Kanye

Hank Kingsley

I haven't thought deeply enough about Kanye's point or his music to have a strong opinion, but the entire body of his quotes make his "choice" comment seem like a ham-handed attempt to make a larger point. We have such a pathological need to be offended (and thereby claim some sort of pointless offense moral high ground) that we're only able to read the "choice" comment about 1 inch from our face rather than discuss what he is trying to say.

I think the principle of charity thread would serve everyone well here.

Edited by Mole

His opinion matters

To whom? I'm being serious, I don't know of anyone who actually gives a shit about politics (as in beyond the stereotypically superficial American level) that would ever seek his "views" for guidance. Like I said, that guy is a fucking dunce who has a massive inferiority complex and a spectacular and perpetual case of Dunning-Kruger. He seriously doesn't know what he doesn't know, and he's too incompetent to know how incompetent he is.

Fondren, I think you underestimate how young Americans view Kanye. It's not just about his music.  It's the brand he's built for himself over the years. To us olds, we see it as just a money-making mechanism. A significant portion of the younger generation is inspired by it. 

"Nation Suddenly Concerned about Black Man's Opinion"

The Onion ,as usual, is on point. 

Does anyone think Trump (or any politician) would be thanking Kanye for his opinion on urban poverty?

Edited by Tuco

13 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Fondren, I think you underestimate how young Americans view Kanye. It's not just about his music.  It's the brand he's built for himself over the years. To us olds, we see it as just a money-making mechanism. A significant portion of the younger generation is inspired by it. 

Absolutely this.  On its own merits, no one should give a shit about Trump's views on politics, but that fucking idiot was elected President.  We should not discount Kanye's comments on Trump, and the effect it will have on some voters - black and white. 

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Look, we can scoff at the old people that have been affected by Trumpism, as we know they'll die off sooner than later. 

Trumpism infiltrating the youth is a troubling scenario. 

Do young people listen to Kanye West? He seems dated.

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Do young people listen to Kanye West? He seems dated.

I'll weigh in as a "young person". As far as rappers go, Kanye is pretty popular but not at the top anymore. J.Cole, Kendrick Lamar, and Drake all have significantly more pull with the young crowd (18-30). Kanye has far less popularity with people even younger than that (where Migos, 21 Savage, Lil Pump and the clout rappers have the most fans). 

4 hours ago, Mole said:

I haven't thought deeply enough about Kanye's point or his music to have a strong opinion, but the entire body of his quotes make his "choice" comment seem like a ham-handed attempt to make a larger point. We have such a pathological need to be offended (and thereby claim some sort of pointless offense moral high ground) that we're only able to read the "choice" comment about 1 inch from our face rather than discuss what he is trying to say.

I think the principle of charity thread would serve everyone well here.

agreed

i believe i heard the point he was trying to make as well. "slavery" became a mindset and now is somewhat always a black thing. its too narrow. too mentally confined. at least i think that is what he tried to say. 

1 minute ago, staboner said:

agreed

i believe i heard the point he was trying to make as well. "slavery" became a mindset and now is somewhat always a black thing. its too narrow. too mentally confined. at least i think that is what he tried to say. 

Even if that's what he was trying to say, it's historically ignorant nonsense.

An argument about whether the naked emperor has clothes always has value in the large.  In the small the person who initiates it may get shot.  Probably does.

I'm not sure what Kanye said.  I've heard a number of people tell me and they're all over the map.  Some spins - like the one where slaves had a choice - are nuts.  Others - like slavery ended 150 years ago and if you think you're a slave it's your own fault - are so obvious they seem trite.  In any case, I have not heard a spin that seems worthy of true debate.  Arguing about what he really said seems silly, as it's about Kanye, not slavery.

Edited by TahoeHorn

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Not too much longer before he'll be accused of being a Russian agent.

Already happened. Eric Garland. I despise these people on the far left that say stupid shit almost as much as the far right. Not helping in any way. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Eric Trump

I still don't know why (aside from the SNL bit) everyone thinks Eric is the stupid one. Aside from Tiffany, he's been far and away the smartest of all of Trump's kids because he's simply shut the hell up.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Not too much longer before he'll be accused of being a Russian agent.

Dbo5JBmUwAAY41Z.jpg

Sorry for scooping the story Hugo but this was too important!

Edited by Amobie
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tuco said:

"Nation Suddenly Concerned about Black Man's Opinion"

The Onion ,as usual, is on point. 

Does anyone think Trump (or any politician) would be thanking Kanye for his opinion on urban poverty?

Man bites dog stories are news.  Dog bites man stories are not.

While I agree that a black person supporting Donald Trump seems absurd, and therefore is newsworthy (even for trivial reasons), it doesn't really address why suddenly Trump seems to care. The absurdity of the position does not give it credence, or reflect a deeper understanding which West has illuminated.  Therefore we are left with the conclusion that the only reason Trump cares about it is because it reflects positively on Trump.  (Which is also the only reason liberals/Democrats pretend to care about it.)

