ERCOT Urging For Energy Conservation

Vic Mackey

3 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Lots of spiking the football for keeping homes with power and heat in the year 2022. Good job, I guess?

Ah, the turnaround. Nobody should celebrate. And I’m not sorry some here didn’t get a chance to do so. 

I'm glad it's mild and will largely have subsided by Saturday.  I'm glad I don't have to help a friend plan their parents otherwise preventable funeral this time around.  I don't anybody, even the most sadistic of my network, that was hoping this would be worse than last year's debacle.  

But I'm also not impressed that a state with a massive inventory of natural gas managed to keep its own heat on for a whole day.  We produce enough, we capture enough, we connect enough.  Let's not start sucking each other's dicks yet gents.  

It was an anomaly in that it probably won't get that cold for that long again for 20+ years.  When it does happen again we'll have similar issues.

Except when it happens sooner than that.

I remember a hellacious fish killing freeze in 83….then another in 89.

Indianola was wiped out by two hurricanes only a few years apart.

Shit happens. We should be prepared for it. The fact that this turned out to be a tropical storm instead of a Cat 5 doesn’t mean we succeeded at anything. It only proves we didn’t have a chance to find out if we failed.

I’m glad nobody is dying in their homes today. I would like that to be the expectation, not something we have to hope about.
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

You actually think that this freeze not being as bad as last year will "prove" that last year was an anomaly?

No. This year is irrelevant to last year. 

1 minute ago, WBT said:

It was an anomaly in that it probably won't get that cold for that long again for 20+ years.  When it does happen again we'll have similar issues.

This. What I said was pretty clear cut, wildcat. 

2 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

No. This year is irrelevant to last year. 

This. What I said was pretty clear cut, wildcat. 

I agree with the first part. Re: the second, you should be clearer with your language. When you say "this is going to be a non-event" and follow it with "and last year will be proven to be an anomaly," it indicates that you think the two are connected.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Except when it happens sooner than that.

I remember a hellacious fish killing freeze in 83….then another in 89.

Indianola was wiped out by two hurricanes only a few years apart.

Shit happens. We should be prepared for it. The fact that this turned out to be a tropical storm instead of a Cat 5 doesn’t mean we succeeded at anything. It only proves we didn’t have a chance to find out if we failed.

I’m glad nobody is dying in their homes today. I would like that to be the expectation, not something we have to hope about.

Rahm?

For those posting about self-congratulatory notions, I don’t have those. At all. A non-event is a non-event. I’m observing that some of you were ready to pounce on entities that have no business winterizing and are not culpable to last year’s shutdown. Some have misplaced, ignorant anger toward these entities, and some are out of state and love to lob bombs. 

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I agree with the first part. Re: the second, you should be clearer with your language. When you say "this is going to be a non-event" and follow it with "and last year will be proven to be an anomaly," it indicates that you think the two are connected.

I’m not going to argue with you about the impact of a comma, but I think one would infer my attempt at a connection only if that one were being presumptuous, and wanted me to make that connection. 

3 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Rahm?

For those posting about self-congratulatory notions, I don’t have those. At all. A non-event is a non-event. I’m observing that some of you were ready to pounce on entities that have no business winterizing and are not culpable to last year’s shutdown. Some have misplaced, ignorant anger toward these entities, and some are out of state and love to lob bombs. 

Some of us pounce on the entities who ARE culpable for last year's shutdown.  You might oughta pay attention to that, and not the the straw man that you think you just impressed folks by knocking it down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Some of us pounce on the entities who ARE culpable for last year's shutdown.  You might oughta pay attention to that, and not the the straw man that you think you just impressed folks by knocking it down.

Lol at the straw man accusation. Just read back the last few pages, Rahm. 

5 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Lol at the straw man accusation. Just read back the last few pages, Rahm

Is this a reference to something? Or are you just being really weird? Or is it both? 

Glad everyone is doing well with power. It would have been truly terrifying if this mild little front ended up causing wide spread problems. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, F250 said:

Thats not unusual at all. The tweet is a bit salacious by implying that this was part of the winterization effort when it is just a temporary measure being taken.

Most places just throw heavy duty tarp over the units.  It is enough to trap the heat and prevent the freezing of critical instruments.  It really isn't much.  It works

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Is this a reference to something? Or are you just being really weird? Or is it both? 

Glad everyone is doing well with power. It would have been truly terrifying if this mild little front ended up causing wide spread problems. 

wait I was told I was going to have Snowpocalypse 2 No-Electric Boogaloo...

5 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Most places just throw heavy duty tarp over the units.  It is enough to trap the heat and prevent the freezing of critical instruments.  It really isn't much.  It works

you expect Nick Wagner to understand thermodynamics?  or how a blanket works?

Just now, dcar00 said:

wait I was told I was going to have Snowpocalypse 2 No-Electric Boogaloo...

we're not out of it yet. the coldest temps are coming tonight. but yea, at worst we have a few hours of power outage and not days of shit.

if we get out unscathed, i'll have to hand it to the state leadership in getting the electric companies to finally do what they needed to do years ago. only took a few hundred deaths and billions of dollars in losses...

