These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

Last week I bought an accessory that I’ve never really had: a house with a basement. Most expensive guitar related purchase ever. Unfortunately we don’t move until April, but I cannot wait to have a place to turn the amps up. I’m definitely going to put in ear plugs and see what the Katana, Bassbreaker, and Blackstar can do.

Gonna be looking for tips on setting up a real music room at some point. Probably grab a basic drum kit just to have one. I already have a basic bass rig but I’ll likely upgrade the bass because my shitty Ibanez really sucks.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Last week I bought an accessory that I’ve never really had: a house with a basement. Most expensive guitar related purchase ever. Unfortunately we don’t move until April, but I cannot wait to have a place to turn the amps up. I’m definitely going to put in ear plugs and see what the Katana, Bassbreaker, and Blackstar can do.

Gonna be looking for tips on setting up a real music room at some point. Probably grab a basic drum kit just to have one. I already have a basic bass rig but I’ll likely upgrade the bass because my shitty Ibanez really sucks.

FANTASTIC!   Get your guitars/amps/drums set up BEFORE you wife has a chance to turn it in to 'wrapping station/holiday decoration staging area'.  This is very important to the 'music room' process.  

Same part of town?  And we need to have drinks one day soon.  

FANTASTIC!   Get your guitars/amps/drums set up BEFORE you wife has a chance to turn it in to 'wrapping station/holiday decoration staging area'.  This is very important to the 'music room' process.  
Same part of town?  And we need to have drinks one day soon.  

Yeah 1.5 miles from the current house. It’s gonna suck having to wait until April to move in.

Coming soon to my basement:

• Like 1

That’s a good tip. Ironically I was more worried about it being too dry in my usual place (in the winter anyway).

Music room options:

5dbabd69821caeec10840d12ac07c836.jpg

I’m not interested in a desk that big and I may convert an upstairs bedroom to my office so that I have a window. So this room would need to be something else, maybe a bedroom.

ffebba51ca4a4a6525fb1fdf2890f02d.jpg

I don’t buy enough wine to need a wine cellar. It would take a lot of work to tear all that out though.

b6be455d4ffa0b366185414b290975c6.jpg

This is probably the winner. It’s the biggest and the most insulated.

• Like 1

Mine room is in the basement.   I have my computer there so I can do recording and also play along with music or watch lessons.   I have a dehumidifier unit that runs in the summer and a whole house humidifier that runs in the winter.  I can keep the basement at 50% fairly easily.  If it gets too dry during the winter, I will put the acoustics in their cases with humidifiers in them.  

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

That’s a good tip. Ironically I was more worried about it being too dry in my usual place (in the winter anyway).

Music room options:

5dbabd69821caeec10840d12ac07c836.jpg

I’m not interested in a desk that big and I may convert an upstairs bedroom to my office so that I have a window. So this room would need to be something else, maybe a bedroom.

ffebba51ca4a4a6525fb1fdf2890f02d.jpg

I don’t buy enough wine to need a wine cellar. It would take a lot of work to tear all that out though.

b6be455d4ffa0b366185414b290975c6.jpg

This is probably the winner. It’s the biggest and the most insulated.

Option 3. Seems like a lot of space, too.

Edited by Deej

• 2 weeks later...
This seems like a good ass deal. I'd pounce on it had I not just bought an amp. $850 (max b/c he accepts offers) and free shipping. Also, the dude's in Austin so you could do a local pickup if you live there or nearby.
ym75wipsbizyedgknhuq.jpg
https://reverb.com/item/4427386-fulton-webb-boutique-guitar-amp-black-black

Is that the right link?

I saw the dude from Shurman playing one of those at Saxon once several years ago. Sounded great.

What’s their story?

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Is that the right link?

I saw the dude from Shurman playing one of those at Saxon once several years ago. Sounded great.

What’s their story?

Here's the right link for the Deluxe 18 combo:

https://reverb.com/item/9919219-fulton-webb-deluxe-18-2005-black

Fulton-Webb is the guys at Austin Vintage, Steve Fulton and Bill Webb. Bill is/was Eric Johnson's amp tech. High quality, boutique type amps.

New Blackstar //  NAMM 2019

As per usual with Blackstars - they're dirt cheap: $549.00 for the head; $599.00 for the combo; $379 for the cab

The amp’s tone is derived from ECC83 preamp tubes and a pair of EL84 power tubes. It also features two channels – with two voices each – that open up a variety of tonal options.

On the clean channel are what Blackstar dubs American and British voices, labelled as Voice 1 and Voice 2, respectively. The former has a tighter bass response, while the latter is coloured by a looser low end, punchy midrange and singing highs.

On the overdrive channel, you can pick between a classic British Blackstar overdrive and a distortion that references the brand’s HT Venue MkII. The former spans from an edge-of-breakup tone to crunchy saturation, and the latter yields an edgier, high-gain bite.

The HT-20R MkII Amp comes with a great selection of connectivity and utility options. These include a power attenuation switch that reduces output to 10 per cent and an emulated line output that has switchable speaker cab options. Rounding out its features are a three-band EQ, an effects loop, an in-built reverb, and Blackstar’s patented ISF tone control.

