These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

It has arrived boys. This is a damn cool amp. The harmonic tremolo is soooo fucking lush. It's has to go off to my tech, the pots are a little scratchy and one tube is definitely brighter than the other, though I haven't put a probe on it yet to check. But super cool.

It definitely won't challenge the Bassman for supremacy, but it rocks out with good crunch. Almost have to dime it with the Strat to really break it up. Our space is a warehouse essentially so I imagine it would seem a lot louder in a smaller place.

Biggest disappointment,  I don't sound like Dickey Betts or Duane Allman after plugging in.

20221026-140033.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

It has arrived boys. This is a damn cool amp. The harmonic tremolo is soooo fucking lush. It's has to go off to my tech, the pots are a little scratchy and one tube is definitely brighter than the other, though I haven't put a probe on it yet to check. But super cool.

It definitely won't challenge the Bassman for supremacy, but it rocks out with good crunch. Almost have to dime it with the Strat to really break it up. Our space is a warehouse essentially so I imagine it would seem a lot louder in a smaller place.

Biggest disappointment,  I don't sound like Dickey Betts or Duane Allman after plugging in.

20221026-140033.jpg

It sure looks pretty.

3 hours ago, G650 said:

20221026-140033.jpg

So I can't remember how different the circuit from the Brownface Super differs from the Tweed 5f4 Super.  But if there are any similarities that are easy to check, it's this: crank the treble up over half way or more.  On the 5f4, it's basically a drive knob.  Totally different amp with it turned up like that.  With it down, it's darned near sterile.  Bass knob does some things too, but the treble knob with the trick with that amp.  I'd be willing to be that it's not much different with the Brownface.

19 hours ago, dcbc said:

So I can't remember how different the circuit from the Brownface Super differs from the Tweed 5f4 Super.  But if there are any similarities that are easy to check, it's this: crank the treble up over half way or more.  On the 5f4, it's basically a drive knob.  Totally different amp with it turned up like that.  With it down, it's darned near sterile.  Bass knob does some things too, but the treble knob with the trick with that amp.  I'd be willing to be that it's not much different with the Brownface.

It's about 3 variations away from a 5F4, not counting all the micro changes Fender loved to do. I haven't A/B it with a tweed Super but from what I remember playing them this does act a bit different. Kind of a cliche but it does seem to be right between a tweed and a blackface.

I always immediately start waggling all the knobs when I get a new amp. I didn't notice a huge effect on cranking the treble, but it definitely needs some TLC before it's ready for prime time. I just played it for a few minutes yesterday and put it back in the case to ship off to my tech. Hopefully have it back before too long and I can give the full report.

24 minutes ago, Deej said:

You should record some samples before you ship it off, and then again when you get it back and share them with us. 

It's already packed to go out. All I got was some crappy cell phone video of playing random arpeggiated chords to try and hear the Tremolo.

This was speed at 12 o'clock and intensity a little higher

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

It's about 3 variations away from a 5F4, not counting all the micro changes Fender loved to do. I haven't A/B it with a tweed Super but from what I remember playing them this does act a bit different. Kind of a cliche but it does seem to be right between a tweed and a blackface.

I always immediately start waggling all the knobs when I get a new amp. I didn't notice a huge effect on cranking the treble, but it definitely needs some TLC before it's ready for prime time. I just played it for a few minutes yesterday and put it back in the case to ship off to my tech. Hopefully have it back before too long and I can give the full report.

I read a bit about them after I posted that.  Supposedly, there are several small variations between 1960 and 1963.  Also, replacement speakers seem to be a must, both for the sake of not blowing the originals and improvements in tone.  Eminence Cannabis Rex seem to be well thought of in this era of Super.  My bet is that this trip to the tech will have it sounding a lot different in the best ways when you get it back.

This thing sits in the back of his studio with shit piled all around it.  Been a couple of years since I've actually seen it.  He has it dialed in and never touches it but he records directly now so he is clearing out some space and he just picked up a Vox that he is using mostly.  I'm using my Blues Jr mostly with my pedal steel....hell, if Buzz doesn't take it, I'll just scoop it up for one of my guitar amps.  

