get the 2 he absolutely wants, but he's basically Tim Brewster on the recruiting front and thinks he's getting everybody. 

Texas basketball has major NIL support for suiting both transfers and guys coming from HS, so I expect continued amazing shit from Beard. Frankly, NIL is better set up right now for Texas MBB than any other sport on campus due to roster size and some major money guys really digging basketball. 

BB probably makes more sense. BB players are more recognizable because there are fewer of them and they don't wear helmets. The hit rate on high school basketball stars is much higher than for football stars. And there are fewer basketball players to support. Interestingly, many years ago, I spoke with a huge Tulane supporter. They basically felt like they should give up on football for the reasons above and focus solely on basketball. Now, they suck at both but that is a story for another time.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

BB probably makes more sense. BB players are more recognizable because there are fewer of them and they don't wear helmets. The hit rate on high school basketball stars is much higher than for football stars. And there are fewer basketball players to support. Interestingly, many years ago, I spoke with a huge Tulane supporter. They basically felt like they should give up on football for the reasons above and focus solely on basketball. Now, they suck at both but that is a story for another time.

Tulane football actually looks pretty decent at the moment. 4-1 and beat Kansas State.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Beard doesn't want to sign 3 HS guards in the same class and there are 3 that were higher on the board and just as likely to be signing with Texas, if not more likely. I'm not saying he'll get the 2 he absolutely wants, but he's basically Tim Brewster on the recruiting front and thinks he's getting everybody. 

Texas basketball has major NIL support for suiting both transfers and guys coming from HS, so I expect continued amazing shit from Beard. Frankly, NIL is better set up right now for Texas MBB than any other sport on campus due to roster size and some major money guys really digging basketball. 

You know way better than I do. I'm just guessing. I'm very appreciative of the work you and others have done on the NIL front. It doesn't happen automagically. 

The only thing missing from Beard's sales pitch is NBA success. He's using Durant and Shaka Smart's guys as evidence that Texas produces NBA talent. It will be more compelling once he's able to use his guys at Texas. Which I feel strongly is coming. Soon. 

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

You know way better than I do. I'm just guessing. I'm very appreciative of the work you and others have done on the NIL front. It doesn't happen automagically. 

The only thing missing from Beard's sales pitch is NBA success. He's using Durant and Shaka Smart's guys as evidence that Texas produces NBA talent. It will be more compelling once he's able to use his guys at Texas. Which I feel strongly is coming. Soon. 

Has to be the hope. Especially from the HS level

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

I don’t think we were ever really in that one.

That's not true. We offered him early in the summer when he was still around #100 in the country. We got him in for an official visit. 

But KU has a pretty good sales pitch to make right now. They offered around the same time. I feel like we were in it, but just weren't able to close it. 

Once Beard gets some deep runs and sends some guys to the NBA from Texas, we'll be right there in these recruitments. 

I really liked this kid, too, based on the highlight clips I watched back in June. I was really excited Texas got on him before he completely blew up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Walte464 said:

We’ll shit, didn’t know it was that secretive of a society that people not know.

They don’t really put it out there. I know a few of them from over the years and not that I would ever ask but I think they are probably fine being somewhat behind the scenes.

14 minutes ago, Walte464 said:

We’ll shit, didn’t know it was that secretive of a society that people not know.

2 minutes ago, justhookit said:

They don’t really put it out there. I know a few of them from over the years and not that I would ever ask but I think they are probably fine being somewhat behind the scenes.

We’re going to see different versions of NIL over time. At this point for basketball, the folks that aren’t corporate NIL want to a part of the team in some form but do not want to be a part of the public realm.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Beard will get his, just like he did last year. He has a lot to sell, and he sure as fuck isn't Shaka. In year 1 we at least made it to the second round of the tourney with mercenaries. Those same guys s are coming (minus a few) and we got an upgrade with a 5* transfer. We're in good hands, people just need to be patient. 

It doesn't matter who is contributing to the basketball NIL, just that it's happening and we'll get out fair share of 5* and 4* kids that will not all bolt to the NBA after 1 year. Building takes time.