Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

IT hoops: Recruiting notes from GASO #ownthestate

Spoiler

By: Justin Wells and Gerry Hamilton

First off, congrats to GASO for putting on an absolutely loaded event with the top prospects from D/FW, Houston and everywhere in the Lone Star State. Sam Lowe, Blue Zertuche, Ryan Massad and team are very good at what they do, and have built.

The basketball talent level in this state is on a truly elite level right now, especially in D/FW.

IT provides the latest from the star-studded event.

Keyonte George, iSchool Entrepreneurial (Lewisville, TX):
The 6’3.5 guard told IT Texas Tech was his leader until Chris Beard moved to Austin. One of the first kids Beard reached out to after his introductory presser.

UT and Tech are his tops schools, but every reason he named for liking Lubbock now resides in Austin.

He’s not interested in dropping a top schools list and would like to commit before the beginning of his senior year.

I’m not sure there was one kid I felt more strongly about where Texas stands. He connects with the Texas staff “almost daily.”

What does Texas have going for it? Relationships Chris Beard, Ulric Maligi and Jerrance Howard.

George has been on campus at Texas twice before, and Texas Tech once.

George is a prospect that has been on the radar since he was very young, and is very good friends with Anthony Black. George is also close with Arterio Morris.

Arterio Morris, Dallas Kimball (2022):
Off the charts athleticism, play-making ability. The 6-foot-3 Morris should be first round pick one day. . Texas, Kansas, Texas Tech, UCLA, Alabama, and LSU are recruiting him the hardest right now.

UT’s message is clear; be yourself and nobody in the state can beat you. The former Memphis commit does it all on the floor and brings a sly confidence and smile to his game.

He wants to release a Top 5 list soon, and looking at a commitment timetable during his senior year. UT is a lock to make the list.

In speaking with a source very close to Morris, IT felt like Texas was the team to beat right now. Similar to George, the relationship are locked in with Beard, Maligi and Howard all having been recruiting Morris for over a year.

Cason Wallace, Richardson High (2022):
Along with George and Morris, Texas is prioritizing the 6-foot-3 combo guard with improved perimeter shooting over the last year.

In speaking with Wallace, offensive style of play has Arkansas and Baylor standing out right now. IT was told that Wallace is a top priority at guard for Scott Drew.

Wallace has spoken with members of the new Texas staff, and the Longhorns know they have ground to make up in this recruitment.

The key for the Longhorns if they want to compete with Arkansas and Baylor in this one will be weaving through a difference in offensive style of play, while selling player development on both ends of the floor.

Wallace likes the toughness of Chris Beard’s teams, as Wallace plays both ends harder than any 2022 prospect in the state.

Bryce Griggs, Fort Bend Hightower (2022):
Griggs has become a big proponent of staying in-state. He sees the success of Baylor, Texas Tech, and Houston, and sees no reason to leave.

Texas is on him strong, but IT got the sense they’re a step behind Houston. The Cougars are making strong pushes in the Houston area right now, as they should while the iron is extremely hot.

Griggs trains with T.J. Ford two times per week.

He could be looking at a pledge after the summer.

Yohan Traore-Toti, Prolific Prep (2022);
The 6-foot-10, 220-pounder was the surprise of the day Saturday. The big man made a half dozen three’s, plays above the rim in the paint, can put the ball on the floor and can hold position in the paint defensively.

Amazingly enough, this kid has zero offers. Arizona and UCLA could offer soon.

Received a text this morning from a source at the event that Texas has already reached out to the ultra talented prospect.

Traore-Toti's family has relocated to the Mansfield area, so don't be surprised if the soon to be nationally recruited prospect doesn't play in the Lone Star State as a senior.

Vince Iwuchukwu, La Luimere School (San Antonio, TX):
The 7-footer was clearly the was most underrated kid nationally at the event. Baylor head coach Scott Drew has a long-standing built in relationship with Iwuchukwu’s father.

This is a prospect Texas still has to make an effort on. Just not many 6-11/7-0 prospects with this level of athleticism, understanding and offensive skill. Vince should be a lottery pick one day if he keeps on the path Saturday suggests he’s on.

