2018 Texas Volleyball

texasstrong12

Saw this Statesman article which may be of interest to you VB aficionados. 😊    As a casual follower,  surprised it is difficult to get top teams to come to Austin.

In each of the past two years, Texas has had its volleyball season ended by Stanford in the NCAA tournament. This fall, Texas and Stanford will reunite in September.

On Sept. 11, the Longhorns will travel to Palo Alto, Calif., for a rematch between two teams that will likely be top-ten programs when the AVCA releases its preseason poll on Wednesday. Three days later, Texas and Stanford will return to Austin for another non-conference match. Texas last participated in a home-and-home non-conference series in 2014 (Florida).

Texas head coach Jerritt Elliott said he and Stanford’s Kevin Hambly came up with this plan when they met up for dinner on the recruiting trail.

“He’s a big believer in scheduling tough as well. It was a very easy conversation,” Elliott said.

Elliott told the American-Statesman on Tuesday that he has had trouble getting top-flight teams — also known as schools that would benefit UT’s RPI and ticket sales — to commit to travelling to Austin. Of the nine non-conference matches that Texas has hosted the past two seasons, only three featured a ranked guest. Elliott also said he was looking into mini-tournaments in the future in which Texas would “go to one (high-level) team on a Tuesday and come back and play another team on a Friday or Saturday.”

Elliott added that another benefit of a home-and-home series with a school like Stanford is not having to provide guarantee payouts for lower-tier guests. Said UT’s 18th-year coach: “That way we’ll get more quality matches at home for our fans. Our goal is to schedule tough and learn from that and see where we are. It’s kind of double-sided.”

One team that Elliott said he may try to work out a home-and-home series with? Northern Iowa.

The Panthers have reached the NCAA tournament in 10 of the last 12 seasons, so playing the Missouri Valley Conference stalwarts wouldn’t hurt UT’s RPI. Northern Iowa’s longtime coach is also the mother of Texas freshman libero Sydney Petersen. Petersen’s twin sister, Baylee, is an outside hitter at Northern Iowa.

“We’re both pretty competitive, so I think we’d like it and we’d fight about it for a little bit,” Sydney Petersen said of potentially playing her sister. “It’d be fun.”

https://www.hookem.com/2018/08/07/double-date-with-stanford-could-signal-a-change-in-how-texas-handles-its-volleyball-scheduling/

39 minutes ago, torre said:

Saw this Statesman article which may be of interest to you VB aficionados. 😊    As a casual follower,  surprised it is difficult to get top teams to come to Austin.

In each of the past two years, Texas has had its volleyball season ended by Stanford in the NCAA tournament. This fall, Texas and Stanford will reunite in September.

On Sept. 11, the Longhorns will travel to Palo Alto, Calif., for a rematch between two teams that will likely be top-ten programs when the AVCA releases its preseason poll on Wednesday. Three days later, Texas and Stanford will return to Austin for another non-conference match. Texas last participated in a home-and-home non-conference series in 2014 (Florida).

Texas head coach Jerritt Elliott said he and Stanford’s Kevin Hambly came up with this plan when they met up for dinner on the recruiting trail.

“He’s a big believer in scheduling tough as well. It was a very easy conversation,” Elliott said.

Elliott told the American-Statesman on Tuesday that he has had trouble getting top-flight teams — also known as schools that would benefit UT’s RPI and ticket sales — to commit to travelling to Austin. Of the nine non-conference matches that Texas has hosted the past two seasons, only three featured a ranked guest. Elliott also said he was looking into mini-tournaments in the future in which Texas would “go to one (high-level) team on a Tuesday and come back and play another team on a Friday or Saturday.”

Elliott added that another benefit of a home-and-home series with a school like Stanford is not having to provide guarantee payouts for lower-tier guests. Said UT’s 18th-year coach: “That way we’ll get more quality matches at home for our fans. Our goal is to schedule tough and learn from that and see where we are. It’s kind of double-sided.”

One team that Elliott said he may try to work out a home-and-home series with? Northern Iowa.

The Panthers have reached the NCAA tournament in 10 of the last 12 seasons, so playing the Missouri Valley Conference stalwarts wouldn’t hurt UT’s RPI. Northern Iowa’s longtime coach is also the mother of Texas freshman libero Sydney Petersen. Petersen’s twin sister, Baylee, is an outside hitter at Northern Iowa.

