These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

8 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Interesting, what's it do?

It's a Midi controller so theoretically it can do damn near anything, but I got it to pair with the RJM loop switcher which will have my amps and miscellany on various loops. It's programmable up to 168 presets I think, you essentially program which amp, effects or whatnot for any particular passage in a song as a preset. You can set them up by setlist as well so you essentially just go in order.

It does a lot of other shit that's way over my dinosaur head too like controlling other devices and stuff.

Edited by G650
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I love all the tech going on in modeling, pedals, etc etc these days. Just fascinating stuff.

But I can’t use it. Guitar>volume knob>dirt pedal>amp for me.

Yeah, I recently downloaded a plugin for the computer/DAW that I think is going in the right direction.   It does not attempt to model every amp, cab, boutique pedal, etc...  It models one thing -- a tone king imperial combo with its built in speaker and gives you the amp face to interact with.  It comes with a small number of pedals modeled -- a boost, an overdrive, a delay, a chorus and a reverb that you can use, or not.  That's it.

image.thumb.png.c08cfc684b27b2b83703650a6f48144f.png

Edit: And it sounds really good.

Edited by Goredho

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

There is zero chance I would play that amp in a live setting.  No way.  At least when I just plug straight into my little Vox people understand that it's real tone.  I need every audience advantage I can get.

You have to pay out for a cool amp to sit on stage behind you, while the modeler remains hidden. 

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I love all the tech going on in modeling, pedals, etc etc these days. Just fascinating stuff.

But I can’t use it. Guitar>volume knob>dirt pedal>amp for me.

One thing that probably I have always been different to most guitar players is is that I give zero shits about pedals. And if I have a pedal it's probably a Boss or DOD.

My live rig for like 25 years is Les Paul directly into two half stacks with a rack mount compressor/gate in the effects loop. Zero pedals, power conditioner and tuner in the rack with the dbx 166.

• Drool 1

15 hours ago, Deej said:

Four presets on something and 20 minutes later I'm back to plugging straight into something with no presets. I get overwhelmed. 

This.  My preference is about 4 pedals with, for all but two, a four knob limit per pedal.  One of my favorite tube amps has two knobs.  But at home, I'm almost always guitar in to amp.  I blame the tweeds.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

That's why I wear these when we practice.

They work great dampening loudness while letting high frequencies through. When we play live i usually keep one in the ear thats close to an amp, or not at all if the room is big enough for the sound to breath.

My older friend who i often play guitar and attend shows with developed tinnitus a few years ago. As a music person, its you're worst nightmare.

In The Koffs we practice in a tiny room at levels way above where they need to be. I have to wear full on earplugs to not go home with my ears ringing. Our guitar player refuses to put anything in. I think he takes the the same kind of pride in it as the guys who eat super hot peppers. At least all those guys have to worry about is a sore asshole the next day. 523392b39732d4b5ef2b7354af04f873.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, G650 said:

Well shit boys. It couldn't be helped.

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--Pp17DqKi--/f_auto,t_large/v1662750051/vonwtfapvzbgjfxb1zud.jpg

Oh!  Hello there!  Video with harmonic tremolo ("vibrato") intensity turned up past noon, please.  That amp is a stunner!

While we wait,

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Oh!  Hello there!  Video with harmonic tremolo ("vibrato") intensity turned up past noon, please.  That amp is a stunner!

While we wait,

Yep, I am amped (lol) for the harmonic tremolo. I have really been needing a brownface Fender, and this seemed the most appropriate.

• Hook 'Em 1

It becomes option overload and I spend too much time trying to dial stuff in, then I start overthinking, and then it all starts sounding like shit to me. I can sound like shit with a single channel, a guitar, and a cable. No need to overdo it.

This is my problem with the Katana. Too many parameters.

That’s why I think the Spark is more fun. You pick a sound (artist and/or song) and then it gets pretty close for just having fun and jamming along. And I can do it all from my phone. I actually wish the Spark was the size of my Katana.

One thing that probably I have always been different to most guitar players is is that I give zero shits about pedals. And if I have a pedal it's probably a Boss or DOD.

My live rig for like 25 years is Les Paul directly into two half stacks with a rack mount compressor/gate in the effects loop. Zero pedals, power conditioner and tuner in the rack with the dbx 166.

So…you bought a 168 preset controller?

1 minute ago, noharleyyet said:

Stock pic, mine comes in December with Cream Chickheads and a purple pilot...will however try that setting.

I run mine Presence at like 1, Middle 6, Bass 0, Treble 6.  Jump and blend channel to taste.

The other classic setting is 12, 12, 0, 0

I don't know anyone that puts the Bass any higher than maybe 3

53 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

Stock pic, mine comes in December with Cream Chickheads and a purple pilot...will however try that setting.

49 minutes ago, G650 said:

I run mine Presence at like 1, Middle 6, Bass 0, Treble 6.  Jump and blend channel to taste.

The other classic setting is 12, 12, 0, 0

I don't know anyone that puts the Bass any higher than maybe 3

I fiddle with mine pretty constantly.  Since I know you went with the Weber 12a125 speakers, which aren't as reedy/chimey as Jensen reissues for instance, and are more articulate, I will say that you can get away with more presence and using the bright channel as your main input if you like. 

If memory serves, I've had good results with 8, 8, 2, 9, Volume at 4, Volume 2 at 5., then roll the volume back on the guitar a notch or two to clean it up, then roll it up when I'm ready to grind.