KJ Lewis, El Paso Chapin (2023):
Top sophomore on the floor on Saturday. All the upside you want in a big, playmaking guard. At 6’5, he can shoot, handle the ball, and make plays on both ends. New Texas assistant Rodney Terry was his first offer, at UTEP, and has recently reached out to the West Texas product.

Texas looks fantastic here and I could see an offer very soon.

Don’t be surprised if the family moves to Metroplex this summer, and Lewis attends a powerhouse program in D/FW as a junior.

Terrance Arceneaux, Beaumont United (2022):
Mr. Big Shot. If he’s not hitting a triple to send the state championship into overtime, he’s making the three-pointer to win state. If not on offense, he seemingly always makes a key block or play on defense.

He’s a small forward that does a little of everything. He competes on both ends of the floor at a high level.

Houston is trying to get the 6-foot-6 forward committed right now, as they should be. Baylor has begun recruiting the next Golden Triangle national hoops recruit.

Texas is expected to turn the heat up on Arceneaux this week. Rodney Terry will likely lead the recruitment for the Horns. An offer will need to happen relatively quickly to keep Houston from closing it out. Arceneaux trains with former Longhorns star guard B.J. Tyler, who played at Port Arthur Lincoln and was a college friend of Chris Beard at Texas.

Anthony Black, Coppell (2022):
The near 6-foot-7 guard continues to have Texas at the top of a list that includes Baylor, Illinois and others.

Texas is in contact with Black, and Black intends to make visits to Texas and Baylor when the dead period is lifted. Black’s father played at Baylor, and his voice will be the strongest in this recruitment at the end of the day. His mother played soccer at Texas and Baylor.

Colin Smith, St. Mark’s (Dallas) (2022):
Texas assistant Jerrance Howard has reached out recently to let Smith know Texas is interested. Stanford and Michigan are in contact regularly, among many others. Smith’s mom went to Texas, his sister plays volleyball at Stanford, and former TCU forward Kurt Thomas is a cousin.

• Hook 'Em 2

(Nick Harris) GASO Own The State Tournament Recap

Spoiler

DUNCANVILLE, Texas — It was a busy few days in Duncanville this weekend with exceptional talent on display at the "Own The State" tournament put on by the Great American Shootout sanction. 32 of Texas' best AAU programs flooded into the Duncanville Fieldhouse and Duncanville High School to compete in a single-elimination tournament that produced heated competition and proved which players have made the next step since last summer.

Multiple Texas targets were in action including Keyonte George, Zuby Ejiofor, Austin Nunez, Arterio Morris, Rylan Griffen, Anthony Black and Cason Wallace among others. In the top division, Southern Assault powered into the Championship game behind a huge performance from Keyonte George as he scored two of his 41 points right before the buzzer on a driving layup to take down the Cason Wallace-led Pro Skills squad by one point. On the other side of the bracket, Drive Nation led by TJ Caldwell, Jordan Walsh, Rylan Griffen and Trae Clayton took down the Zuby Ejiofor-led Beast Up team in a commanding semifinal win.

In the Championship between Southern Assault and Drive Nation, neither team could separate from the other as 2022 guard Quion Williams battled with the star-power of Drive Nation for much of the game with Keyonte George also coming up with big buckets when it mattered. In the final two minutes, Williams and his Southern Assault team stepped on the gas to pull away with the 76-71 victory to claim the title.

In addressing other top performers throughout the weekend, Zuby Ejiofor was huge for a Beast Up team that was not expected to make as deep of a run as they did. They came into the weekend with a chip on their shoulder after being ranked as the No. 7 team in the DFW Metroplex. But after a top four performance with some of the state's best teams in attendance, expect that ranking to shoot up. Compared to when I saw Ejiofor during his junior season at Garland, he has put on a ton of healthy muscle and is using it to perfection in the paint. If I had to pinpoint who the most physical player was all weekend, it would easily be Ejiofor. He made big play after big play in their Elite Eight matchup against JL3 Elite to power Beast Up to a 14-point win. Point guard Austin Begnini was also really impressive for Beast Up this weekend as he did a phenomenal job facilitating the rock and finishing inside.

