These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

Compression to this manageable degree is a bother to those who are not driving the few valuable modern guitar markets that are growing. And many of that lot might agree the gains far outweigh the losses, or "loss," really, because they too are, more and more, seeking out solid state solutions.

Fender Tone Master at the door should have told you.

The Marshall Origin 50 showed up yesterday just as we were leaving for my birthday dinner. That's a special kind of torture, enjoying time with friends with the anticipation of a brand new amp to plug in waiting at home. Wisely I left it in the still vacant apartment above the bar, so when the party wound up there several of us were able to go upstairs to check it out.

My impression is that it's a solid, honest amplifier. It reminds me a lot of a Blues Jr in the way the gain and master volume controls interact to dial in the crispy Marshall crunch. It's a very clean, organic crunch and sounds as Plexi era Marshall should. It can also be bell like clean.

It does Zeppelin, AC/DC, Lizzy perfectly out of the box, but you would need a drive and or fuzz pedal to get anything needing more gain than that.

The mid and low power settings are useful. It sounded plenty good on the low power setting. The tilt knob is super handy, you can loosely set the other EQ knobs, then dial it in with tilt. The boost feature may take my Shaggy Screamers job.

The weight is reasonable. I had no problem carrying it upstairs.

The only negatives are that i dont like how they buried the back panel connections (Fx loop, external speaker jacks, etc) so that you have to lay it on its face to access them, and I wish there were a standby switch. I dont think I've owned an amp without a standby and i dont know what to do when changing guitars or taking a break.

6562428a5a05904363370fc8c7312283.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

The Marshall Origin 50 showed up yesterday just as we were leaving for my birthday dinner. That's a special kind of torture, enjoying time with friends with the anticipation of a brand new amp to plug in waiting at home. Wisely I left it in the still vacant apartment above the bar, so when the party wound up there several of us were able to go upstairs to check it out.

My impression is that it's a solid, honest amplifier. It reminds me a lot of a Blues Jr in the way the gain and master volume controls interact to dial in the crispy Marshall crunch. It's a very clean, organic crunch and sounds as Plexi era Marshall should. It can also be bell like clean.

It does Zeppelin, AC/DC, Lizzy perfectly out of the box, but you would need a drive and or fuzz pedal to get anything needing more gain than that.

The mid and low power settings are useful. It sounded plenty good on the low power setting. The tilt knob is super handy, you can loosely set the other EQ knobs, then dial it in with tilt. The boost feature may take my Shaggy Screamers job.

The weight is reasonable. I had no problem carrying it upstairs.

The only negatives are that i dont like how they buried the back panel connections (Fx loop, external speaker jacks, etc) so that you have to lay it on its face to access them, and I wish there were a standby switch. I dont think I've owned an amp without a standby and i dont know what to do when changing guitars or taking a break.

6562428a5a05904363370fc8c7312283.jpg

Very similar to the reviews I’ve read. Thanks for the follow up

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Looks very similar to this model linked below.  A guitarist buddy of mine has one and just raves about it.  He's almost talked me into buying one, except that I think I've already got the "Marshall" style covered with my 65amps Empire and an old Orange Rockerverb 50.  

Seems like I could spend that $$ to cover some other sonic real estate that I don't already have covered (a semi-hollow with P90's is what I'm jonesing for).

6 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Bernie’s original version of Fool For Your Loving is so good

Early Whitesnake was very cool, even when some of Coverdale's lyrics were pretty cringy. They grooved. I was never a big fan of the glossy sell-out refurbished version that became huge later on.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 3:31 PM, AnotherUTFan said:

I dont think I've owned an amp without a standby and i dont know what to do when changing guitars or taking a break.

A lot of instrument cables out there that have a latching kill switch or a little sleeve on the proximal end that serve as a kill switch.  I have the latter... works great.  

Shit.  Just realized I posted that Evel guitar in the amp thread.  Apologies all around.  Let's clear the palate, shall we?

What should Chad get himself for Christmas?

I really want this:

gkkvhd96fy3yiokw77bt.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/29289962-fender-pro-amp-1957-tweed-1-15-pedal-steel-tom-brumley

Though this seems to be a more practical deal, though without the cache of having someone of note play it:

w0zj5vvrefyflbywrqiq.jpghttps://reverb.com/item/6375128-fender-custom-57-pro-26w-2-channel-1x15-tube-guitar-combo-amplifier

But this one seems to be the best all around deal.  

st9yvy0vugwclyh33hbd.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/30053302-fender-steel-king-200-watt-1x15-solid-state-guitar-combo-2004-2008

The primary instrument will be something along the lines of this (I've posted in the guitar thread before, but don't have a pic handy):

1958-Fender-Model-400-8-String-Pedal-Ste

Hmm.  Decisions.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Vince Gill's amp setup at the Ryman. Two Deluxe Reverbs. He played the 335 all night except for a Martin on a couple. His guitarist (not shown) played a matching 335.ad08c2221c064377357a5ac60601f464.jpg

I had always thought Red 335 = Chuck Berry.  I didn't think it could also = Christmas guitar!