What are you doing Kyrsten

Zonahorn

9 minutes ago, 'stache said:

She doesn't deserve public harassment. It was fine with the trumpers because they publicly insult and belittle literally everyone they disagree with and published dangerous lies about them (pedo pizza place!). This lady is just obstructing to the point of frustration. Nowhere near the same thing.

They all do if they refuse to meet with their voters. 

If you aren't going to have town halls or give your constituents a chance to voice their disagreements with you in a proper setting, it's going to happen.  It comes with the territory of being an elected official. 

You just have to draw the line at a public setting vs. following them into the bathroom while filming them. 

• Hook 'Em 6

41 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Pffft

She ran away from DC to go to a high dollar fundraiser in Arizona yet she refuses to speak with constituents and refuses to hold Town Halls and has no one in any of her offices tasked to answer calls from voters?

She gets what she gets.

The group that followed her played a huge role in getting her elected and now she won’t even meet with them while she’s in town to meet with the big money folks??

I don’t give a fuck if they crawl under the stall. Fuck her bewigged attention seeking ass.

yup, it would be one thing if she was accessible to her actual constituents, not just her donors. But she has proven herself to be utter trash, so I'm fine with people treating like trash. Don't take one of the most important jobs in the country if you're not going to take it seriously, especially when those that you are supposed to represent are hurting.

• Hook 'Em 5

9 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

FA5jwgDXIAMOS_Q?format=jpg&name=medium

The full op-ed from which that quote was pulled kind of implies she might be just a little batshit, irrespective of any campaign contribution blowback or potential big money grift.

Spoiler

What’s Wrong With Kyrsten Sinema?
In 2003, Joe Lieberman, at the time one of the worst Democratic senators, traveled to Arizona to campaign for his party’s presidential nomination and was regularly greeted by antiwar demonstrators. “He’s a shame to Democrats,” said the organizer of a protest outside a Tucson hotel, a left-wing social worker named Kyrsten Sinema. “I don’t even know why he’s running. He seems to want to get Republicans voting for him — what kind of strategy is that?”

It was a good question, and one that many people would like to ask Sinema herself these days. People sometimes describe the Arizona senator as a centrist, but that seems the wrong term for someone who’s been working to derail some of the most broadly popular parts of Joe Biden’s agenda, corporate tax increases and reforms to lower prescription drug prices. Instead, she’s just acting as an obstructionist, seeming to bask in the approbation of Republicans who will probably never vote for her.

A “Saturday Night Live” skit this weekend captured her absurdist approach to negotiating the reconciliation bill that contains almost the entirety of Biden’s agenda. “What do I want from this bill?” asked the actress playing Sinema. “I’ll never tell.” It sometimes seems as if what Sinema wants is for people to sit around wondering what Sinema wants.

When Sinema ran for Senate, the former left-wing firebrand reportedly told her advisers that she hoped to be the next John McCain, an independent force willing to buck her own party. Voting against a $15 minimum wage this year, she gave a thumbs down — accompanied by an obnoxious little curtsy — that seemed meant to recall the gesture McCain made when he voted against repealing key measures of the Affordable Care Act in 2017.

But people admired McCain because they felt he embodied a consistent set of values, a straight-talking Captain America kind of patriotism. Despite his iconoclastic image, he was mostly a deeply conservative Republican; as CNN’s Harry Enten points out, on votes where the parties were split, he sided with his party about 90 percent of the time.

Sinema, by contrast, breaks with her fellow Democrats much more often. There hasn’t been a year since she entered Congress, Enten wrote, when she’s voted with her party more than 75 percent of the time. But what really makes her different from McCain is that nobody seems to know what she stands for.

“We need to make health care more affordable, lower prescription drug prices, and fix the problems in the system — not go back to letting insurance companies call all the shots,” she tweeted in 2018. Yet Sinema reportedly objects to the Democrats’ plan to allow the federal government to negotiate drug prices for Medicare recipients and even opposes a scaled-back version of the policy put forward by some House moderates. She voted against the Trump tax cuts in the House but now seems to oppose undoing any of them. According to The New York Times, she’s “privately told colleagues she will not accept any corporate or income tax rate increases.”

Why? An easy explanation would be money; she could just be protecting her campaign donors. But as Matthew Yglesias points out, in recent cycles small-dollar Democratic donors, who tend to be to the left of Democratic voters overall, have showered the party’s Senate candidates with cash. If Sinema tanks the Biden presidency, it’s unlikely to be great for her fund-raising.

So I think it’s entirely possible that Sinema’s motives are sincere, because she’s come to believe in bipartisanship for its own sake, divorced from any underlying policy goals. To understand why, it’s worth reading Sinema’s one book-length explication of her political philosophy, her 2009 “Unite and Conquer: How to Build Coalitions That Win — and Last.”