Speaking of JL3 Elite, they were easily the most star-studded group this weekend as Vince Iwuchukwu, Austin Nunez, Terrance Arceneaux and Bryce Griggs all started for the Houston-based squad. While the star-power was in full effect, the JL3 squad hasn't quite put it together yet, resulting in a sixth-place finish. However, when they do, it'll be a scary sight. Bryce Griggs and Terrance Arceneaux were specifically fun to watch this weekend as they both were key players in big wins throughout the weekend. Austin Nunez showed on multiple occasions that he can finish at the rim with some of the best inside defenders. If he gets in the paint, more often than not it'll result in two points. Once he can fine-tune his shot on a more consistent basis, he will be one of the best scorers in his entire class.

For Dallas Showtyme, Arterio Morris put on multiple shows for the fans and analysts in attendance as he continues to prove why he's one of the best guards in the country at this point in the game. His ball-handling and spot-up shooting ability is at an elite level, and if he decides to go the college route, he's a type of game-changing guard that can lead a team deep into the NCAA Tournament in year one.

For Empire, Anthony Black was once again one of the best defenders all weekend. His ability to step into passing lanes and make offenses uncomfortable is truly a game changer, and when he can compliment it with his offensive ability, he's the best player on the court. Stanford commit Ryan Agarwal just keeps getting better and is one of the best three-level scorers you will find in the high school game. His defensive abilities are also steadily improving as his combination of quickness and size can give him the ability to cover 1-4 and the occasional 5. Standing at just 5-foot-9, 2022 guard Devank Rane for Empire was one of the best sharpshooting weapons for any team all weekend. You give him just the slightest bit of space and his quick shot release is throwing up a shot. In the first half of Empire's Elite Eight matchup against Drive Nation, Rane knocked down two quick big threes that gave them a nine-point advantage at the break.

My tournament MVP has to go to Keyonte George as he dominated competition all weekend and was a huge reason why Southern Assault even made it to the Championship game. His scoring ability was on display all weekend as he is one of the most comfortable shooters you will find in the country. He rarely forces the issue and takes what the defense gives him, whether it be him taking it into his own hands or putting it in the hands of one of his teammates. Despite his performance in the title game not being his best all weekend, he still made key buckets when it mattered and was all over the floor facilitating and coming up with loose balls. In the final, he finished with 13 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists.

I also have to tip my cap to Jordan Walsh who was a big reason why Drive Nation made it as far as they did. He has really figured out how to use his length to his advantage while making smart decisions on the court. Even his shot from outside is starting to really improve as he is starting to become much more comfortable with the ball in his hands. His strengths though hone inside the paint as he wreaks havoc on the boards and is hard to stop with a full head of steam coming down the lane.

Note: All-Tournament Teams only include 2022 prospects. Performances in later rounds are weighted.

FIRST TEAM

Keyonte George - Southern Assault

Cason Wallace - ProSkills

Arterio Morris - Dallas Showtyme

Zuby Ejiofor - Beast Up

Jordan Walsh - Drive Nation

SECOND TEAM

Bryce Griggs - JL3 Elite

TJ Caldwell - Drive Nation

Colby Henderson - ProSkills

Ryan Agarwal - Empire

Quion Williams - Southern Assault

THIRD TEAM

Anthony Black - Empire

Austin Benigni - Beast Up

Rylan Griffen - Drive Nation

Terrance Arceneaux - JL3 Elite

Colin Smith - Southern Assault

Honorable Mentions: Vince Iwuchukwu (JL3 Elite) Austin Nunez (JL3 Elite), Avery Jackson (Texas Dynasty), Devank Rane (Empire), Chauncey Gibson (Dallas Showtyme), Mason Jones (Dallas Showtyme), Cruz Davis (ProSkills)

4 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

My bad - quoted the wrong post.  Meant 0:54 of this video.

Yeah that move had me asking who the hell is this dude and what schools are recruiting him the first time I saw it. Going into last season I hadn't heard much about him. Keyonte George, Cason Wallace, Bryce Griggs, and Rylan Griffen were getting all the hype. Morris was in virtual anonymity compared to those guys. 

