ERCOT Urging For Energy Conservation

Vic Mackey

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

meanwhile, there's office buildings with one or two people on the whole floor, and it's kept at a chilly 68 degrees. Business electricity usage is far more wasteful than individual usage, and yet they're given a pass.

My office isn't empty, but I literally keep a hoodie at my desk because they keep it so fucking cold in there. Makes no sense to me.

5 minutes ago, hookem17 said:

The grid condition is now “yellow,” which means “energy conservation is requested.”

On the graphs it shows a drop of 4MW right at 2pm 7/11/22. I wonder what went off line to cause that.

Edited by CHEF DIESEL

That’s actually been the case the morning of for like 10 days since May 1. Normally, mothballed power or something like it will show up and the day will be fine. Today, with wind almost being zero, I don’t know. This is all very 2011-ish and it really sucks. 

We're driving to Santa Fe today and very few windmills are turning. Good luck surly.

1 minute ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

On the graphs it shows a drop of 4MW right at 2pm 7/11/22. I wonder what went off line to cause that.

nothing. it's corrected.

7 minutes ago, hookem17 said:

The grid condition is now “yellow,” which means “energy conservation is requested.”

Think this was planned and not based on actual conditions. 

24 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My office feels like 50 today. I asked to have the temp raised because I'm uncomfortable but I was told that it creates too many problems to ask building maintenance to intervene. I was advised to bring a coat to work.

Americans are literally the worst. So wasteful and self-centered. “It’s a hassle to be responsible, so fuck it!” should be printed on our currency. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

My office isn't empty, but I literally keep a hoodie at my desk because they keep it so fucking cold in there. Makes no sense to me.

I wear a sweater everytime I go in and since basically everyone is work from home now, there’s never more than 1 or 2 other people there.

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The a/c at my job is set at a constant 58 degrees. Its always funny wearing a jacket into work from the car

I don't know about commercial leases but I assume that the lease cost include utility costs? Crank it down if I'm not paying...  Lived in KL for a few years and the company paid our utilities so we had all the A/C's set to 17C and slept under down comforters...

2 minutes ago, Grimas said:

I don't know about commercial leases but I assume that the lease cost include utility costs? Crank it down if I'm not paying...  Lived in KL for a few years and the company paid our utilities so we had all the A/C's set to 17C and slept under down comforters...

17C? What does that translate into Freedom Degrees?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

In Bergen, Norway today. Took the train from Oslo through the mountains to get here. I can verify it is awesome not being in Texas right now. Suck it surly.

wife out walking the dogga today. 

(yes there are thongs on the beach)

image.thumb.png.9eecb652cf608cc7db64dd5904c7b6e1.png

• Like 1

Talked to ERCOT today and they’re seeing conservation across the board from the market today and therefore less usage than forecasted and no chance of blackouts. It’s going to be a tough 2-6 more weeks nonetheless. The big difference between 2011 and now is that the high pressure dome isn’t fully covering Houston. It does some days and not others, including what they expect this coming weekend for a while. If Houston gets ongoing moisture and turns it occasionally into rain, it keeps the entire grid from blowing out. Let’s hope for more of that, especially in afternoons. 

31 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Austin Energy doing it's thing.

image.thumb.png.1503ccc5c702c2acdae41c230ae33376.png

While everyone was yelling about ERCOT, etc(rightly so statewide) Austin Energy was a lot of the problem during freezepocalypse in Austin. They almost got off scot free for their shitty old infrastructure until the water fiasco.

• Hook 'Em 1