Kanye

Hank Kingsley

1 minute ago, hpslugga said:

Didn’t care about him when he was saying GWB doesn’t care about black people either. That guy has the IQ of a lima bean.

And that's fair. But he is a HUGE cultural influence on millions of young people. His opinion matters, and it's important for this shit to be addressed. 

Kanye's mom was a professor. His dad was a Black Panther.  I don't know if he's mentally ill, or if that's even an excuse for his rhetoric lately, but I'm interested to see the resolution with this shit. 

btw..  the actual quote that the OP's video omitted. “When you hear about slavery for 400 years. For 400 years?! That sounds like a choice. Like, you were there for 400 years and it’s all of you all? Like, we’re mentally in prison. Like, slavery goes too direct to the idea of blacks,”

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

I couldn’t name a song of his if a gun was put to my head and don’t give a shit about his political opinions.  

uh ok.

He's brain damaged. Probably TBI resulting from his car crash. 

He hasn’t been the same since 2008.

his mom died in 2007 and he blames himself for that.

I wonder if his mom was able to contain his crazy while she was alive and that’s why the last 10 have been him going off the deep end.

31 minutes ago, Amobie said:

btw..  the actual quote that the OP's video omitted. “When you hear about slavery for 400 years. For 400 years?! That sounds like a choice. Like, you were there for 400 years and it’s all of you all? Like, we’re mentally in prison. Like, slavery goes too direct to the idea of blacks,”

He should do a little research about the slaves who chose to not be slaves anymore. Start with Denmark Vesey and then move on to Nat Turner.

It didn't turn out well for them.

Edited by David Dennison

35 minutes ago, Amobie said:

Watch more than the first 10 seconds of the video.

35 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

kanye is a brilliant musician, but i think he may actually be functionally retarded

Wtf. No, he isn't. A brilliant marketer that has made millions while being borderline retarded - yes. Brilliant musician - let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Please name a song or two that we just won't be able to stop listening to.

I'll hang up and listen.

Edit: And to make it more fun, try something from the last 5 or 6 years that this potato head has done.

Edited by relapse98

I miss the old Kanye, straight from the 'Go Kanye
Chop up the soul Kanye, set on his goals Kanye
I hate the new Kanye, the bad mood Kanye
The always rude Kanye, spaz in the news Kanye
I miss the sweet Kanye, chop up the beats Kanye
I gotta to say, at that time I'd like to meet Kanye
See I invented Kanye, it wasn't any Kanyes
And now I look and look around and there's so many Kanyes
I used to love Kanye, I used to love Kanye
I even had the pink Polo, I thought I was Kanye
What if Kanye made a song, about Kanye?
Called "I Miss The Old Kanye," man that'd be so Kanye
That's all it was Kanye, we still love Kanye
And I love you like Kanye loves Kanye

• Like 1

If my manager insults me again I will be assaulting him
After I fuck the manager up then I'm gonna shorten the register up
Let's go back, back to the Gap
Look at my check, wasn't no scratch
So if I stole, wasn't my fault
Yeah I stole, never got caught
They take me to the back and pat me
Askin' me about some khakis
But let some black people walk in
I bet they show off their token blackie
Oh now they love Kanye, let's put him all in the front of the store
Saw him on break next to the 'No Smoking' sign with a blunt in the Mall'
Takin' my hits, writin' my hits
Writin' my rhymes, playin' my mind
This fuckin' job can't help him
So I quit, y'all welcome
Y'all don't know my struggle
Y'all can't match my hustle
You can't catch my hustle
You can't fathom my love dude
Lock yourself in a room doin' five beats a day for three summers
That's a different world like Cree Summers
I deserve to do these numbers

The kid that made that deserves that Maybach
So many records in my basement
I'm just waitin' on my spaceship

Way overrated from day one and trying to capture headlines now that it's (finally) universally agreed upon that he sucks ass. However, his best publicity stunt since his anti Tay Tay stunt at the Grammys. Hell even /pol/ loves him now.  Useful idiot.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, David Dennison said:

He should do a little research about the slaves who chose to not be slaves anymore. Start with Denmark Vesey and then move on to Nat Turner.

It didn't turn out well for them.

