Sock Attack

Kyle

Post a purposely inflammatory link from the NYPost implying BLM/race relations will never change because of one apparent case of gritting.  Then act surprised at the pushback and jump into the fray with unearned, aggy-like fearlessness and attitude.  Have an established history of doing just that in the DT/CR.  Start yet another dumb thread to whine about it.  

image.png

Some like to banter about rep but I prefer the rep/posts ratio when considering if someone is worth listening to...at least in the Surly sense.  69 / 1600 = poo.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Like 1

I think the moderators need to have a pop-up box that ask you if you really want to go into the CR and then some kind of password and affidavit that ask you to be sure that you want to post in the CR.

I think the CR was meant to create some kind of containment but apparently they hired some people from Wuhan to run it.

My advice, don’t go there. Nobody is changing minds or the world in that forum.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

I think the moderators need to have a pop-up box that ask you if you really want to go into the CR and then some kind of password and affidavit that ask you to be sure that you want to post in the CR.

I think the CR was meant to create some kind of containment but apparently they hired some people from Wuhan to run it.

My advice, don’t go there. Nobody is changing minds or the world in that forum.

It depends on your views.  Currently I find it funny, informative and the prevailing sentiment to generally match my outlook on equal rights, international relations, social practices, role of government, and general worldview.  

Ten years ago, when I first joined this ragtag group, I found the CR to be something to be avoided due to guys like Swam and their constant right wing meme factory.  Unending posts on tan suits, fast n furious, Benghazi, evil Hillary, budget etc was a beating...it didn’t match my view and felt like veiled racism / misogyny.  

People who constantly call CR a cesspool but don’t engage in honest, factual debate there get no respect from me (which is worth nothing anyways).  It’s moderated pretty fairly with that concept in mind, and things intended as a thinly veiled approach to inflame get moved there.  

Posting a tabloid article with an inflammatory thread title and then crying about it in DT when you get negged is not honest debate.  Add in a history of that behavior...well don’t be surprised when you get fatwa’d.  His post says nothing about CR or how it’s moderated. 

• Hook 'Em 9

3 hours ago, Homercles said:

People who constantly call CR a cesspool but don’t engage in honest, factual debate there get no respect from me (which is worth nothing anyways).  It’s moderated pretty fairly with that concept in mind, and things intended as a thinly veiled approach to inflame get moved there.  

3 hours ago, Homercles said:

I found the CR to be something to be avoided due to guys like Swam and their constant right wing meme factory.  Unending posts on tan suits, fast n furious, Benghazi, evil Hillary, budget etc was a beating...it didn’t match my view and felt like veiled racism / misogyny.  

Go look at the titles on the 1st page and try to be neutral. It is full of ideologies with caustic (Blah Blah Blah is a piece of $#@! ) viewpoints that lean heavily left. The CR is a mutual admiration society. They feel comfortable in that bubble. So does the right. Political forums on Texags fall on the other end of the spectrum. It looks severe according to those on the far left just as a typical Texags poster would look at the CR and be incredulous on the left bias.  Also, the CR follows an 80/20 rule. 80 percent of the posts come from 20 percent of the posters. That is likely an underestimate and I wouldn't be surprised if it's 95/5.

There are a few posters who fall on either side of the political spectrum that engage in appropriate debate. But why does one need to stand knee deep in CR sewage to do it?

I haven't looked at the OP's history of posting. But it is clear he was crowdsourced by several posters or socks. I don't have a strong opinion on whether or not he should have come here to bitch about it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

I haven't looked at the OP's history of posting. But it is clear he was crowdsourced by several posters or socks. I don't have a strong opinion on whether or not he should have come here to bitch about it. 

It's called the Cabal.  A group of surly posters who immediately go to the asshole end of the room. They're dicks in their posting style, and responding to  anything they don't agree with.  

2 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Also, the CR follows an 80/20 rule. 80 percent of the posts come from 20 percent of the posters. That is likely an underestimate and I wouldn't be surprised if it's 95/5.

that's basically every internet board.

Go look at the titles on the 1st page and try to be neutral. It is full of ideologies with caustic (Blah Blah Blah is a piece of $#@! ) viewpoints that lean heavily left. The CR is a mutual admiration society. They feel comfortable in that bubble. So does the right. Political forums on Texags fall on the other end of the spectrum. It looks severe according to those on the far left just as a typical Texags poster would look at the CR and be incredulous on the left bias.  Also, the CR follows an 80/20 rule. 80 percent of the posts come from 20 percent of the posters. That is likely an underestimate and I wouldn't be surprised if it's 95/5.

There are a few posters who fall on either side of the political spectrum that engage in appropriate debate. But why does one need to stand knee deep in CR sewage to do it?

