These Go to 11 - The Guitar Amp Thread

dcbc

Is that a JCM 900 or 2000 Marshall?

I had an original Peavy 5150. Sick amp, just very one dimensional in my experience.
The guy in the band playing after us on Saturday plays through 6l50. Super nice guy and absolutely sick guitar player. I just asked him if I can play through his this weekend. Save me from lugging and amp down, plus I'll get to try one out in a live setting.

I didnt catch what that Marshal was other than dead.

I went to the guitar store on Saturday and they had a new shipment of the Positive Grid Spark 40. They had 12 in the shop. I went home and watched a lot of YouTube on it, and decided to go in.

When I went back Sunday, they only had 3 left. Luckily one was white.

00643603ca88b25452c4d2e51b31ef87.jpg

I live in a 400 sq ft studio so it is perfect for me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I went to the guitar store on Saturday and they had a new shipment of the Positive Grid Spark 40. They had 12 in the shop. I went home and watched a lot of YouTube on it, and decided to go in.

What's the white guitar on the left with what is apparently a g bender?

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, G650 said:

I've been blown away by what Silverface amps go for these days. They are definitely underrated though. I should have gotten a couple SF Bassmans when they were essentially free

Yeah. I'm kicking myself for not grabbing them when they were cheap. I remember seeing Champs for $100-150. 

4 hours ago, Deej said:

Just putting this here...out of all my amps, my 73 Silverface Champ, retubed with NOS tubes is head and shoulders above the rest. Damn, Fender knew how to make an amp. That tone.

Salivating Homer Simpson GIF

If you have a 4 ohm 4x12 cab, plug the Champ into it.  You won't believe it.  You'll probably have to get an alligator clip to 1/4" female adapter, but it'll be worth it.

Edited by dcbc

My 12' x 12' office space is leading me to a pretty major amp reshuffle.  My main use case is recording, either songs I write or contributing guitar tracks to other songwriters/composers.  So I have to have a rig that is versatile and easy to record with.  I'll also never have a proper room for micing an amp, isolation space, etc...  So that means modeling/digital, and as such I am selling almost everything amp-related and getting down to two rigs, each with a 1x12 cabinet footprint.

First will be a stereo modeler rig.  An AxeFX 3 or equivalent rack mount modeler unit, a stereo rack mount power amp, two 1x12 cabs all stacked vertically.  I'll be able to run 4 outs from the AxeFX.  Two outs will go to the stereo power amp to the two 1x12 cabs for monitoring and maximum "amp in the room" feel with current modeling tech.  Two will go to my audio interface and into my DAW for recording.  I'll be able to split the signal in the AxeFX and run stereo rigs if I want, one amp going to one cab, another amp going to the other cab, etc...  These two signals will be recorded at the same time with a single take and can be panned left or right or whatever.  In addition, I can also run a dry signal out of the AxeFX and into the DAW to also record just the basic guitar signal allowing for reamping through real amps if someone wants to take what I provide and pay to get it processed elsewhere.  The AxeFX will also do bass and acoustic amp modeling and be my primary rig for those, even when not recording.  The cabinets will be a speaker design provided by celestion for their F12-X200 speaker.   So all that for in a single 1x12 cabinet footprint.  Its going to look something like this:   

image.jpeg.b576a81f3812783d350279b396143a95.jpeg

Rig 2 is just going to be a 1x12 real valve combo or head and cab for when I want to just plug into a real amp and play with real tube amp tone.  Right now, I am keeping my Friedman mini Dirty Shirley and Mesa Boogie Lonestar cab for this, but once I get other things sold and the modeling rig acquired, I'm going to be looking at other options.

I dunno if anyone gives a shit about all that, but if so, I can post more about it as I build it out.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

Well I am pondering a SF Fender Twin because I clearly don't have  enough loud amps. Strong chance you are more intelligent than I am.

Well previously, I was working with 4-5 real amps into an ox box with some multi-fx units, which any idiot except me could foresee not scaling into a 12' x 12' space, so I dunno...

This guy posts on the fb North Texas Guitar Trader group a lot. He only has very high quality instruments and always priced just on the higher side of reasonable. Must be working for him.

