These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

The Dual Professional (in classic 40's V-front) reissue that was teased before the pandemic might finally be making its way into produciton. Fender MIGHT announce something concrete at NAMM this June. 

This is holy grail reissue type stuff.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/joe-bonamassa-reveals-signature-fender-48-dual-professional-amp

Before this you pretty much only had Rift and Victoria doing modern versions of this amp: https://guitar.com/review/rift-amps-tweed-vee/

But if the mothership makes this a thing I'm in like Flynn.

As seen in the background of that famous pic in the Guitar Player magazine article where Billy Gibbons was asked to point at his dorkiest guitar.

Gibbons.jpg.7021600a058d899e86bd1b29b0053925.jpg

Edited by BoomMF
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2022 at 12:53 PM, tbone_ said:

Spilled beer and cigarette smoke are where the mojo comes from

Yeah, buy that thing.  I have four nicely smoke damaged Jensen C12N speakers that sound like the voice of God.   I bought them in the 90s for cheap and the other 3 are the back up for the one in my 73 Deluxe Reverb.

On 6/23/2022 at 9:46 AM, Grandioso said:

Condolences.  Here's a 1959 Fender Super with one of my pencil drawings of Night Ranger guys sitting on it.  I had really bad taste as a young man.  But I could draw.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I’m not sure why that made me think of this, but man I used to hang out with a band named Porcelain Grind, who shared practice space with Eric Johnson back in the day at a place off old Koenig lane. That dude just relentlessly practiced licks over and over and cliffs of dover.  Listened to it while getting high, blowing neon glass and talking 66 mustangs with Bill Maddox, who had a sweet cream colored one. 

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 2

I’m not sure why that made me think of this, but man I used to hang out with a band named Porcelain Grind, who shared practice space with Eric Johnson back in the day at a place off old Koenig lane. That dude just relentlessly practiced licks over and over and cliffs of dover.  Listened to it while getting high, blowing neon glass and talking 66 mustangs with Bill Maddox, who had a sweet cream colored one. 

I have been trying to play that song since 1991. I have some licks better than others, but I would never take the stage and try to play it. I love the challenge though.

I'd give a slight nod to the Mesa cab with the V30s over the Marshall with the 25w Greenbacks.  Just a hint more saturation and the tip of the iceberg knocked off on the treble.  But they both are head and shoulders over the 65w Celestions, which sounded like they had a wet blanket draped over them. 

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Forgive me if this Rick Beato video has already been posted, but I just came across it and wondered what some of you might think.  Personally, I prefer the Marshall with 25 W Celestions.  It's brighter and has more "skronk", less mud.

I agree, 1, 2, 3 was my ranking. It may feel different if I were in the actual room with the amp instead of hearing through a microphone. But the 25w seemed way better.

On 6/29/2022 at 10:28 AM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Condolences.  Here's a 1959 Fender Super with one of my pencil drawings of Night Ranger guys sitting on it.  I had really bad taste as a young man.  But I could draw.

spacer.png

Damn fine work, man. I've been trying to get inspired to pick up a pencil again, yet evil forces seem to be preventing it.

• 2 weeks later...

So in longshot questions, if anyone has any line on NOS Svetlana EL34s I would pay a premium. Not the EH ones or the late Winged Cs but pre 2000 Svetlana branded from St. Petersburg. I have one of my 2555s off for service and the tubes may need replacement. Even if they don't right now, it won't be too long.

36 minutes ago, G650 said:

So in longshot questions, if anyone has any line on NOS Svetlana EL34s I would pay a premium. Not the EH ones or the late Winged Cs but pre 2000 Svetlana branded from St. Petersburg. I have one of my 2555s off for service and the tubes may need replacement. Even if they don't right now, it won't be too long.

I have my eye on this.  The tube struggle is real.

Any guesses on who/where the production of tubes will start up again?

NPR had an article on this a month or two ago.  I can only imagine the tube demand will get worse as time goes on.  

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I have my eye on this.  The tube struggle is real.

Any guesses on who/where the production of tubes will start up again?

NPR had an article on this a month or two ago.  I can only imagine the tube demand will get worse as time goes on.  

Western Electric is supposedly starting domestic tube manufacturing again beyond the 300s they make for Hi Fis. I would guess if it goes ahead, 12AX7 would be the first, then 6L6s and then EL34s. But who knows.

I was actually specifically looking for pre 2000 Svetlanas though, which were the original tubes in the 2555 and 2555SL Marshalls, along with some of the JCM 800s.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

I remember seeing NOS ones on kcanostubes.com for $75 a pop, but they are out of stock now. 

Good luck. 

I haven't seen anything other than the EH ones or the Winged C ones in ages. It's actually been easier to get NOS blackplate RCAs than these which is amazing to me. Of course the RCAs are several hundred bucks so there is more of a barrier there.

Eh, buying new tubes would be a waste of money. The Jub has been retired to studio work only for a long time now, so it can sit for the time being if need be. I do have Blackie Pagano doing the service on it so if anyone can find some legit tubes it would be him. And the ones in it may be ok, I don't know. This is more about hoarding than anything.

