These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Unpossible.

Weber makes speaker cable leads, you just insert it between the speaker out and the speakers. Can use it with any conventional attenuator.

I was going to mention putting dummy loads on a couple of the speakers as well.  As the test went, on 3, the dogs stayed in the room.  On 4, they left.

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Well, I play mine between 5 and 7 so I may not be the best person to ask. But you can check out attenuators!

you have been driving earth movers and pile driving foundations for too many decades.  it has killed your hearing. ;) 

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

@sidis, if there is a cable between the amp and the speaker, like you would have between a head and external cab, you could insert an attenuator in there as @G650 suggested to let you crank it and saturate all the tubes but keep volume low.  Back when I was recording with real amps, the universal audio ox box was a decent attenuator with a lot of great capabilities for recording.  I ultimately went back to modeling with the AxeFX3, but not because real amps + ox box sucked, but more because I was spending too much on amps.

Have also heard good things about the Suhr reactive load IR box, and it is significantly cheaper, but without as high level an interface for recording.  Like you are working at a lower level with impulse responses with this, but it sounds great in various vids I've seen and was recommended alongside the ox box.

I gravitated towards those because recording was important to me, as I know it is to you.  Both will allow you to crank the amp, but lower the output to the speaker to keep volume down to non-dangerous levels. But you are getting set up to mic cabs and such, so if you are going that route, you might be able to get a straight attenuator with none of the recording features of these at a cheaper price than both.

28 minutes ago, dcbc said:

it_might_get_loud_t.jpg?k=8a0b8f1ef7

Attenuator probably is your best bet.   You can also run it on 12 if you leave either the power cord or guitar cable unplugged. 

I can play mine on 3 and not shake the room, but they are big, loud, 3-D sounding amps, and the LTD (as I mentioned above) is among the louder ones for whatever reason.  You can try running the tone knobs lower . . . maybe?  Plug into the #2 input on whatever channel you're using?  I just play mine loud, honestly.

Here's a video of it at what I consider a very reasonable volume.  It really isn't loud at all.  But it starts to wake up at 4. :)  Last trick.  Crank the amp, roll back the guitar volume.

Normal channel.  V-3, T-6, B-3, M-12, P12

thanks guys.  i was being a little hyperbolic but god damn, when i plugged it in the first time, let the tubes warm up, and fired away at 5 and 5, it was a bit uhhh, jarring.

i think a 4 normal, 3 bright, and 5 on the guitar is about the right balance for a clean even tone that fills the house but doesn't get me arrested...but i've only gotten about an hour to mess around thanks to dumbass work.  i'll figure it out this weekend.  the klon klone through it should be interesting.

1 minute ago, sidis said:

you have been driving earth movers and pile driving foundations for too many decades.  it has killed your hearing. ;) 

thanks guys.  i was being a little hyperbolic but god damn, when i plugged it in the first time, let the tubes warm up, and fired away at 5 and 5, it was a bit uhhh, jarring.

i think a 4 normal, 3 bright, and 5 on the guitar is about the right balance for a clean even tone that fills the house but doesn't get me arrested...but i've only gotten about an hour to mess around thanks to dumbass work.  i'll figure it out this weekend.  the klon klone through it should be interesting.

Good luck.  I played a 1,200 seat auditorium full of screaming kids with a full band (unmic'd) and, if I recall correctly, I was running into the bright channel with the channels bridged at 5 bright and 4 Normal.  Bass was on 2, and everything else was up past noon.  It was plenty loud.  Kicked on a pair of drives for leads, but, otherwise, it was just guitar and amp.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

I played a dc30 at guitar rez I think, but that was it. I do like both channels - I forget the names but like the lightning and the nighthawk (or one of the other 15 watt guys) are the channel 1 and 2 of the amp. And I pretty much always have it on the 15 watt mode, even on Warped Tour or Dallas House of Blues or wherever. It’s loud AF. Heavy AF too. The Swellers borrowed it once and switched it to 30 but he’s more punk rock than I am.

