These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

Oh, I get the impression that he plays that stuff.  And I agree, you play it or you sell it.  I always feel like I have one amp and one guitar that I'm giving the side eye to.  But then I play it and realize why I keep it around.
This

I have way too many amps and most collect dust in my apt or, even worse, are buried under a bunch of other peoples gear in our studio space, but everytime I dig one out to sell I'll play though it and decide it sounds to good to sell.

I did put a couple on Craigslist recently and got zero hits. Do people still buy amps off Craigslist? @Foggy Notion I've sold a ton of gear there in the past but haven't in a while, I usually get at least some response.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll admit not having much interest in Fender's Tonemaster series in the past.  And I'm not in the market to trade in one of my tube amps for something like this.  And what's more, I'm in the school of thought that the Princeton Reverb is overrated unless you mod it to the point that it sounds more like a Deluxe Reverb, and that's why I have one of those.  Et cetera.

So having said that, this Tonemaster Princeton Reverb sounds really good.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone in OH care to pick up an amp? First time in about 3 years one of these came up for sale. 

#7 of 25 - CME - Marshall Astoria Custom - Black / Gold - with custom road case https://reverb.com/item/63846101-7-of-25-cme-marshall-astoria-custom-black-gold-with-custom-road-case?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=63846101

• 2 weeks later...

Daughter's ex-boyfriend seems to be trying to buy his way back into her good graces, and gave her a pretty sweet Silvertone electric for Xmas.  She needs an amp.  My budget is zero, but I'll go above that.  Looking for one of those decent practice jobs that uses samples, preferably not modeling.  I've heard all kinds of references to them on the threads here but I tune all of that out by nature.  Now I'm screwed.  

Did I mention cheap?

She already plays, not great, but she's a terrific musician and will get mighty good with little effort.  The amp doesn't need to be stage loud, but it should sound good enough to mic and go through a PA at a small club gig.  Thanks.

I'm considering selling my Blues Jr. I've had it for over 20 years, but it's too loud for home, and too heavy to haul to church.

I'm using a little Blackstar HT-1. It's only 1 watt but puts out enough volume to piss off my wife.

I'm going to post it on FB Marketplace and Craigslist but will sell it here if any of you are SoCal and need 15W amp.

Edited by Superhero
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...

Soooooo.... Speaking of nostalgia for amps. I may have had one or two too many whiskeys Saturday before last, and in a fit of romanticism put a low offer in on a JCM900.

20230123-153748.jpg

I honestly don't have much use for this as I have two Jubilees, but it was fun to play for a minute. The original EL34 JCM900s sound fantastic.

I guess TL;DR if anyone wants a 100 watt Marshall lemme know.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Soooooo.... Speaking of nostalgia for amps. I may have had one or two too many whiskeys Saturday before last, and in a fit of romanticism put a low offer in on a JCM900.

20230123-153748.jpg

I honestly don't have much use for this as I have two Jubilees, but it was fun to play for a minute. The original EL34 JCM900s sound fantastic.

Very tempting. Great amp.

4 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:
17 minutes ago, G650 said:

20230123-153748.jpg

Very tempting. Great amp.

Please take it off my hands lol. I woke up Sunday with a hangover and cussing.

It does rip though. If you are doing like 90s punk or hard rock, this is the sound.

CSB - buddy of mine here in Phx bought a JCM 900 combo a few years ago. Got kind of done with it and on a whim put it on Reverb. Neil Geraldo bought it.

He calls me and says hey Neil fucking Geraldo is coming over to pick up the Marshall in like 30 min. I couldn’t get there in time.

This is the drummer in our band who has the gold sparkle DW touring kit he bought from Stevie Nicks’ drummer.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2022 at 8:16 PM, dcbc said:

Well, Tyler to Beaumont and back again is a long ass trip, I can attest. But the boy got a killer deal on this 59 Bassman Ltd.

b3e72823da2ae6eea931a836b3fd7be5.jpg

i had a thought today that i really need a fender '59 bassman.  i inception'd myself and i'd give myself a week before i do something dumb.  what do you think of the one you got?