The 3 guards I want to see most on the 40 in this upcoming class are of course the aforementioned Arterio Morris who I just can't hype enough, next Cason Wallace then Keyonte George. George is so smooth and flawlessly skilled that it's completely understandable why he's considered the top ranked player in the state, but his lackadaisical disposition makes me question his competitiveness a little and how seriously he'd probably approach his only year in school. His demeanor on the court reminds me of Sheldon McClellan. Cason Wallace reminds me of Marcus Smart at Oklahoma St. He's hyper competitive on both ends of the court and has a calm and mature presence about himself. He's probably more skilled than Smart was as a high school junior, but I find that most of these high schoolers are a bit more polished than kids were just 10 years ago. For whatever reason it doesn't look like we have as good of a shot with Wallace as we do with the other 2, but the combination of Wallace and Morris in the backcourt would be a serious defensive problem for Big 12 back courts. That being said, give me Morris and either one of Wallace or George and I'll be absolutely thrilled.

Cason Wallace may end up at Baylor.  Drew has been on him the longest.  Similarly, Sampson and co have been all over Griggs.

I could see UT getting George, Morris, and Anthony Black.  George is apparently tight with Morris and Black.

Getting Wallace, George, and Morris would be the coup of coups.

1 hour ago, SizzleChest said:

Cason Wallace may end up at Baylor.  Drew has been on him the longest.  Similarly, Sampson and co have been all over Griggs.

I could see UT getting George, Morris, and Anthony Black.  George is apparently tight with Morris and Black.

Getting Wallace, George, and Morris would be the coup of coups.

With Shaka gone, are we no longer the leader for Austin Nunez? 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

@slorch@Doyle Hargreaves

What's going on with your boy Adams? Seems nobody wants to play for him. 

Ive enjoyed drinks with both Beard and Mark more than once. Known Mark and his brother (he passed in January) a long time. I actually wanted him to get the Tech job years ago. But did not work out. 

Since you asked. Your new recruit flipped from Tech to Texas given the coaching change. Adams could have held him to the NLI. But Adams does not regard these young men as chattel. (You can look that up on the google, sonny.) Adams released the kid so he can play for Texas. 

• Fuck You 7

4 hours ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

But Adams does not regard these young men as chattel. (You can look that up on the google, sonny.) Adams released the kid so he can play for Texas. 

You know this is a UT board, right? I used chattel in a Civil War paper that I wrote in high school. And funnily enough, the teacher put an "x" by it. To this day, I don't know why. Maybe, he thought I was being fustian. I know you come across as a choad. But I don't know if it was the word choice, your decision to point it our, or that you think it is some feat for Adams to release a kid from his NLI.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

You know this is a UT board, right? I used chattel in a Civil War paper that I wrote in high school. And funnily enough, the teacher put an "x" by it. To this day, I don't know why. Maybe, he thought I was being fustian. I know you come across as a choad. But I don't know if it was the word choice, your decision to point it our, or that you think it is some feat for Adams to release a kid from his NLI.

I remember when Fuckface Herman would use a normal word when talking to the press and then point it out as an amazing sign of intelligence to the reporters because he assumed the word wasn’t frequently in use. People with insecurities about their own intelligence and/or educational backgrounds always seem to be the type highlighting their own word use. 

After spending some time over the last two weeks being entertained by posts on Red Raider Insider, I’ve come to the conclusion that the highest concentration of this type of dumbass in the world exists on that site. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

Ive enjoyed drinks with both Beard and Mark more than once. Known Mark and his brother (he passed in January) a long time. I actually wanted him to get the Tech job years ago. But did not work out. 

Since you asked. Your new recruit flipped from Tech to Texas given the coaching change. Adams could have held him to the NLI. But Adams does not regard these young men as chattel. (You can look that up on the google, sonny.) Adams released the kid so he can play for Texas. 

College basketball coaches never hold players to their NLI when there's a coaching change, sonny 

• Hook 'Em 5

7 hours ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

Yes, credit to your buddy, Mark, for not treating a black man as a piece of property in the year 2021 and committing recruiting suicide by refusing to let a recruit out of his NLI when he would have just transferred out anyways. It was an extremely classy, selfless, and beguiling move that few other coaches would have the foresight to make.  (There may be some new words for you in this paragraph of which you may need to apprise yourself). 