Head 

The Blackstar HT-20RH MkII Head

Following the launch of the Studio 10 amps, Blackstar is keeping up the pace with the new HT-20R MkII amp and HT-212V MkII cab. The former is a 20-watt tube model with four voicings, and the latter is a 1×12 vertical cabinet.

blackstar-HT-20RH-MKII@1400x1050-696x522

e98519-xc_HT20RHMKII_detail3.jpg.auto.we

HT-212V MkII vertical cab

This reliable cab is fitted with a single custom-designed 12-inch speaker that can handle an output of 160 watts. It also comes with four- and 16-ohm input options, as well as a semi-open rear enclosure that encourages a deeper low-end response.

blackstar-HT-212V-MKII-vertical-cab@1400

Open/Closed back design

19a210-xc_open-closed.jpg.auto.webp

Combo

The Blackstar HT-20R MkII Combo

They’re the same amp – but the HT-20R is a combo while the HT-20RH is the head alone.

blackstar-HT-20R-MKII@1400x1050.jpg

8dff02-xc_HT20RMKII_detail4.jpg.auto.web

dafd23-xc_HT20RMKII_detail3.jpg.auto.web

Video

11 hours ago, Grandioso said:

New Blackstar //  NAMM 2019

As per usual with Blackstars - they're dirt cheap: $549.00 for the head; $599.00 for the combo; $379 for the cab

Head 

blackstar-HT-20RH-MKII@1400x1050-696x522

e98519-xc_HT20RHMKII_detail3.jpg.auto.we

HT-212V MkII vertical cab

blackstar-HT-212V-MKII-vertical-cab@1400

Open/Closed back design

19a210-xc_open-closed.jpg.auto.webp

Combo

blackstar-HT-20R-MKII@1400x1050.jpg

8dff02-xc_HT20RMKII_detail4.jpg.auto.web

dafd23-xc_HT20RMKII_detail3.jpg.auto.web

Video

Sweetwater, you fucking pricks. You houdini'd all my image postings. Oh well, it's all available at their site and Blackstar's too. 

Never heard of 'em. These dudes have always made bass amps until now. These are just 1x10" cabs but they look interesting. Choice of American or Britich voicing, Only about $550.00 and it weighs 13 lbs., which is incredible. British Racing Green tolex, and either a black (British) or silver (American) cloth grill with white piping. 

Acclaimed bass cab maker Barefaced has unveiled its first foray into guitar amplifiers: a pair of lightweight GX cabinets. Straying from typical closed- and open-backed configurations, these 1×10 cabs feature Barefaced’s patent-pending Augmented Vent Diffractor (AVD) enclosure.

From its research, the brand identified certain flaws in conventional cab enclosures. In a closed-cab setting, the sound from the back of the speaker tends to be contained. In an open-cab configuration, however, sound tends to beam out to the rear.

The AVD enclosure aims to rectify these flaws in two ways: by spreading the midrange and treble sounds in a sideways fashion, and keeping the bass turbocharged via a low-end resonance. The brand claims that by using all the sound from both the back and the front of the speaker, the Barefaced GX has the output of a 2×10 despite only having a single 10-inch speaker.

The AVD’s form also allows for a low-cut filter, which enables you to switch between the weighty, fat tone of a closed-back cab and the tight, lean tone of an open-backed configuration.

The GX cabs come in two versions. Here are the details:

British Voicing

GX cab comes with a smart black cloth grille

Voiced for thick, gutsy tones with crisp highs and clear overtones

Great for rock, blues, jazz and metal

American Voicing

GX cab comes with a shiny silver cloth grille

Voiced for smooth, driven leads and clean rhythm

Great for country, blues, bluegrass and jazz

Check out a promo video for these new cabs:

15" wide and 11" deep so you could put a moderate size head on top. Lulz, though:

These "pedal platform" amps are getting tired. Turn off all your ethereal and 30 different shoegaze pedals and get out of your basement and go do some rocking, man.

Dec18_LNU_Vanflet_UltraClean_WEB.jpg

Anaheim, CA (December 11, 2018) -- -Vanflet will release a new super-clean amplifier, the Ultra-Clean. Developed jointly with the owners of huge pedalboard, the Ultra-Clean is simple and effective. It is designed for musicians who are looking for a clear and powerful sound.

This amp was inspired by the Yarol Poupaud signature amp, which has a single volume control knob.

Features:

• Structur birch wood
  • Celestion Neo Creamback 70W
  • 35 Watts RMS
  • Volume, Bass, Treble, Reverb
  • 1 x 12AT7 + 1 x 12AX7 preamp
  • 2 x 6L6GC poweramp
  • Included a fxloop & 8/16 Ohms impedance selector
  • Dimensions : 510 x 510 x 250
  • Weight: 13 kg
  • Color: White

All of Vanflet's amplifiers are designed and built in the company’s French workshop. Street price is 1390 €* in Europe. The amp will be released in the US during the 2019 NAMM show.

*Nope!

• Like 1