Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Is it though? Of the 20 sports Texas competes in, which ones has Texas not won a national title? 

I can count without researching basketball, women's soccer, softball. Beach Volleyball hasn't had a season yet, so I will leave that alone. I know Texas has won titles in Men's Golf, Women's Basketball, M Tennis, W Tennis, Football, Baseball, W Indoor Track, Rowing, Volleyball, Men's Swimming and Diving, Women's Swimming & Diving. I honestly don't know about the rest and don't have time to search.

That all considered, it's fucking absurd that Texas has only 2 final four appearances in basketball. Maybe let's get there again before we joke about the programs that have brought us more titles than all of the others combined, or nearly so.

https://texassports.com/sports/2013/7/29/GEN_0729130655.aspx

Spoiler

National Championships

The University of Texas has claimed 62 team championships (58 NCAA titles) dating back to 1949. View the complete list of National Championships by sport and year.

By team (62)

Baseball (6)
1949 Bibb Falk
1950 Bibb Falk
1975 Cliff Gustafson | Feature
1983 Cliff Gustafson* | Feature
2002 Augie Garrido* | Feature
2005 Augie Garrido* | Feature

Football (4)
1963 Darrell Royal* | Feature
1969 Darrell Royal* | Feature
1970 Darrell Royal* | Feature
2005 Mack Brown | Feature

Men's Golf (4)
1971 George Hannon* | Feature
1972 George Hannon* | Feature
2012 John Fields* | Feature
2022 John Fields | Feature

Men's Indoor Track and Field (1)
2022 Edrick Floréal

Men's Swimming and Diving (15)
1981 Eddie Reese* | Feature
1988 Eddie Reese* | Feature
1989 Eddie Reese* | Feature
1990 Eddie Reese* | Feature
1991 Eddie Reese
1996 Eddie Reese*
2000 Eddie Reese* | Feature
2001 Eddie Reese*
2002 Eddie Reese | Feature
2010 Eddie Reese
2015 Eddie Reese
2016 Eddie Reese
2017 Eddie Reese
2018 Eddie Reese
2021 Eddie Reese*

Men's Tennis (1)
2019 Bruce Berque (interim)

Women's Basketball (1)
1986 Jody Conradt* | Feature

Women's Cross Country (1)
1986 Terry Crawford | Feature

Women's Swimming and Diving (9)
1981 Paul Bergen* (AIAW)
1982 Paul Bergen (AIAW)
1984 Richard Quick*
1985 Richard Quick*
1986 Richard Quick*
1987 Richard Quick | Feature
1988 Richard Quick | Feature
1990 Mark Schubert*
1991 Mark Schubert | Feature

Rowing (2)
2021 Dave O'Neill*
2022 | Dave O'Neill | Feature

Women's Tennis (4)
1993 Jeff Moore* | Feature
1995 Jeff Moore | Feature
2021 Howard Joffe*
2022 | Howard Joffe | Feature 

Women's Indoor Track and Field (6)
1988 Terry Crawford
1990 Terry Crawford
1998 Bev Kearney* | Feature
1999 Bev Kearney*
2006 Bev Kearney | Feature

Women's Outdoor Track and Field (5)
1982 Phil Delavan (AIAW)
1999 Bev Kearney*
2005 Bev Kearney

Volleyball (3)
1981 Mick Haley (AIAW) | Feature
1988 Mick Haley | Feature
2012 Jerritt Elliott* | Feature

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

https://texassports.com/sports/2013/7/29/GEN_0729130655.aspx

Hide contents

National Championships

The University of Texas has claimed 62 team championships (58 NCAA titles) dating back to 1949. View the complete list of National Championships by sport and year.