I am continually amazed at the level of class your institution exhibits. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

Bell Jack GIF - Bell Jack Ring - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 2

IT

Spoiler

BASKETBALL

Texas could be informed of a decision from 2021 PG TyTy Washington (Compass Prep/Chandler, AZ) any day, or it could potentially take a couple of weeks. From what IT has gathered, UCLA has emerged as the main competition for the Longhorns. Oregon and Oklahoma State are still trying.

Updating the latest from the transfer portal, Northwestern SF Miller Kopp (6-7, 215) is drawing some interest from Texas. The former Houston Christian four-star recruit averaged double figures for Northwestern the last two seasons, which includes kicking down 99 three-pointers at around 37%.

Lamar University 6-10 big man David Muoka is another player in the portal Texas is showing interest in. The shot blocker and top defensive player in the Southland Conference is seen as a player that could play a key role defensively.

Texas remains in the mix with guard Devin Askew (Kentucky) and Tanner and Jacob Groves (Eastern Washington), as well as some others.

The Texas staff continues to work to get a feel for which players will return off the current roster with Brock Cunningham and Jase Febres expected back. Andrew Jones and Courtney Ramey are the most likely at this point to stay in Austin. Texas is still working on Jericho Sims and Matt Coleman. The feeling is Greg Brown will likely not return to Texas. This one has gone back and forth in recent days but will likely need one more swing.

(Nick Harris) Hardwood Nuggets: Finishing off the 2021 class; 2022 recruiting scoop from GASO Own The State

Spoiler

For the first time in what seems like almost a decade, the buzz around the Texas men's basketball program is extremely high as newly-hired head coach Chris Beard works in his first month on the job to salvage a Texas roster that is mostly unknown at this time.

As a result of Shaka Smart leaving Texas to take the Marquette job, two 2021 signees, IMG Academy (Fla.) four-star shooting guard Tamar Bates and Brookfield (Wis.) Central four-star power forward David Joplin, asked out of their National Letters of Intent to seek other options at the next level. Soon after Beard's hire, Plano (Texas) John Paul II four-star small forward Jaylon Tyson flipped his commitment from Texas Tech to Texas to boost Texas' 2021 rankings to No. 23 overall.

In 2022, the landscape has now vastly changed as some recruits that were once high on Texas may be seeking other options after Smart's departure and other targets are swinging back around to the idea of landing in Austin with Beard being the head coach.

With so much changing on the recruiting landscape and on the roster for the Texas men's basketball program, it's a fun time to follow the team as they prepare to head into their first summer under Chris Beard.

In this edition of Hardwood Nuggets, Horns247's gathering of hoops recruiting VIP intel, we will take a look at how Texas could finish off the 2021 class and look ahead to see who the Longhorns could be in play for in 2022 after a loaded competition weekend at GASO's "Own The State" tournament in Duncanville.

FINISHING OFF THE 2021 CLASS

Last Thursday, Jaylon Tyson became the highest-ranked recruit to commit to Texas in the 2021 class after asking out of his National Letter of Intent with Texas Tech. With spots up for grabs on the roster, the Texas staff is hoping that he won't be the only one to cement his spot with the Longhorns before National Signing Day on Wednesday.

The new Texas staff hasn't reached out to any new 2021 candidates in the time on the job, but the relationship that Chris Beard and Ulric Maligi had with Chandler (Ariz.) Compass Prep four-star point guard TyTy Washington while at Texas Tech has carried over to their current assignment in Austin. The staff has been in constant contact with Washington, but the Longhorns are thought of as a long-shot at this point in the race with Kansas leading the pack.

In looking at the two former Texas signees, Tamar Bates is not expected to consider the Longhorns moving forward as big name programs such as Kentucky, Illinois, Gonzaga, Missouri and others have already reached out to gauge interest. For Joplin, he remains interested in Texas, but with a lot of interest from local schools flooding his phone in recent days, I expect Joplin to stay close to home at either Minnesota or Marquette.

With National Signing Day on Wednesday, I don't expect Texas to make any last second additions to the class.

RECRUITING SCOOP FROM GASO OWN THE STATE

It was a busy weekend in Duncanville as 32 of Texas' best AAU programs flooded into the Duncanville Fieldhouse and Duncanville High School to compete in a bracket-style tournament put on by the Great American Shootout to prove who had the top squad in the Lone Star State. For more on the tournament itself, click here.