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking through thegearpage the other day and saw a post looking to trade (plus cash) his 1969 Princeton (nonreverb) for a 57 Custom Tweed Twin.  I checked to see if he was near Texas (just for grins) and he's in NC.  So I said too bad and moved on.  He messaged me and offered his amp plus $400 for mine.  Those Princetons are going for anywhere from $1,500 to $2,500.  So assuming his is on the high end of that (it's super clean and loaded with NOS RCA), probably not a bad deal for me (apart from having to ship the Twin).  But, in the end, I declined.  I've had a vintage Princeton Reverb, and while I know this amp is a way cleaner sound, I've really got my small blackface tone in my 73 DR.  The only thing that was attractive about it was to trade down in size, then sell the Princeton more easily. 

Then I played the Twin and felt a lot better about the decision.  It isn't practical, and I prefer the Bassman, but it's cool and there aren't a lot of them coming up for sale.  Outside of what I prefer (the Twin), anyone think I'm crazy for not jumping at this deal.  I bought this amp used back when you could get them for a lot less.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I was looking through thegearpage the other day and saw a post looking to trade (plus cash) his 1969 Princeton (nonreverb) for a 57 Custom Tweed Twin.  I checked to see if he was near Texas (just for grins) and he's in NC.  So I said too bad and moved on.  He messaged me and offered his amp plus $400 for mine.  Those Princetons are going for anywhere from $1,500 to $2,500.  So assuming his is on the high end of that (it's super clean and loaded with NOS RCA), probably not a bad deal for me (apart from having to ship the Twin).  But, in the end, I declined.  I've had a vintage Princeton Reverb, and while I know this amp is a way cleaner sound, I've really got my small blackface tone in my 73 DR.  The only thing that was attractive about it was to trade down in size, then sell the Princeton more easily. 

Then I played the Twin and felt a lot better about the decision.  It isn't practical, and I prefer the Bassman, but it's cool and there aren't a lot of them coming up for sale.  Outside of what I prefer (the Twin), anyone think I'm crazy for not jumping at this deal.  I bought this amp used back when you could get them for a lot less.

HP Twin?

18 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I've avoided buying/trading on TGP because while they do have a participant rating system, there is no recourse if someone wants to screw you, or even if there is just damage that occurs along the way that requires a mediator to sort through with the other party.  I have heard of a couple people getting burned and TGP saying, "Buyer/trader beware."  If for no other reason than that, I think you made a good decision.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, G650 said:

HP Twin?

Low Power.  If it was the HP, my response would have been, huh, what, come again? 

lfrflrvpiwztygbyx8en.jpg

In other news, just poking around, I found out Victoria makes an 80 Watt Bassman or, probably more accurately described, a 4x10 HP Tweed Twin.  Good grief.

Edited by dcbc

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

I've avoided buying/trading on TGP because while they do have a participant rating system, there is no recourse if someone wants to screw you, or even if there is just damage that occurs along the way that requires a mediator to sort through with the other party.  I have heard of a couple people getting burned and TGP saying, "Buyer/trader beware."  If for no other reason than that, I think you made a good decision.

Yeah, I've bought a couple of pedals on there and sold a few things.  But nothing as pricey as an amp.  And with trades, I'd really rather it be in person.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Low Power.  If it was the HP, my response would have been, huh, what, come again? 

lfrflrvpiwztygbyx8en.jpg

In other news, just poking around, I found out Victoria makes an 80 Watt Bassman or, probably more accurately described, a 4x10 HP Tweed Twin.  Good grief.

Yeah I was looking at the numbers scratching head lol.

I'm actually contemplating having a HP Twin clone made just for giggles but this Victoria is intriguing as I often say to myself what would a louder Bassman be like...

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, G650 said:

Yeah I was looking at the numbers scratching head lol.

I'm actually contemplating having a HP Twin clone made just for giggles but this Victoria is intriguing as I often say to myself what would a louder Bassman be like...

The low power twin will make your ears bleed.  A high power twin seems like it could rearrange your internal organs.  They run ceramic speakers in the 4x12 HPTT/BassMAN.  Don't know how much that changes things.  I had those eminence ceramics in my bassman originally, but I grabbed some alnicos pretty quickly because I thought the ceramics sounded a bit dull. 