I feel that’s a reasoned response done honestly.  Have no problem with that...and you are not wrong that thread titles are arguably unnecessary at that vitriol level.  

I’d argue that the extreme movement to the right of sources like Fox, Breitbart, ONN, and the Republican Party as a whole make somewhat center-left concepts such as Medicare for all, reasonable gun control and using the law to ensure women have a say in their reproductive health, are being more and more vilified as ‘the far left’.  

After years of this constant barrage of fear mongering and recent events in DC, Minneapolis, Atlanta, etc...and with democrats having (tenuous) control, people who are tired of it are being very vocal about their views to swing things back a but.  In addition, a lot of those vocal people on the right are being thrown into prison for storming the capitol, or otherwise getting their due...like Barr not being welcomed back at their old firm.  

I’m a traditional center-left type but according to someone like McConnell I am a left wing activist.  I believe history will judge my views as more appropriate than what the old CR looked like, but time will tell. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Blah Blah Blah is a piece of $#@!

i'd like to point out that only ted cruz is named as a piece of shit in a thread title on the first page.  only josh hawley has a similarly invective rich title.  even jim jordan, a man credibly accused of covering up rape at ohio state, only gets "jim jordan"

also, you can curse here. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Newdoc said:

It started in DT. It was moved.

No CR in DT cuts both ways.

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I feel that’s a reasoned response done honestly.  Have no problem with that...and you are not wrong that thread titles are arguably unnecessary at that vitriol level.  

I’d argue that the extreme movement to the right of sources like Fox, Breitbart, ONN, and the Republican Party as a whole make somewhat center-left concepts such as Medicare for all, reasonable gun control and using the law to ensure women have a say in their reproductive health, are being more and more vilified as ‘the far left’.  

After years of this constant barrage of fear mongering and recent events in DC, Minneapolis, Atlanta, etc...and with democrats having (tenuous) control, people who are tired of it are being very vocal about their views to swing things back a but.  In addition, a lot of those vocal people on the right are being thrown into prison for storming the capitol, or otherwise getting their due...like Barr not being welcomed back at their old firm.  

I’m a traditional center-left type but according to someone like McConnell I am a left wing activist.  I believe history will judge my views as more appropriate than what the old CR looked like, but time will tell. 

There are a metric shit-ton of self-professed centrists on here, but when we do those political compass tests, they ain't...or their results aren't shared.

Some'a'y'all might be centrists in the greater Austin MSA, but you damned sure aren't in the real world.

It's amazing how their 'gentle correction' posts never target left leaning POVs.  Miraculous, even.

Edited by slorch

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

There are a metric shit-ton of self-professed centrists on here, but when we do those political compass tests, they ain't...or their results aren't shared.

Some'a'y'all might be centrists in the greater Austin MSA, but you damned sure aren't in the real world.

It's amazing how their 'gentle correction' posts never target left leaning POVs.  Miraculous, even.

Huh. I guess my two warning points don't count then.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Wait, you are trying to sit here and tell me that ted cruz isn't a piece of shit?  

That's not left or right, that's fucking fact. 

• Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Wait, you are trying to sit here and tell me that ted cruz isn't a piece of shit?  

That's not left or right, that's fucking fact. 

now hold on, he could be talking about matt gaetz or ken paxton or ron desantis or josh hawley or

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, immamac said:

I didn't even have to ban Kyle. You guys did the dirty work for me. He blew right past purgatory too, seems like good riddance. 

How does that work? -100 in a short enough time?

Edit: I thought they were eligible for purgatory.

Edited by cactusflinthead

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, as a person who leans fairly conservative, the "right" is not sponsoring any good ideas at all.  They're just spewing shit that deserves to be shat upon.

The "shift" of the right into the stupid has also exposed some ideas that were being pushed for a while as reasoned conservative ideas as nothing but pure self-interest and appeal to a certain type of voter that has not been previously identified with conservatives.

I can no longer support hardly anything the "right" or the GOP stands for anymore.  All I can do is shit on it.  And talk about the pros and cons of liberal or progressive ideas with liberals and progressives.

I have never thought liberal or progressive ideas were bad just because of the side of the aisle they came from.  Sometimes I have thought they were pollyannaish or too damned expensive or a host of other problems.

I'm politically somewhat stateless, but I know for damned sure that between the left and the right, the left seems to have a monopoly on decent ideas.

I mostly identify with this. I do think there are a few good policy folks, including some senators, who are probably considered RINOs by the Trump wing. I try to follow them closely because I perceive them as genuinely interested in serving the country and finding solutions to our issues based on their political leanings. 

• Hook 'Em 1