Multiple Texas targets were in attendance over the weekend as 12 of Texas' 22 offers in the 2022 class were in action. I caught up with the big names for this notes section:

- Lewisville (Texas) iSchool Entrepreneurial Academy five-star shooting guard Keyonte George was the best player all weekend in leading his Southern Assault team to a tournament championship. George currently holds one Crystal Ball Prediction in favor of him taking the professional route out of high school, but after multiple conversations with his family and close friends in recent weeks, George is planning on advancing his education and taking the college route. This obviously bodes well for Texas as he has strong relationships with both Chris Beard and Ulric Maligi. Texas will be a major contender in this recruitment moving forward with Kentucky, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech also involved.

- Prior to Shaka Smart departing Texas for Marquette, if you had asked me which recruit I feel most confident about ending up at Texas, I would have said four-star point guard Austin Nunez. However, now that Smart is no longer in the picture, Nunez is looking at his other two major contenders with Texas seemingly eliminated from the picture. Moving forward, Virginia and Arkansas will lead the pack in trying to secure his commitment, and based on his extended relationship with Virginia head coach Tony Bennett, I have entered a Crystal Ball Prediction in favor of the Cavaliers with a confidence level of 5. Arkansas remains a legit threat with Eric Musselman doing some heavy work on the talented lefty as I expect Nunez to visit both school before making a decision.

- Soon after Chris Beard was hired at Texas, I entered a Crystal Ball Prediction in favor of the Longhorns for Coppell (Texas) four-star combo guard Anthony Black. Prior to the coaching change, Black's top schools were Texas and Texas Tech, and now that those two have bridged with Chris Beard coming to Austin, all of the momentum is in the Longhorns' possession. Black wants to play point guard at the next level and Texas will give him the opportunity to do just that. This is a recruit that I could see making a visit in the summer and locking it down while in Austin as the NCAA dead period has also affected basketball recruits' ability to see campuses. Oklahoma State, Illinois, Texas Tech and Baylor also are garnering interest from Black.

- Fort Bend (Texas) Hightower four-star point guard Bryce Griggs is focusing a lot of his energy on in-state schools with Baylor, Texas and Houston leading the pack. With Baylor and Houston fresh off Final Four runs, Griggs definitely has his eye on taking visits to each of those schools, but Texas' new staff has him intrigued enough to where the Longhorns sit within striking distance. Griggs has a strong relationship with Ulric Maligi and is looking forward to talking more with Chris Beard in the coming weeks. Griggs is in no rush to make a decision so expect his visit season to create some separation between his main contenders.

- One of the best players all weekend was Garland (Texas) four-star power forward Zuby Ejiofor as he has really fine-tuned his skills inside the paint on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. In his recruitment, Texas was a major contender when Shaka Smart and Neill Berry were recruiting him. But now with Chris Beard taking over, his stance on Texas has basically reset. It is important to know that all of his interest has not been lost as he still views the Longhorns as a top program in the country and is excited for the opportunity to continue to be recruited by the new staff. With visits expected to open up this summer, TCU, Texas, Baylor, Stanford and Houston are all expected to host Ejiofor with a decision expected to come soon after his visit tour.

- Beaumont (Texas) United four-star small forward Terrance Arceneaux was one of the most impressive players in all of Texas during his junior season as he helped lead his United team to an undefeated campaign, capped off by a 5A State Championship over the Arterio Morris-led Dallas Kimball Knights. While he doesn't hold an offer from Texas, Arceneaux has been in heavy contact with both the previous staff and new staff as he sits on the verge of a real recruiting blowup this summer. Arceneaux expressed his excitement for a new staff in Austin and you can tell that the move made an impression on how he views the Longhorns moving forward. Chris Beard is one of his favorite head coaches in the game and he talks routinely with Ulric Maligi. If he keeps his hot streak going into the AAU season, I expect Texas to offer and immediately contend for his commitment. Houston will be another major contender in this recruitment.