As for the rest, we need to start with the idea that every model of Fender's tweeds behave a little differently.  For starters, the clean you get when you roll the volume back on the Deluxe is way closer to sonic perfection than what I've gotten rolling it back on all my other tweed amps.  But it's an outlier in almost every way as far as how the controls change the sound.  On the super, the Bass and Treble knobs are like overdrives.  Go past 6, and it sings like a different amp.  That's true to some extent on the bassman, but a lesser one.  You just have to play around with it.  But play with cranking those tone knobs a bit.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I fiddle with mine pretty constantly.  Since I know you went with the Weber 12a125 speakers, which aren't as reedy/chimey as Jensen reissues for instance, and are more articulate, I will say that you can get away with more presence and using the bright channel as your main input if you like. 

If memory serves, I've had good results with 8, 8, 2, 9, Volume at 4, Volume 2 at 5., then roll the volume back on the guitar a notch or two to clean it up, then roll it up when I'm ready to grind.

It depends on which guitar I'm playing and what mode. I've whittled it down over time to 3 main settings, in terms of gig/rehearsal, and then blend the two volumes to fine tune for a room. I always plug into Bright high, and jump to Normal high. Mainly I use a Strat and it's what I said about 1 or 2, 5 or 6, 0 to 1 and 6 to 7. Volume 6 or 7 Normal and 4 or 5 Bright. High gain hairy mode is the Clapton esque 12, 12, 0, 0 type thing though I'm usually like 9, 12, 0, 2 or something. If I use the Les Paul it's pretty much the same but I dial in more bright,  probably up to 7 or so.

Once you learn how the tone stack and dials interact, it is pretty amazing the different sounds you can get. It really separates the old Bassmans.

I think you make a good point about understanding the different amps. I've come to think over the years there's pretty much three tiers of variation in vintage gear of all types. There's different models as you note, in the middle, there's variation within the models, with midstream changes to spec (Bassman tone stack values being just a tiny example), and then, and I think most importantly, on a micro level there's just inconsistency in manufacturing back then. A lot more hand work and a lot more variables. Quality and end result can be all over the place. It takes a lot of effort to really learn what you are looking for and then how to properly use it for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Just fucking with you man. All good. 

I will say the chances of me using 168 presets are nonexistent.

Somewhat counterintuitively, this thing makes things way simpler. I think maybe tbone and deej chimed in, can't exactly remember, but historically I've been on the same track of try something, get frustrated, go back to pluging into amp directly. And then basically I stuck with that for 20 years damn near. With the controller its actually so simple I kinda like it. I just tap one button and the rest is just playing guitar as always.

The reason I tried it out was mainly to be able to play what I did on the recordings live. I always approximated the songs with the Les Paul and Jubilee, and I kind of thought this may give me the ability to use the other gear without getting frustrated and throwing my toys out the toy box as it were. It's not a ton of things anyway. I only have five pedals in the rack, one of which is my trusty Boss TR-2 which actually gets to go away now that I bought the Super. So it's left with a compressor, Big Muff, EQ and Boost. The controller does more amp switching than anything really. Plus the effects gizmo has a buffer in it so that removed the old Boss CS2 I had on the floor for that reason. It also has an output for a tuner so that is always on as well. I'm honestly kind of boggled how easy this thing makes everything.

Where it goes I'm not sure yet, but I quite like it so far. I may or may not be going through an existential crisis on guitar and song writing. I have definitely been feeling the creeping urge to go all the way back to the beginning and ditch everything I've done the past 30 plus years and start over on a new track. I began with Fenders and a Classic 50 Peavy, and dabbled in such variety of tunes. Then it all consolidated to the Les Paul Marshall rock deal. I kind of feel handcuffed by it. Somehow I think if I go back to the start maybe it will help unlock something.

I guess this concludes the Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy portion of the amp thread.

• Like 1

Played with the Vicky Bassman tonight with my ES335. Tried the settings with the mids and presence up and the rest down. But this is where the sweet spot was for that guitar into the Normal input.

Bassman-Settings-ES335.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, dcbc said:

Played with the Vicky Bassman tonight with my ES335. Tried the settings with the mids and presence up and the rest down. But this is where the sweet spot was for that guitar into the Normal input.

Bassman-Settings-ES335.jpg

Looks like Cary Grant in a double breasted gabardine suit (no homo)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Almost 3 years ago I took my 1987x Plexi Reissue into the studio where started sparking as soon as I turned it on. Finally got around to taking it to a highly recommended tech who found that somehow two terminals in one of the power tube sockets had arc'ed, blowing out the power tubes and damaging some downstream components while at it. $600 bucks later, I picked up today.

Its fucking loud as hell, but pure Rock and Roll heaven. Even plugged into the new 1x12 cab its too loud for this room, but at least its tolerable in this room and would probably be OK in a smaller venue. Through the 1960A 4x12 it needs a pretty decent sized room to open it up. Through either cab though, with the channels jumped and the volumes blended somewhere around 1 and 2 O'clock, just pure Marshall tone for days.

For what Foggy found it for me plus the $600, I'm still about a grand under what these go for used now days.
20221025_143413.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I actually played it cranked pretty loud for a while last night and after asked the bartender if I was too loud. She said no, so I guess it does work for bedroom levels.

Only if your bedroom is over a bar. 

• Like 1