2021 - Is inflation finally back in the conversation?

Reagan1k

4 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

CR or not, pinning our economic crisis solely on this administration is fucking bullshit.  Sorry the last administration fucked us over and that we had a world wide shutdown.  Y’all chucklefucks were celebrating the 2017 tax cuts even though report after report indicated it would screw us years down the line.  

take it to the CR fuckboy.

4 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

CR or not, pinning our economic crisis solely on this administration is fucking bullshit.  Sorry the last administration fucked us over and that we had a world wide shutdown.  Y’all chucklefucks were celebrating the 2017 tax cuts even though report after report indicated it would screw us years down the line.  

girl door GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

The Fed promised pain and will not be satisfied until millions are put out of work. 

This is a Fed created problem with their commitment to the Fed Put (f/k/a the Greenspan Put). The Put was Fed Orthodoxy from 1997 - 2021. Clowns like Larry Summers had no problem with the Fed Put until very recently. 

tldr: if you cannot spot the sucker at the poker table, you are the sucker. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

powell:  rates are going to go higher than we thought

also powell:  maybe we'll start the process of slowing rate hikes as soon as december

but also powell:  it's premature to think about pausing hikes

all within the span of like 5 minutes.

Market at noon: MOON!!!

Market at 1: CRASH!!

3 hours ago, Incredulity said:

take it to the CR fuckboy.

Classic DT "I'm gonna post political takes but anybody left of center can't" bullshit.  surly mods need to get a handle on this shit, because it's the most hypocritical aspect of the entire website.

Plus, you're an idiot.

• Haha 5
  • Fuck You 1

47 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Classic DT "I'm gonna post political takes but anybody left of center can't" bullshit.  surly mods need to get a handle on this shit, because it's the most hypocritical aspect of the entire website.

Plus, you're an idiot.

Please just ignore him.  Unfortunately quoting doesn’t forestall ignored posts from showing up and that dude is just a worthless poster.

On 10/25/2022 at 11:39 AM, UT_OB1 said:

Sort of related I think - BCBS quoted us a 17% increase on insurance for our company. Hopefully HR can shop around and find something less expensive that is still good coverage 

We just switch to United health care   Better policies and much less expensive   Bcbs was getting insane 

1 hour ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

We just switch to United health care   Better policies and much less expensive   Bcbs was getting insane 

We use BCBS as our plan manager but we’re big enough to self insure with catastrophic coverage as backup.  As a result we’ve been able to absorb cost increases without increasing the cost to employees. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Through my leadership, I am responding to your post with a positive message. Have a great day, 52-80. 

Through my charm, I stuck my dick in 2 women today, my biggest pussy haul in 10 years. 

5 hours ago, LCHorn said:

I can’t screenshot it from my phone but MBS activity between 2 pm and 3:30 was basically “omg, we’re alive!” to “oops, no, actually we’re dead.”

I'm under the impression the MBS market has dried up.  The Fed had been backstopping the entire MBS market and they don't want to any longer, due to their ballooning balance sheet-- that was never in their charter.  It's gonna be dismal for housing going forward, but all that former MBS buying activity plus cheap capital, plus mega-inflated equities forged a market where even the dog down the street owns an 'investment' property.  

US-Fed-Balance-sheet-2022-09-01-mbs-.png    US-Fed-Balance-sheet-2022-7-07-assets-lo

8 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

powell:  rates are going to go higher than we thought

also powell:  maybe we'll start the process of slowing rate hikes as soon as december

but also powell:  it's premature to think about pausing hikes

all within the span of like 5 minutes.

3E0FCAC7-6E9F-46F0-B056-955A23CD4E48.jpeg.5f77e7ee79e2c8b4b99a098d75e13821.jpegYes. In the garden, growth has it seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

It’s all going to get insane. Hospital systems are taking it in the shorts and they are waiting for current contracts to come up for negotiation. And Medicare will have to increase reimbursement or multiple hospitals will fail and close.

• Rage+1 1

I cant believe turkish and venezuelan businesses keep gouging on retail prices  such that theyre causing megainflation.

Their governments should really implement windfall taxes against that sort of greed. 

Edited by 52-80
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Newdoc said:

It’s all going to get insane. Hospital systems are taking it in the shorts and they are waiting for current contracts to come up for negotiation. And Medicare will have to increase reimbursement or multiple hospitals will fail and close.

Hospitals aren't taking it in the shorts, their shareholders are. And since they're entitled to always get profit no matter what, our rates go up. Hooray operating in a captured market that will literally kill or bankrupt you if you don't participate!

Hospitals aren't taking it in the shorts, their shareholders are. And since they're entitled to always get profit no matter what, our rates go up. Hooray operating in a captured market that will literally kill or bankrupt you if you don't participate!

Well said Comradeant! Defend us from the Capitalist pigs and their evil profits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

41 minutes ago, TxTower said:

Well said Comradeant! Defend us from the Capitalist pigs and their evil profits!

You're right, watching a family member waste away under """skilled care""" because it's too expensive to treat them with dignity is HILARIOUS! For-profit, private healthcare that's controlled by your employer is the BEST! Especially when you still drop thousands on premiums and deductibles, only to still be left with tens of thousands in bills that are line-itemed differently every time you ask them to.

Profits aren't evil. Exploitative profit margins that are going solely to shareholders literally thousands of miles away - not the people actually suffering and toiling doing the work - are most decidedly evil. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Terminal rate guess - 5.5%. 

