2021 - Is inflation finally back in the conversation?

Reagan1k

42 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

On-shoring will become more important for American economic stability. 

Yeah, I’m revisiting some of what I wrote in 2009-10 about the strategic strategic imperatives involved in not letting American heavy industry and auto manufacturing fail. Can you even imagine where we would be? 

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, bernorange said:

That's fine.  I was just pointing out that there is a difference between a monetary phenomenon ([hyper/]inflation) and a market phenomenon (supply shock).  The first is a deep rooted issue.  The latter could/should be transitory (relatively).

It’s still influenced by the extra liquidity that’s been put out there. It was up 3x over normal before Putin ever invaded. 

In any case, my guess is it will exacerbated by more liquidity coming in response to global slowdown later this year, early next year.

US Dollar continues to reign supreme. Flight to safety plus hawkish Fed.  International Capital adores austerity for the masses. 
—————————-
Employment outlook - storm clouds on the horizon  with 50% of firms surveyed planning layoffs  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-18/layoffs-are-planned-at-half-of-all-companies-pwc-survey-shows

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Oh no the price of bimmerz is about to get out of control.  Germany is reaping the rewards of sowing no nukes, no coal, and bending over for Russia for twenty years.  Tough titty.

it's not them sowing no nuclear power plants as much as the left and the greens have been trying to shut them down for the past 40 years and merkel finally gave in after fukushima.  even after the invasion the greens were calling for the nuclear plants to be shut down against 70% of germans wanting otherwise.  

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

it's not them sowing no nuclear power plants as much as the left and the greens have been trying to shut them down for the past 40 years and merkel finally gave in after fukushima.  even after the invasion the greens were calling for the nuclear plants to be shut down against 70% of germans wanting otherwise.  

why do the green activists hate the poorest slice of the global demographics who, more than anyone else, rely on cheap energy?

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

why do the green activists hate the poorest slice of the global demographics who, more than anyone else, rely on cheap energy?

Because they have an anti-human mindset.

They believe there’s too many people and that any effect humans have on the environment is a negative, despite any positives it could provide. Cheap, plentiful energy is bad because it enables human flourishing. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Wrong way. The price of imports to the US goes down with a strong dollar.  The price of exported American goods abroad goes up. 

A BWW in every American garage?

Unless its those bmw SUVs made in south carolina they just get pegged to the dollaroos

Congrats on your pay raise, everyone

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/19/energy/gas-prices-savings/index.html

New York (CNN Business)Next time you stop at a gas station, think of it as a $100-a-month tax cut. Or a maybe $100-a-month raise.

The steady drop in gas prices over the last few months has turned into an unexpected form of economic stimulus, coming at a time when the Federal Reserve is trying to cool the economy and battle rising prices with higher interest rates.
Since hitting a record of $5.02 a gallon on June 14, the national average price for regular gas is down $1.10, or 22%, to $3.92, according to AAA. That average has now fallen for 67 consecutive days.

Since the typical US household uses about 90 gallons of gas a month, the $1.10 drop in prices equals a savings of $98.82.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

40 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Congrats on your pay raise, everyone

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/19/energy/gas-prices-savings/index.html

New York (CNN Business)Next time you stop at a gas station, think of it as a $100-a-month tax cut. Or a maybe $100-a-month raise.

The steady drop in gas prices over the last few months has turned into an unexpected form of economic stimulus, coming at a time when the Federal Reserve is trying to cool the economy and battle rising prices with higher interest rates.
Since hitting a record of $5.02 a gallon on June 14, the national average price for regular gas is down $1.10, or 22%, to $3.92, according to AAA. That average has now fallen for 67 consecutive days.

Since the typical US household uses about 90 gallons of gas a month, the $1.10 drop in prices equals a savings of $98.82.

Amazon does this before prime day. They Jack up the regular price and then put everything on “sale” for 20% off

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Sorry, are we supposed to be happy that the price of gas has fallen or mad that it has fallen? It's hard to keep up here.

Inflation is still there, but it's thankfully coming down and looks to be meaningfully so. Let's hope it continues.

