ERCOT Urging For Energy Conservation

Vic Mackey

15 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The little supply/demand tracker/estimator on the ERCOT webpage has projected demand exceeding supply from about 2:00 to 5:00.

wayward pines GIF

That’s actually been the case the morning of for like 10 days since May 1. Normally, mothballed power or something like it will show up and the day will be fine. Today, with wind almost being zero, I don’t know. This is all very 2011-ish and it really sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That’s actually been the case the morning of for like 10 days since May 1. Normally, mothballed power or something like it will show up and the day will be fine. Today, with wind almost being zero, I don’t know. This is all very 2011-ish and it really sucks. 

Our population has also increased by almost 6 million people since 2011.  Awesome.

I'm putting this in here as a heads up; my DIL's dad is a big cheese at LCRA, and he sent this to me.. the supply/demand issues have been in the paper the past few days, but I find it interesting that he's sending this to me today... not sure he would if this one wasn't more of a possibility.

Since this is Daily Texan, I'm simply posting this as a heads up... and that's the only reason.  Make of it what you will.

ERCOT is showing demand exceeding available generation today from about 1pm to 7pm so they will cut load under contract first and then roll blackouts as required.

Wind is forecasted to be next to nothing at this time which is the problem.  If wind picks up it will be ok, but don’t be too surprised if areas lose power today.

Fuel up that generator [phd]!

(I just got a new 15KW unit (and a lot of electrical work done so the house can hook up to it) so that's what he's addressing).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

This has to be the hottest summer in my lifetime. Completely unbearable or sustainable. We might have some serious water issues this fall.

I've been thinking the same thing. Usually it's not like this till mid-late July and August. Instead it's been full on Texas summer since early June. It seems like it just went from 85-88 degrees one week to 98-101 degrees the next, I think the worst part is the lack of rain though. I've had some rain forecast a couple of times and even heard thunder but it just never comes. Since early June I think I've had about 20-30 mins of good rain and I may be overestimating that.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Viper said:

I've been thinking the same thing. Usually it's not like this till mid-late July and August. Instead it's been full on Texas summer since early June. It seems like it just went from 85-88 degrees one week to 98-101 degrees the next, I think the worst part is the lack of rain though. I've had some rain forecast a couple of times and even heard thunder but it just never comes. Since early June I think I've had about 20-30 mins of good rain and I may be overestimating that.

My water bill was $436 last month -- just trying to keep my landscaping alive.  This is as bad as 2011.  

This has to be the hottest summer in my lifetime. Completely unbearable or sustainable. We might have some serious water issues this fall.

2011 was worse in terms of temperature extremes (although today and this past weekend might have something to say about that) and drought.

The average temp for this year is higher because we’ve been at August temp levels with very little relief since mid/late May, and flirting for the 100 degree line on a daily basis for about a month straight now, again with almost no break.

14 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

My water bill was $436 last month -- just trying to keep my landscaping alive.  This is as bad as 2011.  

Same here. Houston has at least been saved that our water supply is in good shape.

I had some rain last night in Houston and was thankful for it. Saved me from watering for a few days.

37 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

either you werent around for 2011, or were doing something that didnt invoive being outside that summer (or drunk and at the pool)  

we hit 100  NINETY fucking times that summer.  

The month of July we hit 100 every day except 2 and BOTH of those days it was 99.

Aug was flat out miserable.  Again, only 2 days that month didnt 100....  and we had 18 days that 105 or higher. but the worst was  hitting 112 on the 28th

we were in full drought mode from then until sometime in 2013 when we finally got enough rain to fill up Lake Travis.

This summer has sucked thats for sure, but so far 2011 brings the pain

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

either you werent around for 2011, or were doing something that didnt invoive being outside that summer (or drunk and at the pool)  

we hit 100  NINETY fucking times that summer.  

The month of July we hit 100 every day except 2 and BOTH of those days it was 99.

Aug was flat out miserable.  Again, only 2 days that month didnt 100....  and we had 18 days that 105 or higher. but the worst was  hitting 112 on the 28th

we were in full drought mode from then until sometime in 2013 when we finally got enough rain to fill up Lake Travis.

This summer has sucked thats for sure, but so far 2011 brings the pain

We are well on track to beat the 2011 streak, but let's pray for a tropical storm or two or three.

17 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Same here. Houston has at least been saved that our water supply is in good shape.

I had some rain last night in Houston and was thankful for it. Saved me from watering for a few days.

We got a ton of rain overnight at my house in central Houston. I had a hard time sleeping because it was just so nice to lay there listening to it rain. We also had a bunch of rain last Thirsday afternoon just as the Astros games was done. Feel bad for the folks that haven't gotten any as it looks like these storms have been pretty localized.

