These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

"Pete used a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe IV and Lee a Milkman Dairy Air into a Victory 2x12 cabinet."
Pete Honoré, the dude on the right, makes just about anything wail, but he's particularly on with that Tele and HRD. Amazing tone.

He has to have some sort of booster in front of the HRD doesn’t he?

Probably, for at least some of that. He boosts with Xotic's EP booster, but he adds drive with all kinds of stuff. If I had to guess, I'd go D&M Drive or maybe Plimsoul. He's also keen to drive with the bare amp, and the HRD IV is supposed to have an updated killer drive channel.

Edit: Ah! He's not using a King of Tone clone like the D&M Drive, he's using an actual King of Tone.

Edited by BoomMF

Somebody buy this guy a beer - he made a list of 190 different low watt amps and included a photo and brief specs for each one.

http://jedistar.com/low-watt-valve-guitar-amps-a-c/

http://jedistar.com/low-watt-valve-guitar-amps-d-j/

http://jedistar.com/low-watt-valve-guitar-amps-k-p/

http://jedistar.com/low-watt-valve-guitar-amps-r-s/

http://jedistar.com/low-watt-valve-guitar-amps-t-z/

Edited by Grandioso
Fixed the links

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Dear lord is this what we’ve come to?

Fender Deluxe reverb amp 1965 Blackfacehttps://applink.reverb.com/item/10727212-fender-deluxe-reverb-amp-1965-blackface

I should have grabbed one a few years ago when they were around $700.

Absolutely...I traded a paltry sum & gently used new Deluxe for a used blonde/wheat Twin that I've nicknamed Forklift.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

How do the reissues stand up to the vintage models? I can't imagine the vintage models sound 300% better.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd buy a handwired reissue over a vintage amp. Fender sells a handwired Deluxe Reverb for $2,500. That is going to be way more of a workhorse than a 50 year old amp. Shit, I'd probably go printed circuit board over a vintage amp.

My blackface Pro Reverb was an absolute money pit. Now, I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it so I spent like $300 de-modding and unfucking it from the dumbass shit the last 5 dudes did to it. 

Shit, I'd probably go printed circuit board over a vintage amp.

This. Cuts way down the fuckery you must endure as an owner of vintage gear. And you get 99% of the performance and 500% of the reliability.

If you MUST get something P2P/turret-based check out Alessandro. His handwired retro'd Fender Reissues are the closest thing we have to a time machine. And he's cheaper than Fender and uses arguably better materials (arguably!).

To wit:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F232806592693

That store carries all of his stocked jobs. He'll handwire any reissue, though. Check out his Deluxe Reverb. It's art.

But if you want the sound without the hassle, reissue reissue reissue.

Though not a reissue, the Fender Custom line with the silverface aesthetic that Deej won't shut up about are damn fantastic. Seriously, the Custom Deluxe Reverb is the best of the old and just the right amount of the new.

I'm probably not the best to give a reasoned even argument though. My list of preferred amp types are as follows:

1. New handwired

2. PCB

3. No amp at all

4. 60 year old electronics

Vintage amps wouldn't even be a thing today if SRV wasn't a complete unmitigated badass. And his amps were pretty damn far from stock vintage!

• Haha 1

Sorry for partying.

Just bustin' your balls. If it wasn't for you I'd still probably not know that those aren't silverface reissues and probably wouldn't have investigated to learn otherwise.

I'm talking to my dude at Sweetwater about a Custom Deluxe demo they have. I'm so close to pulling the trigger I can already feel the wife's exasperation. (But I just picked up an Astoria enclosure to match the Custom head, so I probably need to chill for a bit.)

• Like 1

They might. I'll look when I get home. That thing is built to some tight tolerances. I had a just a slight rattle that appeared when I really played it loud, after I first got it, but the screws holding the chassis in place just needed a quarter turn to tighten and that problem was gone.

Ok, I need someone to make the case for the Marshall Origin 20w or 50w. Both have variable output, which is a gigantic selling point. Also, for what you get they're dirt cheap. On the other hand, the only other British voiced amp I've owned was a Matchless that I ended up selling. The thing was a badass but fast AF with zero sag. While that is precisely the point to Vox Top Boost aficianados, it wasn't my cup of tea. Because tea is bullshit, 'Merica. We drink cheap gas station coffee and we jam on loosey goosey amps! The thing played like it had a solid state rectifier, which is ironic because the Vox circuit is famous for its tube rectifier.