- Dallas Kimball four-star point guard Arterio Morris is yet another guard that Texas has emerged as a legitimate contender for. Morris held Texas Tech in high regard prior to Chris Beard and Ulric Maligi bouncing out of town for Texas, and that still remains the case. While this is a more crowded recruitment than most of the other prospects in this report, Texas still holds a shot to make some serious noise with Morris. I expect Morris to visit Texas along with Texas Tech, Kansas, LSU and Memphis where he was previously committed under Penny Hardaway. G-League options are expected to be a threat in this recruitment as well.

QUICK HITTERS
- Crosby (Texas) three-star combo guard PJ Haggerty has a high stance on Texas and has been in contact with Chris Beard. Haggerty averaged a whopping 33.5 points per game for Crosby last season as he remains one of the top scorers in the state. LSU sits as the leader at this point with TCU also involved.

- La Porte (Ind.) La Lumiere School four-star center Vince Iwuchukwu remains a heavy Baylor lean, and after talking to him this weekend, I have no reason to move my Crystal Ball off of the Bears.

- Richardson (Texas) five-star combo guard Cason Wallace is one of the most sought-after recruits in the country and Texas will have some work to do to catch contenders such as Baylor, Kentucky and Arkansas.

- DeSoto (Texas) Faith Family Academy four-star small forward Jordan Walsh has a level of interest in Texas that will keep the Longhorns in the race as long as they push once they prioritize 2022 recruiting. I consider TCU to be the leader right now though with Arkansas close behind.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wells on KJ Lewis

Spoiler

SG/SF KJ Lewis, El Paso Chapin (2023):

If there's a player to watch in the 2023 cycle, it's the explosive scorer from West Texas who had the attention of everyone at the Great American Shootout in Duncanville on Saturday and Sunday.

The five-star .99 composite holds nine offers, including Kansas, UH, DePaul, and Texas A&M, but his first might've been his best. That was from UTEP and its former head coach Rodney Terry, currently on the new UT staff. What were his goals coming into the weekend tourney?

"Just to prove why I'm highly ranked in the 2023 class," said Lewis. "To prove I can play with the best players in the nation. And hopefully I can move up the rankings."

Lewis was tremendous scoring from each part of the floor, even more impressive on the defensive end, and has the ability to go coast-to-coast in a hurry. He still has aspects he'd like to improve on this offseason.

"My IQ for the game," said Lewis. "Improving my consistency with my shot and extending my range out a little farther. If I extend my range, it'll be harder to guard me."

He remarked he's up to 6-foot-5, 195 pounds, so he's fitting into that swing forward mold. New colleges are calling by the day, and handful are standing out.

"I have Texas, Arizona, Texas Tech, UCLA, Purdue, and Virginia Tech," Lewis said about schools showing the most interest. UT's new staff has a message for the dynamic playmaker, and a familiar face in the coaches office.

"I have a good relationship with Coach (Rodney) Terry because UTEP was my first offer," said Lewis. "Coach Terry telling me to keep my head straight and continue to work hard. They see me as a great fit for them in the future."

He's hoping to get on campus at some point this summer. Texas looks fantastic today.

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Definitely not ideal. I blame Shaka for not recruiting him back to Wisconsin. 

2 hours ago, Cashcar said:

Fucking Shaka...

2 hours ago, Dr. Teeth said:

At least if he destroys us, he can’t claim we didn’t offer him. 

I misread that. It's Marquette (which makes much more sense).

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Damn. So...

G: Jones, Febres, Tyson, Askew, maaaaaaaaaaaybe Ramey

F: Cunningham, Hepa

We're pretty small right now, and the bigs we do have are role players. Muoka and Kopp are almost must haves then for the season.

Does Askew scare off TyTy Washington?

Hepa is in the portal. Given his lack of defensive skills, it's probably best for Beard and Texas if he finds a landing spot elsewhere.

16 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Damn. So...

G: Jones, Febres, Tyson, Askew, maaaaaaaaaaaybe Ramey

F: Cunningham, Hepa

We're pretty small right now, and the bigs we do have are role players. Muoka and Kopp are almost must haves then for the season.

Does Askew scare off TyTy Washington?

Not that I necessarily expect any of them back, but since you listed Ramey... Sims, Brown, and Coleman have not formally announced they're leaving yet either.