49 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

Austin set the highest monthly temp on record yesterday. the prior version was 7/23 IIRC. it was the hottest June on record and already is on track for the hottest July on record

2011 was bad but in many parts of Texas there was ample rainfall in winter 2010-2011 and into spring. Did not get that in 2022.

1980 was really bad, much worse than 2011.

2015-2021 saw many in Texas with flooding rains and generally nice conditions. Seems we are back into a dry period this year. It happens. Embrace it and toughen up. It's what makes Texas, Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I don't see the point in acting like 2011 was extremely hotter than 2022. It also depends on where you are. Houston June 2022 was hotter than June 2011.  

To me 2011 was worse because the drought was worse today (so far.)   In Oct 2011, 88% of the state was in exceptional drought. As comparison "only" 16% of the state is that status right now.

2022 - Copy.JPG

2011 - Copy.JPG

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

2011 was bad but in many parts of Texas there was ample rainfall in winter 2010-2011 and into spring. Did not get that in 2022.

1980 was really bad, much worse than 2011.

2015-2021 saw many in Texas with flooding rains and generally nice conditions. Seems we are back into a dry period this year. It happens. Embrace it and toughen up. It's what makes Texas, Texas.

Embrace it and toughen up! Of course if you can't afford a $436 water bill for your landscaping or a 15KW unit (and a lot of electrical work done so the house can hook up to it) then you're pretty well fucked and might die. That is indeed what makes Texas, Texas.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Someone turn the fans on. Dispatchable at 85%. Is that a normal number? Seems like it should be higher.

image.thumb.png.2615a5bd87b84e2d1a471fcf8881b40e.png

Wind is only providing % of capacity?  Send some folks out to west Texas to blow on those things...

The ones down here by Corpus must be the only ones working.

38 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

We are well on track to beat the 2011 streak, but let's pray for a tropical storm or two or three.

Nothing's changing until that high moves - no storm is getting close to the TX border with its current position. And long range models don't have it moving an inch - hell some show it actually allowing more heat to build over Texas. Let's hope they're all wrong, lots of dead cattle probably if not. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Rage+1 1

space city weather:

Sunday’s heat was extreme for the greater Houston area. College Station, for example, set a daily record for July 10 by reaching 111 degrees. This was also its second hottest day on record, in any month, ever. In Houston, four of the first 10 days of July have now recorded 100-degree days. Sunday’s mark of 105 degrees tied the record for the hottest degree for any day in July. Anyway, here are the maximum temperature records set or tied on Sunday:

City of Houston: 105 degrees (101, set in 1998)
Houston Hobby: 104 degrees (100, set in 1964)
Galveston: 96 degrees (96, set in 1931)
College Station: 111 degrees (109, set in 1917)

It is worth noting that all of these locations also set or tied minimum temperature records on Sunday. For example, the low temperature in Houston never fell below 82 degrees. So overall you just experienced the warmest July day in nearly 150 years of records along the upper Texas coast.

houston at 105 already tying it's hottest july day ever, with another 3 weeks to go in the month. 

8 minutes ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

This is when some realize having a lawn is a luxury.

lawns were invented by a french duke who wanted to show off by having a bunch of land fallow all the time.  so, yeah. 

Just now, Captainant said:

meanwhile, there's office buildings with one or two people on the whole floor, and it's kept at a chilly 68 degrees. Business electricity usage is far more wasteful than individual usage, and yet they're given a pass.

This is infuriating.  My office is in the Domain and there's probably fewer than 50 people there total.  Then you have the stores in the Domain that have their doors open and blast the AC to entice people to come inside.  That should be illegal.

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

This is infuriating.  My office is in the Domain and there's probably fewer than 50 people there total.  Then you have the stores in the Domain that have their doors open and blast the AC to entice people to come inside.  That should be illegal.

Fuck the Domain

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

meanwhile, there's office buildings with one or two people on the whole floor, and it's kept at a chilly 68 degrees. Business electricity usage is far more wasteful than individual usage, and yet they're given a pass.

ERCOT: Conserve power today

Sounds like a good day to sit in the nice cool office with my door shut and enjoy the free AC 

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Hypothetically speaking, I wonder how much demand would be saved if some enterprising citizen burned down all the Bitcoin mines in the state.

shhh....you're gonna give immaculate vibes the vapors

Best Fred Sanford Heart Attack GIFs | Gfycat

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Okie State said:

So what happens when the blue line crosses the purple line? Do we implode?

Just talked to my wife and her office is blasting the AC at about 58 degrees so they're doing their part.

well you've got to get the room cold enough so you won't be uncomfortable when the power goes out

• Like 1
  • Haha 1