Edited by sidis

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

i had a thought today that i really need a fender '59 bassman.  i inception'd myself and i'd give myself a week before i do something dumb.  what do you think?

You need one. I was cutting tracks on mine today

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

@dcbcson has an LTD

Correct.  The boy has the Bassman Ltd.  I have a Victoria 45410 (Bassman).  They are different, but each is awesome.  That is to say, if I had one, I'd not be tempted to buy the other and vice versa.  The Ltd is a good bit louder and stays cleaner longer up the dial than the Victoria though.  How much of that is the speakers, I don't know.  I need to plug the Jensens in the Fender into the Vicky and vice versa with the Webers in the Vicky plugged into the Fender.

37 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Also Ltd = lacquered tweed

Reissue had the sought after Eminence Blue Fram 1028p speakers as well.

Both are printed circuit board.

what do you think, @dcbc and @G650?

https://reverb.com/item/66924618-fender-59-bassman-ltd-reissue-45-watt-4x10-guitar-combo-2008-present-lacquered-tweed

and let's just value me avoiding having to drive beaumont as having an FMV of approximately $1,000 today.

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 1

@sidis That link is pulling up a new one for $2,000.  At that price, I'd be tempted to get a quote from Jim at Lil Dawg like @noharleyyet did.  It will be as good as anything you can buy in that price range or most of the things above it.  I paid less than that for my Victoria (used), but that was several years ago.  Bear in mind that you'll possibly go down the speaker rabbit hole, which can add up quickly x4.

The boy paid $800 for his, and it is pristine.  We were seeing them for $800--$950 on FB Marketplace with a couple of to several hours of driving involved.

16 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Which one sounds better?

Better is hard to quantify.  Overall, I prefer the Victoria.  But unless you set it up with the mids and presence maxed, it can start sounding less like a Bassman (or at least what you hear in the demos).  But I don't always want that reedy bassman sound and like that I can dial in something a bit less discernible as a tweed bassman, if that makes sense.  I'm convinced that most of it is the speakers.  I tried the lower wattage P10R types in my Victoria (2 along with my Weber 10a125s (P10Q), and while the cleans were more bassman like, I hated the way they sounded when turned up and swore off listening to what other people heard with regard to speakers in tweed bassman amps.  I've had the 10a125 (20 watt) speakers in there ever since then.

3 hours ago, dcbc said:

@sidis That link is pulling up a new one for $2,000.  At that price, I'd be tempted to get a quote from Jim at Lil Dawg like @noharleyyet did.  It will be as good as anything you can buy in that price range or most of the things above it.  I paid less than that for my Victoria (used), but that was several years ago.  Bear in mind that you'll possibly go down the speaker rabbit hole, which can add up quickly x4.

The boy paid $800 for his, and it is pristine.  We were seeing them for $800--$950 on FB Marketplace with a couple of to several hours of driving involved.

Thanks, not sure what happened to the link. What I meant to link was a used one that was supposedly in mint condition (looked good in pix) for $1,300 plus a hundred bucks for shipping. Had some good pix for the speakers and wiring though which is why I asked you if you saw any red flags.

But I went ahead and bought it to avoid the Beaumont drive so that is why I suspect the link doesn’t work. Will be new amp day soon!

edit: @dcbc, here are the pics.

ve99cwlc9xuqswvabzij.thumb.webp.fa0b9eb2ff6d24c875595f7dde763e5f.webp

hvw4gh5f85ufqdyakjmd.thumb.webp.6328c7b7ba4484525fd66e2d359e4bbf.webp

cppemfrqknvu0uhoreo2.thumb.webp.1f564befca3c5a1ebc1983f83e9451e6.webp

ywlc3b82mdlv75oqgois.jpg.f01b7577bb1c078bf9fb20e725cd13d5.jpg

exnxbzehvhydbjfl8nbp.webp.2508ebb39f6500b2ad965a975b17d442.webp

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I generated the 1st noise complaint at a cool ass spot in the Mission that just reopened as a venue after a 15 year hiatus a few months ago. Sound guy told me it wasn't too bad and to be proud of it, which of course I am. Shawn Rocker with the Rickenbacker thunder! I thinking about getting a truss rod cover that says "Rockerbacker".

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1