ERCOT Urging For Energy Conservation

Vic Mackey

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It's not even the hottest part of the year yet. I really should invest in the whole home generator. 

Good luck getting those fuckers to call you back. They're still working on all the orders from a year ago.

1 hour ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I assume that is showing energy companies getting higher rates during peak demand times? If so, how do those costs get passed along? I’m sure it’s the consumer in the end but do we all have peak usage stuff in our contracts?

enron was doing this shit in california. shutting down plants to drive up prices. this shit can't be happening in Texas right? 

fucking lulz.

https://www.shortform.com/blog/enron-california-energy-crisis/

Enron took advantage of the rules to manipulate markets, to the detriment of consumers:

• Energy producers kept power plants off to spike prices.
Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

enron was doing this shit in california. shutting down plants to drive up prices. this shit can't be happening in Texas right? 

fucking lulz.

of course it can.  A bunch of assholes and incompetents are running the system/state.    

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, immamac said:

Damn, that's a lot of extra do you draw anything off the grid or does your battery last for days? 

The battery only drains to 75% usually. I have net metering so I don't need the battery. I do like shifting my grid usage to later in the day to lower the strain. But, if I were to let the battery run down, it would essentially last forever so long as the sun comes out. It'll run about two days on battery only with conservation. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

The battery only drains to 75% usually. I have net metering so I don't need the battery. I do like shifting my grid usage to later in the day to lower the strain. But, if I were to let the battery run down, it would essentially last forever so long as the sun comes out. It'll run about two days on battery only with conservation. 

Where do you store the battery to keep temp swings from affecting performance?

1 hour ago, Horns99 said:

Yeah, b/c I’m sure a natural gas company is going to get rich off real time Ercot prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what the fuck do natural gas power plants use to generate electricity? when more demand is needed, more power plants go online to provide supply for the demand. when more plants go online, more fucking natural gas is needed to power those plants. i'm going to let you read up on how natural gas is priced in the wholesale market.

education, how does it work?

• Haha 1

what the fuck do natural gas power plants use to generate electricity? when more demand is needed, more power plants go online to provide supply for the demand. when more plants go online, more fucking natural gas is needed to power those plants. i'm going to let you read up on how natural gas is priced in the wholesale market.
education, how does it work?

Education, huh just a few questions for you- what was the price of HSC or Katy if you prefer for the weekend on Friday compared to June or July prices?
How was that Basis to HH relative to how it’s been the mast month or so ?

Where do you think most of Comstocks natty gas sales occur ? Any idea where their transports gets them? Oh, what about how much they sold IFERC vs saved to sell in the spot market ?

I’ll let you read up, I do this shit every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, mdmost said:

It's not even the hottest part of the year yet. I really should invest in the whole home generator.   windmill

FIFY

17 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

In all seriousness, a guy that works for me had a new house built about 2 years ago, included solar and 2 power walls in his garage.  Not sure it will ever pay for itself but he felt good about it and is covered during short outages. 

I’ve seen some knowledgeable folks speculating that we really should be keeping our AC at 80 or above, and ERCOT is just hoping that because it’s a weekend, we can skate by and enough businesses being closed for the weekend will help,  this was based on what they saw Friday afternoon.  Basically if it was happening Monday, they’d be asking for higher temps over the following days.

14 hours ago, Updawg said:

I recently bought a generator. Probably should buy a windows unit.

The newish inverter models are pricier, but use substantially less power. Using one of those would free up some generator capacity for other devices. 

19 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Fuck conservation, my shit's on 72 and I ain't raising it.  But we're on the Entergy grid anyway so don't have to put up with y'alls ghetto ass shit.

This upstairs at 72 for the kids and downstairs 74 until it’s time to sleep and then it’s 70. My most expensive bill last year was ~$200 so the house seems efficient. 

Also after trying Griddy the summer before the freezeapoclypse and spending $400 in two days I locked in on a 4 year plan that makes me look a genius now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

We typically keep ours at 74 when we're home and that's fine to me. I could go to 76, but higher than that starts to suck. Seems like everyone else I know keeps theirs at 68-70 which seems insane to me. No thanks to $500 electricity bills.

Thankfully my new house has more shade and badass windows. We'll see how that works out during the Summer months.

58 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I used to think we had a mess of a grid. Now I think we have a mess of a grid and people trying to make it snow inside.

Don’t worry. I leave Houston for at least a month between July and August for Wyoming and set the house to 82 the entire time. Doing my part. 

9 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Wife keeps ours between 76-78

I’ve lost the battle and war 

Luckily, I was able to make our whole upstairs my theater/mancave/office/workshop. So she gets to keep it 73 downstairs and there's no more bitching. 

Unfortunately it took me 9 years of living in the house to figure that out. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I’ve seen some knowledgeable folks speculating that we really should be keeping our AC at 80 or above, and ERCOT is just hoping that because it’s a weekend, we can skate by and enough businesses being closed for the weekend will help,  this was based on what they saw Friday afternoon.  Basically if it was happening Monday, they’d be asking for higher temps over the following days.

I wish these Californians would stop bringing their politics to Texas!!

Edited by closetohumping
  • Haha 1