Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Gerry Hamilton said it's likely down to a Stanford-Texas race and that Stojakovic prefers Austin as a city. Interestingly, he brought up the fact that the Stojakovic family has a daughter in high school who might become a sought after volleyball recruit and that likely delays the family's relocation back to Europe. Maybe the volleyball sister helps with the basketball son's recruitment? 

Mila Stojakovic is nowhere remotely close to being good enough for either Stanford or Texas. She could walk on and be practice fodder for four years, but that's about it. She's ranked outside the top 50 in the state of California by one service and #48 in the state by another in the class of 2024. Volleyball is not a sport where there's a lot of movement at that point in a player's development.

She's a 6' outside hitter, which is on the smallish side for Texas, although Stanford has a true freshman OH in Elia Rubin who is a stud at 6'1. But Rubin was also one of the most highly rated OHes in the country in her class. In any case, Mila Stojakovic's volleyball destination - and the relative merits of Stanford and UT volleyball (Texas, Stanford, and Nebraska are the 3 true recruiting powerhouses in the sport) - is a non factor here.

This is about being close to home, in state, and the perceived benefit of a Stanford degree (from a player who has no chance of being there 4 years) and the connections made in Palo Alto, versus actually playing on a nationally competitive basketball team on a campus that supports their basketball program at the highest level. My bet is he ends up at Texas. It's not like a degree at Texas is dogshit, or there aren't any connections that can be made here. You're just fighting upstream against the Stanford perception, especially for a Mom and family based in Sacramento. UT is simply not going to be on their radar in the way it would be for an instate family. 

This kid was 100% going to UCLA at one time. It's extremely impressive Texas fought to get in on this recruitment, and have done as well as they have, regardless of where he ends up going. 

24 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

SLX is a full service college sports fan. I wouldn't even begin to know where to go to get volleyball recruiting. 

It's a new fangled service called google. I typed Stojakovic high school volleyball, found out her first name is Mila and she's in the 2024 class. I then typed in Mila Stojakovic volleyball ranking 2024. That pulled up PrepDigs and MaxPrep. She's listed outside the top 50 in California for PrepDigs and at #48 for MaxPrep.

Oooooooooor...I'm a fucking wizard. Let's just go with I'm a fucking wizard. 

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

It's a new fangled service called google. I typed Stojakovic high school volleyball, found out her first name is Mila and she's in the 2024 class. I then typed in Mila Stojakovic volleyball ranking 2024. That pulled up PrepDigs and MaxPrep. She's listed outside the top 50 in California for PrepDigs and at #48 for MaxPrep.

Gerry says she's the reason the family is staying in the states longer. Has d1 potential....be interesting to see if texas goes for her.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry says she's the reason the family is staying in the states longer. Has d1 potential....be interesting to see if texas goes for her.

There is zero chance. She's not good enough. Like I said, she can walk on and be practice fodder if that's what she wants.

Texas only brings in the elite of the elite at outside hitter. There's a 5'11 girl, Melanie Parra, who was a starter on the Mexican National team as a 16 year old who can't see the court. Victoria Pilar had a similar experience, and had to transfer to Arkansas to see playing time (where she was a stud). Texas has a current freshman walk on, a Fort Worth girl by the name of McKenna Miller, who was way more highly ranked coming out of high school. She will never play regularly for Texas.

If you're outside of the national top 30 as an OH you're not going to be competitive for playing time at Texas. And even that is a stretch. Frankly, Stanford is the same way. Stanford, Texas, and Nebraska are the recruiting superpowers of volleyball. And you can't just give her a scholarship, because there's not enough to go around as it is. I guess the basketball guys could chip in on the NIL front for her to cover her school expenses. But she's still not going to see the court. I mean ever. 

There's the new beach volleyball program, but the head coach who would recruit her hasn't even been hired, much less how good she'd be in beach or how much interest she'd have. 

All I'm saying is it would have to be a very untraditional path for her. Same with Stanford. People are idly speculating about it, and there's nothing wrong with that. But the idle speculation is out of complete ignorance. If she plays Div I volleyball it will be for someone other than Stanford or Texas. UC-Berkley is a burning pile of shit of a program. She can probably play there. 

• Hook 'Em 7

45 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

You added a bit more color on the national high school volleyball scene than simple rankings in that post. 

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Mila Stojakovic is nowhere remotely close to being good enough for either Stanford or Texas. She could walk on and be practice fodder for four years, but that's about it. She's ranked outside the top 50 in the state of California by one service and #48 in the state by another in the class of 2024. Volleyball is not a sport where there's a lot of movement at that point in a player's development.

She's a 6' outside hitter, which is on the smallish side for Texas, although Stanford has a true freshman OH in Elia Rubin who is a stud at 6'1. But Rubin was also one of the most highly rated OHes in the country in her class. In any case, Mila Stojakovic's volleyball destination - and the relative merits of Stanford and UT volleyball (Texas, Stanford, and Nebraska are the 3 true recruiting powerhouses in the sport) - is a non factor here.