By team (62)

Baseball (6)
1949 Bibb Falk
1950 Bibb Falk
1975 Cliff Gustafson | Feature
1983 Cliff Gustafson* | Feature
2002 Augie Garrido* | Feature
2005 Augie Garrido* | Feature

Football (4)
1963 Darrell Royal* | Feature
1969 Darrell Royal* | Feature
1970 Darrell Royal* | Feature
2005 Mack Brown | Feature

Men's Golf (4)
1971 George Hannon* | Feature
1972 George Hannon* | Feature
2012 John Fields* | Feature
2022 John Fields | Feature

Men's Indoor Track and Field (1)
2022 Edrick Floréal

Men's Swimming and Diving (15)
1981 Eddie Reese* | Feature
1988 Eddie Reese* | Feature
1989 Eddie Reese* | Feature
1990 Eddie Reese* | Feature
1991 Eddie Reese
1996 Eddie Reese*
2000 Eddie Reese* | Feature
2001 Eddie Reese*
2002 Eddie Reese | Feature
2010 Eddie Reese
2015 Eddie Reese
2016 Eddie Reese
2017 Eddie Reese
2018 Eddie Reese
2021 Eddie Reese*

Men's Tennis (1)
2019 Bruce Berque (interim)

Women's Basketball (1)
1986 Jody Conradt* | Feature

Women's Cross Country (1)

Women's Swimming and Diving (9)
1981 Paul Bergen* (AIAW)
1982 Paul Bergen (AIAW)
1984 Richard Quick*
1985 Richard Quick*
1986 Richard Quick*
1987 Richard Quick | Feature
1988 Richard Quick | Feature
1990 Mark Schubert*
1991 Mark Schubert | Feature

Rowing (2)
2021 Dave O'Neill*
2022 | Dave O'Neill | Feature

Women's Tennis (4)
1993 Jeff Moore* | Feature
1995 Jeff Moore | Feature
2021 Howard Joffe*
2022 | Howard Joffe | Feature 

Women's Indoor Track and Field (6)
1988 Terry Crawford
1990 Terry Crawford
1999 Bev Kearney*
2006 Bev Kearney | Feature

Women's Outdoor Track and Field (5)
1982 Phil Delavan (AIAW)
1999 Bev Kearney*
2005 Bev Kearney

Volleyball (3)
1981 Mick Haley (AIAW) | Feature
1988 Mick Haley | Feature
2012 Jerritt Elliott* | Feature

So that leaves 7 teams that have never won a championship:

• Men's Basketball
  • Soccer
  • Softball
  • Beach Volleyball
  • Men's Outdoor Track and Field
  • Women's Golf
  • Men's Cross Country

12 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Is it though? Of the 20 sports Texas competes in, which ones has Texas not won a national title? 

I can count without researching basketball, women's soccer, softball. Beach Volleyball hasn't had a season yet, so I will leave that alone. I know Texas has won titles in Men's Golf, Women's Basketball, M Tennis, W Tennis, Football, Baseball, W Indoor Track, Rowing, Volleyball, Men's Swimming and Diving, Women's Swimming & Diving. I honestly don't know about the rest and don't have time to search.

That all considered, it's fucking absurd that Texas has only 2 final four appearances in basketball. Maybe let's get there again before we joke about the programs that have brought us more titles than all of the others combined, or nearly so.

That had a lot more to do with how high school basketball was handled in this state for years up until the late 80s and/or early 90s. For the longest time the state had little to no AAU infrastructure due to arcane rules the U.I.L. placed on high school athletes attending summer camps (ie participating in AAU). Therefore Texas high school bball talent was isolated from the rest of nation and didn't have access to the same level of development as what was seen around the rest of nation. Due to Fonde and the pro am talent it brought to area, Houston area high school basketball managed to get some level of development throughout the 70s and 80s, but it couldn't support the entire state. There's a reason we only really started to see an explosion in Texas high school basketball talent around the turn of the millennium. It took a full decade to bring the state's AAU basketball infrastructure to a level that was competitive across all grade levels. In just the last 3 Final 4s the state has seen 3 different schools participate. Over the next decade or 2 we're going to routinely see multiple D1 schools in the state not only have multiple appearances in the Final 4, but win championships as well. And I have no doubt UT will play a major part in all of that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

That had a lot more to do with how high school basketball was handled in this state for years up until the late 80s and/or early 90s. For the longest time the state had little to no AAU infrastructure due to arcane rules the U.I.L. placed on high school athletes attending summer camps (ie participating in AAU). Therefore Texas high school bball talent was isolated from the rest of nation and didn't have access to the same level of development as what was seen around the rest of nation. Due to Fonde and the pro am talent it brought to area, Houston area high school basketball managed to get some level of development throughout the 70s and 80s, but it couldn't support the entire state. There's a reason we only really started to see an explosion in Texas high school basketball talent around the turn of the millennium. It took a full decade to bring the state's AAU basketball infrastructure to a level that was competitive across all grade levels. In just the last 3 Final 4s the state has seen 3 different schools participate. Over the next decade or 2 we're going to routinely see multiple D1 schools in the state not only have multiple appearances in the Final 4, but win championships as well. And I have no doubt UT will play a major part in all of that.

