Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

Maybe this isn't the right thread, but I just recently started following the basketball team towards the end of shakas tenure. Can someone explain why Royal Ivey would be considered a slam dunk? I've also seen people float Musselman or Oats. I've from what I can tell has largely been an assistant coach for the entirety of his career. TIA

15 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Maybe this isn't the right thread, but I just recently started following the basketball team towards the end of shakas tenure. Can someone explain why Royal Ivey would be considered a slam dunk? I've also seen people float Musselman or Oats. I've from what I can tell has largely been an assistant coach for the entirety of his career. TIA

I think Musselman should be the top candidate. And I’m pretty sure KD and every basketball alum love Ivey, so it would help from a recruiting standpoint. Also would be cool to see some nba offense down in the college game, and not the same offense from the past 40 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

Ivey was given consideration after things blew up with Shaka because there was a heavy push by Durant and some other ex players to at least give him a look. At the time he was considered a high potential NBA assistant coach with the Nets who helped run an offense that people would kill to play in. What happened since is their coaching staff fell apart, that entire org became a dumpster fire and Ivey is now coaching a team in the fucking Sudan because that is the best gig he could find..     Anyone suggesting Ivery you can immediately discount as either just poorly informed or a complete retard. A lot changes in just two years and Ivey is not and absolutely should not be given even the slightest of consideration. 

4 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Anyone suggesting Ivery you can immediately discount as either just poorly informed or a complete retard. A lot changes in just two years and Ivey is not and absolutely should not be given even the slightest of consideration. 

Let's check in on the BON writers

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Ivey was given consideration after things blew up with Shaka because there was a heavy push by Durant and some other ex players to at least give him a look. At the time he was considered a high potential NBA assistant coach with the Nets who helped run an offense that people would kill to play in. What happened since is their coaching staff fell apart, that entire org became a dumpster fire and Ivey is now coaching a team in the fucking Sudan because that is the best gig he could find..     Anyone suggesting Ivery you can immediately discount as either just poorly informed or a complete retard. A lot changes in just two years and Ivey is not and absolutely should not be given even the slightest of consideration. 

Ivey is still an assistant coach for the Nets, in addition to being the HC of the Sudanese National Team.  He absolutely should be given an interview.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

9 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Yikes, didn't realize he's just been in Sudan. I wasn't a fan given that he doesn't have head coaching experience and the transition from NBA->College is not filled with a lot of success since the game is so different. Look at Kenny Payne and Patrick Ewing for how they're doing at their alma maters. Even Mike Woodson and Fred Hoiberg aren't lighting the world on fire. The concept of Royal Ivey is incredibly similar to Payne in that it's just assumed his relationship and relatability would help make him a rainmaker as a recruiter and awesome players coach. Just by being at Texas though you're given an incredible head start in that direction.

9 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Yikes, didn't realize he's just been in Sudan. I wasn't a fan given that he doesn't have head coaching experience and the transition from NBA->College is not filled with a lot of success since the game is so different. Look at Kenny Payne and Patrick Ewing for how they're doing at their alma maters. Even Mike Woodson and Fred Hoiberg aren't lighting the world on fire. The concept of Royal Ivey is incredibly similar to Payne in that it's just assumed his relationship and relatability would help make him a rainmaker as a recruiter and awesome players coach. Just by being at Texas though you're given an incredible head start in that direction.

Nah I worded that poorly. He still has his Nets gig. Meant that the only head coaching job he has been able to find, since interviewing with us, was in Sudan. No one else is clamoring to hire him. The shine on him fell way off after that disastrous run by Brooklyn (both their failure to make use of the roster and the hilariously poorly handled dysfunction) and he is viewed as part of the problem despite managing to save his own job thanks to his connections with Durant. I really don't want to shit on an alumni but I know people involved there and I don't think there is a single power 5 college that would hire Ivey based on the feedback from unbiased personnel around the Nets organization. Him getting our gig would be lunacy. 