I used to take lessons at Charley’s. Told the guy I wanted to learn blues. He said (white guy) you are too white and yuppie to learn blues, but I will take your money. You can’t play blues without sleeping on a bunch of pool tables.

He wasn’t wrong.

He had a poster of Stevie Ray wearing a Charley’s shirt in his little lesson closet. I said one time in my snottiest voice, Stevie Ray never used his pinky, when he was trying to get me to do so. Well you ain’t Stevie Ray he said, so use your goddamned pinky.

He wasn’t wrong about that either.

e7b7b9a152d034c880c576292547d28e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I used to take lessons at Charley’s. Told the guy I wanted to learn blues. He said (white guy) you are too white and yuppie to learn blues, but I will take your money. You can’t play blues without sleeping on a bunch of pool tables.

He wasn’t wrong.

He had a poster of Stevie Ray wearing a Charley’s shirt in his little lesson closet. I said one time in my snottiest voice, Stevie Ray never used his pinky, when he was trying to get me to do so. Well you ain’t Stevie Ray he said, so use your goddamned pinky.

He wasn’t wrong about that either.

e7b7b9a152d034c880c576292547d28e.jpg

This is funny because I'm firmly of the George Carlin opinion of whit le people got no business playing the blues. Which ironically I'm better at playing blues shuffle better than anything else, not because I'm good per se but because I suck at everything else. Mostly I think I'm just was more at ease playing behind the beat.

I also don't use my pinky at all. Also probably because I suck.

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

This is funny because I'm firmly of the George Carlin opinion of whit le people got no business playing the blues. Which ironically I'm better at playing blues shuffle better than anything else, not because I'm good per se but because I suck at everything else. Mostly I think I'm just was more at ease playing behind the beat.

I also don't use my pinky at all. Also probably because I suck.

Joe Bonamassa would like to have a word with you! :P

• Haha 1

Gotta say, I really like the little Blackstar HT-1 "practice" amp. It's only 1 amp, but can wake everyone in the house if I crank it. The tone controls are pretty limited, but I can dial between an American and British tone, and found one that I really like. The thing weighs all of 11 lbs, so it doesn't kill my arm when I bring it to church. Once it's mic'ed up, nobody can tell it's a small amp.

13 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I had earplugs in on the balcony, and it was still loud as hell. Meanwhile, J just stood right in the swirling vortex of three cranked stacks all night, never blinking an eye. Legend.

We were front and center, and it wasn't too loud, but I noticed it got a lot louder when I'd head to the loo or to the back to get a beer.  I think the sound just goes over the heads of the floor audience.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

We were front and center, and it wasn't too loud, but I noticed it got a lot louder when I'd head to the loo or to the back to get a beer.  I think the sound just goes over the heads of the floor audience.

I saw them at the Union Ballroom in 1993.  My ears are still ringing.

Then I was walking through the airport in Seattle a couple years ago, and J was sitting there out front of the SubPop store doing a record release show on a big ole J-200.  I bought his record and had him sign it.  I tried to engage in some gear talk, and he was super low talker.  I could barely hear him.  Which struck me as strange.  You'd figure that sitting in front of those rigs for years would've deafened him.  

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 10:56 PM, Superhero said:

Gotta say, I really like the little Blackstar HT-1 "practice" amp. It's only 1 amp, but can wake everyone in the house if I crank it. The tone controls are pretty limited, but I can dial between an American and British tone, and found one that I really like. The thing weighs all of 11 lbs, so it doesn't kill my arm when I bring it to church. Once it's mic'ed up, nobody can tell it's a small amp.

Plug it in to a bigger speaker and it sounds even more awesome. 

On 8/22/2022 at 3:23 AM, Fastbreak said:

I really like my Spark. I need to get the footswitch for it though. 

Sold all my amps and got the modeling rig built around the AxeFX 3 and it sounds and more importantly feels and responds great.  It is the best non real tube playing experience I have had by far.

Will be getting a 1x12 valve amp at some point in the next 6 months, but need to save up some money first and I will probably pick up a long scale Les Paul first.

A6CCCD2A-2A34-45BF-93FD-9671182E5C34.jpeg

98BC6007-443F-412E-B53B-BC8E1FD25123.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1