That's where the communication broke down and a lot of that is Kanye's fault.  He's using an analogy to make his point by saying we are in a mental prison and slaves in our own minds.  That context matters. 

He is saying that focusing on slavery today is a choice.    There are no individuals alive that lived through the period where blacks were slaves in the USA but we are still talking about it as if it was last week.  It's a choice whether or not we make the harm inflicted upon us become part of our cultural identity.

To Kanye, this is a psychological hurdle the black community needs to overcome.  That's what his whole Candace Owens plug was all about and it's pretty sad that they are twisting what he's saying like this.  Overall, his message is very positive and forward thinking.  Let go of the past and break free of the chains of lower expectations.

I think this sums up what angle he's going for.  He just needs to work on the delivery so it's not taken out of context.

• Like 2

Just now, seven said:

I'm glad Kanye has amobie to tell everyone what he really meant when he claimed slavery was a choice. 

In the era of fakenews, it's a good idea to get the complete story and I don't think the video provided by the OP gives context.  I went to Kanye's twitter and he's retweeting Candace Owens on this topic left and right while talking about this subject for weeks.

Which is more likely in your mind.

1) Kanye actually believes that slavery was a choice.

2) He was continuing his mental prison analogy.

2 minutes ago, seven said:

Personally I think Kanye is able to clarify if he thinks he's being taken out of context. 

Which he did..  Here is Kayne's tweet storm from last night.

Edited by Amobie

2 minutes ago, Amobie said:

Which he did..  Here is Kayne's tweet storm from last night.

Uh, he doubled down on slaves (actual slaves not the mental slaves of today) choosing to be slaves. 

Obviously he's trying to tie the two periods together, but he's failing and digging himself deeper. 

Ftr I don't have much problem with what Owens says (other than completely ignoring the harm the right has done) and agree that low expectations is a problem in certain left circles. 

But come on... "400 years, and it was all of you? That sounds like a choice" is insane. 

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Well, Kanye actually believed that fake Harriet Tubman quote that I posted from his Twitter.  Apparently being a "free thinker" means the truth really doesn't matter.

He wont be the first and wont be the last to retweet a fake quote.  I think his heart is in the right place and like it or not, he's getting people talking and discussing this issue differently. 

Maybe there is something to the argument that lower expectations create worse outcomes. 

When I was growing up I was told by my father, "If you are shooting for the moon, aim above it, not at it."  I am sure he got it from somewhere else but the message got through to me.  Shoot high so you'll be happy where you land.

4 minutes ago, seven said:

Uh, he doubled down on slaves (actual slaves not the mental slaves of today) choosing to be slaves. 

Obviously he's trying to tie the two periods together, but he's failing and digging himself deeper. 

If you understand that, he's made his point.  He's made it in such a way that you are being forced into talking about him and what he said. 

8 minutes ago, Amobie said:

He wont be the first and wont be the last to retweet a fake quote.  I think his heart is in the right place and like it or not, he's getting people talking and discussing this issue differently. 

Maybe there is something to the argument that lower expectations create worse outcomes. 

When I was growing up I was told by my father, "If you are shooting for the moon, aim above it, not at it."  I am sure he got it from somewhere else but the message got through to me.  Shoot high so you'll be happy where you land.

If you understand that, he's made his point.  He's made it in such a way that you are being forced into talking about him and what he said. 

Candace Owens tweeted the fake Tubman quote as well.  For a "free thinker", Kanye sure is latching on to everything Candace Owens spouts. 

17 hours ago, Parliament said:

The reaction from his peers is the real story.  They all wanna put him back on the Liberal plantation.

Ah, yes, informing him that slaves didn't actually choose to be slaves equals "putting him on the liberal plantation." Are you really this stupid or do you just enjoy playing a moron on the internet?

17 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

And that's fair. But he is a HUGE cultural influence on millions of young people. His opinion matters, and it's important for this shit to be addressed. 

Kanye's mom was a professor. His dad was a Black Panther.  I don't know if he's mentally ill, or if that's even an excuse for his rhetoric lately, but I'm interested to see the resolution with this shit. 

People like his music. Id hardly say that anyone finds it "meaningful."  Lyrically, he's never been deep.  His music has never been the type where fans think "this artist gets it. This artist gets me."  I don't think anyone cares about his opinions.