caddy, you nailed it and thanks for mentioning Fonde. I would go there but only to watch and learn. You had pros, UH kids and high school kids there playing every day in the summer. Most high school bball coaches were just coaches who didn't coach football. The UIL sucked big time.

One other comment, back in those days there was only minimal support from the AD for hoops. Our coaches basically ran the program on crumbs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I wasn’t dogging on UT basketball. I know the “why” part of its weaker performance than what we would otherwise expect from one of the school’s main programs. And I love watching the current guys play.  I was mocking the notion that we should be scoffing at one of the greatest athletic empire in college sports history with regard to S&D. 

54 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Johnson was the kid that just wanted to see proof we were actually going to play at a faster pace right? I'd say we've safely accomplished that so far putting Zaga and everyone else to the fucking sword. 

Nope, that was Holland.

Johnson is the "brother" of Houston Rocket Jalen Green.

Gerry put in an RPM for Johnson to Texas this morning, 75%. Gerry also reported last night that Johnson likely signed at the end of the early signing period.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Nope, that was Holland.

Johnson is the "brother" of Houston Rocket Jalen Green.

Gerry put in an RPM for Johnson to Texas this morning, 75%. Gerry also reported last night that Johnson likely signed at the end of the early signing period.

Just to clarify "brother" - they are not related. AJ Johnson says Jalen Green is like a brother to him.

Rockets Star Jalen Green Joins 'Little Brother' on Longhorns Recruiting Visit

Green skipped the collegiate route to play for the G League Ignite, but he recently got to see what the recruiting process would've been like.

Houston Rockets star Jalen Green made a trip to Austin this weekend to support class of 2023 guard and Donda Academy product, AJ Johnson. 

Johnson, a five-star recruit and the third-ranked guard in California per rankings from 247Sports, was on his official visit to the University of Texas this weekend. Green accompanied Johnson, while the two took a tour of what the Texas Longhorns and coach Chris Beard have to offer. 

Johnson considers Green, who was the second overall pick in the 2021 NBA Draft, to be an older brother, though the two are not related.

In addition to Texas, Johnson has received interest from other programs like Kansas, UCLA, Creighton, N.C State, USC, LSU, and more.

Johnson wasn't the only one to bring NBA talent with him on his visit. Andrej Stojaković, a 2023 forward from Jesuit High School arrived in Austin on Friday and was joined by his father and former NBA player, Peja Stojaković, who was one of the league's best 3-point shooters during his 13 years in the league.

Should Johnson choose Texas, Green will only be a three-hour drive away from watching his "little brother" in action in the Big 12, one of college basketball's most competitive conferences. 

Edited by Bevo

11 minutes ago, Vertuzzi said:

That’s a coach on the court right there. A real “brings his lunch pail to the gym” type of guy. First guy in, last guy to leave.  Hell of a passer too. 

Heck he cleans the gym and locker room before practices, and does the laundry after practices...

I assume that Carr, Allen, Rice, and Bishop are all done with eligibility after this season. And then you have the possibility of Mitchell and/or Morris blowing up and entering the draft. I'm guessing that Disu could have another year if he wants it. So presumably we should have somewhere between 4-6 spots  open on next years squad? 

On 11/18/2022 at 9:38 PM, HtownHorn said:

Texas missed on Stojakovic and Lath

Saw a comment from Gerry on Lath - Texas supposedly wanted him if he could enroll in the spring, but he was not able to finesse his hs credits enough to make that happen and Texas moved on. Seems silly for a 3-4 year program guy, but that was the reasoning given.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 12:04 PM, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

Track / field and cross country surprises me

It's very rare for schools in non-mountainous or cool climates to compete for a championship in XC. Arkansas is the only major exception and that was back in the 80s/90s. We'd need to allow our team to train with UTEP and attend classes remotely to stand a chance.

• Hook 'Em 1