While we're at it, I'm on the prowl for NOS Tung Sol 5881s too for my Blackface. The Sylvanias in it now just don't sound the same. My '59 Bassman has blackplate RCAs, and god willing they will go the distance for me.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Not all 6L6WGB tubes are rebadged 5881s unfortunately. A lot were, generally because I'm sure it was cheaper just to roll them off the assembly line than retool, but not all. The 5881 screen was 400v, but the 6L6WGB  could be as low as 300v. Tube dealers sell them as the same, and claim that a lot, as they most likely are, but also put big disclaimers not to use in 6L6GC amps, which is what I want to do. I think the 5881 gives me more piece of mind. My Bassman guy in Nashville looked recently but said he hasn't seen any he would trust in awhile.

Edited by G650
fuck my spelling

• 1 month later...

Question:  I have these:
image.png.65bb019d1d17c347da26c28515a94028.png image.png.9a46f6f49e08f2538a08c70d423d1ea1.png

I've been out of the gigging game for awhile, and the head seems like it's acting up... Thinking of another head for the BW.  Something vintage like this:
image.png.11f448d9697a5bc1053bc38776741611.png

Question:  would you buy this (just over 2 bills) or something newer, like one of the newer little thingies, i.e. minimax, Warwick Gnome, Trace Elliot Elf, etc.)?  If it matters, I'm looking for a classic rock tone/vibe, which is why I'd opt for the heavy Peavy mofo, but that's about the only reason.

Thanks, I'll hang up and not listen.

19 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Question:  I have these:
image.png.65bb019d1d17c347da26c28515a94028.png image.png.9a46f6f49e08f2538a08c70d423d1ea1.png

I've been out of the gigging game for awhile, and the head seems like it's acting up... Thinking of another head for the BW.  Something vintage like this:
image.png.11f448d9697a5bc1053bc38776741611.png

Question:  would you buy this (just over 2 bills) or something newer, like one of the newer little thingies, i.e. minimax, Warwick Gnome, Trace Elliot Elf, etc.)?  If it matters, I'm looking for a classic rock tone/vibe, which is why I'd opt for the heavy Peavy mofo, but that's about the only reason.

Thanks, I'll hang up and not listen.

I have that Peavey head and the 2 x 15 cab over in my shop right now, been my buddies bass rig for 20 years.

My question to you would be how committed are you to the vibe to haul heavy ass amps. Newer amps get really fucking close, and are easy to manage. But there is always the 1% from the real deal you can't get. I'd also say the Peavey 200 is an amp that is vintage relative to today, but it's a little newer than say an Ampeg, Acoustic or Sunn. So a lot of real classic stuff would predate the Peavey.

I am a huge Peavey fan though, bang for the buck they have been excellent over the years. I had a Classic 50, a 5150, and Bandit 112 practice amp...

Personally I'm committed to the old stuff, but I know it isn't for everyone.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

I have that Peavey head and the 2 x 15 cab over in my shop right now, been my buddies bass rig for 20 years.

My question to you would be how committed are you to the vibe to haul heavy ass amps. Newer amps get really fucking close, and are easy to manage. But there is always the 1% from the real deal you can't get. I'd also say the Peavey 200 is an amp that is vintage relative to today, but it's a little newer than say an Ampeg, Acoustic or Sunn. So a lot of real classic stuff would predate the Peavey.

I am a huge Peavey fan though, bang for the buck they have been excellent over the years. I had a Classic 50, a 5150, and Bandit 112 practice amp...

Personally I'm committed to the old stuff, but I know it isn't for everyone.

Thx for this.

For years I was a keyboardist and guitarist in bands, so I had to haul not only the heavy bass stuff (although the BW cabinet is sorta relatively light for the size), including a Fender Twin Reverb with the two 5-ton Fender speakers(!).

I don't think the gigging will be all that frequent, and I can pop it in.out of my truck.

I just figured the 400 would give me the Peavy sound in the bass (which I also like) but a bit more pop than the 200.

I suppose if the lugging gets too much I can buy a new-fangled lil' amp (I do love the idea, though hauling a vintage head really isn't much work compared to the other stuff).  But this wouldn't be any soundophile's level.. I'm not super-specific on the "vintage" sound.  If a newer microhead can approximate it, good 'nuff for me.

I might spring for the 400, we'll see.

11 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Thx for this.

For years I was a keyboardist and guitarist in bands, so I had to haul not only the heavy bass stuff (although the BW cabinet is sorta relatively light for the size), including a Fender Twin Reverb with the two 5-ton Fender speakers(!).

I don't think the gigging will be all that frequent, and I can pop it in.out of my truck.

I just figured the 400 would give me the Peavy sound in the bass (which I also like) but a bit more pop than the 200.

I suppose if the lugging gets too much I can buy a new-fangled lil' amp (I do love the idea, though hauling a vintage head really isn't much work compared to the other stuff).  But this wouldn't be any soundophile's level.. I'm not super-specific on the "vintage" sound.  If a newer microhead can approximate it, good 'nuff for me.

I might spring for the 400, we'll see.

Yeah I mean the good thing is if you give the 400 a shot, you could always probably get back out of it what you paid at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

Aquilars are great sounding and expensive.

I have a Fender Rumble 500 thats a workhorse. In The Koffs practice space we have a Peavey TNT that I think I prefer to the Fender. I played through a SVT Classic last night and think I prefer the Peavey, but then I probably didn't know what I was doing dialing it in.

Speaking of last night, it started raining while Emperor was playing poolside at Psycho Swim. They said fuck it a left the stage just as were were showing up. It their absence we got to see this Marshall Stack go up in smoke. Im no scientist, but I'm guessing you should try to keep these things dry in adverse weather.

20220818_202406.thumb.jpg.245e48493d83cfec8fb1547e493bcbe0.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1