I keep wondering how the Eminence GA10 SC59 speakers would sound in my Bassman.  I'm currently running Weber 10a125, which are wonderfully articulate and hold together well, but don't have that reedy Jensen P10R sound with the smaller voice coil and magnet (Weber is 1.25" VC and a 14oz magnet - closer to a Jensen P10Q).  I tried the Weber signature speakers (similarly spec'd to P10R) and really didn't care for them by comparison.  So I don't know why I keep doing this to myself.  It will be an easy thing to pass on since a set of 4 would run me over $650.

Jupiter has some nice small 1" voice coil speakers with the larger (14 oz) magnet it claims is an upgraded P10R.  Paper VC former too.  That might be an interesting compromise.  They're about $30 cheaper than the Eminence speakers too.

TLDR.  I ain't buying shit.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Quick experiment yesterday. It seems like about 90% of the clean tone I'm hearing through tweed Bassman amps with the smaller magnet P10r type speakers is more from a strat in the 2 or 4 position through the bright channel with the mids and presence turned up. So I'm glad to be able to access that sound without a speaker swap. But I still prefer my more articulate settings rather than the delicate sounds people seem to hunt with these things. That's even more true when I get it overdriving.

11 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I've had a DC-30 on the bucket list for a long time - I always thought they sounded glorious - and I was just poking around Reverb to see if I could find a used one.  I had never heard of their "Laurel Canyon" model, so went down the rabbit hole of online demos, and the more I listened, the more I was convinced that it's really 100% in my wheelhouse. 

I only buy amp heads these days.  No more combos for me.  I have a 65Amps 2x12" speaker cabinet, and that's what most everything goes through.  Buying amp heads is 1) a lot cheaper (especially used ones), 2) takes up considerably less space, and 3) is much better suited to recording, when you can have the amp sitting next to you in the control room and really crank it up and let it sing, and put the cabinet in another room so you're not going deaf.  I'm also convinced that 15 or 20 watts is *plenty* of power.

If you read the Matchless description of this model, they have a feel-good story about it being a tribute to the singer songwriters who lived in the canyon ...which strikes me as odd marketing, because none of those Laurel Canyon singer/songwriters were known for their electric guitar tones.  When I looked at online reviews and gear discussion forums, several people describe them as being sonically between Vox and Fender.  I might be missing something, but that's not how it sounds to me.  Like I said, I hear it as a nice Vox sound with that EL84 chime.  It seems like it gets a little more growl than an AC30 when pushed, but it maintains really nice note separation when hitting chords (I realize that Tim Pierce could sound amazing on almost anything).

Anyway, I can appreciate all kinds of guitars and all kinds of amps, but the tones that seem to resonate with me emotionally are disproportionately semi-hollow guitars, P90 pickups, and Vox-flavored amps.  I'm also not a good soloist... so I care less about killer single-note tones and more about playing chords and partial chords and getting inspired by low-to-moderate gain guitar tones as writing tools.    

Probably a lot longer answer than you wanted.

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Not at all. All that makes perfect sense to me. I too am very intrigued by that amp, which does not make perfect sense though since I play almost exclusively acoustic these days. But who knows.

And +1 on the head strategy. No more combos for me either. I have an old Boogie .22 Studio head that’s insanely good for the $400 I paid for it. Plus others that rotate around on various 2/12 cabinets.

But also very interested in the Vox/Fenderish P90 gnarlish chimney grind. So please share.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've always thought Matchless were very underrated amps. They really are a modern Vox in a lot of ways.

It's funny though, as someone who didn't even own a combo amp for 25 years, I'm basically the opposite now, I'm pretty much heavy into the combos these days. It's a much more open sound that I have come to like quite a bit.

I did let my AB165 Bassman rip yesterday with a new 4 x 12 cab though, fucking glorious.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, G650 said:

Nah. Shits for playing, not looking at. I have a real problem with collectors of basically anything. Play it or lose it.

Oh, I get the impression that he plays that stuff.  And I agree, you play it or you sell it.  I always feel like I have one amp and one guitar that I'm giving the side eye to.  But then I play it and realize why I keep it around.