Best Things You Bought During The Pandemic

Superhero

I’ll post some.   Keep in mind that I decided to make all of these solely out of the wood on hand.  Bought no other boards, and even repurposed many of the nails/screws.  They’re not beautiful, but they work.   4 of them are in the back.   I gave 2 to my mom & M-I-L, and sold a few others.   

81B12396-4217-4D40-A1AD-657DD33E2DA8.thumb.jpeg.b232fe60e68f771008689641594f8e8f.jpeg
9DC89796-A02D-4718-9275-49F84CD2F72E.thumb.jpeg.f3a8b2553d2d264008990fb3f16d45e5.jpeg
DEA30355-1614-451A-A27F-E0866DA01CA8.thumb.jpeg.aa8f1273ca6b2036a97a9d8f0114df4d.jpeg

Ugggh I’m that guy with this bc they look really good.... is there any concern using fence slats for this as I assume most are pressure treated/loaded with cancer stuff? Or am I off on that assumption?

22 minutes ago, bluto said:

Ugggh I’m that guy with this bc they look really good.... is there any concern using fence slats for this as I assume most are pressure treated/loaded with cancer stuff? Or am I off on that assumption?

from what i've read, fence slats as old as these have lost all that protective layer, which is one reason they're in that shape.  Cedar is what you'd want to use anyway.  Also, there's 2 layers of planting paper between the dirt and the fence slats.  

51 minutes ago, luke duke said:

That’s the worst ceiling fan that I’ve ever seen. It was hideous when it was brand new.

I'd generally agree, but it went amazingly well with the decor of the room when it was a playroom for 4 kids all under 8.

It will be replaced.

Edited by SurlyORama

4 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

No beer fridge.  Would not bang Build 

Alas, no beer fridge.  We are a just in time inventory on beer.  Can't have thirsty teenage climbers reducing stock, plus I don't have the energy to keep tabs on inventory.

We spent a month traveling the western US with an almost 4 year old and an almost one year old in it. We did set up the back of the van to where we had a table/mattress conversion as well. I think I posted about it on the camping and backpacking thread last summer, but I can certainly give you more if you can't find the posts.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

We spent a month traveling the western US with an almost 4 year old and an almost one year old in it. We did set up the back of the van to where we had a table/mattress conversion as well. I think I posted about it on the camping and backpacking thread last summer, but I can certainly give you more if you can't find the posts.

I thought I was subbed to the camping thread, but I guess not. I’ll go dig it up and check it out. 

I would have to put a rack system on my truck, but that isn’t a deal breaker.

I’ll hit you up at some point not too far off once caught up. 

The biggest disadvantage is that you have to pack the tent up to go anywhere. However' you can leave all your sleeping bags or blankets in it when you pack it up' and it only takes about 15 minutes start to finish once you get the hang of it. You can do a quick and dirty version of setting it up in half that time if the weather is bad. Just leave some stuff at your camp site to show that it is occupied when dispersed camping and you should generally be fine. Obviously I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'll post pictures later, but I screened in my back porch. It's the best decision I've ever made and it's glorious. Clearly the best room in my house. TV, large out door sectional with comfortable seating that I can also take a nap on while watching Longhorn sports. I have trees that keep it cool, but two fans to keep the breeze moving. Also has two chairs and a small table to have coffee/breakfast at one end. I've had several buddies ask me to help them with theirs after they had contractors tell them it would be $7k+.

With furniture, TV, door, etc... it cost me $1500.

• Hook 'Em 4

Also bought the Ryobi 40V battery powered weedeater that has an edger and pole saw attachment.  The wife actually joins in on occasion to do yardwork, and I got tired of her asking which gas goes in which tool.  Bought the blower that goes with that battery this spring.  Can weedeat, edge, and blow the grass and not even use 1/4 of the battery life.  Used the pole saw for about 3.5 hours one day and still had battery left in it.  It's as powerful as the Echo tools I used to use.  

On 4/16/2021 at 11:03 AM, Droopy said:

I'll post pictures later, but I screened in my back porch. It's the best decision I've ever made and it's glorious. Clearly the best room in my house. TV, large out door sectional with comfortable seating that I can also take a nap on while watching Longhorn sports. I have trees that keep it cool, but two fans to keep the breeze moving. Also has two chairs and a small table to have coffee/breakfast at one end. I've had several buddies ask me to help them with theirs after they had contractors tell them it would be $7k+.

With furniture, TV, door, etc... it cost me $1500.

Gonna need to see those pics!

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

The wife actually joins in on occasion to do yardwork, and I got tired of her asking which gas goes in which tool. 

Braggart. Mine helps too, but has a balls-to-the wall approach with my equipment, and asking questions only slows things down. Her question would have been “Why isn’t this thing running right?  It worked just fine until I put more gas in it.  What’s wrong with the gas?”  

1 minute ago, Kennythetiger said:

Braggart. Mine helps too, but has a balls-to-the wall approach with my equipment, and asking questions only slows things down. Her question would have been “Why isn’t this thing running right?  It worked just fine until I put more gas in it.  What’s wrong with the gas?”  

She did that to my TDI Jetta that I used for work trips...before we were even engaged.  

My younger brother did that to my step dads weed eater. I laughed when I heard.

59 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

My younger brother did that to my step dads weed eater. I laughed when I heard.

My step dad had an old 2-stroke tiller from my grandpa. My step brother thought he would help one time, and well, not sot so much. 

So dad converted it to run off a propane tank. That was 25 years ago, and they just took that old clunker down to give it to him last summer. Still runs like hell, still ugly as fuck with a big cylinder on it. Wish I still had a pic. 

47 minutes ago, mrlasky said:

300 bottle wine cooler for the garage.  And lots and lots of wine.  

I absolutely read this as "300 bottles of wine cooler for the garage". 

While it might make you popular with neighborhood junior high school kids, I can only imagine how happy these guys will be:

Dick Maugg, silent pitchman in 1980s Bartles & Jaymes ads, dead at 83 - New  York Daily News

On 4/15/2021 at 9:37 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'm impressed you were able to find so many holds during the pandemic.

We got in early from the manufacturers since this was something we had been thinking about doing already.

We had a bunch of holds on the outside of the garage that we moved inside.

..and we had some friends in Houston that dismantled their wall and we swooped in and got their pads, holds, plywood, and hardware.

We have since upgraded the padding as well.

Lot of damn work though.