In “Unite and Conquer,” Sinema describes entering the Republican-controlled Arizona State House as a strident progressive, accomplishing nothing, being miserable and then recalibrating so that she could collaborate with her Republican colleagues. The book is vaguely New Agey. It places a lot of emphasis on deep breathing and extols what Sinema calls “Enso politics,” after a Zen term for a circle symbolizing enlightenment.

Sinema describes finding self-actualization in learning to “open up my own ways of thinking to embrace a much larger possibility than the strict party-line rhetoric I’d been using.” She figured out how to have meetings with lobbyists that were “relaxed and comfortable,” whether or not they agreed. Her “new ethos” helped her to get more done and, “perhaps most importantly,” be “much happier,” she writes.

“Unite and Conquer” was about operating in the minority, not exercising power. Now that she’s part of a governing majority, Sinema is, ironically, recapitulating some of the pathologies she boasted about transcending. Rather than being part of a productive coalition, she’s once again operating as a defiantly contrary outsider. The bipartisanship that was once a source of liberation for her seems to have become a rigid identity.

“I think she’s just really invested in that self-image, personally, as someone who stands up to her party, and I think she has really lost track of what is actually politically prudent, even to put aside the impact on the lives of millions of people,” said Emily Kirkland, executive director of Progress Arizona, a progressive group that worked to elect Sinema to the Senate. There’s a difference, it turns out, between being a maverick and being a narcissist.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, bolverk said:

The full op-ed from which that quote was pulled kind of implies she might be just a little batshit, irrespective of any campaign contribution blowback or potential big money grift.

Hide contents

What’s Wrong With Kyrsten Sinema? (snipped)

. . . Sinema’s motives [may be] sincere, because she’s come to believe in bipartisanship for its own sake, divorced from any underlying policy goals.

Sinema calls [her method] “Enso politics,” after a Zen term for a circle symbolizing enlightenment. 

Her “new ethos” helped her to get more done and, “perhaps most importantly,” be “much happier,” she writes.

Rather than being part of a productive coalition, she’s once again operating as a defiantly contrary outsider. The bipartisanship that was once a source of liberation for her seems to have become a rigid identity.

There’s a difference, it turns out, between being a maverick and being a narcissist.

Toxic narcissist. Makes sense.

IMHO she is either corrupt (with possible criminal liability) or legally incompetent. 

Can she be declared legally incompetent and removed? Serious question.

Great read. Highly recommend to all. 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 2:28 PM, Js1 said:

They all do if they refuse to meet with their voters. 

If you aren't going to have town halls or give your constituents a chance to voice their disagreements with you in a proper setting, it's going to happen.  It comes with the territory of being an elected official. 

You just have to draw the line at a public setting vs. following them into the bathroom while filming them. 

On 10/4/2021 at 2:44 PM, Bama Chick said:

Pffft

She ran away from DC to go to a high dollar fundraiser in Arizona yet she refuses to speak with constituents and refuses to hold Town Halls and has no one in any of her offices tasked to answer calls from voters?

She gets what she gets.

The group that followed her played a huge role in getting her elected and now she won’t even meet with them while she’s in town to meet with the big money folks??

I don’t give a fuck if they crawl under the stall. Fuck her bewigged attention seeking ass.

i feel like there was an opportunity missed vis-a-vis taylor hamm on this thread.

2 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

I doubt she runs for re-election in 2024. 

How does she think that future lobbying gig is going to work? Who is going to hire her? Democrats won't approach her and Republicans would rather hear from one of their own.

There’s always room for a “moderate” on wing nut TV. She wants money…by any means necessary.

19 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

I doubt she runs for re-election in 2024. 

How does she think that future lobbying gig is going to work? Who is going to hire her? Democrats won't approach her and Republicans would rather hear from one of their own.

Yeah I’m officially now at the “she’s not going to run again” phase. There’s not giving a fuck and there’s REALLY not giving a fuck. 

15 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

Rep Gallego damn near ran against Mark Kelly this cycle. This bitch is toast in 2024

Damn. Not from 'zona, so looked up this guy. That's a pretty impressive fucking resume. Synema might actually be toast if he runs, particularly as the democratic machine will have zero problems throwing all their support behind Gallego, incumbent Synema or not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Or if she's even planning on running at all. I'm sure Fox would pay her a ton to be the democrat who does nothing but talk shit about other democrats. 

she seems like the type to like verbal bukkake, which is basically what FN does to anyone labeled a D. she'd probably offer to wear a different pair of glasses each time

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Damn. Not from 'zona, so looked up this guy. That's a pretty impressive fucking resume. Synema might actually be toast if he runs, particularly as the democratic machine will have zero problems throwing all their support behind Gallego, incumbent Synema or not. 

Gallego is awesome.