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I played a dc30 at guitar rez I think, but that was it. I do like both channels - I forget the names but like the lightning and the nighthawk (or one of the other 15 watt guys) are the channel 1 and 2 of the amp. And I pretty much always have it on the 15 watt mode, even on Warped Tour or Dallas House of Blues or wherever. It’s loud AF. Heavy AF too. The Swellers borrowed it once and switched it to 30 but he’s more punk rock than I am.

Gotcha. I was eyeballing a Laurel Canyon or Lightning. I really love 6V6 amps, but I worry it will lose too much Vox ness that way. Most people say it still chimes but I'm not super confident.

I have a hard time believing anyone is more punk rock than you my friend.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I don’t know a ton about tubes/amps really but I think 12ax7 for top boost, and ef86 is the old school ac30 pre amp tube from the first run of ac30s. That’s channel one and 2 on the Matchless, powered by EL84.

Yeah that's the configuration. To my mind, the Vox sound lies in the power section, which is why I think the EL84 is the important part. You really had to get AC30s ripping.

There's definitely a school of thought that leans hard on the EF86s though.

the thing about ef86 is supposed to be that they are finicky and highly susceptible to becoming microphonic. Haven’t had a problem with mine yet. I think o have a spar set of tubes, I hopes that still exists somewhere….

one note from chatter in that group, including from Phil Jamison, is that to the degree that there is any “magic” to the Sampson era Matchless amps it is from better tube quality/tube matching.

Edited by Celery Man

2 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

one note from chatter in that group, including from Phil Jamison, is that to the degree that there is any “magic” to the Sampson era Matchless amps it is from better tube quality/tube matching.

I can definitely buy that. The early 90s really still had a legit stock of tubes. Nowadays not so much. I read something not long ago that something like only 20% of purchased tubes passed screening in the Fender factory.

I actually have an a couple EF86 preamps, one's a pretty cool little stand alone that my old friend made for awhile. I think I linked his stuff before, but he still makes a really good clean boost/preamp which is also EF86 based. https://www.nightowl.industries/edison-preamp

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I have a pretty good line on a Magnatone M10A.  An original.  Have any of you guys ever played one before? 

I know the new ones are supposed to be good quality, but apart from the vibrato, I've heard the originals are a mixed bag.  

I just watched a video on a vintage one.  The vibrato is cool, but I don't know how useful it would be.  The guy was getting a variety of sounds out of the amp, some of them good.  How much are they going for?  I heard some tweed and plexi sounds.  But those aren't exactly hard to come by.

I just watched a video on a vintage one.  The vibrato is cool, but I don't know how useful it would be.  The guy was getting a variety of sounds out of the amp, some of them good.  How much are they going for?  I heard some tweed and plexi sounds.  But those aren't exactly hard to come by.

Doesn’t matter got sold before I could commit. Gonna buy a couple pedals instead.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Doesn’t matter got sold before I could commit. Gonna buy a couple pedals instead.

It kind of struck me as doing a lot of things but master of none.  But hard to tell if you're not in the room with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, DougO said:

The reissue sounded way better when hooked up to the vintage cabs. The speakers seemed to be the most significant factor. They all sounded awesome, but the vintage models with original speakers kicked the most ass.

The CTS sounded a bit nasally, which actually worked when he really dug in.  The speaker on the 68Custom Reissue definitely was the weak spot. It's a Celestian, right?  I thought the 79 with the reissue was a distant second place.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm having problems with my Vox Tony Bruno, and I don't think it will be fixed by our next rehearsal (Friday).  

Any great bargains out there for a small tube amp?  I don't want modeling, I don't need a 50 watt half stack, just something big enough to handle a rehearsal room with a rock trio.  Cheaper is better, I expect this to become the backup amp.

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't need a 50 watt half stack,

Well duh, you need a 100 watt half stack.