It's like TMZ editted out key parts of the conversation because neither person makes much sense.

Here's my gathering:

TMZ reporter seems to be making the case that blacks in America are still slaves (the first black slaves came to America 399 years ago, hence 400 years of slavery). 

Kanye seems to be saying that this kind of "slavery mindset" is self-inflicting harm.  It's the reporter's choice to view himself as a slave.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Amobie said:

Kanye will never understand how it feels to be a white liberal who is upset about black slavery that doesn’t exist anymore. Look at the damage he's causing.

What can you tell us about white conservatives who are upset that black slavery doesn't exist anymore?

• Like 1

On 5/2/2018 at 8:19 AM, Amobie said:

That's where the communication broke down and a lot of that is Kanye's fault.  He's using an analogy to make his point by saying we are in a mental prison and slaves in our own minds.  That context matters. 

He is saying that focusing on slavery today is a choice.    There are no individuals alive that lived through the period where blacks were slaves in the USA but we are still talking about it as if it was last week.  It's a choice whether or not we make the harm inflicted upon us become part of our cultural identity.

To Kanye, this is a psychological hurdle the black community needs to overcome.  That's what his whole Candace Owens plug was all about and it's pretty sad that they are twisting what he's saying like this.  Overall, his message is very positive and forward thinking.  Let go of the past and break free of the chains of lower expectations.

I think this sums up what angle he's going for.  He just needs to work on the delivery so it's not taken out of context.

I sure hope you aren't saying that letting go of the past means whitewashing history and making everyone forget that slavery ever existed. 

And as a representative of the race in question, I'm not sure what "slave mentality" Kanye  and  some posters here are talking about. 

Kanye has been clear about his mental issues and addiction and has even stated that he seeking help "through family and friends" which is the wrong way to go about because they'll tell you you're fine when you aren't. 

Kanye's problem also is he thinks he's a god and if he says something or adds his name to it, things will magically change. (See: his comment about the MAGA hat)

His sit down interview with CTG was interesting.  It explained a few things, but not by much.  And it doesn't excuse his comments and his love affair for Candace Owens. (Who mentions blacks are mentally weak, but doesn't explain how or why she's come to this conclusion.)

And let's be clear--Kanye isn't the most popular rapper today and he won't be ever again.  That time is gone.  However, The College Dropout, Late Registration, Graduation and half of 808 & Heartbreak were clearly his best. (And noticeably, all of those albums came out before his mom died, which is precisely the time he went batshit crazy.)

Edited by Pancho Negro

I give the black community credit for having much better bullshit detectors when it comes to politics than most Americans.  

They know a lying con artist when they see one and are usually good about voting in their best interests.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

does this guy have an impending album release?

not that hard, folks...

Kanye doesn't need promotion for an album.   This has nothing to do with promotion and everything to do with mental health. 

On 5/2/2018 at 4:35 PM, Tuco said:

While I agree that a black person supporting Donald Trump seems absurd, and therefore is newsworthy (even for trivial reasons), it doesn't really address why suddenly Trump seems to care. The absurdity of the position does not give it credence, or reflect a deeper understanding which West has illuminated.  Therefore we are left with the conclusion that the only reason Trump cares about it is because it reflects positively on Trump.  (Which is also the only reason liberals/Democrats pretend to care about it.)

Not meaning to pick on you but I do not get this mindset at all.  Do successful, high income earning black people not exist?  Why couldn't a black person support Trump?  While I'm on my soapbox this idea of the black community is a complete fallacy.  Every town that has black people living in it has a black community and there are going to be differences and variables between all of them.  There is no the black community.  There are thousands of black communities but they are not some Borg like monolith who have assimilated all of their members into the same organism.   This is one thing I can't stand about liberals.  They act like all minorities are clones of each other who all think and feel the same way about every issue(incidentally, that would be the same way white liberals think those minorities should think and feel about every issue) and then they turn around and call anyone who disagrees with them close minded and racist.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sidis said:

then why is it he has the bizarre mental health breakdowns like clockwork when he is about to release a new album?

every single time.

Read my post above.  He hasn't had bizarre mental health breakdowns for every album release until after 2008--after his mom died. 

He wasn't like this early on. 

44 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Not meaning to pick on you but I do not get this mindset at all.  Do successful, high income earning black people not exist?  Why couldn't a black person support Trump?  While I'm on my soapbox this idea of the black community is a complete fallacy.  Every town that has black people living in it has a black community and there are going to be differences and variables between all of them.  There is no the black community.  There are thousands of black communities but they are not some Borg like monolith who have assimilated all of their members into the same organism.   This is one thing I can't stand about liberals.  They act like all minorities are clones of each other who all think and feel the same way about every issue(incidentally, that would be the same way white liberals think those minorities should think and feel about every issue) and then they turn around and call anyone who disagrees with them close minded and racist.

You just described Republicans/Conservatives.