Yes?

Everything is transitory on a long enough timeline.

Which I suspect will change some November in the future…

21 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Sorry, are we supposed to be happy that the price of gas has fallen or mad that it has fallen? It's hard to keep up here.

We’re not supposed to frame a short term reduction over the backdrop of a long term increase as equivalent to an earnings increase which is a permanent increase in purchasing power. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/14/2022 at 6:47 PM, Not a cat said:

Why are people arguing w cloakroomers?They live for this shit. Put them on ignore or at least quit quoting them so I don't have to read their gaslighting bullshit. 

It's not gaslighting, it's the truth.  Y'all live in a snowflake bubble and some of us think you should be called out on your bullshit.

On 8/14/2022 at 8:32 PM, StassneyHorn said:

I think this is your 3rd time to say dumb shit about couponing, without it meaning a single thing. You didn’t get the recession you envisioned would hit people, but drunkenly not understanding math isn’t the slam you think it is.

He thought he scored big when I pointed out that the price of milk was 40% of what I had quoted, simply because it was on sale.  There were no coupons.  He's a fucking moron.

On 8/14/2022 at 4:16 AM, slorch said:

LOLz at the "It's not really that bad" campers. As if you didn't get an electric bill for July...or even put food on the table at home.

LOLz.   My electric bill was up 23.6% last month, year over year.  My consumption was up 18.7%, year over year.

Oh why oh why is this the case?  Could it be INFLATION?  No, it's the fucking HOTTER WEATHER.  My incrementally increased usage was billed at the top rate, and so my cost  went up a bit more than my usage, percentage-wise.

You're really bad at this.  I mean, if you want to yap about the cost of electricity, then you probably shouldn't engage with people who live in Austin.  You know, that "libtard" city.

"LOLz".  Clown.

30 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

LOLz.   My electric bill was up 23.6% last month, year over year.  My consumption was up 18.7%, year over year.

Oh why oh why is this the case?  Could it be INFLATION?  No, it's the fucking HOTTER WEATHER.  My incrementally increased usage was billed at the top rate, and so my cost  went up a bit more than my usage, percentage-wise.

You're really bad at this.  I mean, if you want to yap about the cost of electricity, then you probably shouldn't engage with people who live in Austin.  You know, that "libtard" city.

"LOLz".  Clown.

How low is your thermostat set?

Edited by Humble Beast

57 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

"LOLz".  Clown.

fuck you negger bitch.

You're right.  Inflation doesn't exist...to people who suck at math. It's 5% hotter this year?  WTF ever.

and I took zero shots at Austin.  You have the problem, not me.

Edited by slorch

10 minutes ago, slorch said:

fuck you negger bitch.

You're right.  Inflation doesn't exist...to people who suck at math. It's 5% hotter this year?  WTF ever.

and I took zero shots at Austin.  You have the problem, not me.

LMAO.  You are truly stunted.  Note that (a) I never said inflation doesn't exist (b) I pointed out our rate tier, which means you pay more for each kwH (in tranches) as you consume more power, (c) who said "5% hotter"? Tell me you know nothing about heat transfer without telling me you know nothing about heat transfer and (d) when you start talking about electric bills on an Austin-centric board AND YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY OUR RATES HAVEN'T GONE UP you deserve every bit of shit you get.

This is why I don't like to venture out of the CR for policy/"political" (LOL) discussion.  You people are (in general) stupid.

Neg me back, slorch.  You're a blight on this whole site.

Definition of blight

(Entry 1 of 2)

1botany
a: a disease or injury of plants marked by the formation of lesions, withering, and death of parts (such as leaves and tubers)potato blight
b: an organism (such as an insect or a fungus) that causes blight
2: something that frustrates plans or hopesthe blight of povertyan abandoned factory that was a blight on the neighborhood
3: something that impairs or destroys… censorship … has brought under its blight Ireland's greatest poets, dramatists, and scholars.— Paul Blanshard
4: a deteriorated conditionurban blight
Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1