Voter ID and Digital Passports

lmao

Voter ID and Digital Passports  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you stand on these two issues?

• I support both voter ID and a digital passport
    • I'm against both voter ID and a digital passport
    • I support voted ID and I'm against a digital passport
    • I'm against voter ID and I support a digital passport

I understand the nature of the US and why individual states have their own IDs but the passports should be modified to be a national ID and require that states accept them as valid forms of ID in all situations. Meaning that you can connect your Texas driver's license to this hypothetical national ID, and not carry your Texas ID. Or maybe passports need to remain as-is given the international need but create a voluntary national ID.

We also need to move to electronic IDs. Smart phones should have the ability to contain your IDs and other documents like insurance coverage or vehicle registrations. BUT this data should be segregated in the phone away from all other data. You have to be an idiot to hand an unlocked phone to a cop. I guarantee cops or DAs don't hand their unlocked phone to another cop.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We also need to move to electronic IDs. Smart phones should have the ability to contain your IDs and other documents like insurance coverage or vehicle registrations. BUT this data should be segregated in the phone away from all other data. You have to be an idiot to hand an unlocked phone to a cop. I guarantee cops or DAs don't hand their unlocked phone to another cop.

Much of this is already solved technically - strong cryptographic signatures provide easy information assurance and validation of authenticity, and phones generally support segmented userspace. My (android) phone has a separate work profile that uses different encryption keys and is completely firewalled off from the rest of the device at a BIOS level. My work can install their MDM client and all that shit on my phone, and they could even initiate a remote wipe action if my phone were lost/stolen, but it would only affect that "work" partition

edit: I think the iPhone equivalent to android profiles is to use a "container" (not docker, other container) for the app's data and permissions

Edited by Captainant

Why can’t I vote from my phone? Why do I need to go to some place and stand in line?

Everyone could have their own single use code, then could have 2-factor auth after face scan or touch id. Much more secure than having a 70+ year old volunteer check you in.