Marshall is in such a weird place right now.  The top brass has cleaned house and much of the talent that created Marshall's winners over the past decade are now gone, including the aforementioned Steve Dawson.  There is considerable scuttlebutt that Marshall has no plans to reissue any of their 100W catalog and there are currently no new designs on the launchpad.  Origin may represent the the new era of wholly new yet tonally derivative low-wattage amps.  Gone is the handwired line.  The Custom Shop, small that it was, is shuttered.

We might not see a new amp launch for at least a few years, including, and perhaps especially, reissues.  Maybe longer.

The Astoria seems to mark the end of the Jim Marshall era proper.  If so, it went out with a bang... and a whimper.  Astoria was the last project he greenlit, the last project to get his complete support, the last project to be given carte blanche, but a project that didn't become fully realized until after his death.  That's important because some of the late decisions, were made by accountants, which would not have happened with regards to the Astoria project had Jim been alive.  Luckily, Astoria was too far along for the accountants to dramatically affect the line and in its final form Astoria retains most of the high end design, materials, and build as was originally intended.  The marketing, probably the aspect most responsible for the line's failure, was all handled post-JM.  He would not have allowed that to happen the way it did.

These next few years are going to be interesting as we see how the new post-JM Marshall leadership position themselves in the marketplace.  The early returns look like a dramatically different company.

That said, the Origin line looks like a winner, top to bottom.  There have been many complaints of knob crackle and distortion, which seem to imply a lower QC commitment, but it's still early and the Origin line have been selling briskly.

Edited by BoomMF

I'm having the gear shipped to my longtime band leader in Lago Vista because:

(a) he just wrote like 10 amazing songs this summer,

(b) we're going to record our fourth album,

(c) he has a legit pro-grade studio,

(d) this amp is going to be on every single track, and 

(e) he found out today that his dog has almost-certainly terminal cancer in his liver/intestines. 

Will post pics when he sends them or when I get over to Lago, whichever is first. Hopefully this will boost morale. 

Cancer. When you absolutely, positively have to fuck up a joyful occasion, accept no substitutes. 

And.... I just found out they put him down today. When my buddy told me today that he wasn't eating, I knew where this was heading. RIP Murphy. 

If y'all want to hear some of our stuff, search "L.L. Cooper" on itunes - that will direct you to our first "Old Hardin Store Road" and third "Dust Devil" album. Then, search "L. L. Cooper" for our second one "Tucson" (and my favorite). We all have day jobs but we are also dumbass musicians that can't use iTunes properly. 

5 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

And.... I just found out they put him down today. When my buddy told me today that he wasn't eating, I knew where this was heading. RIP Murphy. 

If y'all want to hear some of our stuff, search "L.L. Cooper" on itunes - that will direct you to our first "Old Hardin Store Road" and third "Dust Devil" album. Then, search "L. L. Cooper" for our second one "Tucson" (and my favorite). We all have day jobs but we are also dumbass musicians that can't use iTunes properly. 

Man, I'm sorry. I'm a big dog person. I have three and most times, have at least two more staying at my house. It's such a kick in the nuts to hear that. 

On 7/10/2018 at 6:27 PM, Grandioso said:

I'm having the gear shipped to my longtime band leader in Lago Vista because:

(a) he just wrote like 10 amazing songs this summer,

(b) we're going to record our fourth album,

(c) he has a legit pro-grade studio,

(d) this amp is going to be on every single track, and 

(e) he found out today that his dog has almost-certainly terminal cancer in his liver/intestines. 

Will post pics when he sends them or when I get over to Lago, whichever is first. Hopefully this will boost morale. 

Cancer. When you absolutely, positively have to fuck up a joyful occasion, accept no substitutes. 

That sounds like the makings of a first rate documentary, right there.

Now we're discussing guitars in the amp thread and amps in the guitar thread, we really should combine them.

Changing strings is a pain in the ass, but I have a system down where I get them pretty decent. I usually get 2 1/2 to 3 wraps on the big E without pinching against that tuner shaft nut and 3 to 4 on the high e string. There's evidently a formula where you can precut the strings and get them exact every time, but I never took the time to look it up.

And that automatic tuner On that LP Jr is garbage, no wonder everybody hates it. It does get the guitar in tune, but takes twice as long as if I did myself. In fact, one of the reasons I don't pick it up more is because I don't have the patience to wait for it. Otherwise it's an unbelievably fun guitar to play.