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

west campus just lost power. isolated event or sign of shit to come?

Likely a local event. A friend of mine oversees linework and said there are a shit ton of problems with ice, wind and trees taking out power lines which is the norm for days like this.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, F250 said:

Thats not unusual at all. The tweet is a bit salacious by implying that this was part of the winterization effort when it is just a temporary measure being taken.

I mean the plant head was touring a group of journalists around and showing them this as where part of the $670K of the recent winterization money went into this particular plant.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

we're not out of it yet. the coldest temps are coming tonight. but yea, at worst we have a few hours of power outage and not days of shit.

if we get out unscathed, i'll have to hand it to the state leadership in getting the electric companies to finally do what they needed to do years ago. only took a few hundred deaths and billions of dollars in losses...

the problem was 6 consecutive days of basically 20's or lower.  If we see that again it then we will know.  this wasn't going to be extended or cold enough.

that said I did hear of some relatives in Dallas that went out last night at 10:30 and didn't come up until Noon today.  not sure if anyone else has heard that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, F250 said:

Likely a local event. A friend of mine oversees linework and said there are a shit ton of problems with ice, wind and trees taking out power lines which is the norm for days like this.

makes sense.  they may have deployed repair teams to known problem areas to get it back up that fast.  Also, I think the ice on the roads isn't as bad this time for obvious reasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

I woke up and we had power but it was 58 degrees in my house this morning.  I assumed power must have gone off in the night at some point and come back on.   Waited a bit but the house couldn’t heat up past 60.  Checked furnace and it was running.  Was getting pissed until I check the outdoor unit and found the fan had iced over.  Used a stick to knock lose the ice so it could spin and now a house is warm again.  Thanks ERCOT!

25 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I mean the plant head was touring a group of journalists around and showing them this as where part of the $670K of the recent winterization money went into this particular plant.

Is that a bad thing?

12 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

I woke up and we had power but it was 58 degrees in my house this morning.  I assumed power must have gone off in the night at some point and come back on.   Waited a bit but the house couldn’t heat up past 60.  Checked furnace and it was running.  Was getting pissed until I check the outdoor unit and found the fan had iced over.  Used a stick to knock lose the ice so it could spin and now a house is warm again.  Thanks ERCOT!

install a heater for your heating unit. That is what the Surly 1% would do. 

58 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Man we are a skittish bunch of motherfuckers since last year.  Like abused children.

Praying that the sun doesn't come out and that the temperatures stay freezing so that our toilet snow supply is stable will do that to you.  And when it comes to power, and finding out that the power companies did fuck all after they were told to do something a decade earlier makes people skittish.  We just assumed in the early 2010s that they were fixing their stuff for cold weather.

Plus, I've got friends and family in the Houston area, and watching the whole hurricane thing play out more and more often makes me skittish about the weather in general.

3 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

To the dismay of many, this is going to be a non-event, and last year will be proven to be an anomaly. 

Yes, I am personally hoping my power will go out for 6 days straight, plunging my house into frigid temperatures, just to own Greg Abbott.

Could you be any more stupid?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

I'm reading above that a tarp over the equipment will take care of this.

45 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Here’s weird-ass Lobo, after a Board of Regents meeting he’ll tell us about later:

image.gif.3b3e417f0f2e1654c94259de51e5c5fd.gif

Yeah, I don’t think they have much to do with our electrical grid, but they are among the only competent political appointees by Abbott so there’s that.    But you do you, all-star

And RIP, Johnny Jacobs.  

50 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Praying that the sun doesn't come out and that the temperatures stay freezing so that our toilet snow supply is stable will do that to you.  And when it comes to power, and finding out that the power companies did fuck all after they were told to do something a decade earlier makes people skittish.  We just assumed in the early 2010s that they were fixing their stuff for cold weather.

Plus, I've got friends and family in the Houston area, and watching the whole hurricane thing play out more and more often makes me skittish about the weather in general.

No doubt.  I'm right there in the skittish category.  It's weird that a storm like this one today wouldn't have raised an eyebrow before last year, though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Cement said:

About 40,000 customers without power statewide; down from about 70K this morning.

ERCOT and PUC doing exceptional work.

https://poweroutage.us/area/state/texas

Can we try not to shower praise on the agencies that caused hundreds of Texans to die for no reason simply because they managed to do their job under pretty basic circumstances this time. It’s fucking weird

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

install a heater for your heating unit. That is what the Surly 1% would do. 

Isn't that actually a common option for heat pumps (at least older ones) in colder climates? They have a resistance heat strip as a backup in case it gets too cold for the pump to efficiently draw any heat from the outside air. 

14 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Can we try not to shower praise on the agencies that caused hundreds of Texans to die for no reason simply because they managed to do their job under pretty basic circumstances this time. It’s fucking weird

Yeah, but then Porterhouse wouldn't have much jerk-off material.  

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yes, I am personally hoping my power will go out for 6 days straight, plunging my house into frigid temperatures, just to own Greg Abbott.

Could you be any more stupid?

I’m guessing you didn’t read my follow up posts and you don’t care.