What sort of flavor do you like? T bone had a good suggestion for Fendery stuff. Do you use amp distortion or pedals?

Or maybe a blues jr if you want more clean headroom.

My band philosophy is that a clean fender tube platform (maybe with a little breakup dialed in at the amp level, which is why I initially suggested the Pro Jr) and a good whatever dirt pedal of your choice (pedals are so good these days) plus a volume knob can cover just about any territory. And it’s really simple. Add modulation pedals to taste.

This is what I do except I use the clean side of an old Boogie .22 Caliber+ head. Which is a really underrated amp btw.

Just my $.02. YMMV.

• Like 1

I’ve owned both a Blues Jr and a Studio 22. Got rid of the Blues Jr because it couldn’t keep up in a band setting. I absolutely love the Studio 22 for its dirt, but I’ve never been able to dial in a good clean tone.

My recommendation would be a Vox AC15. Or if you’re willing to spend just a little more, this Retro King 18 Watt is a killer deal. It’s a clone of the Marshall 1974. They usually sell for $1200 or more. A buddy of mine had one and it is an amazing amp. Only reasons I haven’t pulled the trigger on this one is I’m not playing out these days (so don’t need an 18 Watt amp) and I don’t like the fancy tolex.

Edited by BrickHorn

I'm definitely on a budget here, it's gonna be the backup amp (or I might sell it once I get my Vox back).  My current dad band is a 3-piece, and although we can get a little loud, my Vox (18 watt) more than keeps up.

I definitely would like a little grunt out of the amp.  Not heavy, maybe more in the Keef realm.  I do use a DS-1 to get more boost when needed.

• Hook 'Em 1

If you want some oomph from the amp, check out the 40 watt Marshall Valvestate combos. Like 200 bucks all day. Noel Gallagher used to tour with one when Oasis started.

It really depends on the amp sound you are going for, since you had a Vox I'm thinking you don't want a Fender, doubly so if you want amp distortion. You really need a pedal array to get most Fenders right.

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

If you want some oomph from the amp, check out the 40 watt Marshall Valvestate combos. Like 200 bucks all day. Noel Gallagher used to tour with one when Oasis started.

It really depends on the amp sound you are going for, since you had a Vox I'm thinking you don't want a Fender, doubly so if you want amp distortion. You really need a pedal array to get most Fenders right.

Actually, my Vox (designed by Tony Bruno) is specifically voiced for the American market.  It's probably somewhere between an AC15 and a Princeton, leaning towards the latter.  I love it.  Unfortunately for Vox, they never really caught on.

I'll look into the Marshalls, thanks.

30 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Actually, my Vox (designed by Tony Bruno) is specifically voiced for the American market.  It's probably somewhere between an AC15 and a Princeton, leaning towards the latter.  I love it.  Unfortunately for Vox, they never really caught on.

I'll look into the Marshalls, thanks.

I'm guessing a used Princeton is out of the budget then?

22 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Moderate tube breakup is the goal.  I was borrowing my buddy's Deluxe Reverb (probably early 90's) and it worked fine.  He needed it back for some recording, though.

To be honest a Deluxe of any vintage was my first thought. A Brown Deluxe would be perfect. But I thought maybe to expensive.

If you want legit Keef, look at old Ampegs. A Jet goes mor like 350 bucks

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I've been inspired in the last couple of days.  I need to dig my old vox out of the attic and get some opinions from you cats as to if it's worth a restoration.

What is it? Anything vintage then 100% yes

Moderate tube breakup is the goal.  I was borrowing my buddy's Deluxe Reverb (probably early 90's) and it worked fine.  He needed it back for some recording, though.
Vox AC10 will get the job done.
To be honest a Deluxe of any vintage was my first thought. A Brown Deluxe would be perfect. But I thought maybe to expensive.

If you want legit Keef, look at old Ampegs. A Jet goes mor like 350 bucks
Or a Harvard with a 12. Absolutely a Stones machine with just 2 knobs.