ERCOT Urging For Energy Conservation

Vic Mackey

Ahh yea just stack those heat stroke death bodies over there.

Here?

No that's by the Covid deaths, not there over there.

Oh here?

Yes

What's this stack I'm putting them by?

That's the hypothermia and exposure deaths, we want to line those all up together...weather related ya know.  

Ahh got it

Keep it neat and orderly now.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Ahh yea just stack those heat stroke death bodies over there.

Here?

No that's by the Covid deaths, not there over there.

Oh here?

Yes

What's this stack I'm putting them by?

That's the hypothermia and exposure deaths, we want to line those all up together...weather related ya know.  

Ahh got it

Keep it neat and orderly now.  

Winter storms only killed ~200 folks, I'm sure the hottest summer on record (if the hype is accurate) won't strain our grid at all amirite?

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

I'm sure the hottest summer on record (if the hype is accurate)

It's the hottest summer on record every fucking year (yes - I'm being hyperbolic - but still). Just another thing that these morons should anticipate and prepare for that they likely don't.

"I mean, what are the odds it will ever be THAT hot again?"

Fast forward a year...

"Well alright fellas - we had the hottest September EVER but that's never going to happen again, right?"

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It's the hottest summer on record every fucking year (yes - I'm being hyperbolic - but still). Just another thing that these morons should anticipate and prepare for that they likely don't.

"I mean, what are the odds it will ever be THAT hot again?"

Fast forward a year...

"Well alright fellas - we had the hottest September EVER but that's never going to happen again, right?"

Notably, it'll be the hottest summer since 2011 - which was also the last year the grid was put into a critical state by extreme weather. And we didn't implement those mitigations to improve the grid back then and it didn't end in dead Texans or anything, so this summer should be just peachy

1 hour ago, Updawg said:

I have a bad feeling about this summer. Definitely planning on getting the fuck out out here at a moment’s notice if need be. The snow storm was one thing. 100+ with no power will really suck.

I mean, we’re all screwed right?  I guess I should look into a generator, although I’m sure they are price gouging us already. I am not in a position (literally, my house faces the wrong way) for solar. God dammit. 

Edited by Biff Tannen
also, even if I had a massive generator, I just want the A/C to work and I have no idea how I would even attempt to get power to the A/C

50 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

also, even if I had a massive generator, I just want the A/C to work and I have no idea how I would even attempt to get power to the A/C

You can probably get some kind of cooling unit that sits inside the house - run an extension cord out to the generator, and run your fridge and that little cooler off of that.

We are liable to turn into fucking Iraq or some other 3rd world country, where we have intermittent power throughout the day.

The people running the show are going to fuck around and find out if they aren't prepared for this summer. 2022 is around the corner, and people still haven't forgotten that little winter storm we had.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

You can probably get some kind of cooling unit that sits inside the house - run an extension cord out to the generator, and run your fridge and that little cooler off of that.

We are liable to turn into fucking Iraq or some other 3rd world country, where we have intermittent power throughout the day.

The people running the show are going to fuck around and find out if they aren't prepared for this summer. 2022 is around the corner, and people still haven't forgotten that little winter storm we had.

I'm kicking myself for not remembering the story from my brother, Mr. Robert Earl Keen:

Paraphrased - "there were these 20 Mexicans sitting around drinking Schlitz beer...and I thought, "man, I haven't had a Schlitz beer since elementary school."  And he said, "wait it gets better!  There was one of those long, orange extension cords that came out of the house, it was plugged into the house somewhere, one of those really long ones, and it came out of the house and out into the yard and up onto a table and it was plugged into a window unit air conditioner..."  This does not happen in Tennessee.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Somebody's gonna have to go back and get a shitload of windmills!

iu.png

Of course, the bulk of the generation offline right now is....thermal.  So, you know.....not wind.

No incentive to build peaking generation, none is built.  Inherent peril of an "energy only" market.  Predicted, and predictable.  For the 100th time, this is the market working exactly as designed.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Of course, the bulk of the generation offline right now is....thermal.  So, you know.....not wind.

No incentive to build peaking generation, none is built.  Inherent peril of an "energy only" market.  Predicted, and predictable.  For the 100th time, this is the market working exactly as designed.

I really just wanted to get some slim pickens/Blazing Saddles into this thread and couldn't figure an angle on a #6.

I had this for lunch and could probably solve some of our energy issues right now if somone's got a clothespin and the machinery to harness the potential -

5C9DF567-D7CB-4887-8C14-0255AC150108.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

I really just wanted to get some slim pickens/Blazing Saddles into this thread and couldn't figure an angle on a #6.

I had this for lunch and could probably solve some of our energy issues right now if somone's got a clothespin and the machinery to harness the potential -

5C9DF567-D7CB-4887-8C14-0255AC150108.jpeg

We’re asked to conserve electricity, not water and toilet paper.  Flush away mi amigo.

Does this mean we should put the blankets back on the windows?

They deserve pitchforks and torches if they can’t keep up with the load, but the email did remind me to make my afternoon round through the house to turn off all the fucking lights because I’m the only one in the house capable or qualified to do it. I wonder how much is of our electrical shortage is due to our wives and kids?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

What a clusterfuck.  We should be able to negotiate a fixed price contract with utilities that we only pay them if they provide x days/months of uninterrupted service (excluding local outages due to transformers, rogue squirrels etc).  

Now now now, we can't go putting service level agreements on critical utilities! That would be BUSINESS KILLING REGULATION RAHRBAGHLGLGLG

• Like 1