Optics and narratives change. Two years ago we could have honestly sold the idea that we just hired an NBA assistant who was in line to potentially get NBA head coaching jobs. That would move the needle with parents and recruits. Now you have an assistant who only has a job due to his relationship with a malcontent NBA star and who has been a key figure in some of the worst coaching, just in general, in all of basketball over the last couple of seasons. I just don't see how you can spin that and it would be a soft reset for the program. You sure as fuck aren't going to clean up the portal or maintain your hold on our five star recruits by going with a guy unproven and without any shine on his name as is currently the case with Ivey. 

1 minute ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Nah I worded that poorly. He still has his Nets gig. Meant that the only head coaching job he has been able to find, since interviewing with us, was in Sudan. No one else is clamoring to hire him. The shine on him fell way off after that disastrous run by Brooklyn (both their failure to make use of the roster and the hilariously poorly handled dysfunction) and he is viewed as part of the problem despite managing to save his own job thanks to his connections with Durant. I really don't want to shit on an alumni but I know people involved there and I don't think there is a single power 5 college that would hire Ivey based on the feedback from unbiased personnel around the Nets organization. Him getting our gig would be lunacy. 

Optics and narratives change. Two years ago we could have honestly sold the idea that we just hired an NBA assistant who was in line to potentially get NBA head coaching jobs. That would move the needle with parents and recruits. Now you have an assistant who only has a job due to his relationship with a malcontent NBA star and who has been a key figure in some of the worst coaching, just in general, in all of basketball over the last couple of seasons. I just don't see how you can spin that and it would be a soft reset for the program. You sure as fuck aren't going to clean up the portal or maintain your hold on our five star recruits by going with a guy unproven and without any shine on his name as is currently the case with Ivey. 

You have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.

1 hour ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

L-O-fucking-L

You act like you know what you're talking about, but then didn't realize that Royal Ivey still coaches on the Nets, you blame Ivey for the internal dysfunction of the team, and then you have no idea that the Nets are currently 1 game out of first place in the Eastern Conference - having won 16 of their last 18 games, including an NBA best 12 game win streak.

59 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

HateYouAndMyselfAndRoyalIveyAndMaybeSouthSudan ? Did I get it right?

34 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

L-O-fucking-L

You act like you know what you're talking about, but then didn't realize that Royal Ivey still coaches on the Nets, you blame Ivey for the internal dysfunction of the team, and then you have no idea that the Nets are currently 1 game out of first place in the Eastern Conference - having won 16 of their last 18 games, including an NBA best 12 game win streak.

I am/was obviously aware that he is still a coach on the Nets. I immediately corrected it as such when someone responded. I originally had a much longer comment that mentioned his failure to get anyone interested in hiring him as a head coach or to even get interviews and how he ended up settling for a national team HC gig in fucking Sudan as the only place that would let him run anything but then trimmed it down and it instead ended up looking really stupid. I almost removed the whole bit anyway since mentioning it as a negative was kind of a cheap shot. Fair enough. I'll own that one. /shrug 

With regards to the rest I never blamed him. I said he was part of the problem. Part. Because he was. I have a family member that works within the Nets and a family friend that is a bench coach for a different NBA team they play regularly. I hear all kinds of insane shit about that organization. Ivey was not THE problem by any means but his bullshit and immaturity certainly didn't help during the Harden fiasco and all the drama before and after his trade. He is lucky as fuck to not have been thrown out on his ass along with Nash and likely would have been this November had Durant not shielded him. Simple as that. The Nets playing well now maybe removes some of the stink on him but anyone suggesting Ivery two years ago and Ivey now have even close to the same rep or perceived hype is delusional and ill informed (or just fucking lying). 

edit: I mean how in your mind would that even work? How would I be aware of something as obscure as him coaching a damn Sudanese team but not know he was still with the Nets? Even if you think I am completely full of shit and just like google searched the guy I would obviously have still seen he was on the Nets..  But hey I broke the golden rule and went full-retard with how I phrased it so fair enough. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself

28 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

I am/was obviously aware that he is still a coach on the Nets. I immediately corrected it as such when someone responded. I originally had a much longer comment that mentioned his failure to get anyone interested in hiring him as a head coach or to even get interviews and how he ended up settling for a national team HC gig in fucking Sudan as the only place that would let him run anything but then trimmed it down and it instead ended up looking really stupid. I almost removed the whole bit anyway since mentioning it as a negative was kind of a cheap shot. Fair enough. I'll own that one. /shrug 

With regards to the rest I never blamed him. I said he was part of the problem. Part. Because he was. I have a family member that works within the Nets and a family friend that is a bench coach for a different NBA team they play regularly. I hear all kinds of insane shit about that organization. Ivey was not THE problem by any means but his bullshit and immaturity certainly didn't help during the Harden fiasco and all the drama before and after his trade. He is lucky as fuck to not have been thrown out on his ass along with Nash and likely would have been this November had Durant not shielded him. Simple as that. The Nets playing well now maybe removes some of the stink on him but anyone suggesting Ivery two years ago and Ivey now have even close to the same rep or perceived hype is delusional and ill informed (or just fucking lying). 

edit: I mean how in your mind would that even work? How would I be aware of something as obscure as him coaching a damn Sudanese team but not know he was still with the Nets? Even if you think I am completely full of shit and just like google searched the guy I would obviously have still seen he was on the Nets..  But hey I broke the golden rule and went full-retard with how I phrased it so fair enough. 

1. The Nets staff didn’t “fall apart”. They got rid of Nash and promoted Jacque Vaughn from within. And they’ve been great ever since, they currently have the 2nd best record in the league, only a game behind the league-leading Celtics.

2. Royal Ivey never left (as you claim to have known despite your dumbass posts), he’s been there the entire time, he’s still an assistant coach there, and things are currently going as well as they ever have in Brooklyn.

3. He is also the head coach of the South Sudanese national team. That is not a full time job, it’s in addition to the Nets job. Coach K didn’t quit coaching at Duke when he became the Team USA coach. You do both.

4. NBA coaches become national team coaches all the time, Del Harris used to coach the Chinese national team, Raptors head coach Nick Nurse is currently the Canadian national team coach, you trying to turn that into a negative is stupid as hell. 

If you don’t want to hire Ivey, that’s fine, but most of what you’ve posted is nonsense that we’d all be better off not reading.

Edited by Lonestar88
  • Hook 'Em 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Actually it's not. He's a legit top 50 player. Big combo guard who shoots fairly well and plays great defense. He's tier down from Cason Wallace, but he's a similar player. 

He's not a top 50 player, Imo, but He's ranked 33 composite currently. In fact he's not even the best  player on his Sierra Canyon team. Definition of ranked where he is because of his dads name. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

15 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

He had an absolutely outstanding EYBL season last spring that really legitimized his rankings and that's the consensus opinion among all ratings agencies. 

So he passes the EYBL test?

His old man has been running him over and then crying for a foul in their backyard for 10 years now. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He's not a top 50 player, Imo, but He's ranked 33 composite currently. In fact he's not even the best  player on his Sierra Canyon team. Definition of ranked where he is because of his dads name. 

Sierra Canyon is one these nationally recruiting powerhouses, so that’s not even that much of an insult. They’ve got a junior who’s a 5-star top 15 national kid.

Bronny probably shouldn’t be a McD all-American, but he’s certainly not a 3-star either. He’s a solid 4-star and a really good defender.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Well, given our coaching situation, it wasn’t something you had to worry about.

To be fair, it's not necessarily a circus, more like WWE.

12 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Definitely not a 3 star.

He's definitely not a borderline 5 star talent either which is where they have him ranked. He's a top 75-51 ranked type player that his name is over ranking him. Now his brother on the other hand, should be ranked where Bronny is because he's actually legit.

Edited by BurntOrange&White