This is about being close to home, in state, and the perceived benefit of a Stanford degree (from a player who has no chance of being there 4 years) and the connections made in Palo Alto, versus actually playing on a nationally competitive basketball team on a campus that supports their basketball program at the highest level. My bet is he ends up at Texas. It's not like a degree at Texas is dogshit, or there aren't any connections that can be made here. You're just fighting upstream against the Stanford perception, especially for a Mom and family based in Sacramento. UT is simply not going to be on their radar in the way it would be for an instate family. 

This kid was 100% going to UCLA at one time. It's extremely impressive Texas fought to get in on this recruitment, and have done as well as they have, regardless of where he ends up going. 

I'd add Penn State to the power as well. They recruit just as well as anybody in the country and they have a really good program 

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'd add Penn State to the power as well. They recruit just as well as anybody in the country and they have a really good program 

No, that's not true.

They lost their long time coach, who retired last year. Russ Rose was considered the John Wooden of indoor volleyball. Even then his recruiting had fallen off, as had the program as a whole over the last few years. They're battling just to stay as the 5th best team in their conference these days. And not necessarily winning that battle. 

Even Stanford has had some issues the last couple of years, and their recruiting restrictions due to academics are absurd. If a top ranked kid is uncommitted heading into the late spring of their senior season, it's pretty much a given that they're going to Stanford. But they can't announce until they're approved for admission. 

Anyway, all the volleyball talk is to simply say volleyball is a non factor in Andrej Stojakovic's recruitment. His sister is never playing for either program. 

The reason Gerry brought it up is because his sister is a decent volleyball player who is in her junior year in high school. They're not moving anywhere until her high school career is done. Whatever school she plays volleyball for, it won't be Stanford or Texas.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

You added a bit more color on the national high school volleyball scene than simple rankings in that post. 

That's probably true. I added a bit more color to that response than was probably necessary, too. 

I'm just saying I had no idea what her ranking was, or where it might be listed necessarily. I just googled it to find out for my own curiosity. When I saw her ranking I laughed out loud. 

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

No, that's not true.

They lost their long time coach, who retired last year. Russ Rose was considered the John Wooden of indoor volleyball. Even then his recruiting had fallen off, as had the program as a whole over the last few years. They're battling just to stay as the 5th best team in their conference these days. And not necessarily winning that battle. 

Even Stanford has had some issues the last couple of years, and their recruiting restrictions due to academics are absurd. If a top ranked kid is uncommitted heading into the late spring of their senior season, it's pretty much a given that they're going to Stanford. But they can't announce until they're approved for admission. 

Anyway, all the volleyball talk is to simply say volleyball is a non factor in Andrej Stojakovic's recruitment. His sister is never playing for either program. 

The reason Gerry brought it up is because his sister is a decent volleyball player who is in her junior year in high school. They're not moving anywhere until her high school career is done. Whatever school she plays volleyball for, it won't be Stanford or Texas.

Ah, my bad. I didn't know they lost their coach. Appreciate you letting me know. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I wonder how this commitment will affect the freshman Ryan Argarwal who is out of Coppell. He was a top 100 recruit at one point in time, I think he finished in the 130s in last year's class. They are essentially the same player in terms of style, albeit Andrej is more talented and has a much higher profile than Argarwal. 

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Welp, it's better than being a Diving and Swimming school.

Is it though? Of the 20 sports Texas competes in, which ones has Texas not won a national title? 

I can count without researching basketball, women's soccer, softball. Beach Volleyball hasn't had a season yet, so I will leave that alone. I know Texas has won titles in Men's Golf, Women's Basketball, M Tennis, W Tennis, Football, Baseball, W Indoor Track, Rowing, Volleyball, Men's Swimming and Diving, Women's Swimming & Diving. I honestly don't know about the rest and don't have time to search.

That all considered, it's fucking absurd that Texas has only 2 final four appearances in basketball. Maybe let's get there again before we joke about the programs that have brought us more titles than all of the others combined, or nearly so.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is it though? Of the 20 sports Texas competes in, which ones has Texas not won a national title? 

I can count without researching basketball, women's soccer, softball. Beach Volleyball hasn't had a season yet, so I will leave that alone. I know Texas has won titles in Men's Golf, Women's Basketball, M Tennis, W Tennis, Football, Baseball, W Indoor Track, Rowing, Volleyball, Men's Swimming and Diving, Women's Swimming & Diving. I honestly don't know about the rest and don't have time to search.

That all considered, it's fucking absurd that Texas has only 2 final four appearances in basketball. Maybe let's get there again before we joke about the programs that have brought us more titles than all of the others combined, or nearly so.

You and I probably grew up Cougars fans. I would go to Fonde a little growing up as my brother went to school with Reid Gettys (who played for Houston). So we knew most of those guys like Alvin Franklin, Drexler, Olajuwon, Anderson, Davis, etc.