“We’re both pretty competitive, so I think we’d like it and we’d fight about it for a little bit,” Sydney Petersen said of potentially playing her sister. “It’d be fun.”

https://www.hookem.com/2018/08/07/double-date-with-stanford-could-signal-a-change-in-how-texas-handles-its-volleyball-scheduling/

Scheduling hard opponents have always been historically tough for Texas

That was why for a few years Texas has played opponents such as the Italian A2 team, the Israeli national team and Chinese professional clubs during the season. Just a shortage of teams willing to come to Austin

I suspect one of the reasons is that Texas is geographically isolated of consistently top teams. For teams ranked in the top 20, it's hard to fly to Austin and find another quality opponent for the weekend within driving distance. Otherwise they'd be breaking the budget. This is the exact problem Hawaii encounters.

• Like 1

Wow, preseason #3.  Much higher than I thought.

Stanford (43)
Nebraska (20)
Texas
Minnesota
Kentucky
PSU
Florida (1)
BYU
Wisconsin
Southern Cal

Texas faces:

#1 Stanford twice (home and road)
#5 Kentucky (home)
#7 Florida (neutral)
#9 Wisconsin (road)
#16 Baylor (home and road)
#18 Oregon (neutral)
#21 Iowa State (home and road)
RV Kansas (home and road)

Other than Texas State and High Point, that's a good non-conf schedule - 2 top 10 teams on the road, 2 top 10 teams at home, 1 top 10 and 1 top 20 team at a neutral site.

Edited by Js1

I'm really hoping setting will improve between:

-An entire spring semester of rest/light workouts for Shook

-A nice European trip to bond and improve connections

-An entire full summer with the coaching staff instead of playing club and showing up 3 weeks before the season started

-A full year under her belt for the pace of the college game and familiarity with all of her hitters

On 8/9/2018 at 8:34 AM, Js1 said:

I'm really hoping setting will improve between:

-An entire spring semester of rest/light workouts for Shook

-A nice European trip to bond and improve connections

-An entire full summer with the coaching staff instead of playing club and showing up 3 weeks before the season started

-A full year under her belt for the pace of the college game and familiarity with all of her hitters

I mean, it has to, right?

19 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It wasn't great, but I guess it wasn't awful either.  Or was it?

I really thought a lot of her poor setting was due to the piss-poor passing.... I don't think Shook was able to put up consistent out-of-system balls to the left pin because the passes were soooo far off the net. 

Shook eventually developed a good connection with Chiaka, but I think a lot of it had to do with Chi being so athletic and able to adjust to her sets. 

Right pin setting was always a struggle...Ebony needed a particular set to actually do damage to the ball...Yaazie did as well....and the constant switching of those 2 players in the beginning of the season never allowed her to develop a good connection with either IMO. 

We will find of out soon whether it's better passing that improves her setting or if it's a year of experience....or hopefully both. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

I really thought a lot of her poor setting was due to the piss-poor passing.... I don't think Shook was able to put up consistent out-of-system balls to the left pin because the passes were soooo far off the net. 

Shook eventually developed a good connection with Chiaka, but I think a lot of it had to do with Chi being so athletic and able to adjust to her sets. 

Right pin setting was always a struggle...Ebony needed a particular set to actually do damage to the ball...Yaazie did as well....and the constant switching of those 2 players in the beginning of the season never allowed her to develop a good connection with either IMO. 

We will find of out soon whether it's better passing that improves her setting or if it's a year of experience....or hopefully both. 

Yep, yep. Agreed.  So hard to sort the poor passing from setting.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Observations -

Shook's connections with Brionne and MoJo are really good.  MoJo looks good and Brionne is a beast.  Her sets to the RS hitters were really good as well.  Didn't see many slide sets but the MB all rotated between the two teams.

Pencil in Logan/Micaya on the left and Yazzie on the right.  But Yazzie better be careful, because Luketic looked good, blocking and hitting, from the RS.  I think Luketic is probably just going to slide right into the RS after Yazzie graduates. 

Petersen had the black jersey and looked comfortable.  Autumn's serve looked better.

Opening day lineup is probably:

S - Shook
MB - Johnson
MB - Butler
OH - White
OH - Eggleston
RS - Bedhart-Gani
L - Petersen