One factor to consider: https://www.thesling.org/the-hidden-cause-of-economy-wide-inflation/

My claim is that platform MFNs are a hidden cause of the current macroeconomic inflation. An economy full of dominant intermediaries, all of whom use MFNs and their non-price equivalents, is an economy primed to turn private unilateral market power into widespread macroeconomic inflation when it comes time for recoupment.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Terminal rate guess - 5.5%. 

One factor to consider: https://www.thesling.org/the-hidden-cause-of-economy-wide-inflation/

My claim is that platform MFNs are a hidden cause of the current macroeconomic inflation. An economy full of dominant intermediaries, all of whom use MFNs and their non-price equivalents, is an economy primed to turn private unilateral market power into widespread macroeconomic inflation when it comes time for recoupment.

This is an excellent follow-on to my point: healthcare is an industry rife with MFN's and middlemen that do nothing but take profits without actually contributing to the outcome that generated the revenue. But unless you're made out of cash, neither you nor your doctor have any choice or say as to when or who or what or how you are treated. You're totally at the mercy of whatever those most favored intermediaries (that are obfuscated from you) decide is best for their interests. 

10 minutes ago, Humble Beast said:

Please baby Jesus can we avoid a debate over the health care system on this thread. 

Not talking about healthcare. I'm talking about how we're billed and charged for it, and using it as an example of exploitative profit taking 

Edited by Captainant

17 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Listening to the earnings call of a global travel company. They say that the inflation they are seeing is stabilizing and in some cases coming down. So that's good.

I've seen it in spots in our business too. I hope we can have the perfect landing of slowing inflation before hitting the recession iceberg.  However, I'm not in Healthcare so we aren't massively profitable anyway.

15 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I've seen it in spots in our business too. I hope we can have the perfect landing of slowing inflation before hitting the recession iceberg.  However, I'm not in Healthcare so we aren't massively profitable anyway.

In anecdote land, checked my options for the Health Insurance Marketplace for next year. Rates actually held steady for us. Normally they are up double digits.

20 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

In anecdote land, checked my options for the Health Insurance Marketplace for next year. Rates actually held steady for us. Normally they are up double digits.

One more thing to add is that is a huge deal -- it's our largest single expense except for the mortgage.

So our mortgage and health insurance will hold steady. Property taxes (third biggest single item?) will increase. But the combination of food/fuel/entertainment aren't that big a part of the budget. We do a bit of travel and airfare cost have soared. But honestly, I'm just as happy driving down to SPI than going on a fancy trip.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I’m not in healthcare and my company is massively profitable.  Sorry but not sorry.

• Haha 1

I've never seen MFN for rising prices, I've seen them on the demand side for lower prices - you promise the price I pay is the lowest price you charge other customers. I've also seen them struck more times than I can count in contract negotiations. more so than 100 bottles of beer on the wall take one down pass it around, 99 bottles of beer on the wall.  Not saying it's not an issue, just never heard anti-competitive price fixing as a most favored nation clause.

14 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Why do you hate shareholders? Investments are a good thing. 

In practice as we see today, benefits go to the shareholders first. Company recieves $600,000,000 in paycheck protection money? Stock buybacks and bonuses BAYBEEEE!!! Shit was litty titty there for a bit, don't you remember? 

Or were you too busy chasing down your leads on election fraud to notice?

20 minutes ago, Captainant said:

In practice as we see today, benefits go to the shareholders first. Company recieves $600,000,000 in paycheck protection money? Stock buybacks and bonuses BAYBEEEE!!! Shit was litty titty there for a bit, don't you remember? 

Or were you too busy chasing down your leads on election fraud to notice?

I dunno. I just know i you think Americans are poor now, imagine if they weren’t basically forced to invest.  Most people on this site have a lot of money tied up in equities. A lot more than worrying about incremental increases in health care and energy.  If you can’t buy 5 years worth of gas off what you made off XOM this year you’re doing it wrong. 

26 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Trust me, there will be a reckoning in Dec/Jan when hourly workers get annual increases.

I work for one of the largest healthcare companies in the world and while there was talk about significant increases in wages during the summer that has cooled. The latest I heard from upper management (maybe a month ago) is my staff is paid appropriately.  There will be a bump in pay but nothing like how it was perceived a few months ago. I am quite sure my salary increase will not be higher than 3%. I am praying my staff sees 5% increases. There will be a reckoning regardless because all of my hourly workers are expecting 8-9% minimum. I told my wife I may go part time in March because I don't care to deal with this. Right now upper management has been laying the groundwork because their message lately has been be thankful you have a job as we had had layoffs like everyone else. 

58 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

I work for one of the largest healthcare companies in the world and while there was talk about significant increases in wages during the summer that has cooled. The latest I heard from upper management (maybe a month ago) is my staff is paid appropriately.  There will be a bump in pay but nothing like how it was perceived a few months ago. I am quite sure my salary increase will not be higher than 3%. I am praying my staff sees 5% increases. There will be a reckoning regardless because all of my hourly workers are expecting 8-9% minimum. I told my wife I may go part time in March because I don't care to deal with this. Right now upper management has been laying the groundwork because their message lately has been be thankful you have a job as we had had layoffs like everyone else. 

What are you, some commie pinko? You must generate an acceptable rate of return for the shareholders, laborer. Be thankful you're getting the crumbs you are, otherwise capitalism may fail!

• Haha 1